MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Interview with CSE-2015 RANK 91: Rakesh Kumar Minhas

edited May 2016 in Featured
Hello Everyone,
We have conducted an interview with Rakesh Kumar Minhas who has secured Rank 91 in the Civil Services Examination, 2015.
He has been associated with forumias since the last 2 years and has been an active participant throughout. His ForumIAS username is @docforifs.

We congratulate him once again and wish him all the best for his life as an officer :)

The link for the interviews transcript is given below:
http://forumias.com/portal/interview-with-cse-2015-rank-91-rakesh-kumar-minhas/

We hope this interview would be helpful for all the future aspirants.

P.S: You can also tag him on the forum and ask him questions relating to exam preparation, experience and strategy.

Comments

• Seems like a great initiative. It will be immensely helpful for us.
  • Waiting. Thank u forumias :)
  • @docforifs
    Congrats .
    Do elaborate on medical science strategy that you followed :)
  • @docforifs Hi sir.I have an off topic doubt for which i could have made a thread but then thought of taking advice from you,because i believe that apart from CSE ,you would have seen the inside-out of some other exams too.
    I had an engineering optional for cse,in which i have been scoring fairly good.But now i have a doubt in carrying on with the same optional in up pcs.

I don't know why,but i have this strong feeling that the faculty panel employed by the state pcs (for evaluating engg. Optionals) wouldn't be as competent as their UPSC counterparts.

This might result in (their )misunderstanding my approach towards problems or numericals in some crucial questions,which would cost me heavily.
    I hope, i have been able to put my doubt clearly .

I really want your views on this .is it a genuine doubt or something which my stressed mind has made up,because it does not want to lose anything further.
    For if it is genuine in your view too,i would prefer taking up some other optional for up pcs.
    Thankyou sir,for bearing up with such a long post. May God be with you,always.Bye.
  • @doctorifs please share your Med sc. strategy.
  • @docforifs sir how did you write answers i mean in para or in points. which is more beneficial? did you draw diagrams flowchart etc in GS papers?
    I see you.
  • @docforifs sir please tell the sources for environment and also please tell which programmes videos of rstv are worth watching..
  • @Dr_Strange @Winnie_the_poo
    Strategy and books for medical science :
    The most common myth that any medical graduate has before starting preparation for civil service is what optional to take up and thinking bout the vastness of sylabbus of MS you end up choosing anthropology or any other subject and struggle with it coz it's completely new and unfamiliar .. I through this post want to bust this myth.. For a medical graduate who wants to work hard no other subject can be as rewarding as MS..please consider medical science as your first choice irrespective of whether you have studied seriously during MBBS or not.
    A few golden points everyone should follow , rest every individual is unique and can devise ones own study plan
    1. Stick strictly to the syllabus
    2. Medical science is pretty easy to score..getting 250-280 in the marking pattern of 2014 and 2015 is easily possible for anyone of u if u follow a proper strategy
    3. Make notes as you have to utilise the day off before the optional paper and trust me u can't carry all your medical science books wid u
    Revising notes a day before the exam Would get u atleast 40 marks boost
    4. Please try and stick to the booklist m mentioning below . Don't read sub standard books
    5. Do not leave a full subject like it was advised before as now the questions are mixed
    You might leave a few topics though ..
    BOOK LIST
    Anatomy : chaurasia
    Physiology : ganong and across by saumya shukla for some topics which il mention later
    Biochem: across , no need for any textbook except for the topic vitamins and minerals
    Pathology : Robbins and harsh Mohan
    Micro : anantnarayan or any book u read in mbbs
    Pharma: KDT and Harrison tables
    Forensic : gautam biswas( by far d best and most comprehensive book on this subject for Upsc) if u can't get the book don't worry il give you Xerox copies of full sylabbus in August
    Spm: park
    Surgery : Manipal mostly , stomach (Shwartz)
    Breast( Shwartz)
    S Das for differentials is a must for the topics in sylabbus
    Medicine : Harrisson , make it a point to remember the doses in treatment .. I say Harrisson as its the only book that covers differentials in full detail and gives treatment in flowchart form like Upsc specifically demands these days
    Obs: dutta
    Gynae : shaw
    Paeds: ghai
    Derma : neena khanna

Tips for answer writing :
    I will be sharing model answers with you and my notes too shortly .
    Also a crash course is being planned from 10th - 17th August where I intend to give you notes of every single topic in the syllabus and info about how to write answers and revise better along with a list of probable questions which would help you all..

This is just an informatory post to get every medico who is aspiring for civil services 2016 onwards. I want you all to consider medical science as the best optional for you .
    I have succeeded with MS consistently for 2 years
    and now I want all of you to do better than what I could manage and I want to help all my dear friends ..
    You can get in touch on forumias or Facebook ( Rakesh minhas ) anytime .. Give me some time to reply but reply I definitely will to every single question you bring forward
    Dr Rakesh Kumar Minhas
    MBBS(2007-2013)
    MS( GENERAL SURGERY) 2013-2016
    CSE 2014- rank 645(RPF)
    CSE 2015-rank 91 ( IAS)

• @hellboy24
    Point format is more beneficial I think as it makes reading the answer easy for the examiner.. I followed point format in most of the answers
    Medical science questions where difference was asked I attempted in the traditional style of writing 2 headingd and drawing a line in the middle of the page and then enumerating 5 differences side by side
    I also answered all MS questions asking about treatment of a condition in the form of a flow chart
  • @vikkyanthro environment I followed Shankar Ias book and 12th class biology NCERT 4 chapters on environment
    Big picture and Indias world on RSTV are very informative and help to form opinions on topics in news
  • @docforifs Did you join any coaching for GS? If yes, which one and how did it help you? Also, tell us about the Test Series for GS and how to extract maximum out of Test Series and coaching.
  • @ashishwinstonzaidi
    This is not the relevant thread but still I would say that do not underestimate the faculty of state pcs.. Those exams r evaluated by a highly esteemed faculty too so you should prepare your optional well and opt for the same in both state and upsc as it would benefit you .
    Good luck buddy
  • Crash course , as in? :o
  • @docforifs thankyou so much for the advice sir.good luck to you too.bye.
  • @docforifs : strategy fir ethics....nt able to score despite wrking on it...
  • @sandeep_singh no specific coaching as such but vajiram class notes do help especially economics
    Rest you can prepare on your own as the questions would be analytical and based on events in news over the past year mostly
    I had enrolled for synergy test series and attempted 5 tests. It did help me to manage time better but was of not much help in predicting questions
    I did vision test papers too and found them of very high quality and closest to Upsc as it can get
  • @Winnie_the_poo my only motive is that you should have notes of every topic in the sylabbus in hand so that over the next 3 months before mains u just revise then again and again like ppl with other optionals do
    I faced a lot of difficulty as I had to refer to textbooks time and again to revise topics and you know how light books like Harrison and Bailey are
  • docforifs said:

@Winnie_the_poo my only motive is that you should have notes of every topic in the sylabbus in hand so that over the next 3 months before mains u just revise then again and again like ppl with other optionals do
    I faced a lot of difficulty as I had to refer to textbooks time and again to revise topics and you know how light books like Harrison and Bailey are

OK. Thank you.
    Looking forward for your notes. :smile:
    Gd luck for the new phase in life. :+1:
  • A spiral bound notebook of 400-500 pages with every topic in the sylabbus in a chronological order..
    It would be done if a majority of people think it would be helpful
    So lemme know guys how it sounds ?
  • @docforifs .....Congrats brother for your achievement

Please tell us whether you wrote answers with a pre conceived structure (intro, body, conclusion ) or directly wrote main points

Also.. What about ethics?. ...kaise tame Kare isse?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • @MASURATU @MD47
    Hit the question directly and answer to the point
    Answering with a pre conceived notion would not work in a race against time that mains is.
    In ethics be truthful and use terminology relevant to an ethics exam and not an English exam.
    Lexicon is a good book where u can find such terminology
    Use teachings of famous personalities to support ur stand , this gives greater logic to your answers
    Before answering any case study always first give an introduction about the kind of dilemma that the study presents and then enumerate the probable solutions with pros and cons
    Manage time well in the exam
    What I did was that I counted the total number of questions before starting and then you can calculate the time per question so that you are not hard pressed at the end
  • @docforifs ...Thanks brother
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • @docforifs what questions did the interviewer ask you regarding ifs and what was your reply in brief.
  • docforifs said:

A spiral bound notebook of 400-500 pages with every topic in the syllabus in a chronological order..
    It would be done if a majority of people think it would be helpful
    So lemme know guys how it sounds ?

that will be a major help. please share it here or on flavido. thanks
  • @doctorifs Congrats sir and thanks a lot for ur help...

sir, rightnw i m in 3rd prof and i wanna join civil service . How should i proceed to balance both my mbbs xam nd c.s. and have edge over others?

also, plz let us knw, how can we get ur notes nd model ans and when?

thanx again...
  • docforifs said:

@Dr_Strange @Winnie_the_poo
    Strategy and books for medical science :
    The most common myth that any medical graduate has before starting preparation for civil service is what optional to take up and thinking bout the vastness of sylabbus of MS you end up choosing anthropology or any other subject and struggle with it coz it's completely new and unfamiliar .. I through this post want to bust this myth.. For a medical graduate who wants to work hard no other subject can be as rewarding as MS..please consider medical science as your first choice irrespective of whether you have studied seriously during MBBS or not.
    A few golden points everyone should follow , rest every individual is unique and can devise ones own study plan
    1. Stick strictly to the syllabus
    2. Medical science is pretty easy to score..getting 250-280 in the marking pattern of 2014 and 2015 is easily possible for anyone of u if u follow a proper strategy
    3. Make notes as you have to utilise the day off before the optional paper and trust me u can't carry all your medical science books wid u
    Revising notes a day before the exam Would get u atleast 40 marks boost
    4. Please try and stick to the booklist m mentioning below . Don't read sub standard books
    5. Do not leave a full subject like it was advised before as now the questions are mixed
    You might leave a few topics though ..
    BOOK LIST
    Anatomy : chaurasia
    Physiology : ganong and across by saumya shukla for some topics which il mention later
    Biochem: across , no need for any textbook except for the topic vitamins and minerals
    Pathology : Robbins and harsh Mohan
    Micro : anantnarayan or any book u read in mbbs
    Pharma: KDT and Harrison tables
    Forensic : gautam biswas( by far d best and most comprehensive book on this subject for Upsc) if u can't get the book don't worry il give you Xerox copies of full sylabbus in August
    Spm: park
    Surgery : Manipal mostly , stomach (Shwartz)
    Breast( Shwartz)
    S Das for differentials is a must for the topics in sylabbus
    Medicine : Harrisson , make it a point to remember the doses in treatment .. I say Harrisson as its the only book that covers differentials in full detail and gives treatment in flowchart form like Upsc specifically demands these days
    Obs: dutta
    Gynae : shaw
    Paeds: ghai
    Derma : neena khanna

Tips for answer writing :
    I will be sharing model answers with you and my notes too shortly .
    Also a crash course is being planned from 10th - 17th August where I intend to give you notes of every single topic in the syllabus and info about how to write answers and revise better along with a list of probable questions which would help you all..

This is just an informatory post to get every medico who is aspiring for civil services 2016 onwards. I want you all to consider medical science as the best optional for you .
    I have succeeded with MS consistently for 2 years
    and now I want all of you to do better than what I could manage and I want to help all my dear friends ..
    You can get in touch on forumias or Facebook ( Rakesh minhas ) anytime .. Give me some time to reply but reply I definitely will to every single question you bring forward
    Dr Rakesh Kumar Minhas
    MBBS(2007-2013)
    MS( GENERAL SURGERY) 2013-2016
    CSE 2014- rank 645(RPF)
    CSE 2015-rank 91 ( IAS)

God Bless. ATB for your next innings as an IAS.
  • @docforifs sir please tell ur strategy about world geography portion and factors for location
  • @vikkyanthro for world geography
    1. Industrial revolution, world wars , unifications , eastern question : L Mukherjee is the best n most comprehensive book which takes care of analytical ques like similarity and dissimilarity bw Cavour and Bismark
    2. For post world war 2: normal Lowe old edition.. Il check n tell again but the book with nelson Mandela on cover , ed 3 I think
    These sources would take care of world history
    For factors of location there is no specific source but mrunal has a good compilation and I followerd that .NCERT was of no help for this topic
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog