Geology optional for Civil Mains and IFoS

Any online/ offline leads on Geology optional for both the exams. There's very little available in UPSC related forums, books to read, coaching available, success stories. If anyone of you guys is having this optional, it would be great to connect.

Comments

• i have geology as cs mains and ifos mains subject...
    infact 2nd cs mains with geology
  • Yes there is very little material available on the net but the advantage is that as far as I can see questions are rarely complex. If you can cover each topic then you can write easily any answer. I am from Civil engineering background so I am very good in the engineering geology & groundwater portion & slowly preparing for the rest. I have graduated just recently & don't plan on giving my full attention to UPSC yet but slowly covering all portions of GS & geology with self study. But I should warn you that only take this optional if from Geology background or really interested in Geology. First thing to do if you have no idea where to start is to buy "A Textbook of Geology - P. K. Mukherjee" & read it end to end. Then refer to these notes: www104.zippyshare.com/v/kEihTlYp/file.html

After this you can start preparing for topics you prefer more.
  • @Napoleon17 ...yaar if you are new to geology, then 1st read Bangar ...
    BTW, do u have geology in IFS or CSE or both ?
  • @atulanand12345 True! Though the course seems to be vast but the questions largely revolve around concepts, definitions, and uses. I am from Mining Engineering background too and have some bit of basics of Paper 1 prepared so I am thinking to appear in 2017. As I graduated in 2013, it would be equivalent to start afresh.
    Any idea about geology coaching institutes in Delhi?
    And Can you PM me your email ID!
  • @rocckysingh Hi, so how did you fare in your first attempt with Geology? Can you share the booklist and preparation strategy? I have a background with this subject, graduated as a Mining Engineer.
  • @chuck I am planning to give both CSE Mains and IFoS with geology. Okay, I'll purchase Bangar to get a know-how. Any geology coaching institutes in India?
  • Hi, any book with solved previous years papers for geology (Ifos)?
  • @Napoleon17 ...not much idea about geology coaching bhai ...hvnt heard of any reputed/famous coaching.
  • Good reference ??¿??
    Any fool with a bit of luck can find himself born into power.

But earning it for yourself, that takes work.
  • Wrote IFoS mains last year with Geology as one of d optional. Scored pathetic 40 & 40 in paper I & 2; Will b writing again this year...

I Hv read bangar once last yr; but I m looking for some short crisp notes or mains solved papers..
    (My 2nd optional is chemistry..in CSM as well)

+1

There are hand written notes of someone is available in delhi
    The notes are in previous 10 year Q/A form.
    and it covers at least 70% of questions.
  • debo said:

Hi, any book with solved previous years papers for geology (Ifos)?

Please share
  • I scored very badly in C's mains in geology....studed geology before Pre only...was not able to study ,not a single day after Pre due to some family emergency.wrote mains without even revising..infact.decided to appear for mains one day beforë mains only ....score 48+49 marks only....but must say looking at paper in examination hall was feeling that with 20 days of revisio would have score gud marks....almost every question was for material which I have atleast touched before pre.....my books..bangar, mhapatra, some topics from brillents notes....statigarphy I studed wadia but selected topics only..rivender Singh just few introductry chapters only...rutley for mineralogy...paleanolgy FROM pk mukeejee..thodha bhoot tunlae ki site se....more or less this is all...but I think revesion is must as so many new terms are there...
  • debo said:

Which notes are u talking about....from where to get them....
  • debo said:

My frnd who selected in both ifs and civil last year gave those notes to me. dont know from which shop he purchased but is definitely from ORN'.
    i have checked notes , there is nothing like coaching name or seal is there.
    and they are not in PDF Form, how can i share of such bulky 3 notebooks of geology and forestry notes??
  • debo said:

debo said:

My frnd who selected in both ifs and civil last year gave those notes to me. dont know from which shop he purchased but is definitely from ORN'.
    and they are not in PDF Form, how can i share of such bulky 3 notebooks of geology and forestry notes??
    Where do u stay?
  • debo said:

debo said:

If u r in Delhi, we can get it xerox...or else any hint of notes by which I can get in Delhi would b helpful

• how r brilliant notes for geology?
    In Love With My Life Claudia Sampedro !
  • how r brilliant notes for geology?

Not gud...but some topics can be reffered
  • debo said:

debo said:

Post some snapshots at least! We will ask for it in ORN and look for near resemblances. OR The best way would be to get them photocopied if you stay in Delhi.
  • @Bentham
    Bentham said:

Wrote IFoS mains last year with Geology as one of d optional. Scored pathetic 40 & 40 in paper I & 2; Will b writing again this year...

I Hv read bangar once last yr; but I m looking for some short crisp notes or mains solved papers..
    (My 2nd optional is chemistry..in CSM as well)

Do you have some bit of background in Geology? If not, how comfortable were you with the subject while reading the books for first time? Is it too technical? I called Praganya IAS, Evolution IAS, they had Geology faculties earlier but they have abandoned the subject since last year. So, it seems self study is the only way forward.
  • Hi
    I have cleared for forest mains 16.. are pharmacy degree students eligible,? I had filled chemistry as one of the subjects..n had studied physical chemistry ,medicinal chemistry as separate subjects..plz tell
  • debo said:

debo said:

Post some snapshots at least! We will ask for it in ORN and look for near resemblances. OR The best way would be to get them photocopied if you stay in Delhi.
    Yes. Please post at least a snapshot.
  • As I am from geology background,my 6 years experience in this domain says p.k mukharjee is a too ordinary book in geology and it will hardly help in civil mains though it may help a little bit in ifos.one should refer k.m Banger as it touches every corner of d subject and must prepare notes from individual books for different topics of geology,because the question level of civil mains is tougher and analytical in comparison to combined geo scientist (gsi) examination conducted by UPSC.
  • please help me with geology optional some good books or if ignou material available for geology please post link
  • WHERE IS DAF?today was tthe day mentioned in result for Ifos DAF.can u guys see it there?
  • WHERE IS DAF?today was tthe day mentioned in result for Ifos DAF.can u guys see it there?

Not yet. Generally when they mention a particular date for DAF, it will be out in the previous evening itself. But this time it isn't. We may have to wait till afternoon today it seems.
  • edited September 2016
    vignesh said:

WHERE IS DAF?today was tthe day mentioned in result for Ifos DAF.can u guys see it there?

Not yet. Generally when they mention a particular date for DAF, it will be out in the previous evening itself. But this time it isn't. We may have to wait till afternoon today it seems.
    hmm.may be.thats why i was curious y its not yet there.thanks for reply.can u confirm that last date for filling is 6th october only na? :D just for surety.
  • vignesh said:

WHERE IS DAF?today was tthe day mentioned in result for Ifos DAF.can u guys see it there?

hmm.may be.thats why i was curious y its not yet there.thanks for reply.can u confirm that last date for filling is 6th october only na? :D just for surety.
    That should be the same. Things will be clear in the DAF instructions
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog