Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Strategy for geography - High scoring students please share your strategy .

This is a humble request to geography optional people , please share the strategy you guys followed to score high marks in mains .
1 please share your marks in previous attempts
2 share your strategy along with it .
·

Comments

• sabfixhai said:

This is a humble request to geography optional people , please share the strategy you guys followed to score high marks in mains .

:D ye eklauta subject h jiske lye koi strategy share nahi karta h forum par..aur final list me naam dekhna bhar kar nikalenge Geog se.. ;)
    ·
  • sabfixhai said:

:D ye eklauta subject h jiske lye koi strategy share nahi karta h forum par..aur final list me naam dekhna bhar kar nikalenge Geog se.. ;)
    sahi keh rahe ho..
    strategy share bhi hogi to itni generic hogi ki lagta hai ye sab to mujhe bhi pata hai .. lol

·
  • This link may be helpful, if you haven't come across it yet.

http://mrunal.org/2012/05/strategy-geography-mains-booklist-study.html

Read this user's comments. She had shared her strategy last year.

http://discuss.forumias.com/profile/27859/Shruti812
    ·

u too have geo optional :o
    aap Telegram wale @RajanRaghuram ho kya?
    ·
  • Use 11 12 ncert's ....then some coaching notes....read majid hussain (available on xaam) selected chapters.

See paper's and while reading geography news in current use atlas and static theory to complete your topic.

Thats all.
    That's the difference between you and me,you wanna lose small and I wanna win big!!!
    ·

No. I don't use Telegram or Whatsapp.
    ·
  • Use 11 12 ncert's ....then some coaching notes....read majid hussain (available on xaam) selected chapters.

See paper's and while reading geography news in current use atlas and static theory to complete your topic.

Thats all.

thanks bhai... ye sab to me kiya hu .. 3 mains de chuka hu geography se .. saala numbers me sudhaar nahi ho raha hai...
    ·
  • sabfixhai said:

Use 11 12 ncert's ....then some coaching notes....read majid hussain (available on xaam) selected chapters.

Thats all.

thanks bhai... ye sab to me kiya hu .. 3 mains de chuka hu geography se .. saala numbers me sudhaar nahi ho raha hai...

Brother did you practice answer writing? If yes how many papers?
    ·

No. I don't use Telegram or Whatsapp.
    He works in RBI as its Governor already. Why will he work in some stupid chatting app :D @Inspector_Steel :D
    :D :D ha ha I know but unke din pure hone wale h islye to aajkal UPSC ki tyari kar rahe hain wo.. :#
    btw Telegram group me bhi ek Rajan Raghuram karke tha koi he was having geo optional ..same user name,same optional doubt hona jayaz tha..thats why the confusion.. :p
    ·
  • I had 267 marks in 2014
    111 in Paper I and 156 in Paper II

I had read so many books and practiced a lot
    ·

wow u got good marks.. :o
    what happened this year? how did ur paper go?

what stopped u making into final list in 2014 ?
    ·

please throw some light on the strategy .
    i have read the following books -
    1 savinder
    2 majid hussain - models
    3majid hussain - human geo
    4 rupa 1-2
    5 khullar
    6 ALS study material
    7 test series at neetu singh

should i join shabbir sir's test series .
    what should be the approach for answering in geography

·
  • sabfixhai said:

Use 11 12 ncert's ....then some coaching notes....read majid hussain (available on xaam) selected chapters.

Thats all.

Just this much for mains? few ncerts and selected chapters from majjid husain :open_mouth: ?
    nahi bhai is se kai guna jyaada kiya hai... ye to bhai ne itna batayaa to maine kaha ye to kar chukaa hu

·
  • sabfixhai said:

I had 267 marks in 2014

1 savinder
    2 majid hussain - models
    4 rupa 1-2
    5 khullar
    6 ALS study material

u have covered almost everything..
    Bhai have u ever tried solving previous year question by urself??
    how is ur map practice ..like do u draw maps often for a question or u depend on the content.(less diagrams and maps?)

No there is no need to join..but is a good test series in case u r thinking of joining a test series I would place it above in my choices.
    ·
  • sabfixhai said:

sabfixhai said:

Thats all.

Just this much for mains? few ncerts and selected chapters from majjid husain :open_mouth: ?
    nahi bhai is se kai guna jyaada kiya hai... ye to bhai ne itna batayaa to maine kaha ye to kar chukaa hu

This is for base for studying geo optional. The fort is very big and takes time to conquer.
    That's the difference between you and me,you wanna lose small and I wanna win big!!!
    ·

are ALS notes important? Because many people say you shouldn't replicate class notes answers in exams because many will write the same and your answers will look common,given that many people have geography as their optional in mains.
    ·
  • I had found below blog post appealing. might be useful here.
    https://bhavyamittal.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/geography-optional-tips-for-a-high-score/

·
  • searching for uttarakhand IAs and PCS and reivew officer Study meatrial i am sharing a good website link here . it provide all gk in hindi read geography gk by vyas IAS http://educationmasters.in/ias-pcs-ifs-geography-general-knowledge-in-hindi
    ·

Yaar I got only 49 in GS Paper III and only 157 in Personality Test.

·
  • sabfixhai said:

I had 267 marks in 2014

1 savinder
    2 majid hussain - models
    4 rupa 1-2
    5 khullar
    6 ALS study material

U hv already done enough. But u can also refer

NCERT
    Revise as many times as possible and think as much as u can
    Some chapters of R.C. Tiwari is very worthy
    Make synoptic notes so that u revise n recall things easily. Carry it with u where ever u go and keep glancing on it
    The MOST IMPORTANT thing is -----------write or frame answers to any random geography question. Framing answer helped me more than writing it.
    ·

Sad man!! gs paper 3 me to shockingly low reh gye.,,.better luck next time,.
    Bhai just a week ago i completed Geo thoughts by mazid and I realised halff of the things were repetative and useless only 11 and 12 chapter are essential,.But even then I cant remember most of it,.,
    Which books and which chapters from Kullar and RC tiwari are essential??, I have read RC once,. and it was good,. I dont know whether I need to read some chapters from khullar as well!!!!
    Plus what kind of framing you are suggesting please elaborate with an example
    Thanks, you are the first person who is sharing some strategy.,warna to carrier barbaad lagne laga tha
    ·

Bhai just a week ago i completed Geo thoughts by mazid and I realised halff of the things were repetative and useless only 11 and 12 chapter are essential,.But even then I cant remember most of it,.,
    Which books and which chapters from Kullar and RC tiwari are essential??, I have read RC once,. and it was good,. I dont know whether I need to read some chapters from khullar as well!!!!
    Thanks, you are the first person who is sharing some strategy.,warna to carrier barbaad lagne laga tha
    What I meant by framing answer is explained below.

Take any test paper (eg. Vision IAS for GS and Nertu ma'am for Geo optional) along with MODEL ANSWER.

Pick up questions. Rather than writting full fledged answer just prepare skeletal form of answer by enumerating all points u can collect. Do deep thinking, collect as many points as u can, correlate it with various other streams like Polity, Economy, IR, current events etc and then establish an organic linkage between various parts of ur answer. Now u hv a cogent answer ready. :|

This was just the gist. I hv a lot to say but I can't type that much.

Hope it helps.
    ·
  • 118+106
    Only books no notes
    ·

What I meant by framing answer is explained below.

Take any test paper (eg. Vision IAS for GS and Nertu ma'am for Geo optional) along with MODEL ANSWER.

Pick up questions. Rather than writting full fledged answer just prepare skeletal form of answer by enumerating all points u can collect. Do deep thinking, collect as many points as u can, correlate it with various other streams like Polity, Economy, IR, current events etc and then establish an organic linkage between various parts of ur answer. Now u hv a cogent answer ready. :|

This was just the gist. I hv a lot to say but I can't type that much.

Hope it helps.
    Thank you @shrude_indian ,. That was helpful.,
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog