43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Essay top scoreres - plz share marks and strategy

edited May 2016 in Essay
Hi,

All those who got 125+ plz share ur marks and strategy( if any)

Test series attended which helped
Last year marks ifthe prrformance is consistent or some change in strtegy brought sudden change?

Plz share
·

Comments

• aatharva said:

@aatharva can you share some pdf of your essays??
    ·
  • 129... No test series joined...
    Chose character leadership and dreams that dont let india sleep...Wrote recent examples in the first one and post independence india (ncert) in the second one...
    ·
  • edited May 2016
    Bandit said:

129... No test series joined...
    Chose character leadership and dreams that dont let india sleep...Wrote recent examples in the first one and post independence india (ncert) in the second one...

134 in 2015 and 130 in 2013
    ·
  • Bandit said:

129... No test series joined...

134 in 2015
    and 130 in 2013
    ·
    Education and dreams
    ·
  • 126, dint joined any test series
    just read essays from forumias shared by members :D :D and just mann ki baat. No fancy language.
    ·
  • didnt join any test series as it was no possible for me to join bc of service constraints..
    last year score 125 hence preety comfrbl..
    ·
    Lending-doles
    Dreams that shouldn't let India sleep

both essays laced with phrases and flowery language that i prepared especially for essays. practised and memorised few examples and copy-pasted them according to context. highlighted main points.

although i feel that 2-3 points of first essay got repeated in second essay (coz of above strategy). i changed words for sure but may be some repetition crept in.

time well managed coz of good practice beforehand with a friend. we wrote about 10 essays together and sent it to each other as well as our non-upsc friends to give us feedback on flow of essay (since they won't appreciate our gobbledygook all that much :tongue: )

P.S.: 2014 Mains Essay score - 140
    Discovery.
    ·
  • any one more than 141.....
    please share marks...
    ·

this time essay has been leniently rewarded it seems IMHO
    Mood bohot kharab hai kya kare
    Prelims -2 Mains-2 Interview - 0
    ·
    1) technology manpower wala aur 2) education without values... devil wala likha tha
    total 4 quote daal diye the J nehru or APJ ke aur random quotes
    thik thak conclude kar liya tha
    kaafi dimensions khole the... specifically spiritual dimesion that 'man is the ultimate technology in this entire cosmos', etc etc
    ·
    1) Doles waala essay
    2)Capitalism

Tried to present ideas in a structured way. Peppered the entire essay with quotes, very few stats and a healthy dose of personal anecdotes relevant to the topic. I tried to deliberately stay away from making the essay complex and tried my best to keep things simple for the examiner.
    ·
  • very good score buddy...m
    ·
  • You people are inspiring me to do better,. thanks!!
    @kuldeep429 any site you refered for quotes regularly??
    ·
  • Plsss guys suggest some strategy for essay.,good sources as well...I m not able to make good marks in essay...just 105 :s
    ·
  • edited May 2016
    ciya said:

Plsss guys suggest some strategy for essay.,good sources as well...I m not able to make good marks in essay...just 105 :s

@ciya Dont be sad I know people who scored a rank in 800s but could score only 62 in essay,.
    PS his last year marks in essay were 142
    Just keep going.,keep on writing a thoughtful and informative essay
    A proof of a good essay is you must feel your own essay interesting, logical,broadbased, arguementative and visionary after 10 days!!

·
  • csm2014: 149
    csm2015: 132

There is no single approach to essay writing.
    Just keep in mind some points:
    1) Correct inteepretation of topic
    2)Simple language
    3)Highlight issues+solutions for the same
    4)Try to expand it to as many relevant fields as posssible
    5)Pepper it with examples, quotes and stats (wherever there is scope)
    6) Conclusion should be done keeping in view the spirit of your whole essay

Hope this helps.
    ·
    1) Doles waala essay
    2)Capitalism

Tried to present ideas in a structured way. Peppered the entire essay with quotes, very few stats and a healthy dose of personal anecdotes relevant to the topic. I tried to deliberately stay away from making the essay complex and tried my best to keep things simple for the examiner.

Great ...how to use personal anecdotes??
    ·
  • asique143 said:

1) Doles waala essay
    2)Capitalism

Great ...how to use personal anecdotes??
    Can we write in the essay our personal examples??
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google