[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Which printer or scanner to buy for test series purpose?

edited September 2016 in Tools & Technology
guys can u suggest printer whichi is economical and easy to use..only purpose is test series..i san answers thru mobile so which printer is good please ????
·

Comments

• I would suggest you go for canon lbp 2900b
    Costs you around 7k
    Toner refill costs 200 rupees and each refill gives you about 2000 prints
    have been using it for 1 year and no issues till now
    ·
  • @chaitanya The refill cost you quoted is original one or local one?
    ·
  • PolicyGuy said:

@chaitanya The refill cost you quoted is original one or local one?

An original refill would require you to goto an authorised center. The refill is actually simply powered ink. There isnt much of original and duplicate. If you do not insist on going to Canon centers to get this done, you can get the ink from open market.. almost any xerox shop, cyber cafe or printer shop will refill for 150-250.

You would normally opt for the later for matters of convenience.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • I had read about online printing solutions in one of the toppers interview in mrunal.
    How is the experience with printster/printo? Does this work out well than to buy a printer? Which service is better in Bangalore?
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    @sanjay8089 go for any printer that uses 12A cartridge. it is a beast. easy to refill and spares are available evry where. if you want a single purpose printer then go for hp 1020 plus. old but gold.
    if you want a scanner, photo copy and printer then go for hp m1005. it is best in class.
    both printer use 12A cartridge.

ps-i m using m1005. no complaints so far.
    ·
  • @sanjay8089 go for any printer that uses 12A cartridge. it is a beast. easy to refill and spares are available evry where. if you want a single purpose printer then go for hp 1020 plus. old but gold.
    if you want a scanner, photo copy and printer then go for hp m1005. it is best in class.

+1

He is right. Both Canon 2900B and HP 1020 have the same 12A toner. But between the two go for Canon 2900B because its original cartridge itself is refillable whereas the original cartridge that comes with HP 1020 plus is not of full capacity and you will need to but the first cartridge before you can refill it - making it expensive.

This was 2 years back. Not sure about now.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • Canon 2900b is the best. I refill it myself . you can get the refill powder for about 100rs/100gm on amazon.

One refill gives you almost 3000 printouts
    History Optional
    "Let the fear find you again "
    ·
  • Using Canon G1000 Tank Ink colour Printer. Prints 6000 black pages and 7000 colour pages. Have printed 2 paper packets and the ink has still not yet got down. Is easily refillable.

Found it best compared to the costly HP printers. My old All in One HP printer could print only about 150 pages for a 750 rupees refill. But this one is strong and good with pretty fast output and long lasting cost effective ink.
    ·
  • Canon lbp 2900b...go blind...you won't regret
    ·
  • Can we get these printers on rent till mains ?
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    Please suggest some cheap printer. I need for only b/w printouts. Scanner no need. Purely for mains purpose. Inkjet vs Laser ?
    @Neyawn @codejar @Mr_Wayne and others
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

@sanjay8089 go for any printer that uses 12A cartridge. it is a beast. easy to refill and spares are available evry where. if you want a single purpose printer then go for hp 1020 plus. old but gold.

+1

He is right. Both Canon 2900B and HP 1020 have the same 12A toner. But between the two go for Canon 2900B because its original cartridge itself is refillable whereas the original cartridge that comes with HP 1020 plus is not of full capacity and you will need to but the first cartridge before you can refill it - making it expensive.

This was 2 years back. Not sure about now.
    Hey @Neyawn , I have gone through all your posts and comments on printers and comparison between canon2900b and hp 1020 plus.You have said here - http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/17429/#Comment_17429 that refill guys have themselves told you that 1020 comes with a small tank. And here - http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/19698/#Comment_19698 , you said it prints about 2000+ pages.

As you said in previous comment, the issue of 50% capacity of packaged cartridge was 2 years ago. I have gone through all the reviews on Flipkart and none of them complained about incomplete/half capacity of toner. Also, the following links from Amazon reviews say that 1020 plus prints 1800, 2000, 1500-1700, 2200 (in economy mode) , 1750, 1900 pages. All these reviews are from verified users. However, one SELLER and another reviewer says it prints around 1200 pages.

1. http://www.amazon.in/gp/customer-reviews/RMX4TUH7SYJYN/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00741G8FO
    2. http://www.amazon.in/forum/-/Tx3IPY4LX4Y22G8/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B00741G8FO
    3. http://www.amazon.in/forum/-/Tx2FTQ6O3HSA6V1/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B00741G8FO

Also, at this link a user replies that it comes with a regular (not introductory) toner.
    http://www.amazon.in/forum/-/Tx1KVSEA25W8SC8/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza?asin=B00741G8FO

Only 2 reviews on Amazon talked about introductory/demo toner cartridges, and even there they said it prints more than 1200 pages.

So, can you please clarify if it comes with a demo/introductory toner. still today I see in the news that once such things happened - http://www.therecycler.com/posts/hp-granted-permission-to-sell-printers-with-start-up-cartridges/ .But, with above people saying prints of around 2000 pages, I think it is packed with a standard toner, but not a demo toner now. I am eagerly waiting for your reply to make my decision to buy hp 1020 or you favorite!! .

·
  • hope16 said:

Please suggest some cheap printer. I need for only b/w printouts. Scanner no need. Purely for mains purpose. Inkjet vs Laser ?
    @Neyawn @codejar @Mr_Wayne and others

Inkjet is not the best choice(HP 2130 atleast) for UPSC.. It prints only 400 pages at max with original cartridge and 250 pages with a duplicate refilling..duplicate refill Rs 50
    Scanner is too slow where as for us Camscanner is better option as HR scanning is not required..
    Moreover not all refillers fill the Inkjet cartridges..
    Hence even though a bit expensive laserjet is quicker, hasslefree and convenient choice in a long run...Prints upto 2000 papers in a single refill.(duplicate refill Rs 250)..totally worth it.
    I have both of them..2nd one second hand..but I prefer it almost always.
    But in a longrun 2130 with a photocopy facility and scanner may be more useful..
    Qawalli Lover. Die hard fan of NFAK..
    "Aag ka dariya h, doob ke jana hai."
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog