43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Shifting to Delhi just for Test Series. Advisable?

I have been preparing all alone for one year. I don't plan to join any coaching. But I think my mains preparation is very lackluster. Is it advisable if I shift to Delhi for say Oct-Nov just for test series? Or what should be an ideal time to make such a shift?

Additional inputs on monthly finances accruing to such a stay in a preferably peaceful environment are also welcome.

Thanks
·

Comments

• Smart phone hai to telegram install kar, Kulbir Singh UPSC materials, VV reddy and Shashi thakur hai aur wo sare test series tumhne ghar par hi mil jayegay without any fees except internet charge. Delhi mein aakar nahiya doob jati hai logo ki. Aur uspe 20000 ke test series
    ·
  • @MrPREM_CHOPRA bhai I didn't get.. can u please explain kulbir Singh, vv reddy , shashi Thakur ... Who r they? And how they will send test series ..
    PS-- I m very new to this field ..
    ·
  • If your intention is to get evaluation from some coaching institute I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the correction is done by aspirants themselves.
    But if you can discuss personally with some faculty then it will be worth it. They can give you real direction. I don't mean some random people who pretend to be experts but people who are reliable.

The best thing to do would be to talk to a person who scored well in GS mains. It's not that hard to find such a person.

·
  • If your intention is to get evaluation from some coaching institute I wouldn't recommend it. Most of the correction is done by aspirants themselves.
    But if you can discuss personally with some faculty then it will be worth it. They can give you real direction. I don't mean some random people who pretend to be experts but people who are reliable.

The best thing to do would be to talk to a person who scored well in GS mains. It's not that hard to find such a person.

then why the cost of 15k? I checked visions test series just now. offering 8 tests i.e. 2 papers for the four GS sections. seems an inordinate amount.

I don't know many aspirants in person. Talked to a girl during break yesterday, she seemed sensible and she advised for shifting to a company with fellow aspirants. I was thinking a timed test and quality evaluation would be the plus points for joining test series in Delhi, and may be company of some people well versed with preparation might help as well.
    ·
  • Good Company is useful and timed test taking is very useful but evaluation is done by aspirants. I know many of them. Some of them have no clue about gs.
    ·
  • I think what u want from test series...

Firstly, there are online test series available. You can take it. But studying in isolation is not a good idea.

If u shift to delhi, you will have following advantages
    1) the environment of study is awesome and if you manage to make friends with some spirited students during your stay, you will more than compensate for what you are missing in terms of money.
    2) You can go and meet the faculty whenever you want and ask why you got less marks in this test.
    3) Stimulated environment of test taking where there will be no distractions. I took test series at home and there are many distractions. Many sounds coming. Some times you even lose interest after writing 3-4 answers or half paper and you think you will write after some time. This is the biggest problem i faced while writing test series.
    4) They organise discussions for each test after the test and you can ask questions and clear your doubts in person.
    5) You cant study 16 hrs a day. So going out for discussion and writing tests freshens your mind. Also meeting and seeing ppl get more marks instill in you a sense of competition and pushes you to work harder. Whereas in house you are in a nutshell and feel that its ok. You can do better in next test. And then again you dont study.
    6) Meeting people always keeps depression at bay. Friedns will always take away your depression with their witty jokes and all.
    7) Discussion with your roommate on issues will clear things in your mind and u both can benefit from each other's opinion.

So, I feel you have the no money issues (i.e you can arrange for it from your parents or you have some savings), I would totally advise you to go to Delhi as it has many advantages and will help you immensely if you find some serious aspirants as you are.

Good luck
    ·
  • No. These days the test series are available online. You can write your ans, scan and send. They will be evaluated just like those for classroom students. Moreover, the test discussion videos are also uploaded. You will not miss anything by not going to Delhi.
    ·
  • thanks for the inputs friends, any1 feeling to add anything is most welcome
    ·
  • thanks for the inputs friends, any1 feeling to add anything is most welcome

AS i mentioned earlier, i think that it would be wise to go to Delhi. Isolation and wrong environment are the biggest problem one has to face while preparing at home. Also, frustration and sadness sets in cause u are all alone. And if you fail, there is no push to get rid of it.

Where as in Delhi, you will make some friends and even if you do bad in some tests but see everyone in your room studying, u will study. I went to Delhi for a week to my friends room for buying relevant books and I am telling you, though i didnt had any books and it was my first trip to delhi and i didnt had any intentions of studying in that one week, i read their books and in one week i was able to read 2 books (Bipin Chandra and Goh Cho leong). I was never able to repeat this when i was home and preparing on my own.

My friend lived with his roommate. And in those 7 days i saw that they only talked when they had to eat. They watched movie/TV series when they ate food. One movie, they never saw in one go. Three times they saw only during eating for half an hour and 1.5 hrs in total and the movie would end by the day. Such was their dedication. They kept in touch with other like minded ppl who were preparing for IAS and got the latest info of what was going on in their coachings and what to do and what not to do. Which coaching material is good for a given topic. What test series is currently having best reviews etc.

My friend's gf dumped him and he left for his home after being dumped after writing his first mains. He has cleared prelims thrice. After my friend left, his roommate shared his room with gf who is also giving IAS exam living in Delhi. He has appeared in interview thrice. Both are from top engineering colleges of India. My friends engineering college is ranked 3rd while his roommate's was ranked 10th a few years ago.

This time also they are scoring above 140+ in prelims.

Me, I never lived in Delhi and never cleared prelims. I am an average aspirants and average aspirant do have some difficulty in preparing in isolation. You are definately smarter than me as u have done 67 question correctly. So, you can definately cope with such problems in better way.

Hope this example gives you some perspective of benefits of living in Delhi. Good luck on your choice.
    ·
  • Additional inputs on monthly finances accruing to such a stay in a preferably peaceful environment are also welcome.

15k for comfortable living. Since you are not joining any coaching and only test series, you can afford to live at a place which is cheaper and travel once a week to your exam center to give tests. A good enough single room in 2BHK on sharing basis with one other room partner can be found in Rs 5,000. Rs 3,000 you will need for food (if you dont smoke and dont drink heavily). Rs 3000 on refreshment activities like going to a mall once a week or watching a movie in theatre. And around Rs 2000 for going to test centre and coming back. Rs 2000 for additional unforeseen expenses.

I know students who can manage within Rs 10,000 or even less. The biggest expense will be the room rent. Food and transport is essential as well.

Good Luck.
    ·
  • Is it advisable if I shift to Delhi for say Oct-Nov just for test series?

If you want to shift, shift in middle of August as all test series will start from middle of August. You can take one week extra and shift in last week of August but not later than that as that will be too late.

If you are joining test series, stick to the timeline given. Dont fall in the flexibility trap. its a trap so that students cannot complete test series and they can save money on getting the test paper checked.

You should be dilgent with test series. Take it preferably on the first day. Or else you wont be able to complete the syllabus in time. The flexibility is a trap. If you fall in this trap, you will think i will give this test in next week and you will waste that week. And this is really true.

Give the test on day its scheduled. Or else you are doomed. Trust me on this.
    ·
  • If u plan to take some coaching for optional too then only its advisable according to me.
    Vision ias online course is the one which u can join..
    ·
  • edited August 2016
    thanks @banksy for such a considerate reply, very helpful insights
    ·
  • edited August 2016

If u plan to take some coaching for optional too then only its advisable according to me.
    Vision ias online course is the one which u can join..

hmm... actually I am also confused about how many tests are good enough before actual mains, there are 2 tests for each GS paper that vision has in their plan. On the face of it 2 tests look few. I'll go thru their plans once again, may be I missed something. or considering 3 hours for each paper, may be 2 tests are enough.
    ·
  • edited August 2016
    @Richard_Parker It all depends on how motivated you are & whats your needs are. Delhi has down sides too... Homesickness, poor quality food , accommodation, health takes a toll esp. if you are not accustomed to live away from home. Its easier to get lost in crowd , for every serious candidate there are 10 non serious candidates.
    If you are already motivated/serious then you are on square footing vis a vis any Delhi candidate. People have done it, cleared on regular basis studying from home even on forum ias itself. Place alone will not suffice you have to work your ass off be it Delhi or your home town. Just chalk out what matters to your system home turf advantage or other benefits that Delhi provides to novices as mentioned above.

P.S- My intention is not too confuse but behove you to take balanced view. Happy Hunting.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google