43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Question bank for prelims 2017 - All CSE 2017 Aspirants Gather Here

edited December 2016 in Daily Quiz
Hey everyone,,this thread is being created by me as an initiative for 2017.

I know, many are still baffled by 2016 result (including me), and its okay to be sad, but maturity is when we can stand back immediately after we fail.
Given the time constraints, its better we move on and start working for the next term.
Before this prelims, I was part of the prelims question bank thread which turned out to be one of most useful thread in my preparation. I was unfortunate to join forum late enough but it still helped me faced many questions directly or indirectly in the exam. People there were awesome and I had best time with them. Fortunately, most of them have cleared prelims and I am happy for them because they deserved it.
As the quote in above picture shows the value of a drop in making an ocean. Similarly, given that just 8 months are remaining, we'll prepare for mains along with pre from tomorrow.
We read current affairs, but we couldn't remember some of them in the exam or sometime don't delve into concept associated with them. So, from tomorrow, I'll be posting question which will be totally focussed from upsc point of view from my perception every night. Like if cauvery river dispute is in issue currently, I'll put question from stanley/mettur dam to Central water commission to anything related to it which could be asked possibly in prelims. Thiis way, by june, you'll definitely be able to recall and attempt some questions directly or indirectly especially if you just revise current affairs 15 days before exam.
I will put up some questions, someone else will put up and in this way, in just half an hour a day, you'll be able to cover concepts, current affairs and relevant portion of IYB at same time.
Attempting questions is the best way to retain more and more things in exam and in this way, we can cover most things upsc may ask. Trust me, if we do this regularly, you'll not even need any expensive test series if you don't wish to join.
This year upsc paper also made sure that they covered 1-2 questions from relevant issues from each month from september to august.
So, read newspaper everyday, mark 4-5 things in paper which you felt important from exam perspective and just put up-3-4 questions and solve questions put up by everyone. It will take care of your exam automatically. This will also help you in mains or cover something of the day if you couldn't read newspaper.

So, sayonara for today and will meet you from tomorrow 10 pm. Willing people can start contributing from tomorrow and It will become a group in itself soon once habits gets developed. I'll contribute irrespective of anyone want to participate or not.
Thanks.
little-drops-of-water-little-grains-of-sand-make-the-mighty-ocean-and-the-pleasant-sand-julia-af-carney-nature-quote.jpg
1496 x 1125 - 93K
GRAPHENE v 2.0....
·

Comments

• Very good initiative. I will try my best to be a active contributor here.
    ·
  • mandawar said:

Very good initiative. I will try my best to be a active contributor here.

thanks @mandawar... :)
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    lets do it!
    ·
  • @stable_graphene
    Good initiative.. I'll start contributing after 2-3 days break....
    Thank you for creating this thread

Don't watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going.
    ·
  • That's the spirit man !!!.. ATB :)

PS- Feeling bad for U and few other good and DESERVING souls here.. Will keep a tab on the thread..but will be having very less active presence for some time :) AKR ..Apna Khyal Rkhna sir g !!
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer

·
  • edited September 2016
    Lets Solve question

1. ASW Corvette Kadmatt of the Indian Navy is
    a) a sophisticated RADAR system fitted on top of submarines to detect mal activities.
    b) a fleet of ships tied together technologically to act as first defence.
    c) a submarine that generates in-house nuclear power.
    d) an indigenous anti-submarine warship to protect India’s maritime interest.

2. The recently launched Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation (PRAGATI) platform will give boost to the concept of
    1) Cooperative federalism
    2) Good governance
    3) Gender inclusiveness
    Select the correct answer using the codes given below :
    a) 1 and 2
    b) 2 and 3
    c) 1 and 3
    d) All of the above

3. Which of the following can be the easiest way to predict the upcoming Earthquake?
    a) Huge release of Methane gas
    b) Release of Radon gas
    c) Release of Carbon dioxide
    d) None of the above

4. Consider the following statements :
    1. Strategic Debt Restructuring' (SDR) is a new tool made available to banks and financial institutions by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for the recovery of non-performing assets (NPAs).

2. The CDR scheme aims to revive stressed companies and provide an option to the JLF (Joint Lenders Forum) to initiate change of management in the companies, which fail to achieve the milestones under the Strategic Debt Restructuring (SDR).
    Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
    a) 1 only
    b) 2 only
    c) Both 1 and 2
    d) Neither 1 nor 2

5. As per Indian culture, the word ‘Kolam’ is associated with
    1. Art of Rangoli in southern parts of the country.
    2. A type of tribe.
    3. Art of weaving by the people of ancient origin.
    Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
    a) 1 only
    b) 1 and 2
    c) 3 only
    d) 1, 2 and 3

6. Which of the following is true about NBFCs?
    1. They are a company registered under the Companies Act, 1956
    2. They issue cheques and accept deposits
    3. They may be involved in several businesses such as chit funds, gold loans and housing finance etc.
    Select the correct statements from the codes given below
    a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 1 and 3 only
    c) 3 only
    d) 1, 2 and 3

I will provide answers tommorrow, logging out

·
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks to everyone for commiting to this thread.
    Just a request: please post 3-4 questions per day per user only whichever u feel best without tending to overlap so that the thread dont runs so fast that it becomes impossible to catch up: coz that creates a sense of frustration and lack of willingness to participate.
    So even if 5 person contributes 4 questions per day, it will turn into 20 questions per day and could be easily covered in 30 minutes.
    Try to keep your focus on concepts and your weekness identification by solving 20-25 questions a day, that will also give you a sense of satisfaction without affecting your daily time-table.
    We will try to make it fast-track 2-3 months before prelims somewhere in april when we would've consolidated our already built base during all these months.
    One strategy that improved my performance a lot even if it couldn't help me get through coz i got late to follow it was not just finding the right answer but also to find why a particular answer is wrong unless its clearly explicit to be.
    special request: please give ample time to your optional and mains syllabus too for next 4-5 months coz we are trying to follow an integrated approach for 2017, clearling pre is just one of our aim but not the sole aim. Ultimate aim is clearing cse 2017.

Thanks again.
    will start working on this thread live from tomorrow evening.

Btw, please try to work democratically here :# :# and feel free to suggest any improvisation to keep running this thread smoothly. :)
    PS: @Laal_Saalaam sir, thanks for posting 1st sets of questions and @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh sir-jee for your kind encouragement. :)
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....
    ·
  • Good initiative @stable_graphene ,@Laal_Saalaam. Keep going all the best.

गिरते है शाह-सवार ही मैदाने-जंग मे,
    वो तुफ्ल क्याँ गीरेंगे जो घुटनो के बल चलते हो.
    (इक़बाल)
    I may not agree with what you say,but I will die for your Right to say it.
    ·
  • thanks for nice initiative @stable_graphene .we will contribute effectively .
    ·
  • Lets Solve question

a) a sophisticated RADAR system fitted on top of submarines to detect mal activities.

2. The recently launched Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation (PRAGATI) platform will give boost to the concept of
    2) Good governance
    3) Gender inclusiveness
    a) 1 and 2
    b) 2 and 3
    c) 1 and 3
    d) All of the above

3. Which of the following can be the easiest way to predict the upcoming Earthquake?
    b) Release of Radon gas
    d) None of the above

1. Strategic Debt Restructuring' (SDR) is a new tool made available to banks and financial institutions by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for the recovery of non-performing assets (NPAs).

2. The CDR scheme aims to revive stressed companies and provide an option to the JLF (Joint Lenders Forum) to initiate change of management in the companies, which fail to achieve the milestones under the Strategic Debt Restructuring (SDR).
    a) 1 only
    b) 2 only
    c) Both 1 and 2
    d) Neither 1 nor 2

2. A type of tribe.
    a) 1 only
    b) 1 and 2
    c) 3 only
    d) 1, 2 and 3

3. They may be involved in several businesses such as chit funds, gold loans and housing finance etc.
    a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 1 and 3 only
    c) 3 only
    d) 1, 2 and 3

1* 2a 3c 4* 5* 6b
    ·
  • @stable_graphene nice initiative. One question - are we sticking to only current affairs or static portion as well?
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    abias said:

@stable_graphene nice initiative. One question - are we sticking to only current affairs or static portion as well?

my bet is focus on both as new chairman is appointed which will definitely have an impact on the question paper.
    Every alternate days we will follow static portion
    This week

Monday- What topics to be covered and questions related to this

Polity- Basics(Written / unwritten and codified / uncodified constitutions, Constituent Assembly – members, elections, meetings, committees, drafting Committee – contents of various parts and schedules, sources of various parts, Preamble – its relevance.)

Geography- Basics ( Big Bang Theory, Expansion of Universe, Cosmic Microwave Background, Hubble Constant, Doppler Effect, Blue and Red Shift, Black Holes,Dark Matter & Dark Energy, Galaxies Basics,)

Wednesday- Environment- Ecology Basics & Biomes ( Ecological Niche, Difference between Niche and Habitat, Ecological Equivalents, Narrow Niche and Broad Niche, Food Chain and Food Webs etc)

Science- Biology- Complete Cell Biology , Plant Kingdom

Friday- Culture- Indian Paintings- Shadanga and Chitrasutra traditions, Murals, Miniatures and Frescoes, Cave Paintings, Various schools of paintings in India, Mughal and Rajput Paintings, Modern Indian Paintings.

Indian History- Prehistory and Indus Valley Civilization Complete.

Rest days i will give Current Affairs questions and we will discuss what new current affairs we have studied on the given days only synopsis of the current affairs or any new term in news.

·
  • Lets Solve question

2) Good governance
    3) Gender inclusiveness
    a) 1 and 2
    b) 2 and 3
    c) 1 and 3
    d) All of the above

b) Release of Radon gas
    d) None of the above

a) 1 only
    b) 2 only
    c) Both 1 and 2
    d) Neither 1 nor 2

2. A type of tribe.
    a) 1 only
    b) 1 and 2
    c) 3 only
    d) 1, 2 and 3

a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 1 and 3 only
    c) 3 only
    d) 1, 2 and 3

·
  • abias said:

@stable_graphene nice initiative. One question - are we sticking to only current affairs or static portion as well?

@abias bhai, i created this thread for concepts and basics of issues in current. like this year most question were based on concepts of current issues like the chief secretary question, kharai camel, MCLR etc. They always ask question based on basics on issues of current importance now, be it prelims or mains and i am an regular newspaper reader so i felt very little difficulty in solving them even when i didn't read any specific magazine or vision CA modules ever.

GRAPHENE v 2.0....
    ·
  • abias said:

my bet is focus on both as new chairman is appointed which will definitely have an impact on the question paper.
    Every alternate days we will follow static portion
    This week

Monday- What topics to be covered and questions related to this

Polity- Basics(Written / unwritten and codified / uncodified constitutions, Constituent Assembly – members, elections, meetings, committees, drafting Committee – contents of various parts and schedules, sources of various parts, Preamble – its relevance.)

Geography- Basics ( Big Bang Theory, Expansion of Universe, Cosmic Microwave Background, Hubble Constant, Doppler Effect, Blue and Red Shift, Black Holes,Dark Matter & Dark Energy, Galaxies Basics,)

Wednesday- Environment- Ecology Basics & Biomes ( Ecological Niche, Difference between Niche and Habitat, Ecological Equivalents, Narrow Niche and Broad Niche, Food Chain and Food Webs etc)

Science- Biology- Complete Cell Biology , Plant Kingdom

Friday- Culture- Indian Paintings- Shadanga and Chitrasutra traditions, Murals, Miniatures and Frescoes, Cave Paintings, Various schools of paintings in India, Mughal and Rajput Paintings, Modern Indian Paintings.

Indian History- Prehistory and Indus Valley Civilization Complete.

Rest days i will give Current Affairs questions and we will discuss what new current affairs we have studied on the given days only synopsis of the current affairs or any new term in news.
    @Laal_Saalaam sir, yeh thoda sa mushkil ho jaega thread members ke liye because everyone works and studies according to their personal plan and targets. some follow test series of different sources while some read at their own paces.
    this thread is intended to develop a habit of everyone to cover newpaper with focussed approach filtering useless news and retaining most of what we read regularly, because no matter how much pattern changes, what surprises upsc gives next year, newspaper will never lose its relevance and importance.
    besides, i already mentioned that questions will be from exam point of view, to its implicit ki vo apne aap men hi static portion bhi cover kar lega in the long run. because issues are based on concepts itself and questions will rely on these bases itself.

baki if anyone feels he/she needs question practice of static portion separately too, to main or anyone can create a separate thread for it jisme science history etc cover kar saken. thats what I felt. baki jo consensus bolega, I'll accept it :)

in the evening at 7, i will post questn today from hindu, so that it could be more clear to everyone whether it could be helpful for them or not personally and what kind of questions i am thinking for everyone's benefit.
    GRAPHENE v 2.0....
    ·
  • 1st September Current Affairs Questions

1.Which of the following is correct about " Project Development Fund (PDF)"
    1. It shall be housed in Department of Commerce and operated through the EXIM Bank.
    2. Project Development Fund (PDF) for catalysing Indian economic presence in the Cambodia, Laos Myanmar and Vietnam.
    3. The key advantage of the fund is positioning India on the regional value chains is securing on a long term basis, a dedicated market for Indian raw materials and intermediate goods besides a dedicated source for inputs and raw materials for Indian industry.

Which is correct
    A) 1 and 2
    B) 2 and 3
    C) 1 and 3
    D) All
    2. Two Indians are among the winners of the Ramon Magsaysay Awards 2016. For what services of theirs have they been bestowed with this prestigious award?

1 Anti-corruption efforts
    2 Efforts to eradicate manual scavenging
    3 Using Carnatic music to break the barriers of caste and class
    4 Championing the rights of tribal people through written works and legal battles

Select the correct answer using the code given below:

a) 1 and 3
    b) 1 and 4
    c) 2 and 3
    d) 2 and 4

·
  • 3. With reference to the Ganges River Dolphin, consider the following statements:
    1 It uses its eye to locate itself.
    2 Because of the sound it produces when breathing, the animal is popularly referred to as the ‘Susu’.
    3 It is at the apex of the aquatic food chain, and its presence in adequate numbers symbolises greater biodiversity in the river system.

Which of the statements given above is/are incorrect?

a) 1 only
    b) 1 and 2 only
    c) 2 and 3 only
    d) None of the above
    4.Which of the following is correct about Permanent Residency Status (PRS) Scheme
    1. Under the Scheme, suitable provisions will be incorporated in the Visa Manual to provide for the grant of PRS to foreign investors.
    2. The PRS will be granted for a period of 15 years with multiple entry. This can be reviewed for another 10 years if the PRS holder has not come to adverse notice.
    3. PRS holders will be allowed to purchase one residential property for dwelling purpose.
    4. The scheme will be applicable only to foreign investors whose investment should result in generating employment to at least 20 resident Indians every financial year.

a) 1, 3 and 4
    b) 1 , 2 and 3
    c) 1, 2 and 4
    d) All

5.The mandate of the Madhukar Gupta committee, which recently submitted its report, was to

a) Only study all types of gaps in fencing along the international border and to suggest comprehensive approach to fix these gaps in fencing.
    b) Study all types of gaps in fencing and all other vulnerabilities along the International Border.
    c) Study the feasibility of laser fencing for all gaps in fencing along the International Border.
    d) Study all types of gaps in fencing and all other vulnerabilities along the international border between India and Pakistan on the one hand and Bangladesh on the other.

6.Which of the following is incorrect about Logistics Performance Index.

1. The Logistics Performance Index Report is published by World Bank every two years.
    2. India has now been ranked 35 amongst 160 countries.
    3. Six-components of the LPI are Customs, Infrastructure, International Shipments, Logistics Quality and Competence, Tracking and Tracing, and Timeliness

a) 1 only
    b) 1 and 2 only
    c) 2 and 3 only
    d) None of the above

·
  • Sticking to a schedule as in day-wise won't be feasible. Atleast not for me. Plus we have to sustain it over a period of nine months. Considering this i feel, CA related questions can be posted daily.
    For questions related to static part , separate thread would do.

Rest it depends on consensus.
    Dum Spiro Spero
    ·
  • Some important points related to prelims from 1st September news which is not covered above

1. Southern Bird Wing to be named Karnataka’s ‘State butterfly’

The Southern Bird Wing butterfly was in-principle approved by Karnataka State Wildlife Board to become the State butterfly of Karnataka. The Arthropod, Flutters with distinctive red and yellow stripes amongst the verdant green of the Western Ghats.The Southern Bird Wing was selected as its colours match the colours of the Karnataka Flag.
    This makes Karnataka the second Statein the country after Maharashtra to adopt a State butterfly. Maharashtra chose the Blue Mormom butterfly as its State butterfly in 2015.

Butterfly Conservation Reserve: With 125 species of butterflies, there is a strong demand to declare theDoraisanipalya reserve forest area (Bannerghatta Forest), a Butterfly Conservation Reserve. If declared, it would be 1st such reserve in the country.

Overview:

The Southern Bird Wing – It is the largest butterfly in India, with the females growing up to 19 cm in length. Primarily endemic to South India, it is found in abundance in Karnataka. It is very important to know about the importance of butterflies in the eco-system. They are important pollinators, and their preservation is necessary for the functioning of eco-system.

2. Ashok Chawla appointed as Chancellor of TERI University

About The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)

TERI is a non-profit research institution that conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development.
    Established in 1974 as Tata Energy Research Institute and was renamed The Energy and Resources Institute in 2003.
    It aims to focus on formulating local and national level strategies for shaping global solutions to critical issues.
    Presently, it has over 1200 employees especially research professionals from different disciplines pertaining to issues of environment and energy.
    In 2013, it was ranked as the topmost global think-tank by the International Centre for Climate Governance (ICCG).

3. Army Design Bureau Current Affairs Indian Army launches Army Design Bureau to reduce dependence on imports

About the Army Design Bureau (ADB)
    ADB will provide a better understanding of the Army’s requirements to the academia, research organisations and the industry for developing high tech defence products.

It will be the interface of the Indian Army for a single point contact for all stakeholders which would help R&D fraternity in developing indigenous solutions.

ADB comes in the wake of rapid changes in technology and consequent changes in war fighting techniques.

It will help the Indian Army to be constantly involved at every stage from conceptualisation to design to development trails and production to sustenance for its modernisation needs.

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google