ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Confusion regd IFoS eligibility: Can a BCA/MCA guy with Math as a subject in BCA appear?

Hi All,

I have done BCA and MCA. had Math as a subject in first two semesters in BCA. Will I be eligible for Ifos exam.
The notification says -
"The candidate must hold a Bachelor's degree with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology.."

I do have Math in my Bachelors. But it was only in 1st sam and 2nd sem. This is the confusion for me.
Please help me on this.
If anyone knows any upsc personnel dealing with these matters, let me know also. will check with him/her. The guys at facilitation counter do not give any conclusive answer.
·

Comments

• I am a B.Sc(comp sc.) grad and had appeared for IFos mains last time, though could not qualify.
    optional-maths
    ·
  • kwab2012 said:

I am a B.Sc(comp sc.) grad and had appeared for IFos mains last time, though could not qualify.

So, does it mean all Btech guys are also eligible?? Because every branch of engineering has mathematics as a subject in 1st year.
    ·
  • edited March 2016
    all btech guys are eligible. the notification says that all engineering students can. So, btech comes under that.
    ·
  • Maths doesnt mean maths in 1st semester or year ,it means a degreee with Maths as major.
    ·
  • kwab2012 said:

I am a B.Sc(comp sc.) grad and had appeared for IFos mains last time, though could not qualify.

u had Math as a major subject or only in some semesters/years?
    ·
  • sssp said:

kwab2012 said:

i had maths and physics in 1st and 2nd year only
    optional-maths
    ·
  • kwab2012 said:

sssp said:

kwab2012 said:

i had maths and physics in 1st and 2nd year only
    Thanks bhai
    ·
  • sssp said:

Hi All,

I have done BCA and MCA. had Math as a subject in first two semesters in BCA. Will I be eligible for Ifos exam.
    The notification says -
    "The candidate must hold a Bachelor's degree with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology.."

I do have Math in my Bachelors. But it was only in 1st sam and 2nd sem. This is the confusion for me.
    Please help me on this.
    If anyone knows any upsc personnel dealing with these matters, let me know also. will check with him/her. The guys at facilitation counter do not give any conclusive answer.

Bro confirm with ur university. BCA has discrete maths in first year. Those people who have commerce n arts in 11 n 12 class r also eligible for taking up BCA in karnataka. As far as i knw in karnataka BCA comes under management course list. Most colleges tat have BCA has BBM/BBA. I mayb wrong. But plz conform frm somewer. Because it is a very big decision. Best of luck for ur preparation
    ·
  • sssp said:

Hi All,

The notification says -

Please help me on this.

Bro confirm with ur university. BCA has discrete maths in first year. Those people who have commerce n arts in 11 n 12 class r also eligible for taking up BCA in karnataka. As far as i knw in karnataka BCA comes under management course list. Most colleges tat have BCA has BBM/BBA. I mayb wrong. But plz conform frm somewer. Because it is a very big decision. Best of luck for ur preparation
    Thanks @SHADOW_BLAZE . Math was there though (not discrete math). I will check though. also thinking to check with someone working in upsc directly.
    ·
  • i had same doubt so I applied RTI for clarification to both upsc and MEoF... in upsc's reply they said that u have to study maths as one subject to be eligible as mentioned in Ifos notification.... MEoF said that our university should confirm that, what we study in BCA maths is mathematics I,e in case we clear the exam we have to get a confirmation letter saying that maths in BCA is same as maths in other graduation... so I suggest u to approach BU and get this confirmation and then u can start preparing for exam....

another thing, BU does not consider BCA as management course.... if u visit BU website BCA is under science department....
    UG : http://bangaloreuniversity.ac.in/science-syllabus/
    PG: http://bangaloreuniversity.ac.in/science/

if u see in both the link then BU considers BCA as allied science...

I think if u can solve ur problem by approaching BU and getting certificate....
    ·
  • are matar paneer ho ya biryani, matar to matar hota hai na
    Sab sahi hai koi saparate mathematics ka paper ya subject nahi chaiye
    iss qualification ke saath to bandey armed services (na aur afa ke liaye math honi chaiye)me bhi select ho chuke hai
    Aur bataun
    BCA me ek stat ka paper bhi hota hai tum Indian statistical services ka paper bhi de sakte ho
    ·
  • sorry in case of CDs it is maths @ 10+2 level & case ke saath qualifications bhi alag hai
    ·
  • i had same doubt so I applied RTI for clarification to both upsc and MEoF... in upsc's reply they said that u have to study maths as one subject to be eligible as mentioned in Ifos notification.... MEoF said that our university should confirm that, what we study in BCA maths is mathematics I,e in case we clear the exam we have to get a confirmation letter saying that maths in BCA is same as maths in other graduation... so I suggest u to approach BU and get this confirmation and then u can start preparing for exam....

another thing, BU does not consider BCA as management course.... if u visit BU website BCA is under science department....

Respected sir.

It is choice based credit system now in BU.
    In the same link that u have posted, check the notification of BCA and its prescribed qualification. I have copy pasted it for u.

R. 6. Eligibility for admission:
    a) A candidate who has passed the two years Pre-University Examination
    conducted by the Pre-University Education Board in Karnataka
    b) A candidate who has passed JODC / Three years Diploma in Engineering of
    Government of Karnataka or any other examination considered as equivalent
    thereto shall be eligible for admission.
    a) Any student who has passed PUC –II Science, Arts or Commerce securing a
    minimum of 35% OF MARKS
    OR
    b) Any student who has passed JODC or Diploma in Engg. (of three year
    duration of Govt. of Karnataka) with minimum of 35% of marks in aggregate
    in all the semester /years.

PS: my intention was to remind him to clarify before diving into ifos exam preparation and nothing else
    ·

Respected sir.

In the same link that u have posted, check the notification of BCA and its prescribed qualification. I have copy pasted it for u.

minimum of 35% OF MARKS
    OR

PS: my intention was to remind him to clarify before diving into ifos exam preparation and nothing else
    What r u trying to tell here?
    ·
  • @Doval_ajit can you please share the copy of that RTI reply?
    ·

Respected sir.

minimum of 35% OF MARKS
    OR

Can arts/commerce student apply for a "science " course? My doubt
    ·
  • @Doval_ajit can you please share the copy of that RTI reply?

Sorry I am not getting those at the moment... I will search if I get those I will post those images...
    ·
  • edited March 2016

i had same doubt so I applied RTI for clarification to both upsc and MEoF... in upsc's reply they said that u have to study maths as one subject to be eligible as mentioned in Ifos notification.... MEoF said that our university should confirm that, what we study in BCA maths is mathematics I,e in case we clear the exam we have to get a confirmation letter saying that maths in BCA is same as maths in other graduation... so I suggest u to approach BU and get this confirmation and then u can start preparing for exam....

Respected sir.

minimum of 35% OF MARKS
    OR

I don't know what u r trying to conclude... But according to rti reply I got, whoever has studied maths as one subject in his graduation is eligible for the exam... If u want more clarity on this issue u can apply RTI query to MEoF..
    ·

Respected sir.

minimum of 35% OF MARKS
    OR

I don't know what u r trying to conclude... But according to rti reply I got, whoever has studied maths as one subject in his graduation is eligible for the exam... If u want more clarity on this issue u can apply RTI query to MEoF..
    Ok thanks for the info
    ·
  • Guys and concrete information on this ? Can a BCA graduate apply for IFOS ?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google