10 Days to Mains: Don’t Be Intimidated. Be Inspired. By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 CGP 2019 Admission Test | Details Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty
CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
Current Affairs 2019   We are commencing with the second batch of Current Affairs + Answer Writing from 16th September. Attend the first class free on Sunday, 16th September at 11AM, New Delhi. Click here to know more and register. Click here for details.

Can anyone share tips given at Unique's session yesterday?

Can anyone share tips provided by D P Aggrwal Sir's event yesterday. I am not appearing for interview, but it will be useful to know all that insights from the man himself. Audio/ Video recordings of the event will best.
Writing CSE Mains 2016

Comments

• Hi,

I attended the session. It was good. Very enlightening. Very realistic. Some of the things said I do not agree with - I wanted to ask difficult questions like variation in marks across boards. and some people getting 9 ,or 16 or 29 marks in essay of out of the blue ( if it is an error or so)

I have posted the summary elsewhere, but I believe this will be a dedicated place to list it, so copying and pasting it for others. I am also elaborating some of the points here.

1) The decision to answer a question is yours. Do not guess . Don't ask the board Sir can I guess ? Some candidates ask the board - Sir Can I guess? Now are are you here to guess. By asking this question, you are trying to shift the burden of decision of answering or not answering the question on the board member. But this decision has to be taken by you.

2) We want to assess your decision making ability . So we may confuse you. That is something we can't test in the Mains. We do this in the interview. We see how you decision making gets affected under confusion and conflicting inputs.

3) You have to demonstrate to the board that you have a solution or an idea with you. That happens with deliberation .

4) In one or two questions we decide your dishonesty . Then it's over. So never be dishonest . If you have done coaching, say you have done coaching. One candidate said he is preparing full time for IAS for past four years sitting in Delhi. When a board members asks about coaching he says no coaching sir! Then what are you doing in Delhi for four years ? You can as well prepare from home!

5) 5) You can assess your own level by framing a UPSC question paper , writing it's answer and and you will know how much water you are in.

From the question paper you can assess how much how much level you can think with respect to the issues. From your answers you can infer what level of knowledge do you have.
    You know how much how much water you are in by the type of questions you frame and the answers you write.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @Neyawn Did he say anything about what matters in interview, personality or communication skills or knowledge? And in what proportion?

What I mean is that if we're unable to answer a few questions or give a factually wrong answer, will that lead to low marks, assuming all other factors are fine.

Can we still be awarded 200+ if we're unable to answer few question and politely admit it?

This query is for all of you who have given interview before as well.
  • edited March 2016
    6) Same applies for the interview . You can frame forty questions and try to answer them yourself . Then see how you perform against those questions.

7) Once a board asked - what will you do when you see an accident . Now most people have not seen accident . But they will give wonderful answers. So don't give utopian answers.

8) Interview is not a Gk test. Interview is an honest discussion between you and the board. Honesty is the key.

9) When asked what will you do as a district collector when riots break down . People answer I will go there . If you are the District collector if you go there then who will see the district ? You can't do everything. You will have to activate the machinery - riot control machinery , health machinery etc.

10) Some people say Sir I dont remember facts . When we ask you birth rate death rate , you say you don't know . How come you don't know ! All policies are made on these stats, death rate birth rate , labour force participation etc. and how come you not know . When what are you joining civil services for ? How can you fix it when you don't know the problem ?

11) He asked a question - Tell me four cities of Tamil Nadu and tell me what work is being done there primarily - you can't answer it. You don't know your home state ?

12) As a bureaucrat you are not running the country. Yes you have two duties -
    a) implement the programs and policies of the government

b) Pass on to the policy maker the difficulties that are arising in implementation of those programs and policies .

You are not a monarch . You are a civil servant.

13) Commit only that in the interview which you can do. Don't over promise things .

All in all he was very crisp, succinct. Some of the things he said , I did find utopian - but glad that at least the person at the apex level . For example,

Thats all folks, rest can be put up by @INeeDtoGetIn @mango_dolly and @GreyMatterRules . They were also there.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • sidhog said:

@Neyawn Did he say anything about what matters in interview, personality or communication skills or knowledge? And in what proportion?

What I mean is that if we're unable to answer a few questions or give a factually wrong answer, will that lead to low marks, assuming all other factors are fine.

Can we still be awarded 200+ if we're unable to answer few question and politely admit it?

This query is for all of you who have given interview before as well.

Did he say anything about what matters in interview, personality or communication skills or knowledge? And in what proportion?

Personality. But he did mention that you should be clearly understood when you speak, irrespective of language.

If you asked him this, he would obviously say No. But he did say that it doesn't matter if you dont know - say I dont know. But if it was something you are supposed to know, you should know it. If you have 49 out of 50 No's then that is a problem.

I don't think anyone can quantify how many No's it takes to screw up an Interview. Nor should we be worried about this.

• has anyone recorded the event...(voice)? it would be helpful if the recording is posted...
  • @Neyawn Thank you sir! It was very informative.
    Writing CSE Mains 2016
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog