Secure 35+ Questions in Prelims 2017

Dr. Ravi Agrahari's General Science & Tech, Environment & Ecology Module to cover atleast 35+ Questions in Prelims 2017. Start Date : 22nd March. Call : 9555923039 Click to watch Orientation Lecture.

Comments

• This is pure intolerance riding on popular political support.
    The angels are lost in perpetual contemplation of an infinite glory.
    ·
  • can? yes

should? no
    ·
  • This is what alexis de tocquivielle precisely said " tyrrany of majority ".
    ·
  • I would like to keep ethics and morals aside, because personal opinions dont matter when you run a country. Its the laws of the land that hold the prime importance. Its the constitutional validity that matters to me.

And, "I wonder how this is constitutionally valid" ?

Its holds no importance under Art 48.
    It clearly violates, Art 14, 15 and Art 21.

They could ban beef citing Art 48, but what about chicken, mutton and fish? Under which article?
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    pizza said:

I would like to keep ethics and morals aside, because personal opinions dont matter when you run a country. Its the laws of the land that hold the prime importance. Its the constitutional validity that matters to me.

They could ban beef citing Art 48, but what about chicken, mutton and fish? Under which article?

@preetkarandhaliwal bro, can you provide some legal insights? :) How can this be constitutionally valid? SC has upheld this action in its verdict various times.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
    ·
  • V know secularism in India means state shall have equal proximity n give equal importance to ol d religions.which is unlike west where church n states are two separate entity.So yes dis can be done.But dis is also breach of article 14,21 of Coi of other citizens so its liable to be called as executive tyranny n may be nullified by article 13.

Ps-Indian idea of secularism upsc csm 2014.
    ·
  • edited September 2016

V know secularism in India means state shall have equal proximity n give equal importance to ol d religions.which is unlike west where church n states are two separate entity.So yes dis can be done.But dis is also breach of article 14,21 of Coi of other citizens so its liable to be called as executive tyranny n may be nullified by article 13.

equal importance to all the religions to avoid discrimination, and meddling into religious affairs to address social ills. These are the limits wherein secular and religious aspect are supposed to interact. While pandering to religions is secularism only so far as executive wishes the general people on particular occasions considered auspicious. Pandering to religions through executive fiats or legislation is uncalled for.
    ·
  • pizza said:

pizza said:

I would like to keep ethics and morals aside, because personal opinions dont matter when you run a country. Its the laws of the land that hold the prime importance. Its the constitutional validity that matters to me.

@preetkarandhaliwal bro, can you provide some legal insights? :) How can this be constitutionally valid? SC has upheld this action in its verdict various times.
    explanations by theanimalia and richard parker are insightful. See this case is similar to beef ban in maha nd haryana. Preserving cows is part of directive policy nd keeping in view our diverse society, courts nd laws tend to take concilliatory positions. But now extending it to buffalos nd bulls as well i believe is nothing more than political pandering. And the political executive of maha has no idea what a disastrous law it is for a poor drought hit farmer of vidharba. Earlier his cattle were his assets, now a liability. And on top of all, i believe we indian are highly sanctimonious beings. We let our cows die by eating plastic but on the other hand we also allow executive to take measure to prevent their slaughter. Matlab humaare neglect se mare toh sahi hai, par koi slaughter nahi kar sakta bcs voh sensitive issue hai. Similarly, if out of respect people refrain from eating non veg during such times, its laudatory but i dnt think, that such executive decisions can pass judicial tests. But mind it, alcohol production is a diff category altogether, so dnt bring bihar in.

Aur bhai main end baat yeh hai ke humaari politics logo ki ignorance par chalti hai. Ye executive order paas karke jains ko bata diya govt supports them, fir court null nd void bolega toh kahenga court ne kiya da doosri party ki conspiracy. Similar was the case of jat reservation in haryana or patel reservation. Even if its given, it can never be constitutionally upheld under prevailing legal tenets.
    ·
  • harry90 said:

This is what alexis de tocquivielle precisely said " tyrrany of majority ".

!! Tyranny of majority means majority imposes interest upon minority.....here it is opposite
    Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
    ·
  • V know secularism in India means state shall have equal proximity n give equal importance to ol d religions.which is unlike west where church n states are two separate entity.So yes dis can be done.But dis is also breach of article 14,21 of Coi of other citizens so its liable to be called as executive tyranny n may be nullified by article 13.

equal importance to all the religions to avoid discrimination, and meddling into religious affairs to address social ills. These are the limits wherein secular and religious aspect are supposed to interact. While pandering to religions is secularism only so far as executive wishes the general people on particular occasions considered auspicious. Pandering to religions through executive fiats or legislation is uncalled for.
    Good n logical interpretation sir.But one of two prblm I m facing in mains amswr wrtng is generalized arguments n maintaining status quo in conclusions.For eg.what u would have wrtn on should there be party whip or not?
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    Legally - NO !!

Politically - YESSSS !!

Socially- YES !!

Economically - YES and NO !!

Religiously - YES and NO !!

Environmentally - YES and NO !!

Ethically - NO !!

Morally - YES !!

Technically - NO !!

PS- Now I'm in full fledged Mains mood so thinking Multi-dimensionally should become my habit :) Baki sb moh maya h .. It is far easier to talk about Ethics,Law and Justice etc but GRASS-ROOT in our country is totally absolutely purely definitely VERY VERY VERY different ..But still INDIA is a BEST COUNTRY to live for INDIAN-kind peopling ;)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·

Good n logical interpretation sir.But one of two prblm I m facing in mains amswr wrtng is generalized arguments n maintaining status quo in conclusions.For eg.what u would have wrtn on should there be party whip or not?
    I am not someone with the best of the practice to answer your query sir.
    ·
  • harry90 said:

It's a jain festival, dude. Where did this majority thing come from?
    ·
  • MagushT said:

harry90 said:

It's a jain festival, dude. Where did this majority thing come from?
    You have not fully comprehended it. It is not that jains have been able to get such a decision on the basis of a huge agitation that government was forced to concede. What I meant to say was about elected governments having brute majorities taking decisions without regard to the sensitivities of some other minority group.
    ·
  • its not about forcing one'beliefs on others..its about cooperation.

every religious community has tolerance for people of other religious communities and their religios practices and thats why there is still some religious harmony in india or in the world.

but when things go extreme, some people lose tolerance.. this is because there is a feeling among us that during "special" religious occasions, which need great austerity on our part, cooperation by other religious communities must be there for harmony to sustain.

for example, during navrtra,even muslims don't sell meat. during Chatth festival in Bihar Jharkhand, meat shops are closed. Similar is the Jain case in Gujrat.
    ·
  • IWRA said:

This is pure intolerance riding on popular political support.

This is not intolerance. It's compassion and big-heartedness.

In our family (and many other families too) our grandfather and father ask us to observe fast on Karvachauth coz the married ladies of the house are fasting. They themselves observe fast too.
    So if a section our society is observing a stricture based on a religious belief, the least we can do is to shun a few food items for a few days. No one ever died without eating meat for 7 days. On the upside non-vegs can enjoy variety of vegetarian dishes in this period and broaden their culinary horizon.

Please tell me why even secular music or speeches etc. are tuned down in vicinity of muslim areas during the azaan 5-times every single day of year in all nooks and corners of our country and no issue is made. But a generous act favouring an even smaller minority just for 7 days forms such a big issue ?? It is HYPOCRISY and pseudo secularism.
    CSM 2015 | CSE Interview 2016*
    ·
  • IWRA said:

This is pure intolerance riding on popular political support.

This is not intolerance. It's compassion and big-heartedness.

In our family (and many other families too) our grandfather and father ask us to observe fast on Karvachauth coz the married ladies of the house are fasting. They themselves observe fast too.
    So if a section our society is observing a stricture based on a religious belief, the least we can do is to shun a few food items for a few days. No one ever died without eating meat for 7 days. On the upside non-vegs can enjoy variety of vegetarian dishes in this period and broaden their culinary horizon.

Please tell me why even secular music or speeches etc. are tuned down in vicinity of muslim areas during the azaan 5-times every single day of year in all nooks and corners of our country and no issue is made. But a generous act favouring an even smaller minority just for 7 days forms such a big issue ?? It is HYPOCRISY and pseudo secularism.
    You cited an example(karva chauth) in which the action was voluntary. No element of coercion.
    "secular music or speeches etc. are tuned down in vicinity of muslim areas during the azaan 5-times every single day of year in all nooks and corners of our country and no issue is made" - still voluntary
    No one pushes anything down your throat forcefully in these examples.

P.S:If you still miss the point. Then God help you.
    ·
  • Pure political muscle flexing. And an avenue for escalation for all communities. Nothing to do with society, religion, tolerance or cultural subjugation.
    The Lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    Should not be imposed in a secular democracy. However, secularism in India has turned out to be secular jihadi Islamic fundamentalism, which is not secularism by the way. So, definitely not an ideal democracy. In India, communalism turns out to be Hindu right-wing, and secularism turns out to be Islamic extremism. Communalism all the way.
    A better term should have been pluralism, in place of secularism.

A truly secular person would want government to be fully secular/independent of religion, even in society. But, Indian seculars would cry jihad then in the name of minority extremism.
    ·
  • Any one havin praveen kishore sociology video or vikash ranjan...plz share...i can purchase it..contact mp
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google