MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Prelims 2016 - New Initiative - Monday Polity Quiz - Day 1

edited March 2016 in Featured
Hi All,

Prelims 2016 is now coming near and nearer. Keeping the same in mind, we have come up with a new initiative

We will be posting a 7-10 Questions Quiz on a daily basis.

Monday Polity Quiz- we will be publishing five to ten questions on Indian Polity
Tuesday Economy Quiz – where we will be publishing five to ten questions on Economy
Wednesday Geography & Environment Quiz – 5 -1 0 questions on Geography & Enviorment
Thursday History & Culture Quiz - 5 - 10 questions on Ancient, Medieval & Modern History, Art & Culture
Friday General Awareness Quiz – This will have about 7- 10 questions on the S & T, and other Miscellaneous Topics
Saturday CSAT Quiz - This will have at least 10 questions on CSAT for Prelims 2016

The purpose of these is to enable practise on a daily level for you to prepare for Civil Services Prelims Examination. This questions will be moderate level and it is expected of you solve these questions with decent level of preparation.

If you are looking for more professional questions with a rank – we also have a Test Series where you will be competing with about 2000+ serious IAS aspirants.

This is Polity Quiz Day 1. Please type your answers in the comments below .

These Questions will be posted on the Portal - http://forumias.com/portal

These initiatives will not stop before Prelims 2016 .

You can view and answer Today's Questions here

http://forumias.com/portal/the-monday-polity-quiz-1/

Since Its day 1, we are also reposting the quiz questions as a dicsussion thread.

Note : Answers to the quiz will be posted in the comments section one day later

Q.1) The Constitution of India was enacted by a Constituent Assembly set up:
a) Under the Indian Independence Act, 1947
b) Under the Cabinet Mission Plan
c) Through a resolution of the provisional government
d) By Wavell Plan

Q.2) Which of the following statements regarding the Constituent Assembly are true?
1. It was not based on Adult Franchise.
2. It resulted from direct elections.
3. It was a multi Party body.
4. It worked through several committees.

Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 3 and 4 only
d) 1, 2, 3 and 4

Q.3) Which of the following provisions of the Constitution came into force from November, 1949?
1. Provisions relating to citizenship.
2. Provisions relating to elections.
3. Provisions related to provisional parliament.
4. Fundamental Rights

a) 1 and 2 only
b) 1, 2 and 4 only
c) 1, 2 and 3 only
d) None of the above

Q.4) The nationalist demand for a constituent assembly was for the first time conceded by the British Government, though indirectly and with reservations in the:
a) Cripps Proposal
b) August Offer
c) Cabinet Mission Plan
d) Act of 1935

Q.5) The constitution provides that Hindi shall be:
a) the National language of India
b) the language of communication between the State Governments
c) the official language of the Union of India
d) the language of communication between the Union Government and the State Governments

Q.6) Freedom of speech and expression are restricted in the Constitution on grounds of
1. Defamation
2. Contempt of court
3. Protecting a scheduled tribe
4. Friendly relations with foreign states

a) 1, 2 and 3 only
b) 2, 3 and 4 only
c) 1 and 4 only
d) 1, 2 and 4 only

Q.7) Separation of the Judiciary from the executive is enjoined by:
a) Preamble
b) Directive Principle
c) Seventh Schedule
d) Judicial Decision

Q.8) Provisions of the constitution relating to the administration of scheduled areas and tribes in Schedule V:
a) May be altered by the Governor
b) May be altered by Parliament by amendment requiring two-third majority
c) Cannot be altered
d) May be altered by Parliament by ordinary legislation

Q.9) While a proclamation of emergency is in operation in the country, the state government:
a) Cannot legislate
b) Can legislate only on subjects in the Concurrent List
c) Can legislate on the subject in the state list
d) is suspended.

Q.10) Which of the following regarding the election of the President is correct?
a) A candidate securing the majority of votes is not automatically elected
b) The supreme court has no jurisdiction in any doubt or dispute arising in connection with the election of the President
c) The Presidential election cannot take place when one or more State Assemblies stand dissolved because all the State Assemblies form part of the Electoral College
d) The total value of the votes allotted to both Houses of Parliament is much more than the total value of the votes of all the states taken together

Comments

• Questions look good. Will be attempting them soon. One query. Will you continue this initiative till Prelims. Because we don't want any discontinuity if once I decide to follow you.

Questions are definitely not easy.

Writing CSE Mains 2016
  • thanxx a lot forumias for this!!!!
  • Waiting for answers may discourage people taking part in this.
  • 1-b
    2-a
    3-c
    4-b
    5-c
    6-d
    7-b
    8-a
    9-c
    10-a

@Captain_Peroxide only mistake is in 2nd question.
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • edited March 2016
    @forum ias I think question no. 8 is not properly framed.
    As fifth schedule part x ,article 244 deals with scheduled areas only. use of term tribal in q is not appropriate.
    Apart from certain ambiguity exist in options too.
    Like ,what type of change in provisions of the Constitution.
    For example for some provisions president has to consult governor.
    For some provisions governor has plenary powers as far as administration is concerned. Also,In 5 schedule areas executive power of Union extends ,centre has greater role to play.
    But 6 schedule which is tribal area is under executive authority of state...
    So mixing of terms in question and intent of the question is not clear.
    Giving a,b and D all these options as correct.

Usain bolt
  • edited March 2016
    @Captain_Peroxide question no. 8 ...answer is d.
    Source : http://lawmin.nic.in/olwing/coi/coi-english/Const.Pock 2Pg.Rom8Fsss(33).pdf
    goto page 238 on the link.
    Rest are fine.

@Usain_Bolt Question 2 answer is c.
    The constituent assembly wasn't elected by direct elections.

I myself got 2 answers wrong.
  • edited March 2016
    @Kindle agree c is correct.
    @Captain_Peroxide it is c only.
    Got confused due to not correct.
    Applied correctly in option a but in option b forgot to apply. :# :#
    Usain bolt
  • Gazab! Forumias ne toh free wale questions mein bhi controversy create kar di!

Good questions @ForumIAS
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
  • @ForumIAS -- Many thanks for this initiative. The quality of Q's is good as well...will be following this till August.

Bring it on. :)
  • Kindle said:

@Captain_Peroxide question no. 8 ...answer is d.
    Source : http://lawmin.nic.in/olwing/coi/coi-english/Const.Pock 2Pg.Rom8Fsss(33).pdf
    goto page 238 on the link.
    Rest are fine.

Thank you so much for correction. I misinterpreted the question. How can governor amend the constitution! Lol :D.. Sorry my mistake.

@Usain_Bolt :grimace: No worry bro :)
    :)
    Usain bolt
  • 7 right and 3 wrong as per @captain peroxide answer key.

Q8- explaination-
    Answer will be A because as per Art244 governor has power to direct any law related to schedule areas does apply or not even if it is applied , what modification can be done.....
  • Question number 2 is wrong, option 1 and 4 are correct only.
    Just wait and watch...
  • Hyper said:

Question number 2 is wrong, option 1 and 4 are correct only.

I think it is 1,3 and 4...... there was muslim league, congress , hindu mahasabha initially.league quit afterwrds....so it is multi party right?
  • 1. A
    2. C
    3. A
    4. B
    5. C
    6. D
    7. B
    8. B
    9. D
    10. A
    History Optional
    "Let the fear find you again "
  • Hyper said:

Question number 2 is wrong, option 1 and 4 are correct only.

I think it is 1,3 and 4...... there was muslim league, congress , hindu mahasabha initially.league quit afterwrds....so it is multi party right?
    Yeah, absolutely right.
    Just wait and watch...
  • for ques 2 ...i think correct answer should be 1 3 4
  • 7 right and 3 wrong as per @captain peroxide answer key.

Q8- explaination-
    Answer will be A because as per Art244 governor has power to direct any law related to schedule areas does apply or not even if it is applied , what modification can be done.....

In Q 8, it is talking about provision of constitution. IN chaptr 10 of laxmikanth, 4th edition, page 10.2, if you see list of things that can be amended under 'simple majority', you will find point 17 to be related with this. Now simple majority amendments are not considered as constitutional amendment and hence it is an ordinary legislation. All this means, option d is right. Governor can only amend regulations passed by govts. @Rajadhiraja_ASB ... Am i right @JohnSnow ?
    Yes ordinary legislation. I earlier thought that it can be amended only by 2/3rd majority. But as per the schedule itself, any amendments to it should not be considered as constitutional amendment. Good question and thanks for sharing the answer.

Governor can not amend the constitution ofcourse. The question asks about the provisions of costitution not the applicability of laws in scheduled areas. So the bold part above is wrong interpretation.

IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • in Q2 : why statement 1 is wrong?

Q.2) Which of the following statements regarding the Constituent Assembly are true?

a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 2 and 3 only
    c) 3 and 4 only
    d) 1, 2, 3 and 4

was CA based on Adult franchise??
    'Believe'
  • Since this is for questions on pre...can someone please explain what the formulae for different money supply are? M0, M1 M2, M3 M4
  • Does M0 include other deposits with RBI??
  • Economic survey vol 2 , p 50.
    1. There's a difference between currency in circulation and currency with public ??

a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 2 and 3 only
    c) 3 and 4 only
    d) 1, 2, 3 and 4

As per my knowledge, There was limited adult franchise (10 percent) after some relaxtion given in 1935 act.....
    @captain_peroxide can help better

a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 2 and 3 only
    c) 3 and 4 only
    d) 1, 2, 3 and 4

As per my knowledge, There was limited adult franchise (10 percent) after some relaxtion given in 1935 act.....
  • 1-a;2- c;3-b;4-a;5-c;6-d;7-b;8-a;9-d;10-a
  • Need some explanation on question 9

Q.9) While a proclamation of emergency is in operation in the country, the state government:
    a) Cannot legislate
    d) is suspended.

Is'nt the legislative assembly kept in suspended animation during emergency, then how come it can still legislate on a subject in state list??
  • Great Initiative . will keep everyone on dr toes !!!
  • ralminks said:

Need some explanation on question 9

a) Cannot legislate
    d) is suspended.

Is'nt the legislative assembly kept in suspended animation during emergency, then how come it can still legislate on a subject in state list??

During emergency , no state assembly is suspended . State assembly can be suspended only under Article 356
  • edited March 2016
    Before asking doubts go through the relevant chapter in laxmikanth to clarify your doubts even after that if doubt persists post the same here.
    Don't make this thread a pile of !!!!!!

Mod Note: Please do not discourage people from asking doubts . Let us create meaningful discussions, shall we?

a) 1 and 2 only
    b) 2 and 3 only
    c) 3 and 4 only
    d) 1, 2, 3 and 4

But Constituent assembly was not elected directly by the people of India on the basis of adult franchise, it was indirectly eleceted. (See page 2.2 of Laxmikanth, Para 3). There was voting rights extended in the Act of 1935 but on that basis constituent assmebly was not elected.
    Just wait and watch...
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog