ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

what is the pattern in UPSC questions nowdays and where is the trend going?

i was solving previous year question and i observed the question paper used to be quite easy(..pardon me but when compared to today,time ) in preCSAT and pre-pre CSAT days.with CSAT(and all engineer party time ) something drastic happened and now the question-type seems to have changed ... certain stereotype of pre-csat days are removed.

-now some questions trend are too easy like school GK (niti aayog one)-- which can be easily be found
while others seems like nowhere to found anywhere and one has to wait for UPSC keys (avanti one)

-where is trend going, what is the aim of UPSC in asking such question with what source?

-(one explanation with what i have is that with CSAT lots and lots of engineer got into (at least in prelim) replacing our goo-old fav BA junta and so the questions were bound to drift away from stereotype to balance the equilibrium in selection process )

-(then there are other events like mass-murdering of Pubad junta and probably geo too -- was that deliberate attempt to balance the equilibrium?)

-everything has reason (this is what being tought in eng).. the massive bump in environment question was not something fell from sky but could be explained as expected outcome of including IFOS

-now UPSC wont say this in exam notification (dudes as coz ifos is included in CSE so i will ask 30 odd question from environment) its left upon oneself to guess before exam ;also now strangely less emphasis on currant affairs (at least in prelim)
so based on recent changing trend where is the unexpected trajectory of UPSC drifting to?

कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है

Comments

• I have cleared Prelims with a very good margin couple of times, so here is what I can say with my experience.

Until 2010, UPSC has focusing a lot on Curremt affairs and then there was a dry spell of Current Affairs for a few years. Then again in past 2 -3 years UPSC has started focusing on Current Affairs.

However, the Current Affairs focus of UPSC has been quite different compared to earlier times. The CA asked now is very easy. IN UPSC Prelims, even earlier the CA questions were easy and straightforward.

But earlier you were required to do a lot of mugging, which I do not see the need for now. CA questions for both Prelims and Mains have become very straightforward. When UPSC does something, it follows the trend for a few years , so this will continue for now.

The Source is simply the Hindu News paper + Anyone Current Affairs Magazine, Try to solve 8 out of 10 CA questions and design your preparation around it. Do not chase the 2 elusive questions - which is a sure shot way of focusing on the wrong things.

The Environment Section weightage has increased after inclusion of IFoS . However, UPSC has occasionally and at will increased weightage of different sections of the syllabus. There was a time when UPSC gave sudden weightage to economy for two years . Then a cycle for Geography and environment folllowed.

Anyway, the way ahead at least for prelims is not very different from the way it used to be.

There are three types of questions in Prelims

1. Questions from static portion found in books - These are must do. Modern Indian History , Polity etc questions are a must do and you are not supposed to miss these. These can be done by reading standard books multiple times.

2. Questions not found in Books but asked more than once. - Questions on topics such as conventions etc are not there in any book, but are asked, You are supposed to make own notes on these so that if a question comes on UNFCC, Stockholm convention etc, you are able to solve it. Until Shankar IAS came with a compilation, these was no single place where you could stock these.

3. Questions not found in any books + not asked previously - Some random questions are going to be there which are extremely factual and you have no way of knowing them unless you were reading something totally unrelated to preparation. Such questions are asked in S & T, Culture etc. While you must solve all past years papers, in the exam hall, you may have to leave those questions.

This is called "letting go". If you have ever been in and out of a relationship, it would make more sense to you.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • I am announcing this thread. This is an important discussion.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • How to improve accuracy in prelims. Should we attempt 95+ as my smal and far friend roman saini tells or should we attempt only that we know
    asli pehalwan ki pehchan akhaade me nahi jindaggi me hove hai
    Taki jab jindaggi tumhe utha k pattak pattak k maar giraye
    To koi aisa daav khelo ki jindaggani chit hojave.
  • The main idea of upsc is to defy coaching centres and weed out rattu totas.This idea is well reflected in the essays ,ethics,optionals and to certain extent in Gs 1 as well.

For prelims the band of erudites who used to prepare the question papers has changed. and the prelims paper of 2015 attests this assertion.

As far as prelims is considered there is marked increase in the number of factual questions which are difficult to answer in exam hall.And even for some questions it was impossible to eliminate options to arrive at conclusion.
    Inference is that both factual and analytical knowledge has become important.

• Krk said:

How to improve accuracy in prelims. Should we attempt 95+ as my smal and far friend roman saini tells or should we attempt only that we know

well i have been experimenting this in test series and till now my conclusion is going for 95+ has in an average given me 2-3 marks extra :)
  • adjusting approaching university exam with CSE 2016?
  • Krk said:

How to improve accuracy in prelims. Should we attempt 95+ as my smal and far friend roman saini tells or should we attempt only that we know

Million dollar question...seniors adress this query.
  • i am taking regular tests of Vajiram but I am not sure whether there is any sink with the new pattern. How to know that the pattern of questions is similar to UPSC.
    Any suggestion on current affairs
  • Accuracy can be improved only by revision.
    I attempted 75-77 both times (2014 and 2015): Got 75 in 2014 with negligible prep (was banking on CSAT) and was getting around 100 in 2015 with okay prep.
    After reading basic books one more time since last prelims, I have been able to score around 90-100 in a few mocks so far. Another iteration will increase the score even more.
    The point is that you need to read the basic books as many times as possible. That is how you'll be able to get those 60 static questions correct. Once those are secure, it doesn't matter if the remaining ones from current affairs and other elusive questions are a zero-sum game. Having revised current affairs, you'll be able to get a few of them correct too.
    65 net correct is achievable provided you know the basic books backwards and you don't lose your cool during those two hours.
    As regards to the number of attempts, there is no magic formula. After you have satisfactorily answered around 50-55 questions, you can start attempting those in which you can eliminate two options. Leave those that you have no clue about, which won't be more than 10-12 for those who have prepared seriously.

This is what I have experienced. Don't know about others. :)

I had to recheck the username of your post to see if I posted this. Too similar a experience man :)
    History Optional
    "Let the fear find you again "
    I attempted 75-77 both times (2014 and 2015): Got 75 in 2014 with negligible prep (was banking on CSAT) and was getting around 100 in 2015 with okay prep.
    After reading basic books one more time since last prelims, I have been able to score around 90-100 in a few mocks so far. Another iteration will increase the score even more.
    The point is that you need to read the basic books as many times as possible. That is how you'll be able to get those 60 static questions correct. Once those are secure, it doesn't matter if the remaining ones from current affairs and other elusive questions are a zero-sum game. Having revised current affairs, you'll be able to get a few of them correct too.
    65 net correct is achievable provided you know the basic books backwards and you don't lose your cool during those two hours.
    As regards to the number of attempts, there is no magic formula. After you have satisfactorily answered around 50-55 questions, you can start attempting those in which you can eliminate two options. Leave those that you have no clue about, which won't be more than 10-12 for those who have prepared seriously.

I slightly disagree because if u have a hard paper like 2014 then its almost impossible to be sure on those "sure" static 60 questions.Even toppers might be sure on only 50-55 and first timers/avg students in that 40-50 qstn range.So my point here is one cannot always bank on the "attempt all no matter wat" strategy because onr thing I have learned from cse is that it is highly unpredictable so don't base ur strategy on csp2015 that was a one off.If u get a 2014 like Paper attempting only those u knw arnd 60 max and getting 90-100 odd wud be much safer than going for the kill and getting killed.P.S. 80-85+ was a good score in csp14 gs!In short there's no fix strategy one has to simply be dynaMic in the hall and decide accordingly!Besides there were a lot of ppl who took too many unnecessary risks in so called "attempt all" type csp15 ppr and suffered.One can chk.those last years threads.But yeah revise everything twice and solve few mocks for a good score come pre 2016 :-D

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • Although I do agree on the accuracy part it only improves with more study and solving mocks!
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • What is most important Revision or Test practice ? How many Revisions are must before prelims ? Plz clarify
  • gt2015 said:

What is most important Revision or Test practice ? How many Revisions are must before prelims ? Plz clarify

revision is much more imp than test practise.. no use taking test without revising things..dont attempt too many mocks for prelims..serves no purpose..
    One of the greatest mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results

secret of my name revealed..
  • osho_baba said:

gt2015 said:

What is most important Revision or Test practice ? How many Revisions are must before prelims ? Plz clarify

revision is much more imp than test practise.. no use taking test without revising things..dont attempt too many mocks for prelims..serves no purpose..
    i missed u...bhaiii aaya karo..u r the frst person who helped to kick stat my pre..as i am doing self....
  • I have tried to decipher the trend in my last 3 attempts and have come to the conclusion that this is a very futile excercise. There isn't any trend. UPSC has always surprised me.

From 2011-2013: Very less CA, very good conceptual NCERT type questions froms Economics, Geo etc. Also General Science, which everyone neglects (not Science and tech but general science)

2014-2015: GK type questions in CA. Quality very ghatiya. Simultaneously some very conceptual questions.

Each time I tried to guess the trend, I got stumped. The only trend is that there isn't any trend. But there is one thing whic is common. 35-45 questions from core areas (geo+polity+modern+eco+ some more). These can be solved through basic studies and one should score 90% on it. This will mean around 70 marks. Then use common sense for others and some knowledge of CA and environment.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • JohnSnow said:

I have tried to decipher the trend in my last 3 attempts and have come to the conclusion that this is a very futile excercise. There isn't any trend. UPSC has always surprised me.

From 2011-2013: Very less CA, very good conceptual NCERT type questions froms Economics, Geo etc. Also General Science, which everyone neglects (not Science and tech but general science)

2014-2015: GK type questions in CA. Quality very ghatiya. Simultaneously some very conceptual questions.

Each time I tried to guess the trend, I got stumped. The only trend is that there isn't any trend. But there is one thing whic is common. 35-45 questions from core areas (geo+polity+modern+eco+ some more). These can be solved through basic studies and one should score 90% on it. This will mean around 70 marks. Then use common sense for others and some knowledge of CA and environment.

there ARE trends in UPSC (the toppers tells them ,, coachingwala try to predict them and UPSC suprises them)

-for example i can tell that in UPSC 2016 ,2017 there will be one and only one question on buddhism .. which can be repititive too of previous year (based on recent trends)(anyone styuding prepious paper can predict this)

-for polity too the number of question seems to have drastically reduced although with more typicality though all the areas still remain within the locus of laxmikanth

-its like a share market ..which though not predictable 100% .. can be predicted to some extent if studied its trend well( with the bear and bulls too )

-how many of coaching wala/student thought of extra emphasis on enviroment the day IFOS was included ? if anyone did; he/she was sure to get benefited more in comparison with someone following usual study ritual
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog