Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

Coaching for Political Science in Delhi?

edited September 2013 in Coaching & Websites
Please suggest a good coaching institute for Political Science in Delhi?
·

Comments

• edited 3:41AM
    in english medium vajiram and ravi is the best i know...i know one friend who did form there...there is some female teacher....i heard she is good..
    ·
  • asgasg
    edited 3:41AM
    Yes, Shubhra Ranjan ma'am.
    She's good, but if you already know Pol Sci a li'l bit, expensive classes are not required. Procure the notes, and you'll be fine.
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
    ·
    @Crdeori it would be a polite gesture to thank people if you find their contribution useful.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
    Thank you for your advise..
    ·
  • asgasg
    edited 3:41AM
    Hahahaha!!
    @Crdeori you also have to say Sorry Shaktiman. Or Neyawn.
    Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of ïrony
    ·
  • are there any weekend classes for political science in delhi?
    @asg-this subject is new to me and it is difficult for me to join a regular coaching at vajiram, will shubhra maam's notes be enough.
    ·
  • that should suffice. i hv read pol science before choosing pub ad. there is no rocket science involved and its very descriptive.

besides vajiram's shubhra ranjan ma'am gives copious amont of notes ...handwritten..so even her own students are expected to read from that rather than be taught in the class.

it will b a good idea to go and speak yo shubhra ma'am and she may help you even if u cant join her eegular classes
    ·
  • @asg, @422, @ASingh: Just need a little input reg pol sc coaching. I am thinking of moving to Delhi for coaching. Two names (other than Vajiram) that i came across are Apex academy and Dr Kumud Ranjan Singh(Prof Delhi Uni). I have seen printed notes of Apex-too voluminous and wikipedia-ish xerox of everything under the sun. But i don't know about the actual faculty in their class. Any idea? Also, does anyone know if Dr.Kumud Ranjan Singh holds classes?
    CSE2013=cleared 590s. Political Science
    ·
  • @socrates About Kumud Sir
    he used to handle pub ad paper 2 and pol sci optional in Synergy, you can call and check if he still does that.
    If not message me, i ll call him and find out more details
    and regarding his classes
    Pros:
    Very punctual and systematic, to the point lectures and clear concise notes
    Cons:
    He is the Jay Leno of Civils Polity Coaching.
    Completely tows the govt lines.
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
    ·
  • @socrates , you are a wise man :-)
    As for me, I don't have Pol Science optional, but among the people I know who took Pol Sc and got through in final list or appeared for Interview, took classes at Vajiram. There is this Ma'am there and I am told she is good.

Please do evaluate other teachers as well before taking any action, as I said Pol Sc in not my optional.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • @socrates , Faculty in Vaji Ram do have sound knowledge in Political Science , but yes , U need to put effort from your part too . Strategies for Political Science , is been mentioned in another thread , under political science . Kindly go through it .
    "Even Socrates need coaching " :-/
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • @Vibin: I am not looking for classroom coaching per se. I have already given pol sc in 2011 mains. I want to improve upon my existing knowledge base and get good score. Looking for some quality, personal guidance, feedback etc.
    CSE2013=cleared 590s. Political Science
    ·
  • i have heard that ...shubhra ranjan (vajiram) dont teach personally ...and she has somebody else who takes classes....and she takes some important or doubt classes type irregularly????????
    .......please reply....
    ·
  • i have heard that ...shubhra ranjan (vajiram) dont teach personally ...and she has somebody else who takes classes....and she takes some important or doubt classes type irregularly????????
    .......please reply....
    I am student of shubhra ranjan Mam and she takes all the classes (atleast till now. 3 months gone and 1 month remaining )
    ·
  • @mustanglee-

Please write a review of her class.
    CSE Mains-2014 [Political Science & International Relations]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • edited September 2013
    @mustanglee-

Please write a review of her class.
    Month 1 : she would dedicate entire month to Western Political thought and she explains every concept in detail. The best part of this phase is that you would find well compiled analysis .She also works on Answer writing for mains during this period.The advantage of her notes and teaching over books is that in books you would find concept distributed over different segments and chapters whereas she assembles connected parts and philosophy in lectures. To make my point clear an e.g : when she taught us Plato she explained how plato communism differs from Marx. During Lecture on Hobbes , locke and bentham she would compare them and tell us the similarities and difference .

Disadvantage : Her notes are good and sufficient to spend 38K for lectures
    : She teach assuming that the class does not have any basic knowledge about the concepts so one may find classes to be over-detailed and spoon feeding (Though this can be advantagee to non-Pol sc background people)

Month 2 : This period was dedicated to concepts like liberalism , feminism,democracy,equality and justice.
    Mostly the OP Gauba part.
    Advantage : Again the well compiled thing. Eg. In justice she taught about views of different scholars whch is difficult to find in books at one place. Also the analysis is updated till present so she would also touch the changing concept in our times which is difficult to Find in Books.

: Time saving.

Month 3 : International Relations and Indian Political thought

She would get into each and every concept mentioned in syllabus of IR .Since IR is ever-evolving and dynamic field so it's advisable to supplement her lectures and material with daily updates from IDSA site.

Advantage : She explains every concept in IR in detailed manner though it can be boring too

......continues

She also takes up 1 mains question in every class in later part of her course and her answer writing methodology is pretty good
    She is available for student queries inside and outside the class. Student do not leave her even when she is in Auto or rickshaw.You can ask your doubt about the concepts or Answer writing anytime

Overall : Attending her class is a time savior but 38K is a big amount and one can achieve the same thing out of her class notes .So if one can afford 38K ,her classes are good but if one is disciplined in routine ,he/she can achieve the same learning out of her class notes

PS : She also takes crash course (40 hours) which many past students (who did not join her regular course) useful.So alternative strategy can be to get her class notes and go for much cheaper crash course.

Note : My post is calibrated in a way she teaches .Detailed , "Aaram se " .
    ·
  • edited September 2013
    Also she is very student friendly so you can call her on her mobile or meet her personally in vajiram main building.she is normally available after 1:30 pm to 5 pm ( she takes classes from 11 to 1:30 ). Just visit Vajiram anytime and feel free to talk to her. Infact there are many students who are not her classroom course students,prospective students , or Past students who visit her on daily basis for some queries or the other.

·
  • Having her notes and handwritten ones .. [2009-10 edition ] . But yes , had to update IR portions consistently . Theories are very solid in nature . Just gazing through it could easily make you feel that you could relate with day-to-day affairs .

So for political science , I hope she is good . Never heard of any other faculties better than her ..

2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • It means a science background student will be able to handle political science with the help of her notes only. One can afford not to join coaching.
    ·
  • edited September 2013
    @mustanglee -Thank you for the insight. :)
    CSE Mains-2014 [Political Science & International Relations]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain.”
    ·
  • @mustanglee is it worth to buy her notes ....so how can i get notes ??
    CSE 2013 : Revolt
    CSE 2014 : Revolution
    ·
  • How good is it to study Shubra Mam's notes for the GS part - comparision of constitutions. Is it a part of Political Science Optional? And IR? @Vibin @mustanglee
    When they say you can't do it, it definitely means you have to do it!
    ·
  • edited September 2013
    Comparison of Constitutions are not there in PS Optional syllabus anymore. But yes, it was there during PS prelims time . If you could check ignou site , plenty of those constitutional notes are available. @checkmate
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • thanks u very much @mustanglee.....forumias live long as people like u are here....thanks again for detailed reply.......
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog