ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Books to prepare English for SSC- CGL?

Though I have english as my academic medium, but last year i missed the cut off by 3 marks. After introspection, i think i was losing out on some english questions. Please recommend some english book which has high yield material.
Thanks in advance
·

Comments

• Help me out in Quantitative bro...i attempted last year tier 2 maths paper and most of question are going bouncer.
    Tell your Detailed strategy for maths
    Never Out of Fight
    ·
  • Help me out in Quantitative bro...i attempted last year tier 2 maths paper and most of question are going bouncer.
    Tell your Detailed strategy for maths

My maths has been fairly good since school times bhai... engineer hun upar se. Maths ke liye kuch padha nhi bas 2-3 paper solve kiye the
    ·
  • KP Thakur's A Practical Guide to English Grammar ( Bharti Bhavan Publisher ) . Price - 180/- . Anglo-Hindi . Can be understood by all . Very useful for Articles , Sub-Verb agreement , Direct-Indirect , Active-Passive .

Plinth to Paramount by Neetu Singh ( Available in Hindi as well.as English Medium ) Vol - I and Vol-II . Useful for Sub-Verb Agreement , Conditional sentences , Adjectives , Infinitive , Question Tags and other misc. topics for practice. Vol-II has practice sets of Sentence Arrangement , Cloze test etc.

Practical English Usage - Michael Swan . The best book . Oxford University Press . Disadvantage - Too detailed and will take minimum 3-6 months to be completed .

J C Nesfield & NK Aggarwala - High School Grammar and Composition (McMillan). An average book in my opinion but buying it won't be a bad choice if you don't have any of the above books . If you have any of the above books , this book won't be of much help as the topics that this books covers well are covered well by other books also . So no added advantage .

SP Bakshi(Arihant) / Lucent / A Mirror of common errors - Recommended by many . I haven't taken a look at these . So I can't say anything about their usefulness .

There is a book by the name of Objective English by McGraw Hill . Do skim through it if you visit a book store .

Choose 2 books at max from the above list . And solve previous year papers Mock papers .

I have been using KP Thakur Plinth to Paramount . I scored 150 in 2014,14Kolkata Region, 13re-exam,13,12 English Mains paper . Score 160 and 173 in two of them .

Expecting 150 in 2015 Mains English paper . Yet I won't clear the exam as my score in Maths is likely to be 80-90/200 .
    ·
  • I scored 150 in 2014,14Kolkata Region, 13re-exam,13,12 English Mains paper . Score 160 and 173 in two of them .

Expecting 150 in 2015 Mains English paper . Yet I won't clear the exam as my score in Maths is likely to be 80-90/200 .

Read '150+' in place of '150'
    ·
  • Free Study material on Flizzindia and www.ssc-cgl2015.in
    ·
  • Though I have english as my academic medium, but last year i missed the cut off by 3 marks. After introspection, i think i was losing out on some english questions. Please recommend some english book which has high yield material.
    Thanks in advance

For English, try attempting maximum questions in mains(as negative is only 1/4th)-say 180+. For that, practice last 5 years mains English papers and analyze them. Active passive, direct indirect speech etc ko dekh lo theek se. Kiran Publication wali book would help a lot. Reading Hindu editorials daily would also help..
    Expecting 170 in english and 80/90 in Maths. 120 or so in pre I had. Unlikely to clear.
    Would prepare Maths properly like time after pre..
    ·
  • sir maths ke liye best book bataiye tier1 and 2 ke liye
    ·
  • Though I have english as my academic medium, but last year i missed the cut off by 3 marks. After introspection, i think i was losing out on some english questions. Please recommend some english book which has high yield material.
    Thanks in advance

For English, try attempting maximum questions in mains(as negative is only 1/4th)-say 180+. For that, practice last 5 years mains English papers and analyze them. Active passive, direct indirect speech etc ko dekh lo theek se. Kiran Publication wali book would help a lot. Reading Hindu editorials daily would also help..
    Expecting 170 in english and 80/90 in Maths. 120 or so in pre I had. Unlikely to clear.
    I have got SP bakshi. Will it do the job or need to do any other book as well?
    Kiran english 7500+ questions wali ? if possible please paste the link here.
    Am reading hindu editorials daily as i am also preparing for CSE.
    ·
  • I'm posting a revised google drive link for all materials for Govt Jobs. I have winzipped the whole thing into one 8.27GB .rar file.

Revised Google Drive Link for SSC_BANK_LIC_IBPS_RBI_RAIL et al Govt Exams: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B52uKElRK6gnUEFyYjd3bHZKVDg/view?usp=sharing

Plus there is also a Torrent Option. Download torrent file from the following Google Drive Link:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-oSYlZVPRvpbXg3MDFqcjBUb0E&usp=drive_web
    Either be the best or die trying..
    ·
    Thanks in advance

I have got SP bakshi. Will it do the job or need to do any other book as well?
    Kiran english 7500+ questions wali ? if possible please paste the link here.
    Am reading hindu editorials daily as i am also preparing for CSE.
    Haan, Manish. SP Bakshi should suffice.
    ·
  • edited February 2016

Tips to solve Number Series Questions: SSC CGL 2016

Number Series Questions asked in SSC CGL, SSC CGL What are Number Series Questions, Common Pattern in Number Series questions asked in SSC CGL,Tips to Solve Number Series questions asked in SSC CGL,TDear MockBankers

The quantitative aptitude section of the SSC CGL exam includes many important topics like- ratio and proportion,simple and compound interest, profit and loss, time and work, time and distance,mixture and allegations, algebra, number series, percentage, average etc.

Number Series or NS, as is commonly referred to, is one of the most important topics of Quantitative Aptitude section of SSC CGL examination. This topic always has a high weightage in the exam which means more marks.

But the problem is that it consumes a lot of time, and thereby leaving only a fraction of time for other questions in the section. In a way Number Series can make or break your final scores and sectional cutoffs and ultimately be the difference between a name in the selection list or in the registrations list for the next exam.

In the SSC CGL Exam, Questions on Number Series are asked in both Tier 1 And Tier 2 exam. In this article we will discuss about tips and tricks to solve Number Series Questions.But before that first let us know what actually are Number series based questions.

·
  • A lot of people are asking strategy for mains english.
    Here are some things that you can follow according to ur need:

** Grammar acha kar lo. It will help u in cloze test,sentence improvement, Sentence arrangement,Spot d error. Books-
    1-english grammar and composition by SC gupta… this book is in mix hindi and english. Dont judge it by its thickness. U need to cover just grammar portion. Follow this if u r very weak in grammar.
    2- Objective english by SP bakshi . This books covers all area very precisely. Follow this if u know a bit grammar and want to enhance it or revise it.
    3- A mirror of common errors by ak singh . It will help u in spotting errors and sentence improvement.
    **Ab Vocab portion kaise kare. Idioms and one word sp bakshi se yaad kar lo and kiran previous papers ke sab one word ,idioms nd phrases,antonym ,synonyms yaad kar lo. Iske alawa antonyn synonym par jyada time dene ki jarurat nhi hai. 6 marks ke hi aate hain. Jisme se 2-3 ke options itne close honge ki kitna b ratta maar lo phir b nhi sahi ho paate. Daily newspaper or koi english reading hobby ho to vocab apne aap ho jaayega. Reading habit se comprehension me b help hogi. Word power made easy book padh sakte ho agar khali ho tabhi. Agar time nhi hai to avoid it.
    **Ab ye sab padh to liya par mocks lgana b bahut jaruri hai. Exam se 1 mahine pahle daily 1 mock lgao. Paramount ke mocks lga sakte ho.
    **Kaafi log kahte hain ki main hindi medium se hu. English achi nhi hai. Hindi medium ke students b acha kar sakte hain english me. Main b hindi medium se hu. 2013 me english mains me 153 aaye and 2014 me 181. 1 saal me kuch nhi badla tha. Jitna read karoge utni achi english hogi.
    **Working aspirants kuch pdf rakh sakte hain mobile me english grammar ke liye. It will help u in revision.
    All d best guys.
    http://www.sscnaukari.in/2015/09/strategy-for-cgl-tier-ii-by-vinay.html
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google