ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Why doesn't anybody tell us that UPSC CSE is pure lottery? Write to the Expert Committee.

It was my third attempt overall and second very-very-serious attempt. Geography optional.
I did everything by the book. Everything. Joined test series at Vajiram and Vision. Consistently scored among the top in both of them. Consistently scored highest marks in Essay mocks at Vision. Prayed regularly to God. Consistently gave 10+ hours everyday all the year round for last 2 years. Was very confident after giving the mains. But in the end couldn't even qualify Mains. After losing the first two attempts (both in mains), I thought I was wrong somewhere. After second attempt, I even left my govt. job to devote whole-heartedly to this preparation. Now, I'm 28, out-of-job and with no prospects of future.
But on the positive side, now I'm pretty damn sure of two things: (point wise)
> UPSC CSE is a PURE LOTTERY. After you cross a certain threshold, it is PURE LUCK.
> There is NO GOD. We've been fed lies, lies and more lies by our ancestors who devised GOD so as to keep the ambitions of the general populace in check. Before writing this post, to relieve myself....

[Mod note: Last two lines deleted due to provocative content]

Comments

• Ffirstly luck is certainly there and it plays a major role if u are from gen cat.remember only top 1300 from gen got selected this year so even if all ur paper went good still it does not guarantees selection because perception of examiners matters a lot particularly in ethics and essay.reserved cat candidates on the other hand get 50-60 marks concession so chances are that they would get selected even if they screw up one or even two of their papers.that why u see many selected candidate failing to clear mains exams while on other many candidates also clear mains either because of reservation or because they wrote good answers but at the same time did not got screwed up by their luck{examiner or upsc} in this case.
  • I can understand your feeling.. Similar situation with same optional.. As it is said that history is written by victors.. Those who clear will never say that it's luck .. They will exaggerate their efforts.. And nobody listens to losers.. I'm saying thia because i know many close friends clearing exam without even completing the syllabus., no test series, nothing... I woula add that when two optionals were there people putting effort were getting selected but after the current gs trend and ethics it has become very subjective.. And i m happy that now you have come out of this illusion of god... I am an atheist ... It's only luck after a threshold.. I hope this time our luck remains at least neutral instead of going in negative side. :)
  • And while you're at it, beat one of your parents, for having given birth to you.

Fool, God is in the air you breathe. God is in your very body.
  • Never make anything greater than your life. Take CSE only as an exam. If you clear good, otherwise think that India has lost one great servant :lol: and move on
  • I did all except "Praying regularly to God"... I think this is the reason I failed.

Will purchase mangaldeep today and start praying.. :(
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
  • Bro, God is eternal truth whether one acknowledges it or not. I have been writing CSE Mains since 5 years. This year was my best prepared attempt and still could not qualify despite giving 2 consecutive interviews (CSE 13 and 14). No matter what UPSC does in my life, it is not BIG enough to make even SMALL dent in my faith of God. So have patience and trust God. Some day miracle will happen.
  • It was my third attempt overall and second very-very-serious attempt. Geography optional.
    I did everything by the book. Everything. Joined test series at Vajiram and Vision. Consistently scored among the top in both of them. Consistently scored highest marks in Essay mocks at Vision. Prayed regularly to God. Consistently gave 10+ hours everyday all the year round for last 2 years. Was very confident after giving the mains. But in the end couldn't even qualify Mains. After losing the first two attempts (both in mains), I thought I was wrong somewhere. After second attempt, I even left my govt. job to devote whole-heartedly to this preparation. Now, I'm 28, out-of-job and with no prospects of future.
    But on the positive side, now I'm pretty damn sure of two things: (point wise)
    > UPSC CSE is a PURE LOTTERY. After you cross a certain threshold, it is PURE LUCK.
    > There is NO GOD. We've been fed lies, lies and more lies by our ancestors who devised GOD so as to keep the ambitions of the general populace in check. Before writing this post, to relieve myself....

[Mod note: Last two lines deleted due to provocative content]

You are right about God. I am surprised it took you this long.

Regarding other things, i also used to think about the luck aspect, and it is certainly there as the exam is just a matter of hours. But then i think about people like Chakresh Misra, who has consistently cleared mains 4 or 5 times, which makes me doubt my assertion.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
  • Why some candidates clearing the exam again and again if it is luck based exam.
    What we do in those 3 hrs matter the most.
    Go through the CSM 2015 gs1,gs2,gs3 paper discussion threads on forum with question papers in your hand and see what people have written in exam and what was asked.

U may also see the points written by selected candidates like @thewhitetiger,@tonystark...etc etc they have written exactly to the point whereas some of them who have not qualified have spread raita in paper.
    This exam isn't luck based as it seems to be.

• New comers are advised to stay away from this thread. :)
  • edited February 2016

i really hate writing on this forum, but for the sake of it, lets do it.

Everybody today is blaming luck, GOD, stars and what not. Their loss is supreme and one's who've made it are LUCKY. God's chosen few and what not. Understand very clearly,
    1. UPSC invites no one, the exam is purely voluntary.
    2. You are their to prove to no one, if your name in the list is the only thing you look for Please eliminate yourself when you find your name in that list.
    3. Try finding joys in your passing and failing, stop being a sadist. Respect other people's hard work, their dare to take a different optional when you followed easy path. Reservations didn't start after you started preparing for exams. It is fine few people are lucky / deserving or whatever.
    4. If these failures are not able to teach you I am unsure anything would.

People here are painting such a gloomy picture. They had a job a life whatever, remember this world will go on. you live for people you love, the day you find your name in the list you'll understand it means nothing. Your memories and effect you have over others is only thing you have.

Regarding hard work and failure remember few minutes back someone might have received cancer tests positive, A mom might have lost her son to terrorists, and fire would have gutted some poor chaps life long savings. Are you really sure you failure results are bigger than that ??
    Even if I drag Bajrang Bali to your doorsteps and ask him why he did this to you and he then he presents 1000 more people more wronged than you then what ?? Are you sure that you are most unfairly treated of all the 15000.

Reasons are inside. Life is a lottery. Only certainty is people you love and your efforts. It has been 10000 years since man has roamed this planet substitutes to almost everything have been manufactured except hard work and will.

Find a job, wife, friend, bike ....... whatever gives you peace.
    GOD is busy managing world affairs and has his hands full with a lot of stuff. So he will pardon you beating his posters ;)

Cheer up, bencho beer pee le sab theek ho jaega

Well said
  • i am a fresher and will give my first attempt probably next year and this post has yet again put me in dilemma whether it is advisable to prepare exclusively for this exam means without thinking about any backup as such for at least one year.....further seeing this post and many others i am again confused whether there is time tested strategy to at least cross the cut off in very first attempt
  • माया का पर्दा हटाओ प्रभु दिखेंगे!
  • mimansa said:

i am a fresher and will give my first attempt probably next year and this post has yet again put me in dilemma whether it is advisable to prepare exclusively for this exam means without thinking about any backup as such for at least one year.....further seeing this post and many others i am again confused whether there is time tested strategy to at least cross the cut off in very first attempt

1. Back up is a must
    2. there is no such strategy, let alone in the first attempt :)
    @salvationseeker
    ohhh....so i have to seriously consider about a good back up......being a mechanical engineer i have two options with me .......psus through GATE or state civil services of Bengal....the advantage of bengal civil services is that its notifiction appears each year unlike other states......so considering this what shoud be a good back plan for me...plz suggest......which service is good psu or state civil service since i can whole heartedly prepare for either of the two

• mimansa said:

mimansa said:

i am a fresher and will give my first attempt probably next year and this post has yet again put me in dilemma whether it is advisable to prepare exclusively for this exam means without thinking about any backup as such for at least one year.....further seeing this post and many others i am again confused whether there is time tested strategy to at least cross the cut off in very first attempt

1. Back up is a must
    @salvationseeker
    ohhh....so i have to seriously consider about a good back up......being a mechanical engineer i have two options with me .......psus through GATE or state civil services of Bengal....the advantage of bengal civil services is that its notifiction appears each year unlike other states......so considering this what shoud be a good back plan for me...plz suggest......which service is good psu or state civil service since i can whole heartedly prepare for either of the two

The problem with PCS are:

1. recruitment process is corruption, nepotism ridden
    2. there is no fixed exam, result schedule .

So u cannot rely on PCS exam.

PSU is a much better option, if u can get good GATE score.

mimansa said:

mimansa said:

1. Back up is a must
    @salvationseeker

The problem with PCS are:

1. recruitment process is corruption, nepotism ridden
    2. there is no fixed exam, result schedule .

So u cannot rely on PCS exam.

PSU is a much better option, if u can get good GATE score.

@salvationseeker
    thank you very much for your kind reply......one last question..... objectively which job is better one of the top post of state pcs or psu provided one is lucky enough to cross the hurdles like corruption nepotism of pcs

• This is my third interview with geography. My prep started from June 2012. Waiting for name to appear on main list . I was happy to see my name on reserve list since i thought it ll never appear. I am from gen category.

I missed final ranks from very few marks. I blamed my luck like u did. But looking back i realise god if it exists has been kind to me. I went in both times with marks hovering around cut off. I got the chance to appear in interview and score pretty decent marks. This gave me energy for subsequent attempt.

From what i have realised

In a subject like geography which is the first choice of every fresher u need to be extremely good among the thousands

Geography is not easy. If someone found it easy they r not studying properlyproperly. Its a bulky optional. Difficult to understand the interconnections. Vajiram or vision will not help u understand it. Only u can do it.

There is nothing like incremental improvement in this exam. You do well and miss by few marks . next attempt u give all that u got. U may still not clear because there is lot of new water flowing in every year.

Everyone who writes the exam or is serious enuf to persue thinks they are smart. But then there are smarter people. Accept

What is common sense for IRA singhal is special knowledge to me. So we cant blame toppers who make the exam sound easy.

Yes. Not everyone has the capability to clear the exam.we can only try. But that doesnt mean there are only 1000 intelligent souls.
  • And I never went to vajiram and vision. But u had to compete with me. There are aspirants outside Delhi as well
  • one of my friend actually has published a book for language of BA level.he failed in compulsory language paper of upsc.
  • edited February 2016
    mevhravi said:

one of my friend actually has published a book for language of BA level.he failed in compulsory language paper of upsc.

Agar aisa ho skata hai to...UPSC main kuch b ho sakta hai....BIG PROBLEM
    solution...Ganja par ban lagao...log ganja pee k check karte hein paper..especially JNU waale...aur clerk to weed maar k entries marte hein....100 ke qo aur 130 k 13 bana dete hein..full pay lete hein..logon ka kaat dete hein... :/ yeh mera Madmax bhai b aise hi kisi ka shikaar ho gya hai....
    Bhagwan hote hein bhailog lekin wo kuch kar nahi sakte...... :D UPSC k maamle main...kyu ki agar aap ne pray kiya roz aap ka nahi hua to jiska hua ussne b pray kiya hoga....So GOD is THERE but He/She Doesn't CARE.. :)
    PS Main b fail hua hun mains main iss baar gaaliyan mat dena :/
  • mevhravi said:

one of my friend actually has published a book for language of BA level.he failed in compulsory language paper of upsc.

Agar aisa ho skata hai to...UPSC main kuch b ho sakta hai....BIG PROBLEM
    solution...Ganja par ban lagao...log ganja pee k check karte hein paper..especially JNU waale...aur clerk to weed maar k entries marte hein....100 ke qo aur 130 k 13 bana dete hein..full pay lete hein..logon ka kaat dete hein... :/ yeh mera Madmax bhai b aise hi kisi ka shikaar ho gya hai....
    Bhagwan hote hein bhailog lekin wo kuch kar nahi sakte...... :D UPSC k maamle main...kyu ki agar aap ne pray kiya roz aap ka nahi hua to jiska hua ussne b pray kiya hoga....So GOD is THERE but He/She Doesn't CARE.. :)
    PS Main b fail hua hun mains main iss baar gaaliyan mat dena :/
    @Pagalmadmax ka re madmaxwa dusarka attempt ke liye tyari chalu kar diye ho ka
  • mevhravi said:

Even I have heard hons. students (from good universities) doing badly in optionals. I was going to write a big reply here disapproving the rationalists and their logic of Chakresh Mishras or Pandeys etc. But what the hell. I am done with this bullshit.

A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
  • zoey said:

I can understand your feeling.. Similar situation with same optional.. As it is said that history is written by victors.. Those who clear will never say that it's luck .. They will exaggerate their efforts.. And nobody listens to losers.. I'm saying thia because i know many close friends clearing exam without even completing the syllabus., no test series, nothing... I woula add that when two optionals were there people putting effort were getting selected but after the current gs trend and ethics it has become very subjective.. And i m happy that now you have come out of this illusion of god... I am an atheist ... It's only luck after a threshold.. I hope this time our luck remains at least neutral instead of going in negative side. :)

+1

You are right about God.

Regarding UPSC mains, its not a pure lottery, but yes some sort of uncertainty is there. Here's how :

1. Had it been a pure lottery, people like Chakresh Mishra and many more( some of whom i know personally) would not pass in mains repeatedly i.e consecutive thrice, 4 times, 5 times. Not only mains, there are many who found their name in the final list for consecutive 4-5 times.

2. Had it been a pure lottery , those who have been failing repeatedly in mains( thrice, 4 times, 5 times) , would have got lucky at least once , but its not so. It means they lack in something else than luck.

3. Had it been a pure lottery, we would find those who don't study much clearing mains along with those who work very hard. But it is not so, we generally find those who worked hard to qualify this exam. There are some who fail even after working hard, but there is something called 'approach' which comes with either the inherent aptitude or proper training, which many lack. So hard work is not the panacea for success. Blaming luck, calling the exam a pure lottery just because you worked hard and failed , thus, is not apt. Its like living in a coccon of subjectivism that I am deserving enough and fault does not lay at me.

So if not pure lottery, what is it ?

a) yes, the subjectivity involved in the mains exam, make things uncertain, but uncertainity too has a limit. Uncertainity can fail you once or twice, but not always in all your attempts.

b) Uncertainty can give you low marks in one of the papers but certainly not in all of them. Uncertainty is not that 'certain' that it will ditch you in all the papers. Why would it be called 'uncertainity' then?

c) Writing skill has lot to do with success in this exam. But whether you have good writing skill or not, is very difficult to find out since subjectivism is involved here. People tend to like whatever they write even if it is pure rubbish, just like almost all of consider ourselves good-looking, no matter how ugly we might be from an objective point of view. And assessing yourself from getting good marks in test-series is a pure myth.

d) There is something called incapability. You might be incapable for this exam. You might do good in other fields but as far as this exam is concerned, you might not be suitable enough. Thats why we find many people who have always been academically good repeatedly failing in this exam, not just in final list or mains, but even in prelims.

e) Its a competition. Out of lakhs of people, only a handful will get selected. Only the fittes will survive in this struggle. And how fit you are will not be decided by you ( as everyone considers himself quite fit ), but by outcome of the struggle i.e result only.

What should we do then?

We should just keep learning and improving ourselves with each failure. Blaming luck or calling it a lottery might help vent out our emotions but it would not help us in any other way. As Vivekananda righlty says ' karm karo , fal ki chinta mat karo'.

+1

There is an absolute hegemony of English.
  • Certainly luck is there...

Who knows upsc butchers which optional ...example being pub as in 2012
  • (Lannister ki kami mein poori kiye deta hun.)

Bhaisaab aap log marks aane tak ruk jao bas.May 3rd week?
    Fir karna itni baatein.
    I am too flabbergasted by ours truly UPSC but yet holding my horses before questioning anything.
    what if compulsaries did me?
    What if essay score nosedived?
    What if gs 4 plummeted?
    What if combined gs was not good enough?
    What if geog 1 human part betrayed me?
    What if lack of room for geographically explaining stuff in geog 2 brought me on my knees?
    What if i missed by 5?
    What if i missed by 50?

I have no clear answer.
    Groping in the dark is not we would recommend to others.
    God is there or not, no one knows.Its a waste of time if we target an imagined construct for personal inadequacies.
    Ek baar marks aa jayein fir aaeeyega yahan.Tab mat kehna ki yaar abhi prelim par focus karna hai.
    Best analysis will be possible only then.Keep your expected marks written.Then see.

Kaisa bhi aadmi Mains clear kar sakta hai.Good or bad.If you are good and yet out,accept it and improve.There is something wrong.

.I went to interview last year.This year out.There was a difference in the way I approached the papers.

Mast raho bhai log.Things do go wrong.
    Watch Martian again.You'll feel better.

Enjoy life.Make new friends.Be a good person.That is more important.

Cheers
    Merey goley par UPSC nahi hai!!
  • edited February 2016
    u prayed to god to help u clear this exam?? really?? hehe...god knew u were gonna curse him if he failed u...n u did exactly that...even worse...so u hv failed in his test...n now he will never ever help u in anything in life...so now u ll remain an athiest...and this will destroy ur karma in this birth...and this will affect ur fate in nxt birth..n then again u ll curse god...n vicious cycle f birth n rebirth will follow...kabhi bina kisi iccha ke ishwar ko yaad karo...wo jarur sunenge ...

badri tum abhi balak ho...tmko gyan dene aaye hain :D
  • edited February 2016
    As long as there is subjectivity in the evaluation process, no amount of sweet-talking by UPSC apologists would remove the clouds of doubt regarding the veracity of this said process. UPSC should honestly look into an objective CS mains in the future. Writing skills can be tested by qualifying essay-type papers. The rankings should be based on mcqs. And, they must release the answer kesy sooner and omrs on request.

You cannot run an opaque organisation and expect people to take the authenticity of your process for granted. The very fact that they refuse the give out answer scripts and omrs clearly proves that they have something that they desperately want to keep under the wraps.

The doubts regarding the exam is the doing of UPSC itself and it is its democratic responsibility to allay these apprehensions forthwith unless it wants to go against the very constitutional values it asks aspirants to inculcate ad nauseam.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • i know a guy who deals with second hand bazookas. :)
    anybody?
  • http://iksa.in/upsc/explained-cse-mains-papers-evaluated-upsc/1832/

it even lists why upsc doesn't shows evaluated answer sheets to candidates
  • Etat said:

As long as there is subjectivity in the evaluation process, no amount of sweet-talking by UPSC apologists would remove the clouds of doubt regarding the veracity of this said process. UPSC should honestly look into an objective CS mains in the future. Writing skills can be tested by qualifying essay-type papers. The rankings should be based on mcqs. And, they must release the answer kesy sooner and omrs on request.

You cannot run an opaque organisation and expect people to take the authenticity of your process for granted. The very fact that they refuse the give out answer scripts and omrs clearly proves that they have something that they desperately want to keep under the wraps.

The doubts regarding the exam is the doing of UPSC itself and it is its democratic responsibility to allay these apprehensions forthwith unless it wants to go against the very constitutional values it asks aspirants to inculcate ad nauseam.

With all due respect to one of the most venerated members of the forum..........whatever be the examination pattern it is a competitive exam and there shall always be more much more aspirants than successful ones at every stage.............about luck chance God statistics...............life begins with a random event (can't predict which sperm won the race....yeah quoting from 3 idiots ;) ).............. quantum mechanics all point to a certain chance or randomness in the dealings of the universe..............Einstien had his doubts when he said GOD doesn't play dice (against the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics )............ but as Stephen Hawking puts it........God/Nature might turn out to be an inveterate gambler.................................

As far as the process is concerned can always be debated....but objective Mains seems a remote possibility...........merely resolving ties..............n litigation on quirky fuzzy questions the kind UPSC throws up impishly might bog down the whole process...............

And the feeling of frustration at failure would emain even in That examination pattern because everyone wont be successful.......................Infact it is wrong to see its as failure......its more of not being selected.............Pass n Fail concept applies to academic exams (mostly intended to pass ie achieve a desirable level in the examinees)...........you are either selected or not in competitive exams..........so in my humble opinion everyone must keep a backup just like you have...or i have... :) ............... making an exam the raison d 'etre of one's existence is a sure recipe for frustration (Not that I haven't passed through that stage ). I dont want to quote Gita cause that would become too sanctimonious n more of a pontification
  • iampk said:

.I went to interview last year.This year out.There was a difference in the way I approached the papers.

Mast raho bhai log.Things do go wrong.
    Watch Martian again.You'll feel better.

Enjoy life.Make new friends.Be a good person.That is more important.

Cheers

wt ws d dfrnce in approach?if nt here plspsls pls ....Pm me !:pdamn curious.! @iampk
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog