ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Should I take mechanical Engineering optional ?

Hello friends. I am preparing for CSE 2017. I am in 4th year of my college. I wanted to know how is Mechanical engineering as an optional for this exam. How much time does it take to prepare this subject. Also is there a problem of negative scaling in this subject ? Is it possible to secure > 240 in this optional ? Given, that with this optional I can also secure a backup with other exams like GATE, IES, IFOS etc. should I opt for this optional ?
·

Comments

• Seniors, please help if you have any idea whatsoever about this. Thanks!
    ·
  • If you are confident then you should definitely take it. Its a scoring optional and solve previous year questions of all three ES FS AS, you will easliy score good marks.
    ·
  • edited September 2016
    Ne0 said:

Hello friends. I am preparing for CSE 2017. I am in 4th year of my college. I wanted to know how is Mechanical engineering as an optional for this exam. How much time does it take to prepare this subject. Also is there a problem of negative scaling in this subject ? Is it possible to secure > 240 in this optional ? Given, that with this optional I can also secure a backup with other exams like GATE, IES, IFOS etc. should I opt for this optional ?

My sincere advise is that first ask your self that do you have interest in it, if yes they u can take this subject.
    But if not it will be difficult for you to cope up with this subject as it more demanding than other optional.

Why demanding
    1. UPSC has been asking questions from various books and less from previous years and if i m not wrong , i can list the number of questions u will be needed to solve in each subject

If u solve last 20 years IFOS, ESE, IAS ( around 2600 questions plus Standard books( Atleast 2 for each subject and that will contain 400 multipled by 12 subjects = 5000 questions ( excluding foreign authors) ( Only difficult level questions)

So you have to atleast solve 3000 questions of different standards plus one year theortical concepts ( Max years needed to complete is 2 years ( if you have not studied in your college days like me) , if you have completed your concepts then 1.5 year is enough to understand.

No negative scaling in mechanical last year, 4 know person scoring 266, 240, 271, 280. Most easy scoring only when u have devoted atleast 2 years to it without studying gs papers. So for gs paper one year plus 1.5 years mechanical which will come around 2-3 years of preparation for scoring 250-260 above.

Now backup i would still tell you to focus on one goal because gate level, ese and cse level are different. Why

Gate- Topics less as compared to ese, cse. But heavy competition and only 65 questions to decide your fate. In Ias u have to compete with 200-300 or even less mechanical students, In ese you have to compete with 25000 plus but in gate 2 lakh mechanical gives it and to get a job( if general) then u have end up in top 300.

Syllabus difference and time table between ESE and CSE ( due to change in pattern)

ESE Syllabus ( no GS plus Topics like Renewable , solar, machine maintaninec, control system , microprocessor, machine design, fluid mechanics, robotics, Mechantronics some part) and these topics are not included in IAS, so u have to give extra effort for this i can be 100% sure that this topics cant be completed in 2 to 3 months. Plus for IAS u have to study 4 extra GS paper which i think would put lot of pressure on to your head and this might effect your efficency and accuracy

Time table difference - Less than 30 days between ESE mains and IAS prelims

PS- Stick to one goal at a time

·
  • @Romeo_Singh : Extremely grateful for your advice. Thankyou very much. Will consider all these factors before deciding.
    ·
  • Mech will consume a lot of your time. I graduated in Aero from Kgp in 2015. So I am not a Mech graduate. Mech paper looked easy and I took it as an optional. I realized what people really miss is the amount of revision needed to reproduce solutions, derivations quickly from the entire syllabus. It is as if you are writing a semester level exam of 12 courses (of your graduation) at a time.

I started with Mech prep after 2015 prelims. Studied for 3 months. Couldn't revise. Got just 86/500 in Mains :neutral:. From Jan to May, I focused exclusively on Mech, and didn't even touch GS. After prelims again, I had to give half my time to Mech. GS took a big hit.

However, I am in for interview. Had correctly attempted 420/500 (total attempt 460) this year. But it really ate into my GS time and GS performance has suffered as I could start GS prep and answer writing practice only after Prelims.

So, my judgment is that Mech will exclusively take you a minimum of 1 year to complete. For a certain perfection, 1.5 years. Take Mech only if you have it well revised, and have consistently scored well in your semesters. Else, take a year off and do not attempt immediately after graduation. It would be a mountainous task to do GS along with Mech and complete both satisfactorily.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google