ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Optional: Civil Engineering Book lists, Strategy & Planning

edited September 2015 in Engineering
I had this thing in mind since long. We, the aspirants with CE optional will share our strategy, booklists & doubts.
We may discuss specific topics as well. Give your brief intro to start with.
Guys with CE as optionals like @bharat141 and @vPaul may join the group.
CSE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 470s| IRS C&CE
ESE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 90s |
·

Comments

• I am 2012 NIT Nagpur passout. I'll be appearing for 2014 for the first time. Presently working with Coal India Limited in M.P.

Question papers: http://www.jawahar-book-centre.com/question-papers-for-civil-services1.html Scroll down for the list of CE papers.
    ·
  • Hi

Nice way to start. I did masters from IITB in 2010. It took me 3 years to realise what a private company job is like. So shifted my focus to CSE. Attempted CSP 2013 but 2014 will be my 1st serious attempt. I live in hyderabad.
    ·
  • I am starting with hydrology.
    Books: SK Garg (Primary source), Ven-Te-Chow & Raghunath (Secondary sources)
    Analysis: Over the years, direct questions on UH, no. of rainfall gauges have reduced. Focus is more on complicated topics as far as numericals are concerned.
    However theory questions are much on the lines & predictable.

@bharat141 : Great Bro. Do share your strategy. We will make this thread a gem.
    ·
  • Is any selection this year from civil engg,marks, by the way i new to this forum, working with a very good psu, looking for civil service after 6yrs of my service , likely to keep civil......can we discuss, subject wise and topic wise book and more importantly questions sources for practice apart from cse/ese mains previous yr question paper, ....whats should be most efficent procedures/steps for preparing CIVIL engineering....advice and usefull suggestion can make differences, orientation is very important to complete such a huge syllabus for making it scoring, .......and pl dont let this thread die down..
    ·
  • @alphaqsecc

I am currently in full swing for ESE-2013. So i will be replying a little liesurely on the thread. I will increase the pace from July.

VTChow is an awesome book which covers the basics perfectly. It is very good for learning concepts but should be complemented by any Indian author book for solving problems.

@rak8rc

Welcome bro. We shall discuss all you have mentioned and let us give our best shot at CSE-2014.
    ·
  • @bharat141 : All the very best brother. May you come out with flying colours. Sure, do come back in July.

@rak8rc : Mate, trend changes with years. We will strive to create a wonderful, rational thread of serious aspirants.

Vineet Kumar: Marks : 300+....AIR 354
    Shankaranand Mishra: 252...AIR 374

·
  • thanx u all for providing great n relevant information, a systematic approach will lead to our success. we should follow same code for referring all our broad topic(sub subjects) like Structure analysis-STA , members pl suggest for all our sub subject and then we will be on same frequency,
    by the way which book is good for STA- i also have R.c.Hibler besides other general book, i am guessing many of us r going to appear for next week exam, so we wll come of details of strategy /procedure/sequence when all member free to give their suggestion, members not giving Es exam pl give ur valuable inputs. Best of luck guys for ur ES exams.
    ·
  • @rak8rc : R.C.Hibbler is a good book. Supplement it with NPTEL pdf's. I haven't touched any of topics of P-I so others may please pour in.
    ·
  • Paper II topic: Construction technology

Booklist: Bindra & Arora, SK Duggal

Strategy: I feel in this humongous theoretical section, one should study with photographic memory. Memorize diagrams & not data. Let the answers flow from your perfect diagrams.
    We shall try & present answers for few model questions as time passes.

Note: Esp for this part refer to previous years' question papers & extrapolate liberally.

Please pour in your thoughts, ideas too so that we may mutually benefit :)
    ·
  • Friends, how many of u, r working professionals. At whats conditions it possible to manage civil service exam with Job especially with civil engineering as optional, :-?

·
  • @rak8rc : Mate, I'm working with a PSU since almost an year now. You can find time if you desperately need to crack UPSC or else we can have truckloads of excuses like lack of time, energy, sucky boss to name a few.
    Just go for it :)
    ·
  • @rak8rc

I am a working professional. working since 2 years in a pvt company. It is difficult to study while working but when you want to crack CSE, you should find time to study against all odds.
    ·
  • Transportation Engineering

LR Kadiyali - airport enguneering
    LR Kadiyali , Khanna & Jhusto - Highway Engineering
    Saxena - Railway Engineering

It is a vast syllabus with less weightage of marks. Easy to study with very small formulae :P
    ·
  • Transportation Engineering

LR Kadiyali - airport enguneering
    LR Kadiyali , Khanna & Jhusto - Highway Engineering
    Saxena - Railway Engineering

It is a vast syllabus with less weightage of marks. Easy to study with very small formulae :P
    Bharat, Bro check if airport engg. is present in Civil services syllabus.
    ·
  • Friends Pl list must read book/Material for RCC and STEEL . Thanx
    ·
  • RCC: Menon & Pillai, Punmia
    Steel: Subramanium
    ·
  • dear, what about Duggal for steel.
    ·
  • @rak8rc: I feel Subramanium is more comprehensive mate but Duggal is more easy to grasp. Choice is yours :)
    ·
  • @alphaqsecc

apologies.. i was too much preoccupied with ESE 2013.

for RCC go for pillai & menon. Its a very good book and generates intrest in subject
    ·
  • for Soil which book is better.....Can u frnds suggest any book on collection of questions from various sub subject?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google