ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Strategy for working professionals

edited July 2013 in Preparation FAQs
As a working guy myself i can feel the effort & pain required in preparing for CS while being in a job .
So,
Those of you working in a job & cleared any stage of exam do share your strategy from GS to Optional,
your time management & other difficulties you faced along the path .
It will be quite helpful for those of us in a job & want to prepare for CS .Also i think the added pressures of worklife makes the strategy involved a little different .
So please share your plans that you have followed .
The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
·

Comments

• As no working professional here is willing to discuss his plans ... Moderators can close this thread ..:-(
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
    ·
  • Hii @LuV I am also on same condition as you working in a manufacturing sector major as O&M Engineer. And Preparing along with job is quite difficult for me as i am unable to maintain a particular time schedule due to my shifts duty. But am preparing steadily and slowly. Have written pre this time only. Lets see how the result may be. But we have to make our own strategy for preparation. But what i understood is preparing on job will be easy if you are in public sector or government job. Beaing a private employee is quite a hindrance. But its once perspective and work environment . Also if you in software and on bench would be easy for you but again full proof strategy is required. Like Optional selection and then resources compilation for GS and Optional is major job. Also i am finding quite hard to follow daily newspaper also , so u can understand my condition.

You can tell more about your work ex and stage of preparation. Happy studying.
    ·
  • @rohit21
    Its nice to hear from someone in a same situation as i am ...
    Well its hard to prepare while in job & even harder if in a private job that too in shifts .
    Transfers while in a private job hampers your preparation the most .
    Nevertheless, as you have given attempt this year i wish you all the luck .
    I started off,well where everyone starts i think with an aim to become an IAS and having not a single clue how to do this mammoth task.
    I started with developing my own strategy .I took cues from other participants' experinces which they.shared online & a 125 page pdf created by yesteryears IAS' themselves & updated till 2013.
    That is my guiding beacon in my preparations.
    I will start with GS-3,2,1,4 resp. in that order .My plan is to finish atleast once till jan the entire GS portion & my optional (if its possible-ideal case) & will keep modifying as per my needs.
    As far is newspaper is concerned , as i was posted in a remote area, so Hindu was not available there therefore have subscribed to an online Edition till august.I download daily edition & try to complete it religiously.What i do is segregate news into 5 categories .... National ,International,Editorials,Economy & Science & Tech sections.
    I write news under these separate sections category-wise.
    Yup i'll admit its hard to read each item & den segregate them & over that i have to do it from my Samsung galaxy s2(a very tiring process for eyes).
    Now i am trying to do that while on job & copying it under separare headings as i head back to my room.
    Although i have a plan but deep in my subconscious a fear lingers as to how i will be able to cover such a huge syllabus till jan considering time constraints due to job & then there are downtimes when you dont like to study at all & have to literally fight it out to sit in a place in front of a book.
    I hope you can give me some pointers as to how you were able to complete the syllabus & had any such doubts regarding finishing syllabus on time or not ?
    Also, i am in a habit of going ina little deep of the things to understand them & i fear as to my this habit might hinder my prep as time is a major issue for us working people.

PS: please dont mind the length of the post ...
    :-)
    ·
  • Also as i write this i am currently in night shift & trying to finish reading today's newspaper.
    ·
  • @LuV good that at least you are religiously following everyday news. Mire than half of ur job is done as upsc has moved from static to dynamic ques. I am barely reading news papers. And i am a novice so this is first time i am reading anything related to upsc mains. How are you getting time in shifts is there no work pressure at all.
    ·
  • Once i covered enough portion will be able to share my strategy till then u should develop urs. And pre result will decide my future now.
    ·
  • I was recently transferred at sikandrabad near delhi.
    Since this is a Grinding Unit so work pressure is almost negligible & plant is also of very small capacity.
    Moreover in my previous plant site (which was a full fledged plant ) i couldnt get time.
    I got lucky this time i think.
    I wish you all d best for Prelims.
    Did you prepare for prelim separately or followed an integrated approach ?
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    Guys,

I can share my experience. I was working during my First attempt. Cleared prelims. Missed the interview bus because of my bad PubAd scrore. This year, I resigned my job after prelims.

I hope this may be of some help for you guys for making a schedule.

My work schedule : 8-6.

Early morning 4am to 6am
    : Best time to Read.

7-8 am : I used to travel for 1 hour. Used that time for completing newspaper. I marked important articles and took notes after 8am in the office.

Galaxy Tab : The best thing i bought using my salary :) Used that effectively for reading all CA related sites. (Gktoday, PIB,etc;)

6-7/8 (Traffic) : Again travel. I used to revise some books. Often ended up watching BBT to relax myself in between.

After 8pm. I used to read from 9-11. Sometimes extended till 1/2. sometimes till 10. But always studied as much as possible.

So, this way I made at least 5 hours for studying (other than newspapers and CA).
    It worked very well for me.

Saturdays and sundays
    : No excuses. Full time :)>-

Tools : One note (available in all windows system). Some android Apps like Packet, Note taking software.

Negatives: My eye power got increased (Actually doubled :-B may be because of straining my eyes by reading in bus/train ) . That one year was very hectic. But I'm very much satisfied with my performance.

Positives ?
    Yes :)

You'll find the value of each and every minute when you are working and preparing. Try to read as much as possible. Keep this in mind. There are people who can prepare for 10 hours a day even. So, Never waste your time.

I quit my job because the job timings got changed (12 hours !!)

Enjoy Reading. Success shall be yours :)

Cheers.
    2013 - Indian Forest Service

2016 - In the battle!
    ·
  • @luv completely agree wid u bro.....working and prepearing for civils simultaneously is a very difficult task..,,, m having difficulty myself despite being in a comparatively easy job.....I manage 3 hrs max during d weekdays n little more on weekends.....I ve written mains last yr n I think its more imp to understand topics in detail than to mug up details....so watever we study we ve to think alot..even if d course covered is not asmuch as we would want.....
    ·
  • @DrSheldon
    Well congrats for clearing the first hurdle & better luck next time.I am sure your first attempt has left you with loads of experience & will help you certainly in your future attempts.
    In one thing you are right while in job one need to take care of each & every minute but this pressure of not wasting time can sometimes work in our favour too as one tends to waste more time if he has got more of it.
    My ques is still same ... Did you followed an integrated approach or prepared separtely for prelims altogether ?
    As you have cleared the first hurdle you can share tips for prelims also ?
    What was your other optional besides PubAd?
    I am also concerned regarding in how much depth one needs to cover a topic ?
    In some forums they say to have atleast 4-5 page answer for each topic & on the other they say that a topic need not be covered in a research oriented way .Well if i am making 4-5 page notes for a topic isnt that a research oriented prep in itself ?
    ·
  • @chanakyapupil
    Congrats bro for clearing prelims,as it confirms that you are seriously preparing for this exam.
    Yup ... preparing simultaneously is tough but hey!! if even one person in this country can do it whilw on job (which they have done many times as results show), we can too .
    Many fulltimers fail to clear the first hurdle (no disrespect intended for them)& the very fact that you have done so while in job shows that you have the capability.
    ·
  • @luv:
    My point is when you're working you cant find much time. So no point in having more time and wasting it :)

I followed separate approach last year. It is a bad approach :) . If you are 2014 aspirant. Do follow integrated approach.

My other optional was Geography.

Depth. You should be able to inter link topics and should be able to answer even specific questions. I dint follow (4-5 page notes). May be this year i will follow 1 page hints for each and every topic. Frankly speaking i dint get enough time to make notes last year :) It was very fast. But note making is very much needed and it'll help you a lot :) Keep doing.

Cheers
    2013 - Indian Forest Service

2016 - In the battle!
    ·
  • @Dr Sheldon
    Hmm ... interlinking topics .can you sight an example for this to demonstrate how interlinking matters in CS Exam?

On a lighter note :-)
    What are you doing still up in the middle of the night ?:-)
    ·
  • hmmm............ working professional. extra effort, extra tension, extra anxiety, extra pressure................ we are indeed a dying breed!......... i am a high school teacher of geography and found it tough on my first attempt (2012).......... though i cleared the prelims, but, due to want of time could not clear the mains. took 1 month without pay leave, it didn't help... this year , the same story continues of ''want of time'' but determined to crack the mains... let's see. wish you all ''extra'' luck friends..
    ·
  • @trulysid
    Dying but not extinct .
    Still fighting it out arent we !!!
    Thats what matters.It may take longer but we will make it .
    Would like to add an excerpt :

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who
    points out how the strong man stumbles, or
    where the doer of deeds could have done them
    better. The credit belongs to the man who is
    actually in the arena, whose face is marred by
    dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly;
    who errs, who comes short again and again,
    because there is no effort without error and
    shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do
    the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the
    great devotions; who spends himself in a
    worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the
    triumph of high achievement, and who at the
    worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring
    greatly, so that his place shall never be with
    those cold and timid souls who neither know
    victory nor defeat.
    ·
  • me too working and preparing for cse...i normally get 4 hours on weekdays for studies which looks fine at the moment...not sure if and when i should consider taking a break from the job (sabbatical can be an option)..enjoy the journey guys !!
    ·
  • @singha
    Sabbatical is not a possibility for me.
    Just continue your prep with zeal ,doors will open for only those who care to look for the key ..:-)
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    I am also working and preparing..I usually study for 3 hours on weekdays and weekends for around 5 hours...2014 will be my first attempt.

I am preparing since one year but couldnt take the exam this year as syllabus got changed and also I had some visa issues (I am Not in india).

In office if you have access to computer, complete the newspaper part, PIB, study any notes if you have pdfs(these days many books are in pdf format). Study all those pdfs at office. Sorry to say, but you have to exploit office time, resources..

Listen to radio while travelling. I got all the AIR news recorded and copied to my phone and listening to those while travelling to office...

·
  • @chisri
    Well the office resources need to be exploited for a greater good here :-)
    Even i have an AIR app on my phone & listen to its news.Depending on shifts i squeeze around 4-5 hrs daily.On weekends i can easily carve out 10-11 hrs.
    Bring abroad & prep is itself a challenge.
    I wish you luck mate ...
    ·
  • Its nice to read experiences here. here is my story:
    Last yr was my first attempt. I cleared prelim, missed interview call. Just like @DrSheldon, I had pub ad, geo and a Samsung Tab from my own salary money. I too read on the buses, on the trains and elsewhere! Only difference from @DrSheldon is that I still have the same eye power :) (I should have read more!)

I enjoyed my preparation. And the saga still continues. I am still working, preparing. Prelim was easy this yr, no issues will get call for mains but, got no leaves left in my bucket and do not know how am I going to manage 2-3 months of full studies. Planning to fake the jaundice this yr. Can't make my relative die each year! :D

For all working professionals, here is the moral booster: the work drives our studies and for full time guys, they are the ones who actually face the anxiety.

Weakpoints in last yr prep:
    Got no time to write answers. And I am still pathetically poor in this domain. Now working hard on this front.

Manager's here, gotta go!
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google