ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

DAF for CS-Mains 2013 Guidance/Queries/Discussion

Comments

• I haven't received a mail confirming the submission of my daf! Submitted it last night :-SS
  • I haven't received a mail confirming the submission of my daf! Submitted it last night :-SS
    Neither did I. A lot of people hadn't got for Prelims either (including me again). It's a usual problem with nic sites apparently, no need to worry :)
  • Does during interview UPSC people check certificates of Prizes/Medals/Scholarships which we mention in DAF?
  • edited August 2013
    Does during interview UPSC people check certificates of Prizes/Medals/Scholarships which we mention in DAF?
    No, they don't.
  • Is there anyone else who hasn't won any prize/medal worth mentioning? is it fine to leave that section blank?
  • This could be a long shot but I would still go for it. Is there a pattern that the UPSC follows for scheduling the interviews of the qualified candidates? I have two valid addresses and was unsure of which one to put in and thus wanted to know, if the one I put in, would have any bearing on the scheduling.
    Also, I do remember that they don't send any correspondence before mains - but not sure if they send some, after mains? I am asking because the correspondence address of mine might change :(

Also, I have one other doubt. Please don't take this the wrong way but I would like to know that once you are assigned a cadre of relatively smaller state, lets say Sikkim, how is the postings going to be like. What I mean to say is that isn't the responsibilities and complexities faced by Chief Secretary of a small state equivalent to little more than the one faced a Divisional Commissioner in one of the bigger states? Is it really so? If yes, how does that justify the correspondence with Seniority?
    Any help on these would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
    CSE 2013 - AIR 83
    "Mere jajbaaton se iss kadar vakif hai kalam meri, Main ishq bhi likhna chahoon to inqlaab likha jata hai" - Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh
  • Is there anyone else who hasn't won any prize/medal worth mentioning? is it fine to leave that section blank?
    I am going to leave it blank..though there are a few prizes and "medals" ,but like you said ,I dont find them worth mentioning :)
  • i think its better to write something than leave it blank
  • @all
    I am currently pursuing my MTech from IITD. I am in my 2nd year and am expected to complete my degree by May-2014. Can I mention this information in the Post-Graduation section of DAF. mentioning my year of passing as 2014..(.although the section asks for completed degree only) .. ?
  • I dont understand why so many people have so many doubts.Either people are too lazy not to go through the instructions keenly,or they acually cant understand the things.If it is the first reason,then they dont deserve siting in the mains,and if is the second reason,then god may help them.UPSC is the most aspirant friendly recruiting organisation that one would ever come across.They help an aspirant like no other would.Still people have such queries that one would go nuts.Please guys,this is not an LKG class examination form.Try to undersand the things ourself.No one is a master here except someone who has filled the form six times before.I hope people forget spoon feeding and acually get grooving themselves.
  • @Stardust It is perfectly fine to leave the column . If asked in the interview , you can always tell them that you did win prizes but they were not worth mentioning . Btw , are you leaving it blank or writing nil/n.a?

@abdullko I don't think you should write something just for the sake of filling the column. Be honest with yourself and with the board. Just my opinion :)
  • 2012: Mains | 2013: Interview | 2014: IRTS | 2015: IPS | 2016: Uncharted Territory
    Step by step success is written in my destiny
  • Is thAh! finally a comment on this thread to which i could connect :P ere anyone else who hasn't won any prize/medal worth mentioning? is it fine to leave that section blank?
    it seems your query consoled so many people , including me ofcourse :P
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why –Mark Twain
  • DAF and summary sheet printed back to back thus no separate summary sheet .In interview are they going to
    have full mains form??
    Ah! finally a comment on this thread to which i could connect :P it seems your query consoled so many people , including me ofcourse :P
    Everyone cannot be an NTSE scholar or a national-level sportsperson! On second thought, it would not be best to leave it blank. I will think of something, preferably non-academic, to write there.
  • summary sheet in single page??
    so it mean's separate page for summary sheet??
  • summary sheet in single page??
    so it mean's separate page for summary sheet??
    Yes and yes.
  • DAF and summary sheet printed back to back thus no separate summary sheet .In interview are they going to
    have full mains form??
    The chairman has the entire DAF, the rest of the members have a copy of the summary sheet each.
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
    have full mains form??
    The chairman has the entire DAF, the rest of the members have a copy of the summary sheet each.
    Are you sure ? why chairman need entire DAF ?
  • edited August 2013
    DAF and summary sheet printed back to back thus no separate summary sheet .In interview are they going to
    have full mains form??
    I don't think Arpit will have an answer to this. :-?
  • did anyone submitted hard copy of daf for ifos??do we need to paste the photogoraph??
  • In the mains form we need to submit last 3 year income tax returns in OBC annexture for the proof father’s and mother’s income. I have OBC certificate and also the income proof by circle officer made in the block. But my parents do not fill returns.

Could anybody please tell if not attaching tax returns with the annexture will have any serious implication on my candidature? What should I do now?
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!
  • Hi all,
    I find IRTS more affable than IRS, but almost no one seems to agree with me.

IRTS is more of an administrative & developmental sort of a work. While IRS would be a more sit-at-desk technical sort of a job (esp. IRS (IT)).
    IRTS would have better perks, infra, house etc
    IRS is more prone to corruption (to accommodate colleagues' moral flexibility would be a bit problematic for me).
    IRTS would have more traveling. More people interaction (your work affecting thousands everyday, directly) and on the whole more diverse and interesting jobs at hand.

Please indicate what am I missing? It is an important slot on the preference list.
  • edited August 2013
    Hi all,
    I find IRTS more affable than IRS, but almost no one seems to agree with me.

IRTS is more of an administrative & developmental sort of a work. While IRS would be a more sit-at-desk technical sort of a job (esp. IRS (IT)).
    IRTS would have better perks, infra, house etc
    IRS is more prone to corruption (to accommodate colleagues' moral flexibility would be a bit problematic for me).
    IRTS would have more traveling. More people interaction (your work affecting thousands everyday, directly) and on the whole more diverse and interesting jobs at hand.

Please indicate what am I missing? It is an important slot on the preference list.
    i agree with you... \m/
    hv preferred IRTS over IRS-IT
    have full mains form??
    I don't think Arpit will have an answer to this. :-?
    We can only make educated guess...

The DAF shows your preference of one service over other and your cadre choices. UPSC may want to know why someone would want to go against the trend (for example, picking IPS over IAS which is usually a more popular service choice). These kind of questions come from chairman usually and the rest of the members take clue from him/her.

In my case, I was asked why my first preference of cadre was Uttarakhand despite UP being my home state.

One more key feature of DAF (although this one shows heavy discretionary power given to chairman) is that it contains the details of your category, number of attempts, your socio-economic background (parent's salary and origin). So it gives chairman a fair amount of idea about the lives that we've had. May be somehow helps them decide our marks... :P (This one is just an idea and open to discussion, I am not sure how it works or even if it really works)
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
  • @Arpit I agree with all the points made by you. I also believe that our background (in all respects - academic, social, economic, family, professional etc.) makes a huge impact on the way our interview progress (as it's the chairman who starts the interview and his first initial questions provides a clue to other members as to what kind of questions can be asked to the candidate) as well as the final marks we get in interview.
    2012: Mains | 2013: Interview | 2014: IRTS | 2015: IPS | 2016: Uncharted Territory
    Step by step success is written in my destiny
  • is there anyone else who has deficient colour vision and thus not indicating ips as a peference...i know i am colour blind,should i still go on and fill in ips leaving the rest to medical board of upsc or should i skip ips altogether...will there be any problem?
  • Hi all,
    Shud we need to send the originals of obc ncl certificate or just the attested copy of it ..
    And for obc affidavit they have IT returns of parents ? Is photocopy enough ? Pls tell me what are the originals need to be sent along with the daf print out?
    any obc candidates here?
  • is there anyone else who has deficient colour vision and thus not indicating ips as a peference...i know i am colour blind,should i still go on and fill in ips leaving the rest to medical board of upsc or should i skip ips altogether...will there be any problem?
    If you already know that you are color blind, i don't think there is any use for you to fill IPS as a preference. Eventually, you wont be allocated IPS based on your medical examination. All it would do is , complicate things for you.. You dont want to pass through that stage where your "result is withheld" because you failed to clear the medical, then wait for a few months for a new list where you will be allocated a service other than IPS anyways. So, if you already know you are ineligible for IPS why waste so much of time.
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog