Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Presidential veto powers wrt assent to state Bills

What is/are Presidential veto powers wrt assent to state Bills? Is it absolute veto?
·

Comments

• Apart from qualified veto, the rest are applicable as usual. The only thing is that the president is not obligated to give his/her assent if the bill is resent.
    ·
  • Apart from qualified veto, the rest are applicable as usual. The only thing is that the president is not obligated to give his/her assent if the bill is resent.

So does that means President can keep Bill with him for eternity, or may send it back as many times as he deems fit????

Also.. Indian President does not have power of qualified veto. US President exercises that. So qualified veto isn't in picture here

·
  • What is/are Presidential veto powers wrt assent to state Bills? Is it absolute veto?

Yes it is absolute veto. The President can return a bill, other than a Money Bill, for reconsideration. The State Legislature may pass it again, but even then it is not obligatory for the President to assent.
    ·

So does that means President can keep Bill with him for eternity, or may send it back as many times as he deems fit????

Also.. Indian President does not have power of qualified veto. US President exercises that. So qualified veto isn't in picture here

Yes, that is precisely what I said.
    1. Qualified veto is not applicable.
    2. So does that means President can keep Bill with him for eternity?
    Yes. I guess Sarkaria or Punchi commission (don't remember exactly which one was it) had recommended for a timeline within which the President has to respond as the States were complaining that this was being used as a tool to delay State legislatures in the states which are not on the good books of the center. However, it has not been accepted I guess.
    3. Can he send it back as many times as he deems fit?
    In case of ordinary bill, I am not sure but as far as I know, my answer is NO. He can either say Yes, No, or put it in cold storage. Back & forth multiple times is something I have not heard of :) If its a money bill the procedure is same as that of a central govt. money bill. Either he says a Yes or a No.
    ·
  • What happened in Gujarat anti-terror bill? Was it resent multiple times?
    ·
  • vignesh said:

What happened in Gujarat anti-terror bill? Was it resent multiple times?

Oh Yes, I missed that.This is a good example. I was under the impression that it was rejected but if it was indeed resent multiple times then I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction. :)
    ·

Yes, that is precisely what I said.
    1. Qualified veto is not applicable.
    2. So does that means President can keep Bill with him for eternity?
    Yes. I guess Sarkaria or Punchi commission (don't remember exactly which one was it) had recommended for a timeline within which the President has to respond as the States were complaining that this was being used as a tool to delay State legislatures in the states which are not on the good books of the center. However, it has not been accepted I guess.
    3. Can he send it back as many times as he deems fit?
    In case of ordinary bill, I am not sure but as far as I know, my answer is NO. He can either say Yes, No, or put it in cold storage. Back & forth multiple times is something I have not heard of :) If its a money bill the procedure is same as that of a central govt. money bill. Either he says a Yes or a No.
    :smile: shukriyaaa
    ·
  • http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/third-president-to-return-bill-pranab-has-queries-gujarat-anti-terror-bill-sent-back/

It's clearly given here. This bill has now been sent back to State govt 3 times once each by Kalam, Pratibha and Pranab.
    ·
  • edited June 2016
    ·
  • Can somebody please explain the recent constitutional crisis in Arunachal ?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog