ForumIAS Open Test 1: Results will be declared by 9PM, 12 th December.
Candidates can write Test till 2PM , 12th December by visiting Center or online by Clicking here Your OMR sheets are being manually evaluated.

Overweight and UPSC preparation

Guys I'm 30 kilos overweight rejected in capf also. I want to reduce simultaneously while preparing. Is it possible?

Is it possible to lose atleast 20 in 6 to 7 months? Dhyaan nahi de pa raha hun studies pe weight ki vajah se :(

Agar koi itna weight lose kiya hai to batana bhai log

Comments

• similar problem man.. :|
  • edited March 2016
    HOW TO LOSE FAT - MY RECENT EXPERIENCE (Repost from Fitness thread)

For someone who has lost tons of weight and body fat recently recently I can share my experience
    goodbye chubby cheeks and fat face
    Even though my weight loss has been 4-5 kgs but my weight distribution has been improved significantly face looks younger (3-4 years :smiley: younger)

I started on Oct 2015 now in Jan 2016 in good shape just about to start the muscle building training

my goal was lean muscle building but weight loss was a major part of it

Dietary Part
    1. Drink lot of water - 4 litres per day (regularly)
    2. Stop Eating - Rice completely ( no cheat meals )
    3. Don't even think of fast food
    4. Sugar is your biggest enemy eating stop sweets, chocolates, chocolate biscuits etc completely

U have to be tough on yourself to extent that u are ready to die of sweet craving then consume one. Everyday i have sweet craving but have to manage with water

Exercises
    1. The fastest way of fat burning is running ( not jogging, which is a joke and timepass )
    2. Make a running schedule and increase it progressively ( to monitor ur running and calorie burn buy a fitness band small investment there many cheap fitness band)
    3. Simultaneously enroll in gym - in first week perform only body weight exercises
    4. My typical week during first 4 weeks was

Monday - 2 Km running - 250 calories burn
    Tuesday - 2.5 Km running - 200 calories burn ( slower running)
    Wednesday rest day
    Thursday 1 Km running and 4* 100 m Sprints ( isme 1-2 cramps to given tha for first phase) 350 calories
    Friday 2 km running and 2* 100 m sprints ( After 2nd day sprinting i had crawl my way back to home sometimes rubbing my calves just to walk :tired_face: )
    Saturday Rest Day
    Sunday 2.5 Km running

all these days followed by Gymming
    I read it somewhere concentrate only on strength exercises like
    1. Squat ( best exercise as it increases ur leg strength needed for running and sprinting)
    2. Deadlift
    3. Bend row
    4. Bench Press
    5. Military Press

In fact if one is crazy like me start with Barbell complex ( Google it) perform 10 reps and 3 sets
    overall 3*10
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • @upsc_cracker stop eating rice completely :o
    bro rice has essential amino acids needed for effective liver function and are a good source of simple carbs..in fact our humble khichdi or dal chaawal are a complete meal..the best and lightest source for protein and carbs
  • MISSION said:

@upsc_cracker stop eating rice completely :o
    bro rice has essential amino acids needed for effective liver function and are a good source of simple carbs..in fact our humble khichdi or dal chaawal are a complete meal..the best and lightest source for protein and carbs

If you are overweight, stop eating it. But I guess it is for people in North India. A dietician once said that North Indian body type is not made to eat rice.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • JohnSnow said:

MISSION said:

If you are overweight, stop eating it. But I guess it is for people in North India. A dietician once said that North Indian body type is not made to eat rice.
    @JohnSnow bro im very much a north indian and have lost 35 kg..in about 4 months time and i had rice on alternate days. The simple rustic food is never the criminal. If u eat biryani every day, then of course it is. Rice cleans up the liver, which is essential for fat metabolism.
  • Hair loss should be added to thread .
    I was 79kg ,5.10 but now regained momentum and 71kg .
    I run for 30min in morning and normal stretching .in addition, I keep my diet seriously balanced . things start to occur into right direction.
    PS: those who are staying near Patel nagr or shadipur should visit satyam park .its very huge and will be soothening experience while prep.
    1hr well spent in morning will surely energize our mind to do things more productively. Hence come out of your room and push urself to do physical exercis before u become a laptop zombie :)
    Best of luck
  • Kisaan said:

Guys I'm 30 kilos overweight rejected in capf also. I want to reduce simultaneously while preparing. Is it possible?

Is it possible to lose atleast 20 in 6 to 7 months? Dhyaan nahi de pa raha hun studies pe weight ki vajah se :(

Agar koi itna weight lose kiya hai to batana bhai log

What's your BMI? Scientifically, Loosing 2 kg per month is the sustainable and healthy way to loose and can be achieved. 20 kg in 6 months would not only be difficul but also bad for your body and studies..

Slow and steady. Excercise and proper diet is very important. Small and frequent meals.

It is going to be difficult. Dont over do as you might feel exhausted. Just do the right amount and you will feel so refreshed and energised that you will improve on your studies too.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • edited March 2016
    MISSION said:

JohnSnow said:

MISSION said:

@JohnSnow bro im very much a north indian and have lost 35 kg..in about 4 months time and i had rice on alternate days. The simple rustic food is never the criminal. If u eat biryani every day, then of course it is. Rice cleans up the liver, which is essential for fat metabolism.
    35 kg in 4 months is quite an achievement. Please write your detailed strategy.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • @JohnSnow
    My main issue was lethargy. I was never a junk food addict, the only issue was sedentary lifestyle which led to piled up kilos. My muscles were nearly dead and i had a nagging back ache. My first challenge was to get the body moving. I was 95 kilos then. There was risk of injury to joints, since they were stiff, so i avoided any cardio in the beginning.

I started off with pranayama. Kapalbhati, Anulom Vilom, Bahaya and Agnisar. Kapalbhati i did for 30 min. Bahaya and Agnisar works magic for ur core. It activated the Manipura Chakra, which is centre of all metabolism. Plus i did simple streching. By the end of first month, i was down by 14.5 kilos.

In 2nd month, i started with weight training. I followed Rebecca Louise on youtube. Weight training improved my core strength. I started off with 5 push ups and now i can do 100 at a strech. I lost a total of 20 kilos by 2nd month.

In 3rd month, i started off with high intensity interval training. It provided much needed push to my BMR. I did HIIT on alternate days. I lost about 7 more in 3rd month.

In 4th month, i started off with Tabata, an extremely difficult form of workout, which is just for 4 mins and that too 3 times a week, but it scares the hell out of you. In addition, i started running for 30 min, 2 times a week. And the result was loss of 35 kg.

As diet is concerned, i am a vegetarian and diet was as before. Breakfast of milk plus dry fruits or poha or upma. Lunch normal, dal chaawal sabzi and curd. In dinner 2 chapatis with daal or sometimes khichdi or cheela. No dietician or special diets. But take care of protein intake. Have roasted chana and peanuts as snacks and drink at least 5 lts of water daily.
  • ^ cats agree with the above plan.
    The quest for knowledge is the quest of life.
  • edited March 2016
    Yes you can do it... do cardio in gym for 45 minutes every day 6 days a week and watch ur eating habits.. avoid fried, fatty, mutton , oily, dairy, junk food ,cold drinks etc etc and eat less carbs in dinner...avoid rice also...watch ur calorie count daily both ways i.e how much u r eating and hw much u r burning.... to reduce 1 pound of fat u need to burn approx 3500 calories... losing 1 kg a week is said to be healthy weight loss... dont over exert in the begining.... on the first day do low intensity cardio for 15 minutes..slowly increase it to 45 minutes over next two weeks... maintain it for a couple of months... then go for HIIT ...High intensity Interval training workout... that will burn ur fat at a faster rate... but remember this is all waste unless u dont eat healthy.. all the best.
    Valar Morghulis
  • I reduced 3 kg weight in one week.
    I did the following when I was to appear for interview in upsc just to look fit.
    Do folliwing-
    Include running in your schedule.
    Skipping rope, jump must be in your exercise routine.no need to go for gym.
    No need to avoid rice completely .just reduce the intake by one third. Don't take full cream.milk.take single tonned milk.
    Reduce tea intake.
    Before going for run in morning take honey and lemon juice mix in hot water.
    Eat plenty of salaad before lunch and dinner both.
    Don't take your meal in one go.if you eat six roti. Eat these in three different times.with a gap of two hours. Dnt sleep in the afternoon.dnt sleep just after dinner.do light walk after dinner.do some abdimnsl exercises at home cruncehes it is very important. Run with medium speed for a long time.while running you can wear sweater ..it will increase the rate of sweat and weight will too decrease dramatically. Stop cold drink,junk food even cold water. Drink normal water not fridge ka thnda chilled water.
    If you this much in one week.you will mimnu reduce 2 kg.
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • Usainbolt said:

I reduced 3 kg weight in one week.
    I did the following when I was to appear for interview in upsc just to look fit.
    Do folliwing-
    No need to avoid rice completely .just reduce the intake by one third. Don't take full cream.milk.take single tonned milk.
    Reduce tea intake.
    Don't take your meal in one go.if you eat six roti. Eat these in three different times.with a gap of two hours. Dnt sleep in the afternoon.dnt sleep just after dinner.do light walk after dinner.do some abdimnsl exercises at home cruncehes it is very important. Run with medium speed for a long time.while running you can wear sweater ..it will increase the rate of sweat and weight will too decrease dramatically. Stop cold drink,junk food even cold water. Drink normal water not fridge ka thnda chilled water.

Sorry to say, on a lighter note it seems ur plan worked well for ur intestines and u must hv lost 2 kgs thru pooping only :joy:
    Valar Morghulis
  • Fuhrer said:

Usainbolt said:

I reduced 3 kg weight in one week.
    Do folliwing-
    Reduce tea intake.

Sorry to say, on a lighter note it seems ur plan worked well for ur intestines and u must hv lost 2 kgs thru pooping only :joy:
    Ok.sir.

There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • I may be of some help .I started my UPSC preparation when I was 140kg .Now I am 126 .
    I have found that intense exercise affects my study periods even though it is the most effective.

There are two things you can do

1.HIIT - INTERVAL TRAINING - this simply means intervals of all out exhaustive effort followed by simplistic low intensive movement.
    E.g- 20 sec sprint followed by 40 sec walks , repeated 10-12 times.

2.Keep your heart rated elevated to 220-age BPM for a period of time.To calculate time period, divide your weight in LBS(pounds)by the number of days you will be working out.Say , 100 kg is 220 pounds divided by 5 is 44.So you have to work out for 44 min at that optimum HR.This type of workout will enhance your ability to study for long duration( not proved , personal observation)

Note- point 1 is tough on joints and study energy levels though better than 2
    Point 2 is beneficial because it improves mental endurance as well as significant neural benefits .Maintaining HR is tricky tHough.

Diet- this is 80% of your weight loss goal

1.dont eat junk.
    2.drink green tea 30 min after every meal
    3. Eat more protein ( focus on eggs( (boiled and white portion)) and nutrela )
    4. Homemade food is good but reduce portions.

Sample workout 1

Sprint - jog / ( keep intervals according to your ability)

Weight training in gym
    Pushups - pullups - squats circuit( 20 each * 3 sets)

Sample workout 2

Run / cycle / gym cardio equipment ( preferable as it gives you HR and time)
    Maintain HR

Most Importantly
    Weight loss is calorie in-out game .
    A kg of ay has 3500 calories
    Losing 1 kg means losing 3500 calories
    So eat accordingly .
    Considering you have a 2800 cal diet
    Eat for 2400 and burn 400.Over a week , you will lose the water weight and then slowly start reducing 1-1.5 kg a week.

Wish you all the best.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • any comments for increasing weight for vegetarian (i do eat eggs).
  • I may be of some help .I started my UPSC preparation when I was 140kg .Now I am 126 .
    I have found that intense exercise affects my study periods even though it is the most effective.

There are two things you can do

1.HIIT - INTERVAL TRAINING - this simply means intervals of all out exhaustive effort followed by simplistic low intensive movement.
    E.g- 20 sec sprint followed by 40 sec walks , repeated 10-12 times.

2.Keep your heart rated elevated to 220- BPM for a period of time.To calculate time period, divide your weight in LBS(pounds)by the number of days you will be working out.Say , 100 kg is 220 pounds divided by 5 is 44.So you have to work out for 44 min at that optimum HR.This type of workout will enhance your ability to study for long duration( not proved , personal observation)

Note- point 1 is tough on joints and study energy levels though better than 2
    Point 2 is beneficial because it improves mental endurance as well as significant neural benefits .Maintaining HR is tricky tHough.

Diet- this is 80% of your weight loss goal

1.dont eat junk.
    2.drink green tea 30 min after every meal
    3. Eat more protein ( focus on eggs( (boiled and white portion)) and nutrela )
    4. Homemade food is good but reduce portions.

Sample workout 1

Sprint - jog / ( keep intervals according to your ability)

Weight training in gym
    Pushups - pullups - squats circuit( 20 each * 3 sets)

Sample workout 2

Run / cycle / gym cardio equipment ( preferable as it gives you HR and time)
    Maintain HR

Most Importantly
    Weight loss is calorie in-out game .
    A kg of ay has 3500 calories
    Losing 1 kg means losing 3500 calories
    So eat accordingly .
    Considering you have a 2800 cal diet
    Eat for 2400 and burn 400.Over a week , you will lose the water weight and then slowly start reducing 1-1.5 kg a week.

Wish you all the best.

not 220 bpm...he will have a heart attack at this pulse rate..lol.. its called as target heart rate
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp#mainContent

Find here for more
    Valar Morghulis
  • I am 5ft 8-9 inch something. Weighing 70kgs around! So thats kinda optimal and okay.I am not overweight for someone my height and age but the problem is due to sedentary lifestyle in a couple of months plus maybe inconsistency with yoga and other things i have not been able to mantain my body fat!

I mean tummy has increased quite a bit! What should i do? any suggestions..

some other details:-

a) Used to gym earlier and used to play sports and all.. Now due to upsc prep do only brisk walking and yoga and a lil bit weights and all..

b) cant run since a year ago got this pain in my lower legs due to shin splints. earlier used to run in Kms but now get the pain in just 10 mins of running only plus have lost stamina... so do brisk walking, even jogging is a big chore for me. i envy people who jog and run btw which I used to do and i cant.

c) Yoga is my thing. All the difficult asanas in arm balances, head balances, inversions etc I do..Not the ramdev ones, its astanga vinyasa Yoga and also the Iyenagar Yoga. Its tough but has increased my flexibility like anything and energy and cured digestive problems and gives me energy. But on many a days due to lethargicity I get up late and dont do it.

d)Eating habits are fine but not good. Stay wiith parents so home cooked meals and all. No jyada tel and all but mummy ko samjhana hi mushkil hai because she wont let me eat less, i dnt know why! and 4 times a day with rice and all.. i tried avoiding rice but couldnt because staying at home got habituated. Rice avoid karne ko plz mat bolna, mummy mar dalege..

samosa is my favorite which i do once in a week now or if someone like some relatives come. no junk food as such!
    earlier, used to drink that lemon+honey+hot water wala thing right up in the morning..didnt saw any benefit so left it!

i eat legumes and grams and sprouts also in the mornings. milk daily 1 full cup! water is usually 3-4 liters!

bas yehi hai! tell me what should i do to make my tummy lesser.. i mean level it.. i dont wish to shed kilos, i just want to reduce fat around my stomach and waist! also, i am a guy if anybody mistakes me..

and yeah, plz dont suggest running, jogging, gymming.. gymm join nahi karna because long time.. and baaki dono running and jogging is not possible because shin splints and all plus doctor has told me that since my father has arthritis so it may develop in me too..

agar yaha nahi bata sakte, u can do so over Inbox!
    The ultimate Upsc strategy that you will ever need: http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/14380/beginners-adda/p1
  • HOW TO LOSE FAT - MY RECENT EXPERIENCE (Repost from Fitness thread)

For someone who has lost tons of weight and body fat recently recently I can share my experience
    goodbye chubby cheeks and fat face
    Even though my weight loss has been 4-5 kgs but my weight distribution has been improved significantly face looks younger (3-4 years :smiley: younger)

I started on Oct 2015 now in Jan 2016 in good shape just about to start the muscle building training

my goal was lean muscle building but weight loss was a major part of it

Dietary Part
    1. Drink lot of water - 4 litres per day (regularly)
    2. Stop Eating - Rice completely ( no cheat meals )
    3. Don't even think of fast food
    4. Sugar is your biggest enemy eating stop sweets, chocolates, chocolate biscuits etc completely

U have to be tough on yourself to extent that u are ready to die of sweet craving then consume one. Everyday i have sweet craving but have to manage with water

Exercises
    1. The fastest way of fat burning is running ( not jogging, which is a joke and timepass )
    2. Make a running schedule and increase it progressively ( to monitor ur running and calorie burn buy a fitness band small investment there many cheap fitness band)
    3. Simultaneously enroll in gym - in first week perform only body weight exercises
    4. My typical week during first 4 weeks was

Monday - 2 Km running - 250 calories burn
    Tuesday - 2.5 Km running - 200 calories burn ( slower running)
    Wednesday rest day
    Thursday 1 Km running and 4* 100 m Sprints ( isme 1-2 cramps to given tha for first phase) 350 calories
    Friday 2 km running and 2* 100 m sprints ( After 2nd day sprinting i had crawl my way back to home sometimes rubbing my calves just to walk :tired_face: )
    Saturday Rest Day
    Sunday 2.5 Km running

all these days followed by Gymming
    I read it somewhere concentrate only on strength exercises like
    1. Squat ( best exercise as it increases ur leg strength needed for running and sprinting)
    2. Deadlift
    3. Bend row
    4. Bench Press
    5. Military Press

In fact if one is crazy like me start with Barbell complex ( Google it) perform 10 reps and 3 sets
    overall 3*10

Hello. Thanks again. Can you tell me about the time it takes you to run for these different sets in treadmill?

I am running 2 km and 3 km alternatively. But I am.sure that my speed is lesser than required.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • @beverlyhills90210
    You need to tone your abs and accessory muscles. Check out some good ab routines on youtube.

Reduce rice, otherwise it will get converted to fat and get deposited around the belly. You need to cut back, no other option.

rice ka mere upar nahi hai na bhaiya! Mummy controls it.. I had to fight wd her to reduce it.. I dont think wo ho paega!

Abs ke liye I do yogasanas like what is call as jack knive is navasana only in yoga! and plank ka bhi kuch toh naam hai sanskrit mei!

baaki daurna waurna merese nahi hoga!
    The ultimate Upsc strategy that you will ever need: http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/14380/beginners-adda/p1
  • swimming nahi aati.. :disappointed: aur hai bhi acche swimming pools yaha pe aur na hi nadi hai utne :pensive:
  • I am 5ft 8-9 inch something. Weighing 70kgs around! So thats kinda optimal and okay.I am not overweight for someone my height and age but the problem is due to sedentary lifestyle in a couple of months plus maybe inconsistency with yoga and other things i have not been able to mantain my body fat!

a) Used to gym earlier and used to play sports and all.. Now due to upsc prep do only brisk walking and yoga and a lil bit weights and all..

b) cant run since a year ago got this pain in my lower legs due to shin splints. earlier used to run in Kms but now get the pain in just 10 mins of running only plus have lost stamina... so do brisk walking, even jogging is a big chore for me. i envy people who jog and run btw which I used to do and i cant.

c) Yoga is my thing. All the difficult asanas in arm balances, head balances, inversions etc I do..Not the ramdev ones, its astanga vinyasa Yoga and also the Iyenagar Yoga. Its tough but has increased my flexibility like anything and energy and cured digestive problems and gives me energy. But on many a days due to lethargicity I get up late and dont do it.

d)Eating habits are fine but not good. Stay wiith parents so home cooked meals and all. No jyada tel and all but mummy ko samjhana hi mushkil hai because she wont let me eat less, i dnt know why! and 4 times a day with rice and all.. i tried avoiding rice but couldnt because staying at home got habituated. Rice avoid karne ko plz mat bolna, mummy mar dalege..

samosa is my favorite which i do once in a week now or if someone like some relatives come. no junk food as such!
    earlier, used to drink that lemon+honey+hot water wala thing right up in the morning..didnt saw any benefit so left it!

i eat legumes and grams and sprouts also in the mornings. milk daily 1 full cup! water is usually 3-4 liters!

bas yehi hai! tell me what should i do to make my tummy lesser.. i mean level it.. i dont wish to shed kilos, i just want to reduce fat around my stomach and waist! also, i am a guy if anybody mistakes me..

and yeah, plz dont suggest running, jogging, gymming.. gymm join nahi karna because long time.. and baaki dono running and jogging is not possible because shin splints and all plus doctor has told me that since my father has arthritis so it may develop in me too..

raat ke khaane ka kota kam kar do.
    Several hours or several years make no difference once you have lost eternity...

I have just 2 rotis and veggies at nyt! Ab isko kaise kam karu!
  • edited March 2016
    Optiming Metabolisim rate is very much crucial as our Sedentary lifestyle during Preparation degrades It.
    So,Space ur Meals for 3 hrs/each.

Visit this Website: www.bodybuilding.com
    there u'll get tons of suggestions regarding Diet & Exercises
    Nothing endures ...except change

Hmmm. Kam to hai but you increase your intake for morning and then reduce dinner to just 1 roti with proportionate amount of veggies and a glass of milk with a gap of 1.5 hrs . Try having your dinner before 8 and if possible then 5 min. walk before going to bed. :) "asan"ke maamle mein to you rock. Just take Care of "niyam"
    Several hours or several years make no difference once you have lost eternity...

Hmmm. Kam to hai but you increase your intake for morning and then reduce dinner to just 1 roti with proportionate amount of veggies and a glass of milk with a gap of 1.5 hrs . Try having your dinner before 8 and if possible then 5 min. walk before going to bed. :) "asan"ke maamle mein to you rock. Just take Care of "niyam"
    Thanks, man! is it compulsory to do jogging or running like anything?? i am doing weights and all other exercises!
  • Inke apne benefit hain but khaali weight mantain karna hai to 25-30 suryanamaskar karlo, bohot hai.
  • Inke apne benefit hain but khaali weight mantain karna hai to 25-30 suryanamaskar karlo, bohot hai.

Tummy kam karna hai! Mai suryanamaskar utne nahi karta lekin baaki bahut saare asan karta hu 1 ghante tak! usually headstands and handstands inversions jo typically bahut hard wale hai!

tummy bas kam ho jaaye fir bas brisk walking se hi kaam chala lunga..along wd yoga! shayad kisine kaha tha ki yoga se bhi kam hota hai lekin 8 mahine time lagta hai..

and later years me jyada fayda hai jab sab ki health down rahti hai even though they do gym and all, we are naturally flexible and at peace..thru yoga!
  • is it true dat candidates r rejected due to overwt? if bmi >30
    IFoS 2014, Batch 2015.
    CS 2015, Interview
    CS 2016.,Interview*
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog