ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

Doubt regarding President's response to constitutional amendment bill

Guys , I have a doubt regarding possible action President can take over constitutional amendment bill
Can President return the constitutional amendment bill for reconsideration of Parliament once ?? Or he must give assent in the first instance ??
The laxmikanth gives contradictory statements at two different stances

In Chapter 10 , Amendment of the constitution , it says -
The president must give his assent to the bill. He can neither withhold his assent to the bill nor return the bill for reconsideration of the Parliament. (Since 24th Constitutional amendment act)

In chapter 17 , President , it says -
(i) When a bill is sent to the President after it has been passed by the Parliament, he can:
(i) give his assent to the bill, or
(ii) withhold his assent to the bill, or
(iii) return the bill (if it is not a money bill) for reconsideration of the Parliament.
However, if the bill is passed again by the Parliament, with or without amendments, the President has to give his assent to the bill.

I searched on google as well. Some links say that president can not return the bill for reconsideration
http://www.kalyansir.net/2014/01/amendment-of-indian-constitution.html

Comments

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog