43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Public administration guidance for beginner

i have decided to go with pub administration
so please tell me your personal tryst with this optional about how to sail through it, how to master it and write good answers...
i have recently bought tmh laxmikanth pub ad plus mohit bhatt plus arora n goyal plus prasad n prasad . is it necessary to buy synergy printed notes of mohanty...are they worth of because i saw them in orn but didnt like them small font,no diagrams charts etc so rejected them...should one also buy nicholas henry and stephen robbins (mrunal ne recommend kiya hai) aur haan 2nd arc ka summary mil sakta hai kya kahin se.... do's and donts which u think regarding this optional.i have purchased ignou notes too..am i missing some books or notes?? is there any book having solved pubad papers??
plz give detailed insights about pubad so that any new aspirant doesnt tread on those paths
·

Comments

• thanks a lot @Nuralain for ur guidance and rightly editing the thread title so that it becomes one stop point for all newcomers and i request all senior players and pubadians to guide and share whatever mann ki baat they know about pubad books strategy links notes etc.
    ·
  • This is the worst thing that anyone one can guide but I think it is the best what I can guide......
    Please choose some other optional subject if you do not have genuine interest in pubad. Run before its too late.
    The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    Nuralain said:

@wisdom_tooth
    Um , now that you've decided to take the difficult route,
    Essentials would be -
    1. Mohit Bhattacharya
    2. Prasad
    3. Goyal
    4. Synergy or vajiram class notes / Aribam
    5. Some selected topics from Ignou

The trend of questions is nowhere close to what it was till 2011. There's a hidden syllabus. And questions do fall from the sky. Not discouraging, but making you aware.

Solved papers nope.

Once your basics are clear, dig the internet and read journals extensively.

It's a very tough, tricky and unpredictable optional. Rest your call. Best wishes.

Thanks @Nuralain :)

@doodlebean It would be great to have you here in this thread :) Once in a while :)
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    is fadia n fadia (2 books) avasthi maheshwari waste of time n money ..and do mohanty sir synergy gives some fact file book or ijpa journal imp articles??where to get these journals articles or 2nd arc summary points...
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    In The Race For Excellence There Is No Finish Line
    ·
  • @Neyawn
    Sure thing .... I'll keep visiting this thread. :)
    कर लेते है बर्दाश्त हर दर्द इसी आस के साथ,
    कि खुदा नूर भी बरसाता है, आज़माइशो के बाद........
    ·
  • edited January 2016

thanks a lot @Nuralain for ur guidance and rightly editing the thread title so that it becomes one stop point for all newcomers and i request all senior players and pubadians to guide and share whatever mann ki baat they know about pubad books strategy links notes etc.

Make Vajiram ( Rajesh Gupta Sir) notes your bible.
    Start maintaining separate note book for pub adm current affairs .
    While answering you should relate current affairs in your answers.
    I don't think IGNOU is of any help.
    SARC is more or less irrelevant.
    Visit ASPA now n then for the hidden syllabus.
    ·
  • thanks a lot @Nuralain for ur guidance and rightly editing the thread title so that it becomes one stop point for all newcomers and i request all senior players and pubadians to guide and share whatever mann ki baat they know about pubad books strategy links notes etc.

what is ASPA?@doodlebean mam
    ·

American Society of Public Administration Website
    ·
  • edited January 2016

thanks a lot @Nuralain for ur guidance and rightly editing the thread title so that it becomes one stop point for all newcomers and i request all senior players and pubadians to guide and share whatever mann ki baat they know about pubad books strategy links notes etc.

Rajesh Gupta sir note can be bible for some people not for everyone. So be careful.
    Ignou booklet can be helpful in topics like public policy ,evolution of Indian administration and to an extent for thinkers also.
    There is no hidden syllabus ,its just a myth created by someone.
    Use paper 1 in paper 2 and vice versa in a limited sense without getting carried away.
    This optional is awesome love it, understand it and it will pay u back like anything.
    Whenever u face problem with any question just go back to basic and u will be able to handle complex question with ease .
    Try to relate everything with prevailing real situations it will help in gaining confidence and adding dimension to your answer.
    ·

will u start any similar initiative like urs 'hidden syllabus thread' for the benefit of PA students, ur guidance is so much required. i know its difficult to take out time out of busy training schedule but still if u can...

·
  • For Paper 1:

>vajiram notes(not absolutely necessary but still helpful)
    >IGNOU notes
    >Mohit Bhattacharya all three books.
    >R.B.Aribum for quick revision(main toh luxmikanth bhi use kerta hun)
    >selected topics from Nicholas henry.
    > Prasad n Prasad.
    > topics such as O & M ,pert n cpm (techniques for admin improvement) from Maheshwari

For Paper 2 ;
    >again Vajiram notes
    >Fadia n Fadia
    >current topics from Hindu and Prs website.
    >2nd Arc n related reports on police reforms,centre-state etc(calculative read)

P.S : lots n lots of answer writing, interconnecting of P1 and P2, current examples of policy formulation n people participation n lastly hoping UPSC justify the relevance of Pub Ad as optional.....n yes chutzpah, ATB
    ·
  • Love for the subject. Curiosity in digging unknown terms and ideas in Internet. Ability to link up contemporary happenings with textbook. These are must to "pass". Not maxims of toppers alone.

There is no recommended books that would assure high marks. However, Extensive as well as Intensive read would be expected from you. No need to worry about Hidden syllabus. Learn all the topics in the notified Syllabus in three months or so. Internalise them by revising frequently. Thats it. True, few questions would fall from Sky. Once you are well-versed with Syllabus topics, No one can stop you. Best Wishes.

Coaching Institutes are redundant and expensive in my opinion. Decide based on independent assessment.h

Follow Lohit Motwani blog for reference books. Do not start Mohit B. book right away. He commented on all Pub Ad topics. Not comprehensively explained. So Internalise the basics from above mentioned books first.
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
    ·
  • edited January 2016

For Paper 1:

>vajiram notes(not absolutely necessary but still helpful)
    >IGNOU notes
    >Mohit Bhattacharya all three only one core book (pink coloured) s.
    >R.B.Aribum for quick revision(main toh luxmikanth bhi use kerta hun)
    >selected topics from Nicholas henry.
    > Prasad n Prasad. this should not be even seen, forget reading
    > topics such as O & M ,pert n cpm (techniques for admin improvement) from Maheshwari google and search for topic and read !

For Paper 2 ;
    >again Vajiram notes
    >Fadia n Fadia
    >current topics from Hindu and Prs website.
    >2nd Arc n related reports on police reforms,centre-state etc(calculative read)
    > Puri's notes
    > Laxmikanth Polity book

P.S : lots n lots of answer writing, interconnecting of P1 and P2, current examples of policy formulation n people participation n lastly hoping UPSC justify the relevance of Pub Ad as optional.....n yes chutzpah, ATB

My suggestion to new comers as above plus ..
    Refer less and revise more ! Questions these days are such that even if you read 100s of books.. exam time you will NOT be able to recollect anything and/or connect to the question asked ! At the end of the day you need to write basic things related to the question which is sufficient if you refer a small set of books(as listed above) and revise them multiple times !

Good Luck !
    Indian Revenue Service
    अबकी बारी, ज़िला अधिकारी ||
    ·
  • I second it @mango_dolly . At the time of exam, I could only recollect 1% of what I had read. After completing the exam, I felt exactly the same way as he had. Note down.
    Prelims : 2/2. Mains : 0/2. 24 years. "Thats how you devour a whale ; One bite at a time"
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    I thought i would write down what not to do for PA.

1. Relying excessively on coaching notes.Doesn't work these days.One needs to refer to standard books-MB, Goyal.

2. Too many sources and books. Stick to 2-3 sources which work well for you.

3. Reading only recommendations of SARC without knowing the context.These are high quality reports and if you have time, do try and go through the entire report selectively. They will be v useful even in ethics and paper 1 of PA.

4. Neglecting answer writing. PA is a subject where ppl tend to miss the core of the question and beat around the bush.The subject is essentially a mix drawn from various disciplines and hence it is v easy to go off track

5.Now that you have decided to go with PA, don't let your other optional friends pull you down."Maths easy aaya, Anthro mai repeat hue Q's", be prepared for all this.

Good luck and welcome to hell !
    ·

will u start any similar initiative like urs 'hidden syllabus thread' for the benefit of PA students, ur guidance is so much required. i know its difficult to take out time out of busy training schedule but still if u can...

Theek hai Sir... I can visit the thread once a week at least... If it's OK with you ppl... And tell me about the kind of guidance you want..?? Answer writing or some specific portions??
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    Kek said:

I second it @mango_dolly . At the time of exam, I could only recollect 1% of what I had read. After completing the exam, I felt exactly the same way as he had. Note down.

aur dusra khatra ye bhi hai ki jayda recollect karne ka try kiya toh ques chuth jayega now we have to write 19 ques out of which 9 are long answer.
    exam me wahi likh paoge jo dimag me ekdum baith gaya hai.
    ·
  • @warrior0602 I do not speak Hindi. Forgive my ignorance. :)
    ·
  • Kek said:

@warrior0602 I do not speak Hindi. Forgive my ignorance. :)

since in new format we have to write 19 ques out of which 9 are long answer ques so if one start recollecting in exam then he can't complete paper.
    so it's better to revise more :)
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google