MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

SDM (Uttarakhand) Vs IRAS

I am SDM in uttarakhand. Uttarakhand, Being a small state, political interference is very high. CM even talks to Gram Pradhan. Posting in Good places like Dehradun is only possible with money or political clout. Numerous tehsils have been created without any infrastructure. Since, Uttarakhand is a disaster Prone district, responsibility is very huge in the shoulders of SDM but sad part is that he has not enough subordinate staff. Even DM has very little control over Tehsildar or Patwari due to Political interference.

I have seen that Administration has very little control over departments like Education, Civil supplies and PWD. These departments are directly controlled by respective minosters and DM/SDMs are often bypassed. If administration takes some strict action, political pressure pumps in.

I have been allocated IRAS. Can some one explain how is service profile of IRAS? Which one is better SDM or IRAS?

@Neyawn @Neanderthal

Comments

• by hearing your account, iras definitely sounds better with little or no political interference.. urban postings... railways is overstaffed...so no shortage of staff... only thing is lesser prestige with less social interaction and no promotion to ias... but iras should be better;...
  • I am SDM in uttarakhand. Uttarakhand, Being a small state, political interference is very high. CM even talks to Gram Pradhan. Posting in Good places like Dehradun is only possible with money or political clout. Numerous tehsils have been created without any infrastructure. Since, Uttarakhand is a disaster Prone district, responsibility is very huge in the shoulders of SDM but sad part is that he has not enough subordinate staff. Even DM has very little control over Tehsildar or Patwari due to Political interference.

I have seen that Administration has very little control over departments like Education, Civil supplies and PWD. These departments are directly controlled by respective minosters and DM/SDMs are often bypassed. If administration takes some strict action, political pressure pumps in.

I have been allocated IRAS. Can some one explain how is service profile of IRAS? Which one is better SDM or IRAS?

@Neyawn @Neanderthal

Brother!,
    I am also working in a state govt dept and totally agree with issues raised by you.
    How we fear the BDC meeting where govt officials are gang-raped by Gram Pradhans, bdc and ZP members.
    We have so much responsibility but no authority. The staff is also less and we have no control over them.
    One of my friends is IRAS , I will share his no with you . Please share ur email ID .
  • ARawat said:

I am SDM in uttarakhand. Uttarakhand, Being a small state, political interference is very high. CM even talks to Gram Pradhan. Posting in Good places like Dehradun is only possible with money or political clout. Numerous tehsils have been created without any infrastructure. Since, Uttarakhand is a disaster Prone district, responsibility is very huge in the shoulders of SDM but sad part is that he has not enough subordinate staff. Even DM has very little control over Tehsildar or Patwari due to Political interference.

@Neyawn @Neanderthal

Brother!,
    I am also working in a state govt dept and totally agree with issues raised by you.
    How we fear the BDC meeting where govt officials are gang-raped by Gram Pradhans, bdc and ZP members.
    We have so much responsibility but no authority. The staff is also less and we have no control over them.
    One of my friends is IRAS , I will share his no with you . Please share ur email ID .
    jaywardhan@gmail.com
  • ARawat said:

@Neyawn @Neanderthal

Brother!,
    jaywardhan@gmail.com
    bro! plz check ur email. i hc shared his no .
    whr r u currently posted?
  • edited July 2016
    For an outsider changing job from post like SDM(home state) to IRAS would be nothing but a serious demotion of post and status......
    If same logic of "political pressure" is applied then even IAS is not worth it!!!! .....
    . So why everyone is crazy about upsc cse and becoming IAS.....
  • Tanuj said:

For an outsider changing job from post like SDM(home state) to IRAS would be nothing but a serious demotion of post and status......
    If same logic of "political pressure" is applied then even IAS is not worth it!!!! .....
    . So why everyone is crazy about upsc cse and becoming IAS.....

Quite right bro
    Rich Wildings of North... Thanks to global warming
  • In UP '98 batch PCS officers have got promotion to IAS....In Uttarakhand it may be faster...PCS is way better
  • People in forumias misguide a lot . if there are 10 genuine people , there are 100 other fakes who comment without any solid knowledge of anything at all . it doesn't cost to comment here. Better talk to people in job
  • Bro i feel u have already lost motivation to serve as sdm.. better quit it n join IRAS..it is a very good service..n serving in railways is always a pride.

When u can't do anything as sdm due to reasons u stated above then it is better to quit it join something else where u can do well.

Life is short....ATB
  • When an sdm himself has such a view about the elite service for which we are toiling so hard to get into, I can't understand why their is such a huge mad craze for ias in youth. I really feel like not preparing for atleast ias anymore when service conditions are so risky dangerous and futile for us.
  • 24madaeve said:

When an sdm himself has such a view about the elite service for which we are toiling so hard to get into, I can't understand why their is such a huge mad craze for ias in youth. I really feel like not preparing for atleast ias anymore when service conditions are so risky dangerous and futile for us.

osmetime i think we all are running into rat race .just coz somebody eevrybody says something is good isnt mean it is good ,and if good then good for everyone;perception is the key word ;i have also thought multiple tme to leave preparaition and relax with life ;
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
  • 24madaeve said:

When an sdm himself has such a view about the elite service for which we are toiling so hard to get into, I can't understand why their is such a huge mad craze for ias in youth. I really feel like not preparing for atleast ias anymore when service conditions are so risky dangerous and futile for us.

osmetime i think we all are running into rat race .just coz somebody eevrybody says something is good isnt mean it is good ,and if good then good for everyone;perception is the key word ;i have also thought multiple tme to leave preparaition and relax with life ;
    Same here. After seeing honest ias officers getting arrested and wife and daughter of bureaucrat committing suicide In Delhi and a senior ias lady officer sexually harassed in Andhra by party men, it disheartens. It's better to target not such elite service like irs ifs railways.
  • I would like to share few first hand incidence indicating the deterioration of administration in Uttarakhand. I am presently working as SDM in Uttarakhand.

1. Recently a under construction bridge collapsed in Uttarkashi due to strong wind. The then DM Sridhar Babu Addanki orderd the SE(Superintendent Engineer) PWD to register a FIR against the guilty contactor. SE outrightly denied this stating that he needs orders from his Chief Engineer. DM then directed me to register FIR. I promptly got FIR lodged against the contractor and the SE PWD. But soon the SE approached the political leaders and after few daya we got a letter from Secretary to quash the FIR. Soon, DM was transferred to Secretariate. He had a tenure of only around 42 days as a DM. Later on, I was also shunted to non-field position.

2. In another incidence, one day during road inspection, DM scolded a Junior Engineer for poor quality of work. And the very next day, all the diploma engineers sat on strike. Later on, the CM intervened and called of strike. (In Uttarakhand, no leader can dare resent even a crowd of 50 persons bcoz they can change their political fate.)

3. In a meeting, I was shocked to see that our ACS (Additional Chief Secretary) vacated his seat for MLA (Just MLA) Himesh Kharkwal who is considered very close to CM. In fact, every MLA is very close to CM bcoz loss of a single MLA means change in government. Moreover,Secretaries only prefer to say YES in front of CM.

4. All contractors are very close to political leaders. I can strongly say that not a single IAS /PCS officers can take action against them including chief secretary. Infact, in Uttarakhand, political leaders are encashing the hill plain divide. Any officer not succumbing to their demand is transferred to remote hill districts where he is just a leader of highly demotivated work force. (Mind it, it takes more than 18 hours to reach from district headquarter Pithoragarh to Capital city Dehradun. That too with a very difficult hill journey with pathetic roads and hardly any collector can even think of keeping his family in Pithoragarh due to health and educational constraints.)

5. Collector is responsible for law and order in District. In Uttarakhand, under new police regulation, SP is not subordinate to DM. DM does not fill his ACR now. This has virtually left DM with little control over police. Only thing he can do is to complaint about Police to higher officials who hardly heed such complain under political pressures.

6. Recenly a very young IAS officer Late Shri Akshat Gupta died due to cardiac arrest. Everyone knows that it was not a cardiac arrest but a POLITICAL PRESURE INDUCED murder.

7. State services in Uttarakhand suck with absence of clarity in service rules which are often twisted for KAAM CHALAU Vyavstha. Worst part is pathetic peer group!! Thanks to multilayered reservation- women, rajya andolankari, freedom fighters bla bla.... IAS are much better in this part.

I have worked with more than six collectors and have been very close to three of them. Even the present collector considers me as his right hand. I have seen their life very closely. One day my DM was asking me "which medicine do you take for anxiety"?

Above account is very true at least in case of Uttarakhand. Many IAS/PCS officers are flourishing here but at the cost of ethics and dignity. Secretaries only prefer to say YES in front of CM.

This time I had put Uttarakhand at very bottom as a cadre of preference despite being the native of Uttarakhand.

Picture may be rosy in other states but not here.
  • I would like to share few first hand incidence indicating the deterioration of administration in Uttarakhand. I am presently working as SDM in Uttarakhand.

1. Recently a under construction bridge collapsed in Uttarkashi due to strong wind. The then DM Sridhar Babu Addanki orderd the SE(Superintendent Engineer) PWD to register a FIR against the guilty contactor. SE outrightly denied this stating that he needs orders from his Chief Engineer. DM then directed me to register FIR. I promptly got FIR lodged against the contractor and the SE PWD. But soon the SE approached the political leaders and after few daya we got a letter from Secretary to quash the FIR. Soon, DM was transferred to Secretariate. He had a tenure of only around 42 days as a DM. Later on, I was also shunted to non-field position.

2. In another incidence, one day during road inspection, DM scolded a Junior Engineer for poor quality of work. And the very next day, all the diploma engineers sat on strike. Later on, the CM intervened and called of strike. (In Uttarakhand, no leader can dare resent even a crowd of 50 persons bcoz they can change their political fate.)

3. In a meeting, I was shocked to see that our ACS (Additional Chief Secretary) vacated his seat for MLA (Just MLA) Himesh Kharkwal who is considered very close to CM. In fact, every MLA is very close to CM bcoz loss of a single MLA means change in government. Moreover,Secretaries only prefer to say YES in front of CM.

4. All contractors are very close to political leaders. I can strongly say that not a single IAS /PCS officers can take action against them including chief secretary. Infact, in Uttarakhand, political leaders are encashing the hill plain divide. Any officer not succumbing to their demand is transferred to remote hill districts where he is just a leader of highly demotivated work force. (Mind it, it takes more than 18 hours to reach from district headquarter Pithoragarh to Capital city Dehradun. That too with a very difficult hill journey with pathetic roads and hardly any collector can even think of keeping his family in Pithoragarh due to health and educational constraints.)

5. Collector is responsible for law and order in District. In Uttarakhand, under new police regulation, SP is not subordinate to DM. DM does not fill his ACR now. This has virtually left DM with little control over police. Only thing he can do is to complaint about Police to higher officials who hardly heed such complain under political pressures.

6. Recenly a very young IAS officer Late Shri Akshat Gupta died due to cardiac arrest. Everyone knows that it was not a cardiac arrest but a POLITICAL PRESURE INDUCED murder.

7. State services in Uttarakhand suck with absence of clarity in service rules which are often twisted for KAAM CHALAU Vyavstha. Worst part is pathetic peer group!! Thanks to multilayered reservation- women, rajya andolankari, freedom fighters bla bla.... IAS are much better in this part.

I have worked with more than six collectors and have been very close to three of them. Even the present collector considers me as his right hand. I have seen their life very closely. One day my DM was asking me "which medicine do you take for anxiety"?

Above account is very true at least in case of Uttarakhand. Many IAS/PCS officers are flourishing here but at the cost of ethics and dignity. Secretaries only prefer to say YES in front of CM.

This time I had put Uttarakhand at very bottom as a cadre of preference despite being the native of Uttarakhand.

Sad to hear that political goons is moulded in hill state .I also believe that being small state immense power is given to organisation .By reading your story, it seems UKpcs is not worth to prepare .

Rich Wildings of North... Thanks to global warming
  • edited July 2016

I would like to share few first hand incidence indicating the deterioration of administration in Uttarakhand. I am presently working as SDM in Uttarakhand.

I am sure that some officers would blossom in such conditions as well.....
    And I am doubly sure that condition of IAS /pcs is not worst in uttarakhand.... There must be many more challenging states.....

But really thanks sir for giving insiders prespective which will help future officers to be mentally prepared to face such conditions...
  • You can run and live happily by ignoring but if you have faith in something, you will never find peace until you fix the wrong.
    random.jpg
    1349 x 582 - 162K
  • edited July 2016
    I think ias is facing same conditions across India. Such conditions of service are very suffocating and dangerous for the officer and his family
  • 24madaeve said:

I think ias is facing same conditions across India. Such conditions of service are very suffocating and dangerous for the officer and his family

dont u think u r getting too demotivating ; exam is just around the corner just give a final try before quiting
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
  • There are umpteen number of services. Don't get into Ias and ips, choose something else.
  • The so called highly qualified and intellectually sound youth who are increasingly opting for civil services (upsc and psc) are usually sober and benign with a mindset that believes in rule of law and rationality and logic. And they apply same approach in the field posting where dynamics are altogether different. I have especially noticed that people from sports quota or background and NCC are very successful in field postings like in police, administration etc. Pupils which had been involved in aggressive and manipulative team games like football, basketball, kabaddi, kho kho etc. seems to have developed an inbuilt Aggressiveness and robustness towards their competitors which is very much lacking in majority of today's so called highly educated and well mannered decent civil servants. I have seen even Group C public servants boldly facing (without any pressure and tension) some of the worse conditions than mentioned in this thread very aggressively and confidently without any political backing. The point is that they know how to deal with different persons differently and with some even you have to deal with brutally. That's the real challenge otherwise even a vacant chair is enough to run the administration.
    Fatal Attractions ~~
  • edited July 2016
    Honestly, with due respect to your post, what do you want to accomplish by hoisting ur multiple-success story on a public forum ? You know well that a vast majority of us out here are struggling for a single damn success. Many of us missed the mark by a whisker - I sure did, twice.
    Lately I've seen many such multiple-success-advice-seeking threads out here. And I can postulate with confidence that 99.99% of their real motive is just to flaunt their multiple successes in public.The advice part is just a front. They all have already made up their minds on their future course of actions. I'll bet anyone anything on this.

My advice is, count your blessings, admit that you struck it lucky, thank heavens for that lucky star, visit some shrine and stuff (Uttarakhand has many), do some jaagran/chowki and follow the course which you've already decided. You narrated all the parameters of your current job and yet u seem unable to take a decision. Strange. No wonder that politicians bypass u.
    If u wud have been honestly curious, u wud have asked for the practical nature of IRAS job instead of throwing out all the negatives of ur current post. Thousands of youth wud give anything to be a SDM anywhere. Dantewada, Bastar, Kashmir, Nagaland, Arunachal, Andaman - anywhere. I sure will. Have a little respect for this fact.

I reiterate, I mean no disrespect to you. I just don't approve of your and other such supercilious posts. They are hurtful. If I wud have been the mod, admin or whatever u call the regulators here, I wud have removed all such posts at their inception itself.
  • manthan said:

The so called highly qualified and intellectually sound youth who are increasingly opting for civil services (upsc and psc) are usually sober and benign with a mindset that believes in rule of law and rationality and logic. And they apply same approach in the field posting where dynamics are altogether different. I have especially noticed that people from sports quota or background and NCC are very successful in field postings like in police, administration etc. Pupils which had been involved in aggressive and manipulative team games like football, basketball, kabaddi, kho kho etc. seems to have developed an inbuilt Aggressiveness and robustness towards their competitors which is very much lacking in majority of today's so called highly educated and well mannered decent civil servants. I have seen even Group C public servants boldly facing (without any pressure and tension) some of the worse conditions than mentioned in this thread very aggressively and confidently without any political backing. The point is that they know how to deal with different persons differently and with some even you have to deal with brutally. That's the real challenge otherwise even a vacant chair is enough to run the administration.

exactly ... No one will offer you the power or position rather you need to capture it and keep your hold on it ... this rule was there in past and even applicable in today's world

what if PM says every other party opposes us, different group pressurize us, the administration is corrupt, lazy and unskilled to deal the problem ... we cannot run like this ... rather i should look for UN secretary post ... no political or anyother pressure, clean and skill administration etc...etc

well just by being selected as IAS/other or elected as PM won;t make you successful IAS/PM/other or your life easier ... every single moment you have show your skills that the position which you hold you are capable of it .... the power/control is not in position rather it's the person which holds the position

Sir all hopes lie on few officers who are honest.least can be expected from these goons who don't have any love for their own state.sir can you please share what is the career progression of a pcs officer in uttarakhand.in how many years he gets promoted to adm and higher ranks

Sir all hopes lie on few officers who are honest.least can be expected from these goons who don't have any love for their own state.sir can you please share what is the career progression of a pcs officer in uttarakhand.in how many years he gets promoted to adm and higher ranks
    You will be given 6600 gp in 5 years but not necessarily the ADM position. It is a time scale. For higher scale, difficult to say anything. A case is pending in H'ble SC regarding the seniority. Many NT/Tehsildar were promoted to higher grade without determining the seniority position. So there is dispute b/w direct PCS and Promoted officers.

First batch 2005 joining has reached to CDO position. If they win the case, they will become IAS. So it can take anything between 10-15 year to get promotion in IAS. But if case is nkt decided in favour of direct PCS, it may take even more years. A case of seniority which is filed by me is also pending in H'ble HC.

You will be given 6600 gp in 5 years but not necessarily the ADM position. It is a time scale. For higher scale, difficult to say anything. A case is pending in H'ble SC regarding the seniority. Many NT/Tehsildar were promoted to higher grade without determining the seniority position. So there is dispute b/w direct PCS and Promoted officers.

First batch 2005 joining has reached to CDO position. If they win the case, they will become IAS. So it can take anything between 10-15 year to get promotion in IAS. But if case is nkt decided in favour of direct PCS, it may take even more years. A case of seniority which is filed by me is also pending in H'ble HC.
    Right... There is dispute of seniority pending.

A case is recently filed by our batchmates shubhangi and others vs govt of Uttarakhand to stop the DPC of tehdildar to SDM before deciding seniority.

• You will be given 6600 gp in 5 years but not necessarily the ADM position. It is a time scale. For higher scale, difficult to say anything. A case is pending in H'ble SC regarding the seniority. Many NT/Tehsildar were promoted to higher grade without determining the seniority position. So there is dispute b/w direct PCS and Promoted officers.

Thank u ma'am for the valuable info.hope you guys win the case.
  • pks11630 said:

Honestly, with due respect to your post, what do you want to accomplish by hoisting ur multiple-success story on a public forum ? You know well that a vast majority of us out here are struggling for a single damn success. Many of us missed the mark by a whisker - I sure did, twice.
    Lately I've seen many such multiple-success-advice-seeking threads out here. And I can postulate with confidence that 99.99% of their real motive is just to flaunt their multiple successes in public.The advice part is just a front. They all have already made up their minds on their future course of actions. I'll bet anyone anything on this.

My advice is, count your blessings, admit that you struck it lucky, thank heavens for that lucky star, visit some shrine and stuff (Uttarakhand has many), do some jaagran/chowki and follow the course which you've already decided. You narrated all the parameters of your current job and yet u seem unable to take a decision. Strange. No wonder that politicians bypass u.
    If u wud have been honestly curious, u wud have asked for the practical nature of IRAS job instead of throwing out all the negatives of ur current post. Thousands of youth wud give anything to be a SDM anywhere. Dantewada, Bastar, Kashmir, Nagaland, Arunachal, Andaman - anywhere. I sure will. Have a little respect for this fact.

I reiterate, I mean no disrespect to you. I just don't approve of your and other such supercilious posts. They are hurtful. If I wud have been the mod, admin or whatever u call the regulators here, I wud have removed all such posts at their inception itself.

Yaar tere commment ki saari baaton se to main agree nhi karta lekin tera comment padhke hansi bahut aayi. Mata ki chowki... Ha ha ha. Very well written content.
    Believe me, success in any of these administrative jobs is like dream come true for anyone. People want to celebrate it in every way possible. So even if someone wants to brag about it, as you postulated, let him/her do it. Ignore it if it hurts you. Its okay bhai, you will get your day under the Sun. You'll have your success soon. Just hang in there tight.

ek honest advice meri bhi hai, whatever you become later in life, but do try your hands as a speech writer or become a politician yourself. I don't know if you consciously know this but you've used at least two tools of rhetoric in your comment. One you've prodded ur opponent ('no wonder politicians bypass u') and u invoked the masses ('thousands of youth'). Your comment has a mass appeal. And u ended it in respect (no disrespect).
    Double thumbs up for content.
    "When life ends up breathtakingly fucked, you can generally trace it back to ONE BIG BAD DECISION. The one which sent you down the road to Shitsberg". -Deadpool
  • Ek to saala aise hi padhai nhi hota. Ye aue dikh gya. Bhaio wakai itne bure halat hain kya?? Hum soche ki pahadi ilaka hai sab bhale log honge
  • Koi reply karo
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog