Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

CSE Mains '17 Ethics: Personal Egs, Anecdotes, Stories and hypothetical scenarios.

edited July 7 in Ethics
This thread is aimed at gathering few Personal Egs, Anecdotes, Stories and hypothetical scenarios for each term mentioned in ethics syllabuswhich can be used in answers.. Please try to be as concise as possible. All are welcome to contribute :)
@TAR @ghostrider2016 @choco_dip @Kek @zil-i-ilahi @snapdragon @IWRA @DrKingSchultz @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @hemu @pizza @Reddy_2ruly
·

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Let me start.

Personal Example:
    Homeostatis
    after rejected by 3 companies on day 1 of placement => kept calm => appeared for 4th one and gave my best.

Guilt
    9th class => My marks in english were miscalculated (got more than deserved) => didn't tell teacher => got 1st rank by margin => justified my actions to myself but later felt immensely bad => decided not to repeat it ever again

Anecdote:
    "I Can Make It Happen"
    Even the great Thomas Alva Edison discouraged his friend, Henry Ford, from pursuing his fledgling idea of a motorcar. Convinced of the worthlessness of the idea, Edison invited Ford to come and work for him. Ford remained committed and tirelessly pursued his dream. Although his first attempt resulted in a vehicle without reverse gear, Henry Ford knew he could make it happen. And, of course, he did.
    ·
  • Eg. of how value confusion arise
    A child learns at school that honesty is always rewarded. But at home he/she realize that it is not always true. How ? He/she got beaten by parents for telling the truth that father is actually at home not at kirana store. :D
    ·
  • Very entertaining and helpful...! B)
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
    ·
  • Albert Einstein charged between $1 and $5 for his autographs!
    Einstein was a a scientist celebrity in his time. Whenever someone would ask for his autograph, he would charge them either $1 for a regular autograph or $5 for signing some memorabilia.
    However, it was not out of greed. All the proceeds from this, he gave to charity. He also donated his speaker fees for giving speeches
    ·
  • Persuasion & Fear appeals
    Eg. Cigarette Warnings
    Studies show that cigarette warning (smoke me and be ready to die of lung cancer) actually is counter productive. How ? Images/Warnings trigger fear and what is the quickest way to escape feeling of fear to a chain smoker. :#
    ·
  • Uncertainty Avoidance
    Eg: Indians have low uncertainty avoidance. Why?
    funny-incredible-India-train-no-waste-of-space-undefined-level-indian.jpg
    500 x 338 - 69K
    ·
  • Excellent thread bhai...searching for such productive thread ....indeed i myself have created the same thread after some days had u not done the same...
    My take on Ethics in IR
    Baloch issue
    An eye for eye makes the whole world blind
    ·
  • Cognitive dissonance Eg.
    Cause: Cigarettes => Cancer message written
    Reduce: Attitude or behaviour change (I will not smoke) | Add consonant info. (actually it helps Bowel movement) | Trivialization (Sharma ji smoked 10 a day & died at 95) | Self affirmation (Chill, Nothing will happen)
    ·
  • Intrinsic vs Instrumental value eg.
    Intrinsic: Happiness
    Instrumental: I want money so that I can become happy.
    ·
  • Conflict of interest

Karnataka HC judge recusing from hearing a case involving builder who tried to offer him bribe
    ·
  • @hope16 please share material for ethics u have
    i am having lexicon and g subba roa (not read yet )
    please provide some addition in this
    chocolate is my life
    ·
  • @choco_dip Bhai I also have lexicon and self made handwritten notes from internet, videos.. etc.
    ·
  • Successful persuasion require overlap of field of experience
    Eg. Persuasion by a female regarding importance of child nutrition and breast feeding will be more effective to a group of women.
    ·
  • Personal Experience: Guilt

In school once lied to my mother that my maths teacher died and hence papers are not checked yet. Little did I know she actually passed away after a few days due to sudden cardiac arrest. I am sure both events are disconnected by I have always carried the guilt of lying to that extent just to hide my poor marks. There is always that 'may be'...'what if I'..
    Attempt = 1 | Interview = 1 (2015) | 2016 Mains = 2nd Attempt
    ·
  • Belief
    Personal Eg.

One of my mentees in college was in academic rehabilitation programme (multiple backlogs). After my interaction with him, I realized that the reason for his poor academic performance was that he had firm belief that he was not supposed be in that college as he qualified the exam from reserved category.
    ·
  • Doping: Sharapova Episode

breach of trust of fans and sponsors.
    Unethical as taking advantage of their position. (Generally Top player are less likely to be tested for performance enhancing substances)
    Huge loss to sport and sponsors
    ·
  • @hope16 what ethical dimension can be added on this issue:
    Indian couple accused of faking widely praised Everest climb
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/29/indian-couple-accused-of-faking-widely-praised-everest-climb/
    ·
  • @hope16 what ethical dimension can be added on this issue:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/29/indian-couple-accused-of-faking-widely-praised-everest-climb/

Overall we can say decline in value system in society
    On personal level, such action is against value "honesty" => might have caused conflict in their mind
    also it is immoral => cause guilt in them.
    Being unethical from society point of view => may result in their Social disapproval/exclusion/isolation

What do you think ?
    ·
  • hope16 said:

@hope16 what ethical dimension can be added on this issue:

Overall we can say decline in value system in society
    On personal level, such action is against value "honesty" => might have caused conflict in their mind
    also it is immoral => cause guilt in them.
    Being unethical from society point of view => may result in their Social disapproval/exclusion/isolation

What do you think ?
    Disrespect to the people who died in climbing Everest
    ·
  • Guys what van be a real life example of learned helplessness?...
    I can identify an example but I think it is politically sensitive and not appropriate to quote Imo...
    ·
  • Corruption is not a need but a greed...
    milk man presented his poverty as an excuse for mixing water in milk. God gave him a lake of milk so that he can sell unadulterated milk. But due to old habit milkman asked God for a lake of water too!

Success ,failure,motivation,attitude
    1. Listen to rahul dravid's bamboo speech
    2. The Calgary Tower stands at 190.8 meters. The total weight of the tower is 10,884 tons, of which 6,349 tons is below ground (approximately 60%). This shows that some of the greatest buildings have the strongest foundations. Just like a great building stands on a strong foundation, so does success. And the foundation of success is attitude.

Pragmatism ...
    Just as a swan when offered a mixture of milk and water, doesn’t reject the mixture altogether but judiciously separates milk from water(hamsa-ksheera nyaya) a young recruit has to make right moves to avoid conflicts while retaining the opportunity to work for the society.

Btw, i would like to know your take on RAM jethmalani 's personal and professional ethics...

Means vs ends...
    College semester exam... Bluffed a panel of IIT professors in final year project,UPSC interview panel etc. and have been rewarded handsomely for that....why should I not keep continuing those habits ... Pavlovian phenomenon !
    ·
  • @veni_vedi_vici "RAM jethmalani 's personal and professional ethics."
    Sorry I am not aware of it. Can you throw some light.

btw, awesome post :)
    ·
  • abhi4046 said:

Guys what van be a real life example of learned helplessness?...
    I can identify an example but I think it is politically sensitive and not appropriate to quote Imo...

learned helplessness
    a condition in which a person suffers from a sense of powerlessness, arising from a traumatic event or persistent failure to succeed. It is thought to be one of the underlying causes of depression.

eg,
    I read on insights about a girl, whose mother died just few days before prelims. She was crying throughout the exam. It must have been very difficult for her. Such events are not easy to handle and might have resulted in depression.
    btw, that year she aced the examination and is in service right now. Show must go on no matter what !
    ·
  • It ain’t about how hard you’re hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!
    ·
  • Foundational values in civil services: Compassion
    IAS Officer Carried Heavy Sacks to Prevent a Dam from Collapsing and Drowning a Village
    A Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), who thought on his feet and acted quickly, was able to save hundreds of villagers from drowning in the Balia district of UP.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog