43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening) & 29th June (Morning) ; Registration open
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website :- www.mitrasias.com

[Optional] Public Administration for Mains 2016 covering previous years Questions

Hello guys,
I know there has been many threads on Public Administration and till now there has not been one created for 2016 Mains (serious one where seniors discuss). I wish to start this thread where we can take up previous year questions and answer them in short note and share our views on any specific topic. Please keep this thread out of bakar discussion. Here people are free to discuss any random topic of public administration and need not to keep themselves well organised provided they clarify their views under clear title. I hope that this thread will work as the earlier thread which was started same time in 2015.

" Don't pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one "
·

Comments

• Let's start with unit 1
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
    ·
  • please share important blogs and websites links for pubad like lohitmatani etc
    ·
  • dosto multiple thread mat banao...lets do all this on one thread,beginner wale thread pe start kerlo otherwise @doodlebean mam waala or else any one particular thread...and with some schedule as randomness defeat the purpose of systematic way of study.
    ·
  • # My few suggestions

1. If we see the previous year questions and the discussion that follows on forum then one gets a sense that we are spending more time on paper 1 compare to paper 2 . Nonetheless people are scoring more in paper 1 than paper 2 rightly so because most of the time is spent on paper 1 (this is my observation and i can be wrong).So my suggestion is that this time we can begin from paper 2 onward and make sure that we can increase the probability of scoring more marks in paper 2 as well(which seems so).

2. Yes, we should be structured, organised and scheduled oriented where we have a timeline to cover the syllabus at-least twice before the prelims.

3. 2-3 kind of discussion can be held under this thread. First, where we discuss the previous year question paper under any specific topic. Second, where make questions on our own after going through any specific topic(by making an assessment of previous years questions)( I know it's not that easy but we can be creative). Third, we can simply share some perspective of any topic like that has been under some other thread( Prelims 2016 Thread of Sleeplessnight1989).

Please give your suggestions.

" Don't pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one "
    ·
  • # If we agree to begin from paper 2 then

1. We can give 3 days to one topic (like Evolution of Indian Administration ~ 8,9,10 feb). if we follow in this way then may be we will be able to finish paper 2 within 50 days and can spend more time for paper 1 (which is required).

2. If something is left during a discussion then that part can be covered by giving some 5-10 days in the end to clarify our doubts.

3. We should keep our notes and answers very short, precise, question oriented and to the point.

Please do give your suggestions.

·
  • ok lets start..but many topics in paper 2 needs brush up from paper-1..anyway i guess this thread is more for revision so it can work..
    ·
  • yeah i find it interesting to start from paper 2 , When to start ?
    ·
  • For paper-2 Aribam or Arora & Goyal can be used.
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
    ·
  • edited February 2016
    Starting with Kautilyan Adminstration.

Focus on:
    1. Saptanga Theory of administration

2. Mandala theory

1. Saptanga Theory of administration: describes all seven organs of state
    Swami
    Amatya
    Janpada
    Durga
    Kosh
    Danda
    Mitra

Code to remember: SAJ DK DM (saj dhaj ke DM sahab chale)

2. Mandala Theory
    Your neighbour is your natural enemy and the neighbour's neighbour is your friend”.
    In other words,the immediate neighbours are considered as enemies but any state on the other side of a neighbouring state is regarded as an ally, or, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Now. don't you think Pakistan and India are actually following Mandala theory wrt each-other .(Your neighbor is your natural enemy principle)
    ·
  • edited February 2016
    evolution of indian administration should now be studied from a wider perspective. Involving ideas of Mahatma Gandhi etc., and contemporary Pulin Garg et al.

Mahatma Gandhi

1. Trusteeship Theory : Trusteeship is a socio-economic philosophy that was propounded by Mahatma Gandhi. It provides a means by which the wealthy people would be the trustees of trusts that looked after the welfare of the people in general.

This idea can in need be also framed as the people with voice speaking up for voiceless.

2. Oceanic Circles Model: Bottom up , grass root approach.

bring in 73rd amendment etc. , Can also use Lipsky street level bureaucracy ( study of poverty alleviation), decentralization.

Case study

People Plan Campaign, Kerala : bottom up planning led to major breakthrough as Kudumbshree etc.
    ·
  • edited February 2016
    # Kautilya's Administrative State

Duties of the King

1. Protection of the subjects and their property. This is called raksana or palana.Protection is from both, natural calamities and anti-social elements.

2. To ensure their Yogakshema ( the idea of welfare, well-being, prosperity and happiness.)
    Remember this line "In the happiness of the subjects lies the happiness of the king"

3. To take active part in war and the administration of justice.

4. Appointments to the most important offices and laying down the broad lines of policy and issuing codes of regulation, dharmaniyama, for the guidance of his officers and the people.

5. Undertake other activities such as setubandha building of bridges and irrigational works, vraja providing pastures for livestock, vanikpatha opening trade routes, khani working of mines etc.

6. The sale of commodities, whether indigenous or imported, should be arranged in such a way that subjects are benefited thereby.

7. When the subjects are struck by calamity, he should take care of them like their father. The ideal set before the ruler is that of paternalistic rule.

8. Protection of the social order founded on the system of varnas or asramas. It is the ruler's duty to see that each one carries out the duties of the varna to which he belongs , according to the vedic way of life.( Despite the fact that the Vedic religion was emphasized, id doesn't mean that it was a theocratic state. No organised theocratic body was there to intervene in the affairs of the state.)

9. State has to maintain minors, the aged and those in distress. It can also be justifiably maintained that the Arthashastra state is neither a police state nor merely a tax gathering state.

10. danda - coercive power, use of force or punishment - is the symbol of the ruler's authority and is extremely necessary to prevent anarchy and to protect the weak against the strong. ( The threat of a revolt is expected to serve as a check on the wanton use of coercive power.)

11. To appoints and removes ministers and assigns task to them. King sets the tone of the whole administration.

·
  • For Paper-2 topics: Content coverage and previous years question. can be invested few hours here.

·
  • @IWRA , the videos are awesomme . Thanks
    ·
  • Q: "The protagonists of NPM argue that introduction of market mechanisms in the public system is necessary to change the face of existing public administration." (20)

Ans: Administrative systems have changed globally with the changing nature of politics as follows:
    Police State (Coercive Administration) -> Laissez Fairism (Non Interfering State) -> Welfare State (Bureaucratic State).
    It was in 1960's that there was witnessing of increasing failure of welfare state. This was majorly because of following reasons:
    1. Bureaucracy had expanded hugely and become almost unmanageable
    2. Increasing influence and acceptance of the new right philosophy
    These protagonists argued that the Bureaucracy is inherently inefficient and is self maximizer. The absence of disciplinary power of competition was one the prominent factors behind the failure.
    They further took a political economic approach to reinvent, re-engineer and reorganize the public administration. As per them the introduction of market practices in the state and rolling back of state could be pivotal for success of public administration. Allowing private players to participate in the service delivery could increase the productivity of the state and also empower the customer with the power of choice. Further this would also provide an emphasis to decentralized decision making and the unit of decision making would change from group to individual.
    Although the concept of NPM truly realizes the deficiencies of existing public administration but its value free orientation is a cause of concern. The state should ensure that it does not become subservient to the markettized pressures of generating profit. Rather there is a need to ensure that the constitutional values do not lose their relevance and a Small but strong state is established.
    ·
  • Pub ad experts please review the answer.
    ·
  • edited February 2016
    @gloomydespair : you may mention Algore committee report : Due to NPA fiscal deficit increased, oversized bureaucracy ,self-aggrandizement of pubic servants,lost public trust. NPM came up with market mechanisms such as good pay structure,appraisals,open for competition other you already mentioned.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google