MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

switch from anthropology to maths optional

Guys, I have written mains this year with anthropology as an optional. Now thinking of moving to maths. Please reply if this is good move considering that I had been good at it since childhood and studied from one of the top NITs.
·

Comments

• it depends on why you are leaving anthropology.
    from what i know anthropology has a small syllabus and not much to ask in a twisted manner. Maths is an entirely different beast out there.

A comparison between last year's and this year's papers:
    Last year's papers was child play compared to this year's papers in my opinion. Anyone with proper amount of practice can solve it. It had a lot of applied math portion covered where as i think a lot of pure math is asked this year. The difference between the two is very high when it comes to a tech graduate taking maths as an optional. I felt that this year's paper is easy for someone who knows all the basics(especially paper 2) that a math graduate would know. Most of the paper was fashioned that way. That may be enough to tell you the range of difficulty math papers can have. Anthropology on the other hand is not so complex in nature. Last year also people scored heavy in it and i hear the difficulty level hasn't changed much this year. Also it helps you in GS papers also. So, if it is for marks don't shift!

Background:
    You being from one of the top NITs doesn't matter here considering the fact that most of our competition is also from premier institutes. Your paper will be evaluated the same as all others and what matters is your knowledge and preparation. The math that you are good at since childhood helps you a lot in aptitude exams. It also helps you to grasp the subject matter fast enough. But your practice matters a lot from then on.

Again there is this dilemma about what the committee would recommend about optional subject. Now, there are people who bullshit that we shouldn't believe any such rumors until UPSC does that change. Realize that this is your life and believe what you want to. If the committee decides that optional should be scrapped whether this year or the next, shifting of optional would be a bad move on your part. I made the mistake(that almost cost me an attempt!) of not believing about CSAT this year. The word actually got out in February itself and I didn't believe till may when it was notified officially. I suggest to play with caution.

·
  • :#
    vinpat said:

Guys, I have written mains this year with anthropology as an optional. Now thinking of moving to maths. Please reply if this is good move considering that I had been good at it since childhood and studied from one of the top NITs.

·
  • if u blv, u can perform well in maths then you must go for maths, sometimes v think and discuss about our decisions too much, which ultimately down our positive energy! So go for it!
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google