ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

Civil Engineering Optional in Mains 2013

edited January 2016 in Engineering
Hi

I havent seen many people (actually none) taking engineering subjects as optionals in CS mains. With the new regulations in place i feel the disadvantage we feel with engineering subjects is nullified. So, i want to take seniors opinion on choosing my optional as civil engineering. Also would like to know if any other person is thinkin in line with me.

I am preparing for ESE with Civil Engineering which means i will have covered my optionals syllabus beforehand and can concentrate completely on gs for last 5 months

Please help he in this regard
·

Comments

• Hi

I havent seen many people (actually none) taking engineering subjects as optionals in CS mains. With the new regulations in place i feel the disadvantage we feel with engineering subjects is nullified. So, i want to take seniors opinion on choosing my optional as civil engineering. Also would like to know if any other person is thinkin in line with me.

I am preparing for ESE with Civil Engineering which means i will have covered my optionals syllabus beforehand and can concentrate completely on gs for last 5 months

Please help he in this regard
    Its actually the advantage of taking engineering subjects which has been nullified! Earlier people could score 400+ in one engineering + one science subject (like many of my seniors have done) and completely ignore GS and still qualify with a good rank.
    ·
  • @bharat141 I'm taking Civil Engg. as my optional subject for 2014. Ping me with you email id.
    CSE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 470s| IRS C&CE
    ESE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 90s |
    ·
  • @ stardust1901

Then why many people refrain from takin engineering optionals? even many of my friends are taking subjects like geography, sociology and anthropology instead of engineering

Is that a misconception? please clarify
    ·
  • @Stardust1901
    Then why many people refrain from takin engineering optionals? even many of my friends are taking subjects like geography, sociology and anthropology instead of engineering
    Is that a misconception? please clarify
    Most engineers (me included) do not take engineering subjects because they have no confidence in their aptitude for it, graduating as an engineer is the easiest thing to do. I was sure I could do better by studying Political Science from scratch instead of taking mechanical engineering which I had "studied" for four years. But if someone is consistently the topper in his engineering subjects then that should definitely be his optional subject, because scores in technical subjects tend to get real high.

·
  • @stardust1901

Thank you
    But will it have any effect on my interview? by chance if i get that far

@alphaqsecc

thats great man. But it will be helpful to others also if we can keep the discussion here
    ·
  • @bharat141 Sure. We'll discuss here regarding strategy & books for Civil Engineering. In fact in interviews they will appreciate that you took the subject you graduated from (atleast thats what I comprehended from the interviews this year) unlike many students who opt a subject just because its scoring.
    While some other may chose non-graduation subject as they mayn't be comfortable with their graduation subject.
    CSE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 470s| IRS C&CE
    ESE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 90s |
    ·
  • Hi guys,even I am taking my optional as CE,myself abhishek from NIT Durgapur 2012 batch,kindly mail me at abhi.kuril@gmail.com and lets stay in touch :)

nice to see some like minded folks,as earlier i knew few who opted CE,but as i love this subject and have analysed past papers i think if done proper preparation we can for sure crack this exam :)

neways feel free to add me in ur gmail contacs/chat,

my FB id is-www.facebook.com/akuril (in case u want to have one on one chat) :) take care
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    ·
  • well i feel the reason could be that we have to as it is study GS syllabus which in itself is very vast. Almost similar to 4 year engineering course. So mostly people end up taking any one of the optional from GS subjects...

Thats my personal view,even I want to sit for CSE with civil engineering as optional subject but this thought always comes in my mind..

nice to see this discussion..

what do you people think?
    ·
  • Hi friends!!
    Im also planning to take civil engg as optional!!
    Good to see u all here!!
    ·
  • Nice to see u fellow mates keep up the spirit of civil engineering, I have a few doubts regarding civil engineering as an optional for civil services, I would be more than happy if anyone finds some time to clarify - I have heard civil engineering papers are valuated by non- civil engg. Background people, so anything written other than wats on the answerkey will attract less marks, is it so?
    ·
  • I havent heard that before and i dont think UPSC will take such chances that might compromise the future of a set of candidates with same optional. It might be a rumour as i dont know people having so much insight into UPSC paper corrections.
    Also, as the civil.engg papers of engg services will be evaluated by civil engineering professors, it shouldnt be a bother for UPSC to find people capable of evaluating civil engg papers in CSE.
    ·
  • Well, I am from Electrical Engineering & it is my optional too in mains 2013. Since, i have already cleared IES 2012 from EE, i feel i can't get any optional better than something which i have studied for 4 years.

I don't think, non subject experts will be checking the copies. Why that should happen? When i faced UPSC interviews for IES, apart from A P Singh sir, all others were from engineering background. The lady member was some prof of EE. If they can call experts for personality tests, why will they handover the copies to non-experts?

IMHO, the benefits of taking engg subject as optional are-
    1. Well known topics, nothing new.
    2. You can go for IES too.
    3. I feel that one can expect to get 350+ out of 500 only in these subjects like maths, physics, engg subjects.
    4. No subjectivity involved in solutions. If your answer is correct, it is universally correct.
    5. Most of the problems are numericals. if you can think fast, then you can easily complete the paper since you will have to think more & write less.
    6. If your solution is 100% correct, then you can get almost full marks.
    7. Easy to decide how did you performed in the paper. In others, even after papers, you can't be sure how well did you performed.

The only cons that i see in this are-
    1. Due to fixed writing space, if you made a mistake in solution, you are doomed!
    2. If you don't know the solution, you can't make up an answer by common sense.
    ·
  • @Oceanus

Other con's are

3. Vast syllabus
    4. Irrelevant to any other subject needed for CSE
    ·
  • @bharat141

Yes, I forgot to mention the 'irrelevance' con. Came to my mind after 6 minutes :P
    As far as vast syllabus is concerned, i feel that with proper strategy & timely revisions, it becomes manageable.

I gave GATE 2011, GATE 2012, ESE 2012, applied for ESE 2013 but skipped it for newcomers :) so i am in constant touch with the syllabus. It helps a lot.
    ·
  • @bharat141

Yes, I forgot to mention the 'irrelevance' con. Came to my mind after 6 minutes :P
    As far as vast syllabus is concerned, i feel that with proper strategy & timely revisions, it becomes manageable.

I gave GATE 2011, GATE 2012, ESE 2012, applied for ESE 2013 but skipped it for newcomers :) so i am in constant touch with the syllabus. It helps a lot.
    @Oceanus Buddy your optional is EE which has relatively less lengthy optional than Civil Engg. Civil engg. syllabus is one of the lengthiest in all subjects. People with this optional tend to attempt a bit less comparatively. Attempting 80% in civil engg require herculean effort and 85% is a dream while in other subjects this is not so difficult. I have also cleared ESE-2012 and initially thought to have civil as optionals for CSE-2014 but now I'm having second thought and I am thinking about Physics so that atleast I can attempt most of the paper. So my point is vastness of subject will be more harmful when coupled with lengthy questions. But this problem may be rectified from the changed pattern of this year. I hope for best [-O<
    Flunked in CSE 2014 Mains
    “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.”–William Arthur Ward
    "अपने हिस्से में समंदर नहीं आनेवाला चलो रेत निचोड़ी जाये"
    ·
  • @rahul_cse Sorry friend, i wasn't aware of this aspect of civil engg. If this is the case, then one should think before choosing it as optional.
    ·
  • Hello everyone, good to see so many like minded people...
    I have graduated in 2010 in civil engineering.. I have just completed the coaching for GS for IAS 2014.. Now I'm actually confused for optional.. M thinking of taking civil engineering.. please advise..
    a new subject will atleast take 3 to 4 months for prep .. revising civil engg will take more time than that??
    Besides I'm working and dont have time to take coaching for optional paper..
    ·
  • edited November 2013
    Hello everyone, good to see so many like minded people...
    I have graduated in 2010 in civil engineering.. I have just completed the coaching for GS for IAS 2014.. Now I'm actually confused for optional.. M thinking of taking civil engineering.. please advise..
    a new subject will atleast take 3 to 4 months for prep .. revising civil engg will take more time than that??
    Besides I'm working and dont have time to take coaching for optional paper..
    @adamant3 I will give you very objective and unbiased opinion. For choosing any optional following checks should be conducted in that order-
    1-Interest This is key. If you choose a subject which seems uninteresting to you it will be fiasco. Optional should not feel like burden. There comes a time once in a while when UPSC makes you feel depressed in that situation you start questioning every decision of yourself and here sometime an optional, which does not create interest in you to pick up book again, is not suitable. So pick up few subjects according to your interest, go through some basic NCERT books and last few year papers. See which subjects inspire you more.
    2-Material Availability This is reality check. Do not choose those subjects for which study materials are hard to be found.
    Any new optional will take around 6-8 month to complete with proper preparation alongside G.S. and here I do not mean only syllabus completion. But let me be honest to you Civil Engg, statistically, is not one of the best option in terms of scoring but choosing this might help you in saving some time for value addition in G.S. . Practice, hard work, speed and super interest are few keys which you will need if you choose Civil Engg. and there are people who have scored even 340 in Civil Engg.
    Flunked in CSE 2014 Mains
    “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.”–William Arthur Ward
    "अपने हिस्से में समंदर नहीं आनेवाला चलो रेत निचोड़ी जाये"
    ·
  • Is there a thread where we could discuss the solutions to previous years questions ? That would be handy
    There are only two tragedies in life: one is not clearing Civil Services and the other is clearing it - Oscar Wilde
    ·
  • Good to see a thread like this and meet like minded people out here who wanted to take Civil engineering as optional.
    I am in final year right now and will finish by 2015. I am planning to give ESE exam right after my graduation that is in 2015. Planning to prepare for Civil services later on taking Civil engineering as optional and planning to give CSE exam in 2016.
    If anyone present here who have cracked ESE exam, i just wanted to know whether we can find time to prepare for Civil services being as IES probationer.?
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google