Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Is NCERTs are enough to crack prelims?

I am in dilemma to start from NCERT or From Standard books for 2017?
·

Comments

• No...not even 25%
    ·
  • For prelims concentrate on source from where to read.

For modern india read spectrum.
    For ancient read ncerts
    For environment read mrunal but questions will come from current affairs...download ias4sure pdf material on environment n read that.
    For geography obviously ncert but here concentrate on cropping pattern n give more importance for Indian geography.
    For art n culture=read 11th ncert fineart book

For government schemes,science&tech&international relations...refer visionias monthly current affairs questions will come from ca only.
    Also download ias4sure material on govt schemes.

For polity one and only laxmikanth

Avoid nitin singhania for culture n ramesh singh for economy.
    ·
  • For prelims concentrate on source from where to read.

For modern india read spectrum.
    For ancient read ncerts
    For environment read mrunal but questions will come from current affairs...download ias4sure pdf material on environment n read that.
    For geography obviously ncert but here concentrate on cropping pattern n give more importance for Indian geography.
    For art n culture=read 11th ncert fineart book

For government schemes,science&tech&international relations...refer visionias monthly current affairs questions will come from ca only.
    Also download ias4sure material on govt schemes.

For polity one and only laxmikanth

Avoid nitin singhania for culture n ramesh singh for economy.

Nice one...but why did you ask him to avoid nitin singhania? Plus you forgot economics
    ·
  • Nopes, if you're doing self study then go for "mrunal" and buy notes online (olx,quickr). You will crack pre if you focus on concepts. Read GA time to time.
    time nahi h, babu ji
    ·
  • Complete all ncerts first. It will take just 2 or 3 months. I made this mistake in 2014, went to standard books directly. Your concepts will be clear once you complete these basic books. News paper and a good magazine like vision along.

i under estimated ncerts in my first attempt and paid price for that. Never ever commit such a huge mistake. From non humanities background I was not able to understand those standard books properly, spent lot of time reading them.
    ·
  • kummies said:

Complete all ncerts first. It will take just 2 or 3 months. I made this mistake in 2014, went to standard books directly. Your concepts will be clear once you complete these basic books. News paper and a good magazine like vision along.

i under estimated ncerts in my first attempt and paid price for that. Never ever commit such a huge mistake. From non humanities background I was not able to understand those standard books properly, spent lot of time reading them.

Noted. ..thanks.
    ·
  • yes they are imp, do them well
    ·
  • Brother, first of all the word "enough" should avoided when u r talking about prelims..follow what lapizlazuli said above...u can go parallel i.e. Laxmikanth/modern history spectrum along with ncerts..yes I agree Nitin Singhania's notes give false satisfaction..so Nitin any other source is recommended
    Limited period offer-U can laugh at me till the 1st half of 2018
    ·
  • nitin plus any other source ^^
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    Not enough to crack but they have the highest RoI
    CSE 2016 Indian Police Service ( IPS )
    ·
  • is sal ke paper dekh lo bhai 10% bhi solve nhi hoga ncert se
    chocolate is my life
    ·
  • choco_dip said:

is sal ke paper dekh lo bhai 10% bhi solve nhi hoga ncert se

choco_dip said:

is sal ke paper dekh lo bhai 10% bhi solve nhi hoga ncert se

haan sahi kaha..agr examination hall me..sare ncerts,spectrum,nitin singhania,ramesh singh,laxmikanth,mazid Hussain,Tmh gs manual plus 3 ghante extra v de dya jata to nhi ni hota
    ·
  • I am in dilemma to start from NCERT or From Standard books for 2017?

Its always better to start from NCERTs and questions do come from NCERTs.. Just for example go and check page no. 5 of Class 10th NCERT of geography i.e. Contemporary India II, you will find write up about Club of Rome and SDGs, on page 3 Rio Summit 1992 .. questions came from these in prelims this year. Moreover NCERTs are easy to understand and if you revise them again and again it will yield good results.
    ·
  • I haven't gone through the advice other aspirants have given above ^^, but all I can say is that this exam is very uncertain. Please go through the required NCERTs as mentioned in countless guides scattered over the internet.Keep tabs on the important current affairs and make sure you review them at the end of each month(either your own notes or VISIONIAS monthly CA).Practice plenty of mocks and note down your mistakes and the corresponding correct solutions.Right before prelims go through all CA for the past year.Bottomline,make sure your strategy is foolproof.We can never be sure what UPSC is going to demand from us next time around.All the best.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    No. Current affairs is not there in NCERTs. But, NCERT should definitely be the starting point for both prelims and mains preparation. It would strengthen the basics.
    ·
  • Ncert is a must. It covers basics. Questions are set from there. It improves understanding of higher texts. It improves understanding of newspapers. And cuts down the time required for advanced books.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog