MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Possible questions for Reading books as a Hobby

Hi guys my hobby as filled in DAF is "reading books". Please suggest some questions.

My interest in books range from fiction (fantasy/thriller/sci-fi/classics) to non fiction(biographies/science) etc

Comments

• 1. What was the last book you read?
    2. What explains Chetan Bhagat's popularity?
    3. Which is your favourite biography?
    4. Do you use any devices to read? Will devices like Kindle replace the book?
    5. What do you understand by "Classics" ?

*No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Hi guys my hobby as filled in DAF is "reading books". Please suggest some questions.

My interest in books range from fiction (fantasy/thriller/sci-fi/classics) to non fiction(biographies/science) etc

Hi, I'm sharing interview tips by a CSE aspirant @Tyler_Durden Hope this helps!

I would like to cite some of my own experiences in interviews w.r.t reading as a hobby.

My Intern Interview (Under graduation)

- Favourite character in Merchant Of Venice (it was part of my school syllabus) and why?
    - Which is the most famous speech of the play?
    - Do you think the play is racist?

My IIM interview (I said I read P G Wodehouse)
    - Who is you favourite character apart from Bertie and Jeeves and why?
    - Would you like to see Bertie married?

My wing mate's interview with a Fortune-50 MNC (He said he likes reading comics)
    - Questions ranged from manga, to graphic novels, Frank Miller

I haven't put in the sub questions which were asked within the broad perspective of the above questions for the sake of simplicity. But with my little experience in interviews, I can draw upon some conclusions

1) To test if you have actually read the book, they may ask you something which may relatively insignificant but obvious to a person who has read the book.

So 'summary readers' beware. They will not ask you to recite the story. Rather they have their methods to check your claims. If they blow your cover, it will all be downhill from there.

2) They test your 'analysis' capability, by asking you opinion based questions.

Analysis does not mean 'moral of the story'. The interviewer was more interested in my thinking than what the story tried to project.

3) Irrespective of the kind of books you read, you need to have a command over its content and also the background of the material and its place in a broader framework.

You can read any book you want no matter how simple it is as long as you are having a fair amount of authority over it.

This raises a few questions

1) There is no use of summaries?

On the contrary, knowing something about a famous stories is very much needed.
    Arvind Adiga's 'The White Tiger' is about a backward class man making it big in the city. Salman Rushdie's 'Shalimar the Clown' is about Kashmir (even though many say it is not). You should know that; but you shouldn't bluff that you have read the book. That's simply getting yourself into deep s***.

2) Since there will be analysis questions, there is no difference between fiction and non-fiction.

Writing or gathering points of critical appreciation is easier for non-fiction than fiction in my opinion. A good quality non-fiction would give more points to talk about than a fiction. (There is a lot more of forceful thinking required in a easy fiction. But in a non-fiction you are forced to read more closely which invariably gives you more points).

I think reading one good non-fiction would be more than sufficient (In my other IIM interview, I had questions from just one non-fiction for more than 10 minutes)

3) Reading comics and some B-grade novels can also be counted into reading?

The lower the quality of the books, more tougher it would be to convince the interviewer about the nuances of the material (not impossible though).

Sticking to a 'higher grade' books has its advantages.If the books that you have read is very common (which every tom , dick and harry reads), your answers will have to be really really unique.

At the end of the day, it is the way you answer the question irrespective of the material. A truly amazing scenario would be talking about a trashy book and pulling it off in interview. (If I get through to the interview and if I can do this, I will be over the top). But to be on the safer side, it is better to stick to the conventional methods.
  • How to decide which book to pick wrt the question on books read recently? Suggestions?
  • I think it would be wise to read mention a book on the political history of India. Many books have come up recently like 'Accidental Prime Minister' or Kashmir: The Vajpayee Years etc. this will steer the interview towards post independence history or india pakistan relations, AFSPA etc.

I plan to do this. I have also mentioned reading as a hobby among others
  • Would it be naive to give harry potter series, for example, as an answer to the question about one's favorite book? Despite the fact that one has read a wide range of books, both fiction and non-fiction. I mean, wouldn't it be better to be honest and justify it as smartly as possible and pull it off really well?
  • I have mentioned my hobby as reading Non Fiction. I was reading the book-The Men Who Killed Gandhi. Looking for other good reads of the same genre. Anyone suggestions please ?
    Thanks
  • sadusky15 said:

Would it be naive to give harry potter series, for example, as an answer to the question about one's favorite book? Despite the fact that one has read a wide range of books, both fiction and non-fiction. I mean, wouldn't it be better to be honest and justify it as smartly as possible and pull it off really well?

Even i have considered this because HP is my favorite series too. I guess if we can substantiate with what makes it so special, that might work. Still mulling it over. Because honestly speaking i can nswer any question they ask on HP but i also dont want to come across as less mature reader, you know? So that's the dilemma.

I have mentioned my hobby as reading fiction so i guess i ll have to go with a fiction book in response to that question.
  • What kind of questions one should expect if he is into hardcore fantasy fiction?
    Gunning for glory!
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog