MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening) & 29th June (Morning) ; Registration open
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website :- www.mitrasias.com

Physics Optional for CS Mains

edited September 2015 in Physics & Chemistry
is anyone interested in taking physical as optional ans can somebody tell me the highest score in physical in last mains.
·

Comments

• I will be taking physics. Saw a few scores around 290 in the orkut thread.
    ·
  • So, are u going to join any coaching or self study?
    ·
  • @SilentObserver

I am also taking Physics. I did coaching for the same last year from DIAS. But, things can be managed quite well even without coaching.
    Notes of Abhijeet Agarwal are more than sufficient. Just do them 3-4 times and keep on practicing. An investment of ~500 hours will easily fetch you around 50% marks.
    ·
  • How's DIAS coaching?
    On the net everyone is talking about DIAS for physics.
    I am thinking of joining their evening batch, if they starts any evening batch.
    ·
  • @SilentObserver This year its going to be my first attempt. I am getting around 270 in prelims, so no headache there. Even I haven't heard about any other coaching for physics other than DIAS. I will be joining the 10th June batch there. Classes in morning 8-10 AM.
    ·
  • @SilentObserver and @vikas724
    Please don't join DIAS if you know the basics pertaining to significant part of the syllabus already...
    Reasons:
    Even though Vajpayee is much revered by many, He is like a tuition master who can guarantee cent um in board exams. He is completely exam oriented nothing else.
    If you are passionate about physics itself and not just as a subject for exam or its scoring nature then you won't enjoy his classes...
    Seriously I couldn't sit in his classes for more than 3 days...
    My suggestion
    If your basics are strong and you have a solid work ethic just do self prep...
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
    ·
  • Can you tell me the books that i need to religiously follow for physics or Abhijeet Agrawal's book list is adequate.
    IAs i was going through his blog, i found he has specified so many referrence books.
    Do we have to read all those books?
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    For a long time I have been contemplating taking physics as my optional subject. It was my favourite subject during my plus 2 and JEE preparation. But I lost my interest in it during my engineering as there was too much higher mathematics involved and I was unable to relate the long mathematical equations with the physical world and it became not so interesting for me. Is there too much of higher mathematics (what we study during the first few years of engineering like the higher order differential equations, gradients, laplace operators, Bingo's Mad angles and stuff) involved in "UPSC's Physics" too OR its just that the concepts are deeper and wider than JEE and plus2 syllabus (of physics) but the questions can be worked out with the knowledge of 11th & 12th standard mathematics?
    ·
  • vajpayee pagal hai, uske paas padhne jao to self-restpect ko side mein rakh dena .... uss aadmi ko khud k alawa duniya mein koi nazar nahi aata .... seriously usse jhelna namumkin hai .... koi usse paglon k hospital mein jaldi bharti karo.... aisa aadmi khula ghoomega to pagal kar dega sabhi ko ... mere paas uski class ki kuch recordings hai... its a challenge, uski recordings hi jhel k bata do :-D
    PAGAL hai VAJPAYEE .....
    ·
  • edited November 2013
    @SilentObserver and @vikas724
    Please don't join DIAS if you know the basics pertaining to significant part of the syllabus already...
    Reasons:
    Even though Vajpayee is much revered by many, He is like a tuition master who can guarantee cent um in board exams. He is completely exam oriented nothing else.
    If you are passionate about physics itself and not just as a subject for exam or its scoring nature then you won't enjoy his classes...
    Seriously I couldn't sit in his classes for more than 3 days...
    My suggestion
    If your basics are strong and you have a solid work ethic just do self prep...
    @Caartey Dear I may be asking a bit vague question but let me try to be as objective as I can. I have studied Physics till 12th and then in Engineering I studied Physics for one semester. I was quite good student in Physics and it is my favourite subject. I want to ask how much time it may take for student as described to score about 50% marks if one studies regularly.
    Flunked in CSE 2014 Mains
    “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.”–William Arthur Ward
    "अपने हिस्से में समंदर नहीं आनेवाला चलो रेत निचोड़ी जाये"
    ·
  • @SilentObserver

I am also taking Physics. I did coaching for the same last year from DIAS. But, things can be managed quite well even without coaching.
    Notes of Abhijeet Agarwal are more than sufficient. Just do them 3-4 times and keep on practicing. An investment of ~500 hours will easily fetch you around 50% marks.
    @Adi52 Dude are you sure it will require only about 500 hours ? I mean for 4 hours daily it will take only 125 days. ;;)
    “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.”–William Arthur Ward
    ·
  • edited November 2013
    3-4 hours a day for 3-4 months is more than enough to attempt even 60%... *

*-conditions apply i.e proper studies not sitting with the book open and fiddling with your phone or net
    with 80+% of your time spent in practicing, with pen and paper and not just in your mind.
    ·
  • @Rahul_cse
    I can give you only general idea about the subject. Generally speaking, this much preparation should be sufficient.
    ·
  • 3-4 hours a day for 3-4 months is more than enough to attempt even 60%... *

*-conditions apply i.e proper studies not sitting with the book open and fiddling with your phone or net
    with 80+% of your time spent in practicing, with pen and paper and not just in your mind.
    @Caartey Dear do you have some idea about Mathematics as optional. I read from Kshitij Mittal's blog that Mathematics is more scoring than Physics but Somewhere in ForumIas someone said completing syllabus of Maths is a bit difficult in time.
    ·
  • @rahul_cse
    Sorry for the late reply... Bsnl broadband... Need I say more...
    "dear"...? Really coz I find it really weird...
    Now to your query...
    As someone who has been studying both these subjects for a very long time specifically for cse for more than a year...
    I would favour math over physics...
    Coz math is independent variable physics is a dependent variable...

But for you I would say neither...
    Go with civil engineering...
    Coz you can appear for ies with no extra effort
    Cutoffs are low and seats are high esp for civil dept...
    Every subject is scoring if you prepare well...
    Even I am preparing for ies but I am from ece so it can't help in cse or ifos so I choose the two subjects that I am best at...
    Didn't bother too much about the scoring issues...
    I'm what economists would call "the greater fool"
    ·
  • @Caartey Buddy (I hope this is not weird >:D< ) Actually I'm a bit confused in choosing optional. I prefer science optional over humanities due to interest. Your suggestion of taking civil engg. will give me little benefit as I have already cleared ies and focus is on cse. Although for civil was my optional initially, but I found that in past 6-7 years no one with civil engg optional has got under 200 rank and highest mark in civil engg is 338 which is quite low. I mean if you compare highest mark with other subjects it is lagging by atleast 50 marks. ~X( So I was thinking about taking Physics for 2014. After searching many blogs there is difference of opinion on how long it takes to prepare Physics. Kashish Mittal is of view that 8-9 month is enough (He cleared in first attempt) Abhijit Aggrwal says it takes two years to prepare science optional (He cleared after investing 4 years) so now I'm clear don't read to many blogs :P and Probably Physics is my PLAN A and Civil Engg is PLAN B ;)
    ·
  • There was a question in this year forest service paper
    "Obtain an expression for the angular speed of the earth at which Coriolis force makes object fly from the surface."
    Shouldn't it be centrifugal force instead of coriolis force? Am i missing something here?

·
  • edited December 2013
    I have compiled the marks of selected candidates in Physics and Chemistry.Here it goes:

PHYSICS marks of selected candidates

HARSH DIKSHIT(48) 146+182=328

PARTH GUPTA(59) 123+132=255

ADITYA KUMAR ANAND(96)130+114=244

NISHANT KUMAR(148) 125+75=200

MRITYUNJAY KUMAR BARANWAL(156) 173+148=321

HIMANSHU GARG(168) 146+142=288

ASHISH KUMAR DABAS(281) 111+130=241

ARJUN SHARMA(297) 84+110=194

NIDHI GUPTA(302) 81+168=249

ANURAG SUJANIA(304) 162+106=268

SAURABH UPADHYAY(376) 129+106=235

PAWAN YADAV(430) 118+144=262

NEHA TOMAR(622) 115+76=191

PRADEEP MISHRA(633) 157+91=248

DIVYANSHU JHA(648) 119+117=236

SHUBHAM SINGH(929) 90+108=198

Highest in P1-173
    Highest in p-2-182

Chemistry marks of selected candidates

MAYANK AGRAWAL( 67) 113 +124 =237

ANUJ SINGH (74) 155+ 82 =237

NISHANT KUMAR YADAV(102) 162 + 151 =313

GAURAV SHUKLA(288) 159+187= 346

SAURABH SINGH(435) 119+100=219

RAVINDRA KUMAR TIWARI(488) 162+134=296

SHUBHANGI(533) 112+82=194

GEORGY GEORGE(548) 140+135=275

Highest in P1-162
    Highest in p-2-187

·
  • edited December 2013
    In maths,people got 200+ in p-2 but only couldcross 100+ in p-1.down-scaling was drastic in p-1.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google