How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class
Current Affairs ( Pre + Mains ) 2019 | 4 Aug | Attend First 3 Classes Free ForumIAS Weekly Current Affairs Classes commence from Saturday, 4 August, 5AM, at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.We invite you to attend the first three classes free
CLICK HERE to register for attending the classes on August 4, 5 and 11.

Interview Questions: Why do you want to join Civil Services?

This question is often asked by New boards. After 1-2 years boards do not ask such questions because of the monotony of the answers received - unless they have an extraordinary profile with guys quitting 150K+ USD jobs to join Civil Services.

So how will you answer this question?

Why do you want to join Civil Services/ IAS?

Note that there is a standard reply to it, and then there is a bad reply to it - that cost you marks. Also, reply to this thread only to give an answer that you would give to the board.

#interview-discussion
*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I want to join civil service because it gives a chance where i can see the direct effect of my hard work.currently in my profession as a soft ware engg dosnt give me that chance . what ever the profit or the effect of the labour that i put in is visible to the clients in some othwr country.. Instead i want to make count of that effort to my socity where i leave.

Secondly a civil servents job is vwry prestigious job in our country along with authority , which i feel is very important in todays world to bring in substancial changes.. Some times i feel some people dosnt want yo listen you if you are not some one important even my idea is good or for benefits of all..

@Neyawn please comment . if its ok to say like this in interview..
  • ●Sir/Mam i love d diversity,challenge n oppertunity for adminstration associated wid dis service.I know d carrer oppertunity which i m sacrificimg being researchr n being lecturer is still highly rewarding.
    But being a civil servant if i will b implementing policies n progrms wid Transparency,accountability,intigrity n honesty n will see smile on faces of underprivilege,i will achieve real happiness n satisfection.

●Yes sir/mam being ngo as well dere will b oppertunity for social service.But ngo doesnt have authority,I may face financial crunches,i will also not b highly time bound to do dis in limited time period.i may lack sense f urgency for doing something with full efficiency.but in adminstration i will b hold accountable to people,media,political executive etc.

●No sir/mam i don demean research n lecturership.infect what ever i may become in future it will b ol becoz f my Educational values n knoweledge.But sir/mam neither in research nor in lecturership i will b getting immediate reward for my investment.

●Yes sir even if I dont qualify for Ias n get some othr allied services i will b going for upsc..which i have definite reasons.
  • for social status, prestige, job dynamics & challenges and job satisfaction and an opportunity to do something that have direct impact on our nation.

-pls give feedback, whether i should give a long speech or just one line answer is enough/...
    Our survival instinct is our single greatest source of inspiration. - Dr. Mann
  • edited February 2016
    Sir my hankering for this covetous service gets impetus from diverse sources including Nature of service, My familial environment, My past experiences (with prevailing Corruption Cancer at grass roots) and my present observations about societal attitudes towards this job as well as its compatibility with my own Nature and future plans.

Sir in my view Scope of opportunities,Diversity of challanges and Quantum of Impact you can can make in your roles- these 3 attributes differentiate civil services from other corporate/PSU/NGO jobs.

And this all is the magnet which attracted me towards this dream journey. :)

@Neyawn and others ?????
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • I want to work in Madhya Pradesh and live close to my parents. Given my educational and work experience in a very capital and skill intensive industry (semiconductors), there are no opportunities in Madhya Pradesh. Civil Services offers me an excellent path way to live close to my parents and at the same time do something positive for my own district and state (especially important due to MP's poor social indicators). How is that?
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe -
  • abhinitb said:

I want to work in Madhya Pradesh and live close to my parents. Given my educational and work experience in a very capital and skill intensive industry (semiconductors), there are no opportunities in Madhya Pradesh. Civil Services offers me an excellent path way to live close to my parents and at the same time do something positive for my own district and state (especially important due to MP's poor social indicators). How is that?

I think you may be trapped with this reply dude..then apply for MPPSC..this is All India Services.. how can be you so sure that you get MP cadre..you may be thrown in NE also !! Then what will you do ??... be ready for such attacks..i don't think this is a satisfactory answer for Board just bcz its truth :)

• I will refrain from giving any feedback since I have not scored even average marks in both my Interviews, but here are a few things.

1. Try being as brief as possible in your answers
    2. Never a long speech

This is an opinion and may be wrong.

I often wondered why a long answer is heavily looked down upon by the bureaucracy - even if you have the gift of gab -and have benefited all your life from it.

Then I worked with a District Magistrate and attended and chaired meetings at district level. Here is the thing. At all govt meetings, whenever people have not done a work - they give a long answer. So a bureaucrat usually suspects lack of content when a long answer is give.

Example, - The DM has to submit a report on how many bank accounts have been opened under PMJDY. I was implementing it and I also used to chair some meetings with Banks, and block level and Panchayat level officers + Bank Managers used to be there.

Question: How many bank new account have you opened in your Panachayat since last meeting ( one month ago )

( The DM has to fill a performa and needs to send a number to the Central Govt. And if you are lousy, be prepared to listen to some harsh words from Principal Secy in the meeting via Video Conference - even if you are the DM )

Correct Answer : Zero

The Answer given by junior officers : Sir since last meeting we reported that central govt has issued a universal form issued in newspaper which any person can cut from the newspaper and put the bank name and submit for account opening. Since there was a shortage of bank branded account opening forms with public sector banks in the district so it was decided that we will allow people to use the universal forms - which can be cut from paper or xerox will do. Banks also said that yes we will accept it.

But sir banks are now not accepting it because RBI has issued the circuclar asking banks to accept the form, but banks dont have any such direction from their HQ. Also sir, the univeral form is not scanable and machine readable, so when we submitted 5000 forms in last month itself, bank said they dont have enough manpower to manually type the data from form and put it in computer for account opening. And sir bank scanning machines are not designed to read from universal form. They can only scan and read data from the form prescribed by the bank . So all 5000 forms are keptas it is with bank

DM ka dimag garam. The performa which he has to send does not have so much space to fill all this. The performa says enter a number . He blasts at the officer - Jo puchha so bataiye - Kitna account khula? ( Answer what I asked - How many accounts have been opened? )

Junior officer says - Sir as we said bank is not accepting...............................................................................................some 200 words.

DM - fuming with anger - bloody tell me what to write here zero, 50, 100, 5000 ?

Junior Officer - Aisi baat nahi hai Sir that no account have been opened. About 100 have been opened.

DM - tell me an exact number ...

This thing goes on...until the DM insults everyone in the room like anything.

What happens in the Video Conf with Secretary to Govt of India is another matter . But a bureaucrat is conditioned not to accept anything beyond a few lines because he has lived his life hearing stories. Especially if you meet senior IPS officers, they will be even more objective.

Now I told you this story.Moral : Don't tell stories. Be objective. 1-2 lines answers, not more than that. Primary reason why people with good communication skills are sometimes penalised is because they know so much and want to express so much but the listener has limited capacity.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited February 2016
    @Neyawn Sir ji thanks for this above comment..

Meri NAA to Communication skills acchi hai.. Aur NAA mujhe thik se bolna aata hai...
    Main vaise hi ghabraa jata hoon bolne mein..

Mujhe jo seekhna tha, wo aapne bahut hi acchi tarah se aapke is comment mein likh diya hai..

Again thanks a million @Neyawn Sir ji
  • I want to join civil services because I am a bad engineer reason being I was always much more interested in humanities from my childhood days but did the mistake of joining the flock.I had not that wisdom of taking a good decision after class 10.and in humanities field I feel civil service is the best option for me as it provides prestige,responsibility and a range of opportunities .this is the exact reply that I will give.feedback please..
  • TonyStark said:

for social status, prestige, job dynamics & challenges and job satisfaction and an opportunity to do something that have direct impact on our nation.

-pls give feedback, whether i should give a long speech or just one line answer is enough/...

I think u r in PSU of ur core graduation subject:
    They will say how do u think IDAS (I think u would have filled) is more dynamic and challenging. Then something like u got carried away (last yr gupta sir told me same)
    same for job satisfaction and impact on nation.
  • TonyStark said:

for social status, prestige, job dynamics & challenges and job satisfaction and an opportunity to do something that have direct impact on our nation.

They will say how do u think IDAS (I think u would have filled) is more dynamic and challenging. Then something like u got carried away (last yr gupta sir told me same)
    Gupta Sir was intimidating everyone last year. He looked super dissatisfied with everyone. You are not alone :)

You can read his Interview questions here

http://forumias.com/portal/interview-2015-16-download-interview-transcripts-h-c-gupta-board/
  • TonyStark said:

yes i have filled IDAS....but have no idea about the job..tough question for me...if such specific questions are asked then how should one reply?
    Our survival instinct is our single greatest source of inspiration. - Dr. Mann
  • TonyStark said:

TonyStark said:

yes i have filled IDAS....but have no idea about the job..tough question for me...if such specific questions are asked then how should one reply?
    we should prepare each and every aspect of what is written in DAF.
    I told about defense acquisition delay due to bureaucracy and role in it. More rule bound as every time fear of cag cvc etc still speeding up the process etc.
    Though not satisfied with my answer fortunately he hasn't asked follow up question.
  • edited February 2016

I want to join civil services because I am a bad engineer reason being I was always much more interested in humanities from my childhood days but did the mistake of joining the flock.I had not that wisdom of taking a good decision after class 10.and in humanities field I feel civil service is the best option for me as it provides prestige,responsibility and a range of opportunities .this is the exact reply that I will give.feedback please..

NEVER criticize. Even if you are bad at something, don't say you are bad, say you want to improve.

Something negative (like you being a bad engineer) should not be the reason behind your pursuit for Civil Services. It would be suicidal. If I were in the panel, my next question would be what makes you so sure that you would not be bad a civil servant? How can you convince me that your pursuit of Civil Services is not "joining the flock" and you have realized that Civil Services is indeed your true calling? If 4-5 years down the line you realize yourself a bad bureaucrat, you will run after something else.

Project a positive personality/attitude, ALWAYS. Even for things which are seemingly negative, say you would make an effort to act as positive change agent.

Also in general, and not just for the sake of the interview, maintain a positive attitude. Get over this negativity that you are a bad engineer. Most of us are. :p But don't fret over it and tell it to others.
    I too have this habit. I always fear about negative results. It doesn't help. Now I am engineering an attitude transplant in me, staying positive and being hopeful, no matter the circumstances. Good Luck.
    I knew the moment had arrived,
    For killing the past and Coming Back to Life.
  • @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh

bhai aise to everyone answers questions in interview jaise sab IAS/IPS banenge. Ye kaun bolta hai will improve post office service delivery?
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe -
  • To be a part of the government which aids in formulating & implementing policies which have a larger societal impact.
  • @RamadhirSingh if I cut down that portion of bad engineer do you think it will work fine ?frankly speaking ,only reason I am giving civils because I love its syllabus.
  • edited February 2016
    danton said:

To be a part of the government which aids in formulating & implementing policies which have a larger societal impact.

+1000..

This is called an answer for UPSC CSE interview .....

Thumps Up ..

Ek line mein short and sweet tarike se bolo , baat khatam ......

Fir aage agar koi counter question hota hai , to uska jawaab de dena chahiye , isi tarah se ....

• edited February 2016
    I want to join civil services because this is one job where you can influence so many people, make changes to their lives and make them happy. Public service is the main reason.

In my current job what I am doing is simple existence, its mere survival, living for myself or for my family, maybe it does do some good to my country in someway. But I cannot imagine myself doing this same thing for next 30 years. Job satisfaction and feeling of a meaningful life is not there.

Civil services gives that chance, its challenges, its impact, its prestige and feeling of a well-lived life are the main attractions for choosing civil services.
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
  • Q: why civil services?
    A: Sir, our nation is progressing at an unprecedented speed and I don't want to be mere spectator. I want to participate.
    Q: But there are no of other ways. Why this only?
    A: yes sir there are , but prestige, authority, impact and diversity associated is unparallel.

• edited February 2016
    ragy380 said:

Q: why civil services?
    A: Sir, our nation is progressing at an unprecedented speed and I don't want to be mere spectator. I want to participate.
    A: yes sir there are , but prestige, authority, impact and diversity associated is unparallel.

+1 ..
  • @abhinitb said:

@Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh

bhai aise to everyone answers questions in interview jaise sab IAS/IPS banenge. Ye kaun bolta hai will improve post office service delivery?

I'm not saying bro that you are wrong.. i just say you May Be trapped.. be ready for such kind of counter attacks..!!..if you can justify your stand then it doesn't matter where you stand..in interview.. hope you got me ??

• ragy380 said:

Q: why civil services?

+1 ..
    What if you are not selected? How will you participate then?Will you give up?...let's assume this is the follow up question.. How will you answer then.
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
  • @RamadhirSingh if I cut down that portion of bad engineer do you think it will work fine ?frankly speaking ,only reason I am giving civils because I love its syllabus.

Honestly, I'd say NO, don't say this as the reason. Preparation for Civil Services (and the syllabus) is just part of the process; it is not, and should not be, the goal in itself.
    Preparation is transient, short term. Your career is long term.

Once you make it to the services, you won't prepare any further. What would be your motivation then? What is that thing/feeling/sentiment that would keep you going on; to get out of the bed and go to work every day? Certainly not Polity or Economy or Red List or Laxmikanth or Economic Survey or Mrunal or ForumIAS, right?

Stick with the other reasons you mentioned in your earlier post; 'prestige, responsibility and a range of opportunities'.
    This is fine, no harm in admitting that you are in this for prestige.
    Or you can list career progression, diversity of roles, challenges in the job, authority and associated responsibility, prestige as some of the reasons for your choice. Add that social impact of administrative services is an added advantage.
    I knew the moment had arrived,
    For killing the past and Coming Back to Life.
  • Why u want to join civil service

India is a democratic country and in this system, power confers with the people.
    The power is exercised by those representative who have command to manage them for particular period
    The civil servant through his knowledge and understanding of public affairs implement the policies which are necessary for the welfare of the society and helps in enhancement of the nation.
    Civil servant has a close relation with the society which help them to adopt ethical practice to solve the problem of public

Thats why i want to be a part of civil servant
    Tumne Jo Meri Kabr Par, Aakar Yun Muskura Diya Bijli Chamak Kar Gir Padi, Sara Kafan Jala Diya…… Main So Raha Tha Chain Se, Yun Hi Kafan E Mazaar Mein, Yahan Bhi Sataane Aa Gaye, Kisne Pata Bata Diya…… Tumne Chadhaye Phool To, Ehsaan Kya Kiya Humne Tumhare Ishq Mein, Sara Chaman Luta Diya….
  • edited February 2016
    I would answer in two parts,

Things that i would offer to the position of a civil servant,

I am looking forward to a career in civil services by virtue of my interests, aptitude, skills and current circumstances.

I think the outcome of any work largely depends on the extent of consistent motivation in the process.
    My interests(diplomacy and administration) would be the fuel to keep the fire of motivation burning throughout my stint as a civil servant.

I would quote certain things from my daf to justify that my natural abilities(aptitude) and skills(experience) can be invaluable assets for a bureaucrat.

Things that a career in civil service can offer to me,

Any job which is done with impeccable integrity, discipline and determination can establish immense sense of satisfaction and respect both from within and the society. So would this job do for me.

I personally feel that this job would enable me to grow up as a person exactly like how i have always dreamt from a very tender age. After all the hard work, when dreams become reality, we tend to become more mature and motivated due to which we can squeeze a lot out of this life.

35 years down the lane, when i would look back, i am sure i would be smiling with no regrets.That is why i want a career in civil services. :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • I can find only 4-5 boards transcripts in forumias portal... Plz, can anyone direct me to get Vinay Mortal, Kilemsungla and other board transcripts?
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
  • Vakkoda said:

I can find only 4-5 boards transcripts in forumias portal... Plz, can anyone direct me to get Vinay Mortal, Kilemsungla and other board transcripts?

same request from my side @ForumIAS admin @root @Neyawn please post all the remaining 4-5 boards like kilemsungla mam vinay mittal etc waiting for those remaining posts
  • I want to join civil services because I am a bad engineer reason being I was always much more interested in humanities from my childhood days but did the mistake of joining the flock.I had not that wisdom of taking a good decision after class 10.and in humanities field I feel civil service is the best option for me as it provides prestige,responsibility and a range of opportunities .this is the exact reply that I will give.feedback please..

NEVER criticize. Even if you are bad at something, don't say you are bad, say you want to improve.

Something negative (like you being a bad engineer) should not be the reason behind your pursuit for Civil Services. It would be suicidal. If I were in the panel, my next question would be what makes you so sure that you would not be bad a civil servant? How can you convince me that your pursuit of Civil Services is not "joining the flock" and you have realized that Civil Services is indeed your true calling? If 4-5 years down the line you realize yourself a bad bureaucrat, you will run after something else.

Project a positive personality/attitude, ALWAYS. Even for things which are seemingly negative, say you would make an effort to act as positive change agent.

Also in general, and not just for the sake of the interview, maintain a positive attitude. Get over this negativity that you are a bad engineer. Most of us are. :p But don't fret over it and tell it to others.
    I too have this habit. I always fear about negative results. It doesn't help. Now I am engineering an attitude transplant in me, staying positive and being hopeful, no matter the circumstances. Good Luck.
    +1
    There is an absolute hegemony of English.
  • Sorry for being blunt, but I find a lot of totally off the marks answers here. Are people above ^^ trying to answer the question as they will reply to the board or trying to speak their hearts?

In my limited experience, you wont get so much time to speak. Keep it short. The best answer is - It provides a good career choice. At a young age one is entrusted with so much decision making and responsibility, which does not exist in any other sector. Nature of job is challenging and it provides a lot of diversity in work profile. And if you want to add something, you may say - My parents also inspired me to take this up as a career opportunity. But dont say the last line if you are 30+ balding male and look older.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog