ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

economics optional for csm

Those who have opted for economics optional in csm 2016, let's discuss on strategy.and preparations on this hitherto untouched subject.
·

Comments

• Econ guys seem to be absconding
    ·
  • kgips said:

Econ guys seem to be absconding

Atleast you should share your strategy for this year. Are you sticking with economics or planning to drop it.
    ·
  • I am sticking to Eco ... @akashpradhan88 @kgips what's your plan??
    Most Eco aspirants are silent observers on this forum!!
    ·
  • Can we please form a Telegram or whatsapp group for answer writing and discussions. Will be of great help. :smile:
    ·
  • No one is there to share their strategy who have cleared with ECo
    ·
  • Hi everyone, I got rank 38 this year with Eco optional (marks: Eco 01: 143, Eco 02: 119). I'm working on a blog that I hope to post within the next ten days or so, and I'll also put up all my GS and Econ notes. I haven't been posting on forumias, but I've been a silent spectator for all of last year while I was preparing.

There's a gmail group (econsiasprep@googlegroups.com) of people with economics optional for CSE. I found it really helpful during my prep. Please feel free to join.
    ·
  • Hi everyone, I got rank 38 this year with Eco optional (marks: Eco 01: 143, Eco 02: 119). I'm working on a blog that I hope to post within the next ten days or so, and I'll also put up all my GS and Econ notes. I haven't been posting on forumias, but I've been a silent spectator for all of last year while I was preparing.

There's a gmail group (econsiasprep@googlegroups.com) of people with economics optional for CSE. I found it really helpful during my prep. Please feel free to join.

Thanks @manyupotter123.. Looking forward to ur blog.. In the meantime kindly share your book list if you have time.
    ·
  • @manyupotter123 ARE U ENGINEER OR SOMEBODY WITH ECONOMICS BACKGROUND
    ·
  • I have a BA and a Master's degree in Economics.
    ·
  • @akashpradhan88 , I am working on a blog, and I should be able to post it within the next week or so.
    ·

Thanks for the initiative. Could you also throw some light on how you prepared for the mains w.r.t answer writing practice. Did you join any test series? If Yes Where (and its quality and other issues). Also if you did not join test series, how did you get your answers reviewed?

I am an engineering graduate (Computer Science) and have opted for Economics optional with 2016 being my second attempt.
    Any focus areas that you would like to point towards?
    Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit
    ·
  • @CodenameNeo I unfortunately don't have sample answers- a lot of people have been asking me for these, but I started preparing for CSE only in January 2015, so I was always racing against time. I tried to finish GS very well before the prelims, and I hence focused on economics (esp. Paper 1) only after August (because of my economics background, I guessed that should be okay). This meant that I never had enough time to practise writing answers- what I did do, however, was to attempt each and every question asked in CSE from around 1995 onwards. But my focus was on determining whether or not I could answer the question asked, rather than actually writing down the answers. It's a fine distinction, but this meant that instead of writing down complete answers, I was usually drawing diagrams/ revising relevant assumptions and models etc. for paper 1, and writing rough bullet points for paper 2. I did this haphazardly, so these won't be much use.
    ·
  • Hello everyone,
    I know this ain't relevant as to Eco optional ,but i had a small query.
    As regards, Eco. for GS, i wanted to refer some coaching notes.
    So,which one will be better?
    "Sriram's Eco. notes" or " Pavan Kumar's"

TIA.
    Next item on the bucket list:- "UPSC 2017"
    ·
  • Hey Guys,
    I have taken economics for my optionals as well. I believe we should help out each other since its a difficult optional which is not popular amongst civil services aspirants. We can form a whatsapp group if all agree.

·
  • things that really bother me are public finance; sen's social welfare function and arrow's impossibility theorem; can u plz refer good src for these.
    another topic of concern is how to get a good score in paper 2. i mean writing generic stuff doesn't fetch good marks. should i try to connect it with the thoery from paper1
    ·
  • @CodenameNeo I unfortunately don't have sample answers- a lot of people have been asking me for these, but I started preparing for CSE only in January 2015, so I was always racing against time. I tried to finish GS very well before the prelims, and I hence focused on economics (esp. Paper 1) only after August (because of my economics background, I guessed that should be okay). This meant that I never had enough time to practise writing answers- what I did do, however, was to attempt each and every question asked in CSE from around 1995 onwards. But my focus was on determining whether or not I could answer the question asked, rather than actually writing down the answers. It's a fine distinction, but this meant that instead of writing down complete answers, I was usually drawing diagrams/ revising relevant assumptions and models etc. for paper 1, and writing rough bullet points for paper 2. I did this haphazardly, so these won't be much use.

Thank you for the detailing. Could you also throw some light on your reading sources for paper 2 ? Do you have any iidea if M.A Eco. modules from ignou could suffice for the same ?
    ·
  • @CodenameNeo I've never seen IGNOU modules, so can't speak to their usefulness. The general rule of thumb is to not spread yourself too thin, in that you should stick closely to the syllabus. There's no short answer to the reading list for paper 2; please wait for 3-4 days, I'll put down all that I can topic-wise on the blog, and share a link here.
    ·
  • Thank you @manyupotter123 . Your blog post is eagerly awaited.
    ·
  • congratulations Abhimanyu for your grand success,,,
    plz helf aspirants with economics optional with your guidance as very less info available about this optional in forum or anywhere,,,
    plz guide about the strategy and material which could be best as your score in eco is really good, congrats once again

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google