How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Tips to crack IBPS PO

edited September 2013 in Banking
Hello brothers and sisters,
I hope you all are in pink of your health.
This forum is pregnant in many super minds.
We have highly talented people here. I have a query and I hope this is the best place to ask my query.
Many people here have cracked IBPS bank PO level exam.
I am interested in it. (Ultimate goal is UPSC ).
We are having IBPS PO exam after three months. I am keen to crack IBPS PO exam anyhow. I am ready to do rigorous preparation.
Can anyone please guide me in this regard? What shall be my strategy to clear IBPS PO? What shall be done to take arithmetic skills to next level?
Currently I have following books and referring same for PO:
1. RS Aggarwal's Verbal and Non-verbal reasoning
2. RS Aggarwal's 'Mathematics for MBA'.

In what way shall I prepare so that Bank PO is a sure shot for me.
Please help me. I seek guidance please. Your reply of even 10 words matter a lot.

Take care everyone.

Regards,
Sheen.

Comments

• @ sheen - Do u want to keep it as a career back up plan or R u interested in banking? As I Have worked in bank for some time I think i can advice you on this ... Its not wise to join Bank if your ultimate goal is UPSC because you dont find time for preparation atleast in first few years.

Coming to Preparation it is better to practice previous papers by setting time limit. For General Awareness as you are already preparing for UPSC i think it would suffice .For practice you can visit indiabix.com ( Sorry if you are already aware of it )

All the best for your career
  • @srikanth
    what are the other career backup plans according to you, if you don't suggest for Bank PO?
    thanks
  • @ abhithepandey - Admin Officers in Insurance Companies ( Both Life /General).. Pay/salary same as Banks / 5 day week / less work pressure ..Even SSC CGL jobs are better than Bank Jobs ( I have some of my friends working in Central Excise and other departments )
    All the above are Back ups when your main goal is UPSC ( studying while doing job)
    All the Best to your career
  • @srikanth
    is this a good backup career according to you?
    administration officers -public insurance companies.
    http://www.nationalinsuranceindia.com/nicWeb/nic/recruitmain.jsp
  • @ abhithepandey - yes
  • @sheen , If you are still interested in bank PO, I can recommend one good book for reasoning
    Analytical reasoning by MK Pandey (BSC publications) . You can do RS Agarwal quickly after going through this book .
  • I have two questions

Which is more difficult IBPS or CSAT's apti paper?

What is the cutoff required for getting in a top bank lets say PNB?

:)

| Commerce | "Conformity is the slowest form of Suicide."
  • edited July 2013
    @Vazu
    1) both
    2) varies from paper to paper, depends on the toughness of the paper.
  • edited July 2013
    @vazu
    ibps's quants/reasoning is tougher english is more or less similar
    the II ibps had top rankers in the range of 150-160....there will be a single interview for all banks after that you will be alloted a bank mainly according to your rank and preference of toppers
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
  • edited July 2013
    @Vazu
    1) The questions of reasoning and quant of IBPS are way tougher than apti questions of CSAT.
    2) Cut offs are not fixed. It depends on the overall performance of all candidates. Merit is prepared on the national basis.
  • the cut off for general category was 135 in II ibps
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
  • Need some guidance - in what order one should mention the preference order for banks in the application form?
  • edited July 2013
    @vinci
    whatever is your liking among the banks(PNB,CANARA,BANK OF BARODA are some of the top banks in terms of income and net profit)...if one is high enough in merit list then only one will get his preferred banks
    and there are some small banks like UNITED BANK
  • amongst various govt. jobs entrance exam,reasoning is toughest in ibps and quants is toughest in ssc cgl 8->
  • hi

Do we need to produce our experience certificates at the time of interview??? or as in UPSC, only educational qualification certificates are required???

All those who have previously appeared for IBPS PO interview could throw some light...
  • @vinci
    whatever is your liking among the banks(PNB,CANARA,BANK OF BARODA are some of the top banks in terms of income and net profit)...if one is high enough in merit list then only one will get his preferred banks
    and there are some small banks like UNITED BANK
    Thanks @rav23cbzx

@All Is there any provision of compulsory posting in rural areas for a definite time period in all banks?

Kindly reply
    Regards :)
  • yet to fill ibps form....can anyone tell me hw shd i fill the bank preference
  • yet to fill ibps form....can anyone tell me hw shd i fill the bank preference
    look at bond amount and probation on different banks that.ll help. google .. bond amount in different banks.... then next according to your own preference .. i.l try and look up my preference list of last time and put it up here .
  • Allahabad Bank : 10
    Andhra Bank : 20
    Bank of Baroda : 3
    Bank of India : 4
    Bank of Maharashtra : 16
    Canara Bank : 7
    Central Bank of India : 5
    Corporation Bank : 9
    Dena Bank : 15
    IDBI Bank : 6
    Indian Bank : 14
    Indian Overseas Bank : 13
    Oriental Bank of Commerce : 2
    Punjab National Bank : 17
    Punjab & Sind Bank : 8
    Syndicate Bank : 12
    UCO Bank : 19
    Union Bank of India : 18
    United Bank of India : 11
    Vijaya Bank : 21
    ECGC : 1
  • edited August 2013
    Allahabad Bank : 10
    Andhra Bank : 20
    Bank of Baroda : 3
    Bank of India : 4
    Bank of Maharashtra : 16
    Canara Bank : 7
    Central Bank of India : 5
    Corporation Bank : 9
    Dena Bank : 15
    IDBI Bank : 6
    Indian Bank : 14
    Indian Overseas Bank : 13
    Oriental Bank of Commerce : 2
    Punjab National Bank : 17
    Punjab & Sind Bank : 8
    Syndicate Bank : 12
    UCO Bank : 19
    Union Bank of India : 18
    United Bank of India : 11
    Vijaya Bank : 21
    ECGC : 1
    Which are the banks which don't require any bond amount?
  • ye list.... hai kya?? :P
  • http://www.bankexamsindia.com/2013/02/bank-salary-probation-bond-details.html?m=1

@RollingStone aaho.. list hai .. as such copy pasted from last time.s application :) ... are they asking preference right away ? last time i filled in the preferences after written result
  • thxs mags...bhag ibps bhag :P....this time their is this list of banks u hav to rank ur preference ...nw since its my 1st time i dun understand hw this works...do they select u and then put u as per ur merit to a bank thts in ur preference list (toppers gettin all choices...low scorers gettin least favoured ones)...n wat abt vacancies per bank???
  • one bank alloted as per merit + seat availability.. you will b alloted the first bank with seats avsilable when they reach you after alloting to everyone above yiu..
  • I would advise u to join a test series from either mahendra/paramount or BSC this will help u in realising your strengths and weaknesses related to this exam..do attempt previous papers they are must.
    if u want to prepare for UPSC after coming in bank then lemme tell u bro this is not that easy..please keep some more options other then banks.But if u dnt have anything in ur hand then its ok...go for it.
    Source- i'm working in BOI.
    Wasnt mee
  • I would advise u to join a test series from either mahendra/paramount or BSC this will help u in realising your strengths and weaknesses related to this exam..do attempt previous papers they are must.
    if u want to prepare for UPSC after coming in bank then lemme tell u bro this is not that easy..please keep some more options other then banks.But if u dnt have anything in ur hand then its ok...go for it.
    Source- i'm working in BOI.

shardool shaab, plz share with us ur experience at BOI and hw did u prep. for IBPS ....also ur list of preference
  • @Kunwar_Shardool , bhai what is bond amount in BOI
  • Rolling Stone
    bro experience is nt so good i feel frustrated working there for eg if i say no to money laundering My organization will screw me fr nt cooperating with the esteemed customers of the Bank. if i work for them then i feel humiliated from inside. There are many other things this was just an example i came here coz i thought i'll work with pride as an officer , morever salary is nt according the job profile. As a DRO u are supposed to do everything U are not allowed to go early ,there is a tradition among Old guys of sitting in the branch till late night while doing nothing , 7:00 PM is early fr them, 8-9 pm has become common time fr me to leave Bank premises,after that i feel so tired that thinking abt preparing seems... tough still i'm trying. Lyf is tough in Banks if u do some mistake nobody is there to save you. So u'll have to be extra careful. U want to give services to people but u cnt coz those sitting in head offices wont dispatch chqbooks or ATM's on time, some people in my branch are waiting from last 1 year for their ATM's everytime they come they make me culprit where as nthnig can be done on the branch level.

there are many other things bt positive point fr me was that i used to be quite aggressive and short tempered during collage days bt in bank public dealing has brought some calmness in my personality nw i feel like i cn listen to people with patience i can listen to thier complaints and face them without getting angry.
    Some customers are really nice and helpful they are even ready to do anything for you i remember when i ws planning to shift my residence they offered their Vehicle and took me along with my stuff .

I ws selected through IBPS-1 where there was no concept of preference i appeared in 6 interviews cleared all except one, i chose BOI as the BOND amount ws just Rs 20,000 and the only condition to leave ws to give 3 month prior notice and as i had UPSC in my mind so i joined BOI.

as far as prepration part is concerned I joined mahendra's test series which helped me immensely in realising where i actually stand and the all india ranking in the test series used to inspire me alot.
    For bank PO exam dnt go for any coaching as its a time waste according to me prepare at some library or make some study group, just go for tests as many as u can attempt.
    I think every job has its PROS and CONS Bank PO is nt an exception. I feel happy when my mom tells to everyother person that my son is an asst manager in a nationalised bank. :P
    Wasnt mee
  • @Kunwar_Shardool....bro can u plz enumerate the preferences of banks in IBPS according to salary and wortk environment...??
  • @abhi_abhi

salary structure in nationalised bank is almost same fluctuating between 21000 to 25000/ month inhand.
    except SBI and its associate banks where u'll have some better allowances.
    Overall package for a PO in public sector banks is between 4.2 to 4.8 lakh per annum.
    work environment in Banks depend upon Place and people, where your branch is located.
    Like i'm working in surat which is a financial hub so we work under immense pressure..similarly here bank's policy is more customer friendly and bank will even issue a memo to its employee if its get some complaint from the customer angainst its own employee.Where as in haryana delhi punjab and UP situation is far better maximum customers are retail customers so Bank's policy is more easy going in such areas(my perception+ experience).
    u'll have to google it as far as salary is concerned for each and every bank and then make ur preference.
    Work culture in similar in all banks Most of the employees are in either thier 50's or in their 20's a big generation gap. So Bank's are facing a big employee crisis , lots of retirement in 2015-16. Then only u can expect some better work culture in Banks till then a New and young officer will have to do every thing irrespective of the number of officers in his branch.
    Wasnt mee
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog