ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

UPPSC Social Work Optional : Books, strategy and misc info

Hello Guys, B)
I'm starting this new thread to have a ONE STOP SHOP for Social Work Optional in UPPSC.
Veterans, Please enlighten us with your experience and Name some important books and material for it.
·

Comments

• @vasu Sir has posted his strategy about Social Work:

Social Work: The biggest scope for marks is here folks. Remember you can get 300 marks easily!. This I got to know by my 2014 marks as with minimal preparation I could score 272 marks. Need is just some smart study.

Paper 1: , remember some definitions along with core points/chapters of the syllabus and mention it with name of THINKERS/SOCIAL WORKERS. Answers written without any attempt to mention the names of thinkers are more of general nature and wont be awarded well. This therefore requires atleast 1 time study of entire paper from any book that you follow. I followed Soodan here. Also try to write to the point. There is a huge rumour among PCS aspirants regarding filling of pages. Frankly speaking, being a CSE aspirant,I never knew how to add pages just by writing nonsense. Many say this but I simply can never follow it. It really feels ridiculous when you write ABC when exactly the question was about XYZ. May be luckily u may get call for an interview in such a case but surely final selection on writing crap is very difficult.

Paper 2: Nothing specific.The entire CSE preparation helps here. Quote as many as current examples,policies, laws, regulations, announcements and also if u can mention any such policies of both central govt as well as UP Govt.,that would assure you more than 150+ marks alone in this paper itself. I got 157 in 2014 in this. This year in the changed pattern they prepared quite a good standard paper of SW esp.Paper 2, which was easily attemptable with your CSE preparation.

·
  • Thanks for sharing! Work on ppr1 with mentioned syllabus..it will give a good lift provided you perform exceptionally well in ppr2. ATB!
    2013-Interview|2014/2015:CSM|2015:IFoS Interview|SSC-13: Income Tax Inspector| 2014: UPPCS Interview| Finally- 2015: SDM in UPPCS
    ·
  • vasu said:

Thanks for sharing! Work on ppr1 with mentioned syllabus..it will give a good lift provided you perform exceptionally well in ppr2. ATB!

is IGNOU material sufficient if no book is available ?
    ·
  • @vasu Sir has posted his strategy about Social Work:

Social Work: The biggest scope for marks is here folks. Remember you can get 300 marks easily!. This I got to know by my 2014 marks as with minimal preparation I could score 272 marks. Need is just some smart study.

Paper 1: , remember some definitions along with core points/chapters of the syllabus and mention it with name of THINKERS/SOCIAL WORKERS. Answers written without any attempt to mention the names of thinkers are more of general nature and wont be awarded well. This therefore requires atleast 1 time study of entire paper from any book that you follow. I followed Soodan here. Also try to write to the point. There is a huge rumour among PCS aspirants regarding filling of pages. Frankly speaking, being a CSE aspirant,I never knew how to add pages just by writing nonsense. Many say this but I simply can never follow it. It really feels ridiculous when you write ABC when exactly the question was about XYZ. May be luckily u may get call for an interview in such a case but surely final selection on writing crap is very difficult.

Paper 2: Nothing specific.The entire CSE preparation helps here. Quote as many as current examples,policies, laws, regulations, announcements and also if u can mention any such policies of both central govt as well as UP Govt.,that would assure you more than 150+ marks alone in this paper itself. I got 157 in 2014 in this. This year in the changed pattern they prepared quite a good standard paper of SW esp.Paper 2, which was easily attemptable with your CSE preparation.

...any idea ki material kaha se milega..??
    ..The difference between a goal and a dream is a Deadline....
    ·
  • Im trying. Will inform asap.
    ·
  • just found in some other thread.... posting it here so that this info doesnt get lost in those threads

" Bhai yeah Soodan , online milegi kya? I have searched it but didn't find .
    bhai mushkil hai ...if you know someone in Lucknow, you can get it from Sahu book depot , aliganj...thats where i got mine..or search for publisher's website...NA Publications...lko...maybe they hv courier option

SW P1:
    > KS Soodan - An Intro to Social Work
    > IGNOU MSW Modules

SW P2:
    > Ram Ahuja - Social Problems in India
    > Internet "
    ..The difference between a goal and a dream is a Deadline....
    ·
  • @vasu sir, your medium was English or Hindi ?
    I can't find a good book of social work in English.
    ·
  • Soodan is easily available in mukherjee nagar.
    ·
  • What about these ignou material..are they available in m.ngr??
    ·
  • Bhai Soodan is so easily available everywhere in Mukherjee nagar and Allahabad Lucknow..dont b worried..its a one stop book..

Also I never read ignou notes as I never had that much tym..so just cant comment about its quality.
    2013-Interview|2014/2015:CSM|2015:IFoS Interview|SSC-13: Income Tax Inspector| 2014: UPPCS Interview| Finally- 2015: SDM in UPPCS
    ·
  • edited March 2016
    hi all, can some1 post SW 2015 papers

@vasu pls upload if possible

Thanks in advance
    ·
  • Is Ks soodan available in english?
    ·
  • Yesss...its in english..
    ·
  • Finally bought "An Introduction to Social work" by K.S. Soodan. Its a 2008 edition consisting of 410 pages (including index). I just perused through the table of content and it seems that this book, as also pointed out by @vasu, should be sufficient for paper 1
    Life is one challenge it!
    ·
  • sunNy1985 said:

Finally bought "An Introduction to Social work" by K.S. Soodan. Its a 2008 edition consisting of 410 pages (including index). I just perused through the table of content and it seems that this book, as also pointed out by @vasu, should be sufficient for paper 1

Exactly and the best thing is that it is brilliantly written..
    ·
  • edited April 2016
    vasu said:

sunNy1985 said:

Finally bought "An Introduction to Social work" by K.S. Soodan. Its a 2008 edition consisting of 410 pages (including index). I just perused through the table of content and it seems that this book, as also pointed out by @vasu, should be sufficient for paper 1

@vasu bhai, need a little clarity. In a SW related thread last year, you had mentioned Surinder Singh as the better book compared to Soodan. I am reading the latter and find it a decent book although according to me, some other source needs to be tapped to frame better, wholesome answers.
    So, is Surinder Singh a better book than Soodan..? Does it have any edge over the latter? Until now, i the combo of Soodan + IGNOU in mind. kindly guide.

PS. Since you made the statement almost a year ago, it is also possible that your opinion may have changed...
    युद्ध के मैदान तूने खुद चुने हैं...
    ·
  • boht boring book lagi soodan..or may be i dont like the subject..
    One of the greatest mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results
    ·
  • vasu said:

sunNy1985 said:

@vasu bhai, need a little clarity. In a SW related thread last year, you had mentioned Surinder Singh as the better book compared to Soodan. I am reading the latter and find it a decent book although according to me, some other source needs to be tapped to frame better, wholesome answers.
    So, is Surinder Singh a better book than Soodan..? Does it have any edge over the latter? Until now, i the combo of Soodan + IGNOU in mind. kindly guide.

PS. Since you made the statement almost a year ago, it is also possible that your opinion may have changed...
    bhai soodan is more than sufficient ..dont worry much ..focus more on ppr 2..prepare ppr1 once and for all from any source that you have..its more a theoretical ppr..you will get max 130-135 marks here..use definitions, quotes, social thinkers, examples, UN definition of sw etc.. here as much as possible..always remember the way you express is more important, sometimes even more than the content. Ppr 2 has scope to give you upto 160 marks net. Here your upsc GS preparation will help. So prepare ppr 1 from any book that you have. I followed just soodan and that too for max 7-8 days as I never got more time than this in any of my pcs mains. But yes I was more confident that in p2, I will do good and ultimately it helped. Hope it helps.
    ·
  • edited April 2016
    @Kuribayashi however if u still feel like going for more sources, no problem. But do check previous year questions and the syllabus before reading anything. Soodan I mentioned as it has almost all of the things. In Surinder and Tejkat Pandey(the guide that is referred by all hindi medium folks written in english) things are bit in a scattered form. But it all depends on you. If u feel yourself comfortable with them, do them. A lot of time is there still. Also keep preparing essay topics like general issues, NSS Summit, Mallya controversy, earthquake in nepal (they ask past events as well like in 2015), parliamentary disruptions, Indo-Pakistan recent camaraderie and Pathankot Attacks..the followups etc. Remember essays in UP are more of long answer type questions. Use ample facts as I have already mentioned. English medium folks, be more cautious in using unnecessary pompous english jargons etc. Use very simple english words and chose essay topic very diligently. I consider essay as one the most easiest portion of this exam as the essays here are very direct. The need is just to select them properly and write with ample facts, quotes and avoiding any unnecessary huge words in sentences. ATB!
    ·
  • many thanks @vasu bhai ...you have explained it thoroughly...i don't think there's scope for any ifs or buts...i havr made up my mind to follow just soodan and fine tune the answers and its structure...p2 , as you said, will now get my max attn... :)
    युद्ध के मैदान तूने खुद चुने हैं...
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google