MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

Maths guys who failed/cleared Mains 2015

Hi Guys, I am thinking to change optional from Geog to Maths...so want to know the challenges faced in preparation, books, notes etc.
·

Comments

• # same here...
    ·
  • @sum161 What was your graduation subject?How much of the syllabus do you already know?
    Books: Follow Rajpurohit sir's book list. Link is https://prakashrajpurohit.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/mathematics-book-list/
    Notes: Notes are there of some coaching institutes but it is better if you follow books.
    If you have any specific questions in mind please ask.
    ·
  • edited March 2016
    Not a good idea bro !!
    But still this blog is the best source
    ·
  • @balthesar i am a civil engg..hav studied maths at engineering level, hv taken few maths courses as elective but dont remember any of them now...
    about the syllabus: i dont know any topic complete but hav elementary idea of few topics like linear algebra, coordinate etc.

notes about me:
    I am well versed in maths upto class XII..even though so many years have passed since class XII, i remember most of the topics....i was always interested in maths even in my colg..opted for maths courses wherever i had a choice..but this upsc thing is a diff game altogether so i got scared and followed people's advice blindly and chose geog (though i was never attracted towards the subject)..i joined coaching in vajiram, initially i felt i am able to grasp it and once coaching will finish i will mug up entire notes, but after studying fr around 2 yrs i feel its not my cup of tea..

Since its been 2 yrs i left my job, i want to clear cse this time. So I want to know whether maths can assure me some guarantee or not.. what i know abt myself is I have always been interested in maths and can study or think over it longer than any other subject
    ·
  • Guys pl also give info about this yrs maths optional paper..i hv heard it was most difficult in recent years and ppl having maths as graduation were the only one who were comfortable
    ·
  • Maths is a clear cut option.
    No subjetivity at all.
    ·
  • @sum161 while it is true that i have a degree in Math, i wasn't comfortable with the paper at all. In fact I thought the case was the exact opposite since in Paper II, every question in Section B had a physics question, about which core Math people have no freaking idea. This is entirely my personal opinion about the paper.
    Discovery.
    ·
  • @sum161 it takes around 8 months to prepare mathematics optional.The preparation will certainly take a major chunk of your time of preparation if you are thinking of appearing in exam this year with mathematics optional.Also as @ramon has already pointed out there is no subjectivity at all, ie. if you have properly attempted the question writing all the steps in solution and have arrived at the correct answer you certainly shall get marks.Also, as @shilpi123 has pointed out this year there was quite a mixing in the paper so you can not leave any unit thinking of preparing it only from 10 marker point of view.This said, there are some units in mathematics syllabus which you will find tough like modern algebra but most can be easily managed. This is entirely my personal opinion about the paper. So my advice is start with easy units like ODE, calculus, vectors and try to see if this optional suits you.
    ·
  • sum161 said:

@balthesar i am a civil engg..hav studied maths at engineering level, hv taken few maths courses as elective but dont remember any of them now...
    about the syllabus: i dont know any topic complete but hav elementary idea of few topics like linear algebra, coordinate etc.

notes about me:
    I am well versed in maths upto class XII..even though so many years have passed since class XII, i remember most of the topics....i was always interested in maths even in my colg..opted for maths courses wherever i had a choice..but this upsc thing is a diff game altogether so i got scared and followed people's advice blindly and chose geog (though i was never attracted towards the subject)..i joined coaching in vajiram, initially i felt i am able to grasp it and once coaching will finish i will mug up entire notes, but after studying fr around 2 yrs i feel its not my cup of tea..

Since its been 2 yrs i left my job, i want to clear cse this time. So I want to know whether maths can assure me some guarantee or not.. what i know abt myself is I have always been interested in maths and can study or think over it longer than any other subject

Best things abt Maths and Science subjects is that Success is predictable.
    Prelims: 5. Mains: 3. Interview: 2. Service: 1.
    ·
  • Maths is like your wife, you have to loyal with subject ..you cannot take it for granted .. you have to devote more time then GS and any other optional subject .. and more important, you have to like that subject and practise a lot, else you may end up scoring less than 50 as well .. So, if you really have interest and ready to give more time to the subject, go with the maths optional, else there's no point in taking the subject ..
    Simplicity is the real beauty ..
    ·
  • @amethyst ....100'/, right bro.
    Gulf@mexico
    ·
  • @Keshaw have you covered Fourier Transform, Z Transform? its not mentioned anywhere in the syllabus . And even let me know about Fourier Series as well . Do we need to cover all these part??
    ·
  • Thinking to switch optional from history to maths...preparation time ll b from mid March to Dec 2016 also wrkng in government sector so I ll study part time n mostly ll take leave aftr pre..it it possible to manage maths in such situations?? Gave four mains wit history BT till nw could nt finish history syllabus as due to SM personal n family reasons in evry attempt..BT still like 50% history I knw..BT in case of maths I m almost like new..maths ws fav till 12th always scored 98-99..in engg smhw neglected BT may b if I hv focused study I think I could hv perform in engg too in maths...plz giv ur opinions if I shd take maths optional...
    ·
  • @apps24 it's Great that you had interest in math till XII, but math as an optional in upsc is a different game altogether esp sice 2015 mains paper.
    However, it will definitely give a different experience from history. If you can manage some long hours for 6-8 months, this subject could work for you.
    Good luck.
    Discovery.
    ·
  • @amethyst . Yeah I have covered Laplace...as it is only mentioned in Syllabus for solving ODE's . Fourier & laplace is not in maths Syllabus.. But you have to use Fourier half range formula while solving PDE ...First of all best part is to scan the entire Syllabus and make grip over those topics gradually...GOOD LUCK.
    Gulf@mexico
    ·
  • Sorry fourier + z transform not in syllabus
    Gulf@mexico
    ·
  • Thanks @Keshaw .. All the Best to you too .
    ·
  • anyone who needs IMS maths complete optional notes,can message me.
    ·
  • rrm said:

anyone who needs IMS maths complete optional notes,can message me.

bro i want maths optional material ..if have plz call me-8288831456

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google