ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

U.P.-Pcs materials and preparation strategy

Hello every'ne .I 'm skipping Cse pre 2016.I don't know how,but i accidentally got through the state pcs pre -2016.
LUCK had a handsome role in this.
But on the forum,i haven't found a single thread that would help a newcomer handle the state pcs.
Obviously,the ques of Pcs are quite different from Cse and need a differently oriented effort.
So,i would request the U.P. -P.C.s. veterans to contribute the materials required and Preparation strategy.
"Material" particularly is a problem.This thread would help any further new comer to approach systematically.
Thanks .
Atleast Pcs

Comments

• I think..

NCERTs for History and Geography, Laxmikanth for Polity
    Lucent Gk for Science, History and miscellaneous facts
    Purvavlokan series books for previous year papers
    Current affairs from Pratiyogita Darpan or similar magazines.
    For state gk - UP special pariksha vani publication (sanshipt)

This should suffice.
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • I think..

NCERTs for History and Geography, Laxmikanth for Polity
    Lucent Gk for Science, History and miscellaneous facts
    Purvavlokan series books for previous year papers
    Current affairs from Pratiyogita Darpan or similar magazines.
    For state gk - UP special pariksha vani publication (sanshipt)

This should suffice.

Thankyou for the opinion @BackbencherBoy sir.
    I have never read lucent but heard from ssc and pcs veterans that it's too boring and errors are present too.
    So,is there any standard text which could be an alternative for Lucent Gk,in order to handle science and miscellaneous suff ?

Wouldn't studying Ncerts work for science?

Also,aren't Ncerts sufficient for history and misc. Stuff ?

Please explain the actual role of Lucent Gk, in the Pcs Preparation.

Please suggest magazines other than P.D too.
    Thank you very much ,for your reply
    Atleast Pcs
  • @Dr_Raavan There are two books of Lucent. Lucent's General knowledge (yellow cover), and Objective Lucent Gk (blue cover).

it's too boring and errors are present too.
    As far as I know, I haven't found any errors in the former, there were some errors in the previous editions but those are rectified now. Regarding the Objective GK, please don't buy that book, it does contain lots of mistake.

Yeah it can be boring as it is a "no brainer" book, you don't get to clear your basics from that book. All it provides is ready reference data, which you have to mug up with your eyes closed. :D

Yes science can be prepared from ncerts, its just that it will take more time comparatively. If your basics are already clear and all you need is to brush up your facts, then go for Lucent or else you can refer to ncert. (its totally upto you)

aren't Ncerts sufficient for history and misc. Stuff ?
    Ncerts are the best. But lets suppose you've completed all the ncerts of history. Two days are left for the exam, and you are having doubts about which war took place in which year. Now going back to the ncert and skimming through all the pages searching for those would take hours. But if you have Lucent with you, all you would have to do is look at the content, go to that page number and there you are.. all the wars in a single page. ( saves lots of time and energy, doesn't it ?)

Also, in ncerts you wouldn't find facts like .. first woman in space, first man to swim english channel, first to this.. that, largest, longest, fastest and so on.. hence Lucent GK

actual role of Lucent Gk, in the Pcs Preparation
    As already stated, it should be used as a ready reference manual. Its good for revision. Facts from 300 pages of ncerts covered in 30 pages in Lucent, thus you get the cream out of it.

magazines other than P.D
    Chronicle, Sam samayik ghatna chakra.

And please no SIR, I'm just an aspirant like you. :)
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • edited June 2016

@Dr_Raavan There are two books of Lucent. Lucent's General knowledge (yellow cover), and Objective Lucent Gk (blue cover).

it's too boring and errors are present too.
    As far as I know, I haven't found any errors in the former, there were some errors in the previous editions but those are rectified now. Regarding the Objective GK, please don't buy that book, it does contain lots of mistake.

Yeah it can be boring as it is a "no brainer" book, you don't get to clear your basics from that book. All it provides is ready reference data, which you have to mug up with your eyes closed. :D

Yes science can be prepared from ncerts, its just that it will take more time comparatively. If your basics are already clear and all you need is to brush up your facts, then go for Lucent or else you can refer to ncert. (its totally upto you)

aren't Ncerts sufficient for history and misc. Stuff ?
    Ncerts are the best. But lets suppose you've completed all the ncerts of history. Two days are left for the exam, and you are having doubts about which war took place in which year. Now going back to the ncert and skimming through all the pages searching for those would take hours. But if you have Lucent with you, all you would have to do is look at the content, go to that page number and there you are.. all the wars in a single page. ( saves lots of time and energy, doesn't it ?)

Also, in ncerts you wouldn't find facts like .. first woman in space, first man to swim english channel, first to this.. that, largest, longest, fastest and so on.. hence Lucent GK

actual role of Lucent Gk, in the Pcs Preparation
    As already stated, it should be used as a ready reference manual. Its good for revision. Facts from 300 pages of ncerts covered in 30 pages in Lucent, thus you get the cream out of it.

magazines other than P.D
    Chronicle, Sam samayik ghatna chakra.

And please no SIR, I'm just an aspirant like you. :)

Thankyou very much @BackbencherBoy for such a detailed,systematic and to the point information.ATB.bye
    Atleast Pcs
  • Hi...anybody travelling to Ghaziabaad for UP COMBINED LOWER SUBORDINATE EXAM tomorrow from ORN, patel nagar, Ramesh nagar or any other area of Delhi??
    We can share Ola or something
    If interested kindly message me.
    Thanks.
  • hi friends i saw a new website for best Gk material its a unique for all competition exam for ssc ukpcs uppcs so other if you wanna more updates join it https://www.facebook.com/educationmasters.in/

• hi friends i saw a new website for best Gk material its a unique for all competition exam for ssc ukpcs uppcs so other if you wanna more updates join it https://www.facebook.com/educationmasters.in/

Saw nahi beta, created/owned bolo...
    ये वक़्त ना ठहरा है, ये वक़्त ना ठहरेगा |
    यूही गुज़र जाएगा घबराना कैसा |
    हिम्मत से काम लेंगे, घबराना कैसा |

Saw nahi beta, created/owned bolo...
    Hahahah bakhoobi pakadaa

Kuchh zyada hi publicity ho rahi hai @ForumIAS pe ab.
    I fear if this would vitiate the significance of this great platform.
    If you are so desperate, pay for it and get displayed on the homepage!
  • @Dr_Raavan kse Ho? :D
    London main barish bata ke nahi aati
  • Friends! If you are Iooking for some concise PreIims reIated study materiaI which wiII sure shotedIy heIp you to score 65%+, here is your uItimate destination.

" http://www.iasmain.com/download-study-material/ "

Iaxmikanth simpIified, Shankar ias simpIified, Schemes simpIified and Iots more.

PS- The team members have cIeared preIims atIeast 5 times incIuding ifos cut-offs thrice.
  • @backbencher @Dr_Raavan study material mentioned above is for prelims I suppose..please confirm..

I want to prepare for this year up pre..

I studied ncerts for Upsc..and one reading will..refresh me..never read lucent..so will buy to get gk part..not GS..

Magazines mentioned above..samay chakra..are they available online? Since I am not in Delhi?

What about mains..uske liye kya sources hain? Is the preparation same as civils mains?

If I can club some part of majns prep now?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog