43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Sociology Discussion Thread for 2016 Mains

Dear All,

I invite fellow Sociology enthusiasts, people who are preparing for sociology, both first attempters and veterans to contribute your rich knowledge in this discussion that could be of immense value addition to the our previously held knowledge...Given the change in nature of Paper -2 of 2015 Mains it is important that we read widely apart from the syllabus to sail unexpected tides.

What can we do with this thread..some possible suggestions

1.) We can post sociology related articles from websites, give our own writeups of current affairs events from a sociological perspective, search a topic which is not well covered in coaching notes and post them, anything that can be seen from a sociological angle...also new learners can post even the basic funda they read in classes and discuss doubts

2.) This can be a keep in touch with subjects thread...though anything can be shared..own writeups can increase the writing skills of the one who is posting it...

3.) This will not be an answer writing thread because it is very difficult to maintain the tempo and moreover there was very low participation in the thread which we started last year.

I hope a huge participation from all of you to make it success.

Thanks for your patience.

Here i tag some socio aspirants

@all socio aspirants
@Jaime_Lannister
@Game_Changer
@INeeDtoGetIn
@CAESAR
@Mistletoe
@willhunting
@Shkk
Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
·

Comments

• I am a newbie here and my question is how you people use paper1 concepts in paper 2 ..for example in questions effects of urbanisation/globalisation we can use anomie,for education manifest and latent functions,problems related ith women we can use status ,role and marxian perspective but on other topics I am unable to connect
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89
    What's the best and most comprehensive source for the topic work and economic life ?
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89
    What's the best and most comprehensive source for the topic work and economic life ?

can be done online..most of them
    Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89

couldn't find concrete info for formal and informal organizations! Any particular link ?
    ·
  • Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
    ·
  • switched from econ to socio this year...the thing that i have noticed is solving old questions is key..
    is there any trusted book that has solved previous year questions??.
    ·
  • Try Giddens for work and economic life @aditya_bahety

Book is available online, just google it.
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-J3Rig6mrJhGECH-yVMwSg
    ·
  • How to start socio
    1St book to read apart from ncert?
    i am gonaa start soon for my optional,sara time gs me chala jata hai
    Abhi tak syllabus bhi nhi dekha socio ka
    Sylllabus chordo,optional bhi cnf decide nhi kia hai
    Hey bhgwan optional hata de is baar
    ·
  • Guys I wrote mains this year with socio optional.I completed visionIAS test series as well as Nice IAStest series,But I still have some doubts in some of the topics.Can any senior candidate, who has written mains 2-3 times with socio optional,clear my doubts and guide me personally with his experience.
    We are a group of 2-3 students staying in Delhi.We are also ready to pay the negotiable amount.I think it should not take more than 4-5 sittings,,so pls help us.
    ·
  • @abhinitb

Had a look ,feminisation of labour ,globalisation impact is covered well there.

I don't have the orange haralombs but have the blue one latest edition,have covered few topics from it ...should I buy the orange one for any specific topics ?
    ·
  • @inviciblefighters

Which books have you followed ?
    ·
  • @aditya_bahety
    Paper 1 >> Upendra's class notes+Haralambos+NCERTs
    Paper 2>>Upendra class notes + IGNOU (SOCIETY IN INDIA block)+NEWSPAPERS
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89

Sorry for barging in. For work and economic life, you can get hold of notes of vikas ranjan from any xerox shops in ORN or MN. Those cover each topic in detail and i personally found them sufficient.
    ·
  • @Rail_life firstly take a deep breath start from ignou emergence of socio
    them move to ncerts after that standard books like h&h do topic wise study
    and take a look m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD231F54EBA300DB0&itct=CBoQojAYAyITCJmt2pLu5sQCFRMVvgod8zAAAg%3D%3D&gl=IN&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google i hope it will help u guys
    ·
  • Could anyone suggest good socio coaching ......is upendra sir's batch starting in jan 2016? Pls help me out
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    sources

@Sleeplessnights_89

Sorry for barging in. For work and economic life, you can get hold of notes of vikas ranjan from any xerox shops in ORN or MN. Those cover each topic in detail and i personally found them sufficient.
    The issue is I don't stay in Delhi so have to manage from more conventional sources !

·
  • What is truancy and Vagrancy ?? Compare
    कसूर ना उनका है ना मेरा, हम दोनो रिश्तों की रसमें निभाते रहे;वो दोस्ती का एहसास जताते रहे, हम मोहबत को दिल में छुपाते रहे।
    @summum bonum
    ·
  • Dnt knw f it helps u guys(new ppl) or nt bt ds s how I started..
    Had no background f socio or any humanity paper..
    Started with vibhas sharma lectures n notes, completed those 37 lectures in 10 days..motive was jus to get an overview f d syllabus and prepare d masterplan accordingly..meanwhile made notes frm d videos..
    After dat I completed both ncerts and made concised notes f dat too..both f dese things(vdo+ncert+first note making) took almost 15 days..

After dat, I analyzed d question papers f previous years(available with mrunal)..

Now the real prep started with topic wise study..
    Refered standard books and ignou material along with d notes I already made from ncert n vibhas vdo.
    You guys can get list f books frm d forum thread itself..

Here I wud lyk to suggest to 1st timers dat dnt make ur final notes from already available notes in d market..they r their version f grasping n understanding things and note making..you can obviously take a vague idea from dem..make ur own notes..and start ur journey f ur struggle/success in ur own way..

Disclaimer: gud or bad, dis was my version..
    ·
  • Guys I have Haralambos &Holborn for sociology in full new condition for sale at rs 2000 and Sociology themes &perspective by Haralambos and heald for sale at 150 rs...you can contact me at 8130311976
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google