[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Strategy for Essay Paper

edited June 2013 in Essay
Now essay paper carries 250 marks equivalent to a gs paper or a paper of optional..moreover while marks in a gs paper are generally on lower side the essay marks have been highly variable ranging from 120 to even 30 .In changed scenario and specially of the low marking in optional each mark is important.A good score in essay can be a game changer. lets share the views on the strategy..
·

Comments

• Now essay paper carries 250 marks equivalent to a gs paper or a paper of optional..moreover while marks in a gs paper are generally on lower side the essay marks have been highly variable ranging from 120 to even 30 .In changed scenario and specially of the low marking in optional each mark is important.A good score in essay can be a game changer. lets share the views on the strategy..
    I referred to Bijay Ketan Upadhyaya Sir's blog and found his writings quite intresting (AIR-5). He has written a piece on how to approach essay and score better. (He scored 140+/200) Google his blog, i m on mobile so can't provide the link.
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
    ·
  • #:-S , was practicing essay . Learning how to draft and just wrote a small essay [7 page max] as a starter . Hope I could end up with good quality UPSC style one .

2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • I found a book on advanced essays on google books but I have not gone through it. Several essays of the book are available for free viewing and might be of some help to aspirants. The link is as below:

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=6kXM3g45VvgC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
    ·
  • Now essay paper carries 250 marks equivalent to a gs paper or a paper of optional..moreover while marks in a gs paper are generally on lower side the essay marks have been highly variable ranging from 120 to even 30 .In changed scenario and specially of the low marking in optional each mark is important.A good score in essay can be a game changer. lets share the views on the strategy..

I referred to Bijay Ketan Upadhyaya Sir's blog and found his writings quite intresting (AIR-5). He has written a piece on how to approach essay and score better. (He scored 140+/200) Google his blog, i m on mobile so can't provide the link.
    here is the link
    http://bijayketanupadhyayaias.blogspot.in/2010/04/how-to-get-140-marks-in-essay-in-cse.html

You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
    ·
  • Scholarly one or used with complete technical jargons wont fetch good output in essay . Down-to-earth ones are the ones which could attract the examiners . For that practice .
    2017--> 8th attempt
    ·
  • Last year I had included nearly every perspective in my essay on "Managing work and home – is the Indian working woman getting a fair deal ?". I managed to get 100 marks, not good but I was satisfied. As said by @Vibin I also didn't use any technical jargon. I think that writing heading and subheading might fetch more marks though this method of writing is generally criticized. Underlining important points is a crucial thing because the examiner will focus more on that and hence awarding you more marks.
    ·
  • Though i got only 85 marks last year ( which i think was good because my content was not satisfactory).

I wrote on PPP and wrote in very narrow terms referring to public-private partnership only in large projects ( missed its relevance in almost all spheres of life nowadays from Education, health to even Space research)

So , I think i got those marks on presentation part

I wrote a catchy introduction highlighting Dreams of Welfare state at Independence with ideology at that time and where are we today.

then i wrote meaning of PPP and started with historical evolution in both India and world context ( like why it started , when it grew ,at what pace etc.)

Next i wrote PPP in Indian Context.

Advantages of PPP

Examples of Projects completed through PPP which gave good experince (only 2 examples)

Disadvantages of PPP

Example of Projects which gave bad experiences ( only 2 examples)

Cost benefit analysis

Conclusion

Wrote all the points above points in different Paragraphs.

Total ~ 1400 words

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why –Mark Twain
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    Can i write Essay paper in my mother tongue n rest of the papers in english? Is it allowed ?
    ·
  • Can i write Essay paper in my mother tounge n rest of the papers in english? Is it allowed ?
    Of course not. All the papers which will be counted in the final total should be in the same language.
    ·
  • @Stardust1901 @RobinIAS this is what the notification says(the corrigendum)
    "Candidates will have the option to answer all the question papers, except the Qualifying Language papers
    Paper‐A and Paper‐B, in any of the languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution of India or in English."
    very loose worded..
    :-?
    ·
  • @Stardust1901 @RobinIAS this is what the notification says(the corrigendum)
    "Candidates will have the option to answer all the question papers, except the Qualifying Language papers
    Paper‐A and Paper‐B, in any of the languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution of India or in English."
    very loose worded..
    :-?
    I think that would mean any one of the 8th Schedule languages because the mains DAF has only the option of giving one language.
    ·
  • Yes...wouldn't make sense having people write different papers in different languages.
    ·
  • I am not so good in English and drafting impressive essays... I may ideas in mind but I find it very difficult to convert my ideas into a well furnished Essay... Please Guide....
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    I am not so good in English and drafting impressive essays... I may ideas in mind but I find it very difficult to convert my ideas into a well furnished Essay... Please Guide....
    Your expressions are limited by your vocabulary. It is very important that you have good communication skills in at least one language, it doesn't need to be english, it can be whatever is your mother tongue.

Success in the mains will be difficult, if not impossible, if you cannot express your thoughts articulately. Therefore, since you have weak english skills, you need to consider improving your grammar and vocabulary as an important part of your preparation, at par with studying history or geography. There is no shortcut to it, except through a lot of writing practice and receiving good criticism. Read long articles and try to learn writing strategies from them. Google things like 'how to write a good essay', 'how to improve english writing skills' you will find various videos and articles that can help you.

Also, don't ever write like this "I am not so good in English and drafting impressive essays... I may ideas in mind but I find it very difficult to convert my ideas into a well furnished Essay... Please Guide....". Always make it a point to write your very best, in complete sentences, even if it is an sms or on a forum. Write every word like you will write the mains. Improvement can only come through constant practice.
    ·
  • While waiting for the result, I think it would be nice to write one essay and get some feedback, especially when you don't have experience of long write-ups. I'm planning to write one on this "Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient way of going backwards"

Would you be willing to take a look and provide feedback? @Stardust1901 @Partho
    ·
  • While waiting for the result, I think it would be nice to write one essay and get some feedback, especially when you don't have experience of long write-ups. I'm planning to write one on this "Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient way of going backwards"

I am sure you will get a lot of feedback here. Criticising is a lot easier than writing your own essay (something which I have not done in many years).
    ·

I am still learning the nuances of essay writing - I have not written a full essay since class 12th. :D So, will try to share whatever limited knowledge I have.

There are many aspirants on this forum who are more capable than me in reviewing and writing an essay. Just share your essay on this forum and let criticism take over. ;)

P.S I like the topic you have chosen. :)
    ·
  • I am not so good in English and drafting impressive essays... I may ideas in mind but I find it very difficult to convert my ideas into a well furnished Essay... Please Guide....

Your expressions are limited by your vocabulary. It is very important that you have good communication skills in at least one language, it doesn't need to be english, it can be whatever is your mother tongue.

Success in the mains will be difficult, if not impossible, if you cannot express your thoughts articulately. Therefore, since you have weak english skills, you need to consider improving your grammar and vocabulary as an important part of your preparation, at par with studying history or geography. There is no shortcut to it, except through a lot of writing practice and receiving good criticism. Read long articles and try to learn writing strategies from them. Google things like 'how to write a good essay', 'how to improve english writing skills' you will find various videos and articles that can help you.

Also, don't ever write like this "
    I am not so good in English and drafting impressive essays... I may ideas in mind but I find it very difficult to convert my ideas into a well furnished Essay... Please Guide....". Always make it a point to write your very best, in complete sentences, even if it is an sms or on a forum. Write every word like you will write the mains. Improvement can only come through constant practice.
    I was hoping you would present your insights :D
    When victory is certain, even the cowards can fight.
    Brave are those who fight even when their defeat is certain.
    ·

• I was hoping you would present your insights :D
    No insights man, its mostly common sense. Being an engineer, I have not written a long essay since standard 12th, so I don't have any specifics to offer. I have been planning to practice an essay for a few weeks now but haven't gotten around to it, I will probably write one this week.

I will write maybe 6-8 full essays and along with that practice writing detailed outlines/structures of 10-15 essay from previous years' papers.
    ·

• I was hoping you would present your insights :D

No insights man, its mostly common sense. Being an engineer, I have not written a long essay since standard 12th, so I don't have any specifics to offer. I have been planning to practice an essay for a few weeks now but haven't gotten around to it, I will probably write one this week.

I will write maybe 6-8 full essays and along with that practice writing detailed outlines/structures of 10-15 essay from previous years' papers.
    No I meant - generally your level of expression is good.

I am not at all inclined to write anything as far as practice goes. I have a pretty good framework in my head as to how I would go about it in the actual exam. That's all that matters.
    When victory is certain, even the cowards can fight.
    Brave are those who fight even when their defeat is certain.
    ·
  • Essay paper is sure to be a crucial factor in deciding our overall performance in Mains. With 200 marks last year, I came across marks ranging from 45 to 130. One can only imagine the range of variation with 250 marks now!
    ·
  • I am attaching Essay written on a previous year topic "Preparedness of our society for India's global leadership role". I am Planning to write 7-8 essays and i would like people from forum to review and give suggestions and feedback. It can be two way process and we all can improve.

Last year i wrote on PPP and scored 86 (43% - Not good).

Thanks in Advance.
    pdf
    pdf
    Essay- Preparedness of our society for india's global leadership role.pdf
    2M
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    @pankaj121
    Few points I observed in your essay.
    1- Introduction was good. Aspirational change, new world order, a question at the end of the intro. Nice.
    2- You have tried to lay a foundation for your essay using the historical perspective, which is good.
    3- Then you have tried to take up the following issues, one by one.
    i- Unity in diversity.
    ii- External affairs- Only SL issue addresed, US nuclear deal, Indo-japan nuclear and defence deals, french rafael etc need mention.
    iii- Functional democracy, given a very brief global perspective, contrasting with jasmine revoltion and arab spring.
    iv- Caste, class and religion- handled decently.
    v- Demographic transition and demographic dividend- opportunities/potential and challenges.
    vi- S&T development- avhievements and challenges.
    vii- Economy- agri importance. ( IMO lots missing here, IPR issue, Issue of tarrif & non-tariff barrier etc)
    viii- Gender bias-gender gap index, MMR, health, low repr in parliament.
    4- Conclusion. I would have liked a little more optimistic outlook with the ending.

Points you should have added,
    1- Poverty- needs a lot of emphasis.
    2- MDG targets, how we have fared.
    3- A few international orgs and policies like G20, look east policy and emerging south-south co-operation. India's role in it.
    4- Economic reforms, in the historical perspective.
    5- Emergence of Indian service sector. Overview of other sectors, esp the core ones like infrastructure.
    6- Effects of globalization, +ve and -ve, in light of the booming economy and US and eurozone crisis, how India/world as a whole was affected etc.
    7- Some ecological perspective, Indian stance, what is reqd from Indian side.

One more thing, you need to work a bit on your hand-writing.

Thank you for sharing!

@Mods
    Lot of discussion has been going on lately, regarding reviving the forum's quality. So I would not like to whine much about it. But please take sincere efforts to save and keep threads like these(peer review of answers, which has now gone into oblivion) alive. They are critically endangered at the moment!

Treat them as announcements, take personal interest, or whatever you guys see fit. But do something!
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
    ·
  • edited July 2013
    @mach24 I know it's very cruel of me to do an assessment of your assessment of an essay, but I found your assessment a paradigmatic misunderstanding of what the purpose of Essay paper is. Essay is not a GS paper. Essay hinges primarily on the clarity of expression in the language you have chosen to write it in. In fact, essay is more of a language test really (language, mind you, not literature) than a knowledge test. GS, on the other hand, is primarily an assessment of the content i.e. one's level of knowledge. I stress primarily, because language and clarity of expression are still important in GS papers but they play a supporting role to the content. Often people miss out on this.

Now, what other points one could have chosen for his essay become totally unimportant purely because one has not chosen them. What is important is how you demonstrate that the points you have chosen are 1. relevant to the topic and 2. form a coherent flow.

Too many points and data crowd the essay. In fact, they might be a huge turn off to the examiner too because, as far as I know, essay papers (in English) are evaluated by English (language) professors! That's also why one should refrain from drawing diagrams and flow charts (yes, people do that).
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog