ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Which pens are good to be used in mains exam?

Please share your experience in mains w.r.t handwriting, appearance and flow(tidness, smoothness & speed).
It would be very helpful if selected candidates share their experience.

Comments

• How about flair writometer ( black ink ball pen)?
  • Please share your experience in mains w.r.t handwriting, appearance and flow(tidness, smoothness & speed).
    It would be very helpful if selected candidates share their experience.

Trimax
  • I will use trimax for gs papers
    Use and throw ball pen in civil engg. Optional
  • butterflow or reynoldsracer
  • hope16 said:

I will use trimax for gs papers

Won't trimax smudge?
  • jambooics said:

butterflow or reynoldsracer

Butterflow is good. Reynolds racer is gel pen so is there smudging problem with it?
  • for those using fountain pens, what ink are you using?
    I am using Bril blue but want a more darker colour
    Is black better?
  • hope16 said:

I will use trimax for gs papers

Won't trimax smudge?
    Smudge bole toh ?
  • Cello Butterflow
  • tijabed said:

for those using fountain pens, what ink are you using?
    Is black better?

Bril isn't water resistant. Pilot blue would be better option for the exams.
  • I didn't know that pen matter so much. I just pick up whatever is available from after the test series and go. Its usually Butterflow or Reynolds Zetpoint.
  • tijabed, i'm going to use either sailor kobe #14 or #37
    My dear penguins, we stand on a great threshold! It's okay to be scared; many of you won't be coming back. Thanks to Batman, the time has come to punish *all* God's children! 1st, 2nd, 3rd *and* 4th-born! Why be biased? Male and female! Hell, the sexes are equal with their erogenous zones blown sky high! Forward march! The liberation of Gotham has begun!

• Okay guys share your experience about following

1. Cello Gripper ( 0.5mm ball point pen)

2. Cello Max Writer

3. Flair Sporty.

4. Add gel achiever

5. Reynolds Trimax ( I guess its most voted pen )

6. Reynolds Jotter.
  • Last time, I ignored the importance of pen in Mains and paid some marks accordingly. Thanks for initiating the thread.
    But, hella lot of pens in the market. Just confusing.
    My suggestion: Buy every pen mentioned in here, from market and test yourself. Because, some have fat and short fingers, while some have slim and long ones. While other geniuses doesn't require a pen at all :P
  • One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • edited August 2016
    Moonshine said:

tijabed said:

Is black better?

Thanks. I will check that out.
    How long before it fades a bit? My bril fades fast.
    If you have done a blue vs black comparision for any brand, would you recommend black?
  • tijabed, i'm going to use either sailor kobe #14 or #37

I found no online retailer. I am looking at pilot blue for now. Thanks.
  • Hi which pen is recommended in ball point pen category...I generally use either writometer or pin point....ink pens like pilot I can't handle letters will be too sharp for me with them. Is gel pen also similar to ink pen or is it more like ball pen?
  • Linc Glycer is a pretty good pen for folks who write small, sharp and block letters.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • tijabed said:

Moonshine said:

tijabed said:

Is black better?

If you have done a blue vs black comparision for any brand, would you recommend black?
    Pilot blue looks a bit dull but does not fade. I don't thing you will get a vibrant blue color like camlin royal blue with waterproof quality.
    I use Noodlers black bulltetproof. A bit expensive but the best black color in the market. It is waterproof ink of archival quality, perfect for written examination.
  • Moonshine said:

tijabed said:

Moonshine said:

tijabed said:

Is black better?

Pilot blue looks a bit dull but does not fade. I don't thing you will get a vibrant blue color like camlin royal blue with waterproof quality.
    I use Noodlers black bulltetproof. A bit expensive but the best black color in the market. It is waterproof ink of archival quality, perfect for written examination.
    Checked out some blogs. I like the colour. Noodlers is not in my range.
    Might get the black one.
    Thanks again
  • Samvidhan said:

uniball

which type of uniball any specific one?
  • tijabed, it is not easy to find a blue that is water resistant as well as bright. only some inks like baystate blue manage to do that. it is easier to find blacks and blue blacks with water resistance.
    diamine sapphire blue has decent water resistance and is not a dull ink. currently only carts are available at pensavenue.com
    you might try mixing a diamine blue of your choice to pilot blue to get the colour you want and still maintain some water resistance. pilot blue looks dull from dry nibs. too wet a nib may cause feathering.
    if you are comfortable with blacks, pelikan brilliant black has decent water resistance, is relatively cheap(60ml@350inr) and is easily available.
    the dryness/wetness of the nib that you are using also needs to be factored in while making the ink choice.
    currently i have following blue/blue black inks:
    diamine majestic blue, diamine blue velvet, pilot blue
    sailor sei boku, kobe no 14, kobe no 37, sailor souten
    platinum blue black, platinum pigmented blue, iroshizuku tsuki yo
    bril royal blue, noodlers baystate blue, pelikan blue black

if you want a comparison/sample please let me know
    My dear penguins, we stand on a great threshold! It's okay to be scared; many of you won't be coming back. Thanks to Batman, the time has come to punish *all* God's children! 1st, 2nd, 3rd *and* 4th-born! Why be biased? Male and female! Hell, the sexes are equal with their erogenous zones blown sky high! Forward march! The liberation of Gotham has begun!

• I think I am comfortable upto price 400. So its Waterman/ Diamine/ Camlin(pensavenue)
    I checked pelikan brilliant black and it costs about 2k.
    Could you show a bril/pilot/diamine comparision?
    I use a camlin kokuyo trinity. I saw a couple of blogs about pilot blue and the colour though not so bright wasn't as bad as my bril and it doesn't fade. So that's a plus.
    I am leaning towards a black colour of one of the three I mentioned earlier.
  • pelikan 4001 inks can be had for 60ml@350inr.
    if you are looking for a black , sheaffer skrip black is good too 50ml@400 inr
    will post the comparison in a day or two

• Pilot V5 is easy on your hand. Quite fast too. But it takes a few weeks to acclimatize with. I don't experience any fatigue on my hand even after writing for hours with it.
  • tijabed, i had no more pilot blue left. i had mixed some steel blue in the pilot blue bottle

since the nib used is fairly wet, feathering is visible.
    paper also makes a lot of difference. the second image shows #14 on fountain pen friendly paper
    upsc blues .jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 60K
    maya lapis.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 71K

• I would go with the same pen i use for notes and mocks..

Mera apna REYNOLDS.. fine carbure :)
    Yunan-o-Misr-o-Roma Sab Mit Gaye Jahan Se
    Ab Tak Magar Hai Baki Naam-o-Nishan Hamara
    Kuchh Baat Hai Ke Hasti Mit’ti Nahin Hamari
    Sadiyon Raha Hai Dushman Daur-e-Zaman Hamara...jai hind
  • i use pilot hitechpoint 05.. very smooth, more smooth than trimax, but ink takes some more time than trimax to dry..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog