Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Perspectives in Human Geography: How to tackle

I have gone through the Syllabus for 'Perspectives in Human Geography' and found it difficult to search over the books. Based on the suggestion of Forum Friends I bought 02 Books 'Evolution of Geographical Thoughts' by Majid & 'Geographical Thoughts' by R. D. Dixit. Everyone suggest to read these books thoroughly but when I see the syllabus (like Areal differentiation; regional synthesis; Dichotomy and dualism; Environmentalism; Quantitative revolution and locational analysis; radical, behavioural, human and welfare approaches; Languages, religions and secularisation; Cultural regions of the world; Human development index), I find it difficult to search and relate the topic according to UPSC Syllabus from these books. I also bought Neetu Singh and Alok Ranjan's handwritten notes and found that the syllabus for the 'Perspectives in Human Geography' is covered in 20-30 pages and that too is not matching with above standard books.
I am too much confused, what to read, where to read, how to read & what to follow. Kindly Guide me friends.
·

Comments

• Go through shabbir sirs notes.....he is best for thought......
    ·
  • Alok Ranjan teaches Perspectives in an 8-hour long lecture and gets done with it as fast as possible.
    Neetu Singh does the same under the garb of linking Perspectives and Geo-2 and manages to hide her weaknesses in the topic well. Having personally gone through both of their notes, I can tell you that they have incomplete as well as wrong explanations for many concepts.
    So you can safely assume that you won't gain anything out of reading their notes
    Shabbir's notes would have been a better choice, but the last time I checked around in Old Rajinder Nagar, the available notes were of 2013 January
    You seem to be doing Perspectives without guidance. That is dangerous. I would suggest either joining Majid or Shabbir. I have experience with Majid Sir's teaching and I have heard about Shabbir's teaching through friends. You can check out with them for separate courses in Human Geo. Majid Sir does offer one.
    As for the books you picked up.
    Read them with guidance and not otherwise.
    RD Dikshit has only 3 chapters that are worth reading(if you upload a picture of the index of the book I could tell you right now which chapters and which topics)
    I'll let you know them once I get hold of my own book
    As for Majid's Book
    You'll cover most topics mentioned in the syllabus
    As for the topics that are missing
    ex. Regional Synthesis catch hold of Spectrum Geography
    I'll list out a possible way to go about Perspective if you planning to do it on your own
    ·
  • louislitt said:

Alok Ranjan teaches Perspectives in an 8-hour long lecture and gets done with it as fast as possible.
    Neetu Singh does the same under the garb of linking Perspectives and Geo-2 and manages to hide her weaknesses in the topic well. Having personally gone through both of their notes, I can tell you that they have incomplete as well as wrong explanations for many concepts.
    So you can safely assume that you won't gain anything out of reading their notes
    Shabbir's notes would have been a better choice, but the last time I checked around in Old Rajinder Nagar, the available notes were of 2013 January
    You seem to be doing Perspectives without guidance. That is dangerous. I would suggest either joining Majid or Shabbir. I have experience with Majid Sir's teaching and I have heard about Shabbir's teaching through friends. You can check out with them for separate courses in Human Geo. Majid Sir does offer one.
    RD Dikshit has only 3 chapters that are worth reading(if you upload a picture of the index of the book I could tell you right now which chapters and which topics)
    As for Majid's Book
    I'll list out a possible way to go about Perspective if you planning to do it on your own

Bhai spectrum geo kaisi h for human??
    ·
  • louislitt said:

Alok Ranjan teaches Perspectives in an 8-hour long lecture and gets done with it as fast as possible.
    As for Majid's Book

Bhai spectrum geo kaisi h for human??
    Bhai, puraa book ko bahut selectively padhna
    Kuch topics ke explanation acche hain usme joh baki kisi book main nahi milega
    jaise Regional Synthesis, New Environmentalism
    Lekin "Evolution of Geographical Thought" aur "Models in Geography" by Majid Main books hone chahiye
    Spectrum sirf uncovered topics ke liye acha hai
    ·
  • I agree with the above comments......dixit should be read under guidance........shabbir sirs layest notes are avl in delhi......in case if you are working professional like me u can try that route else louis litt suggestion is a better option......neetu madam notes are good for india dynamic part.....alok sir notes are best for geomorphology part imho......spectrum should be read at last for uncovered topics which are not covered elsewhere...
    ·
  • Book on human geography by B C JAT ... best ... complete coverage....
    ·
  • hi, could u tell the materials to refer for the "perpective in human geography"...I find it difficult to prepare with majid hussain and i have no notes of any coaching institutes for the same...
    ·
  • edited April 4
    Sashy said:

hi, could u tell the materials to refer for the "perpective in human geography"...I find it difficult to prepare with majid hussain and i have no notes of any coaching institutes for the same...

Well, I would suggest buy notes of shabbir sir. They are available in Delhi. He has dealt this topic quite well. Its short but still more readable than Majid Hussain. Once you go through his notes, you can map those important sections in Majid Hussain's book and read on for better understanding. You need to read and re read to finally grasp this topic. I myself avoided this topic last year. But now, I am trying to do it in this way and it will seem easier with passage of time.
    ·
  • Sashy said:

hi, could u tell the materials to refer for the "perpective in human geography"...I find it difficult to prepare with majid hussain and i have no notes of any coaching institutes for the same...

Read chapters from 8 to 12 from Majid Hussain book and then you can go for shabbir sir's notes.
    ·
  • @"Abhishek Gupta"

Book on human geography by B C JAT ... best ... complete coverage....

But this book is in hindi na? Please let me know if that's available in English and from where can I get this book..It's not available anywhere online I guess..
    ·
  • Sashy said:

Well, I would suggest buy notes of shabbir sir. They are available in Delhi. He has dealt this topic quite well. Its short but still more readable than Majid Hussain. Once you go through his notes, you can map those important sections in Majid Hussain's book and read on for better understanding. You need to read and re read to finally grasp this topic. I myself avoided this topic last year. But now, I am trying to do it in this way and it will seem easier with passage of time.
    thank you.
    ·
  • gt2015 said:

Sashy said:

Read chapters from 8 to 12 from Majid Hussain book and then you can go for shabbir sir's notes.
    thank you

·
  • also u can read books of R D Maurya or Ms. Adhikari
    ·
  • Guys, can u tell me from where can i order Shabbir Sir's notes? and what will b the approx price?
    I live in Chennai...Flavido is asking Rs.200 jst as shipping charges!

Atul photostat will be cheaper?? any idea or leads?
    ·
  • The courier charges will be like that only...you can check charges on Indian sped post also..they will also cost more or less same. Otherwise, call atul photostat and see how much they are asking?
    ·
  • The courier charges will be like that only...you can check charges on Indian sped post also..they will also cost more or less same. Otherwise, call atul photostat and see how much they are asking?

Thanks bro!
    ·
  • Basis of Agro-climatic regionalisation ?
    Basis of Agro-ecological regionalisation of India ?

Different between these 2 types of regionalisation ?
    ·
  • Human geography is best handled by Himanshu Sir of Guidance IAS
    anyone can access his Prespectives in HUman GEography via Flavido ...
    however, if possible attend answer writing classes also which are more helpful as for scoring good marks ...
    ·
  • Doubt
    Did Richthofen encourage general Vs regional dichotomy?
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.
    ·
  • edited July 4
    Dilemma: Whenever I visit this thread, I feel like why I chose Geography Optional when my interest was limited to GS syllabus only :neutral:
    ·
  • can somebody explain in layman terms as to what exactly is Regional Synthesis?
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.
    ·
  • can somebody explain in layman terms as to what exactly is Regional Synthesis?

Just go for dictionary meaning of term 'synthesis'- the combination of components or elements to form a connected whole.
    ·
  • Regional synthesis is region identification based on any criteria(physical or human). cultural region(ex hindu belt). natural region(black soil region).
    Process of synthesis involves deciding criteria for study , delimitation of boundaries and verification on ground(reality )= regional synthesis
    Regional differentiation is variability of criteria i.e physical or human phenomenon in regions
    this pain was inflicted by Sir Richard Hartshorn

·
  • Best source for Economic geography?
    ·
  • Best source for Economic geography?

Human and economic geography- G C Leong Oxford university press is best.. but its bulky too. Instead prefer to google part of syllabus topic wise.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog