"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains Guidance Program 2017 : The Mentor guided Test Series for Civil Services.
Join MGP/MGP+ by ForumIAS - the Mains Test Series with meaningful mentor support. With 16 GS Tests + 5 Essay Tests to cover syllabus worth 1250 marks. Read Testimonials & Strategy by Prajit Nair ( Rak 87 ) & Mittali Sethi ( Rank 56, MGP Student ) or ask Sushil ( Rank 96 ) , who upgraded to IAS with under 100 rank after improvement in GS Scores.
MGP+ commences from July 1 with 16 GS Tests + Additional Essay Tests and classes

Prelims 2016 General Studies Concept Clarity and Discussion

Dear All,

As we all aware that the sailing in Prelims has now become difficult with only GS paper, It is imperative to fine tune ourselves and minimise errors and make an attempt to score very high to have a safe getting in. I invite People who are appearing for the next prelims both previous and fresh attempters to take part in this thread to share and to consolidate the previously held knowledge under all topics that will help all of us from a prelims perspective. We need not wait to cover the basics as we know most of the questions can be solved by practice and logical thinking and i hope for this, the experience we gain through this thread will be immensely helpful.

How to Go Ahead with this thread

1.) Concepts on diverse topics from science to polity to geography to culture..etc., that can be asked in prelims can be discussed and we can keep it as broad as possible to avoid boredom and repetition. For example: Indus valley civilization--some probable question areas can be posted, some scientific concepts like respiration in fruits and vegetables, interesting and peculiar natural process like Phumdis in Manipur, Geography based concepts like why, how etc.,

2.) Posting MCQs are not preferred because everyone will make their choices and there will be no value addition done by each member..rather we can stick to what i discussed in Point No-1 and it will be more like a concept clarity sheet rather than an MCQ

3.) When a process or phenomenon has been explained well, we can leave it and post the next ones to incorporate so many diverse issues that is needed to enhance our knowledge base

4.) Concepts can be drawn from textbooks, coaching class notes, newspapers, test series questions of various institutes, previous year papers, CAPF questions, Question banks, wikipedia, Current Affairs etc., but if some discussion is in happening on polity the next can be economics and the next can be history to keep it interesting.

I expect huge participation and contribution to make it a success, even the very basic concepts can be posted and discussed, however it is better they must be useful and relevant for prelims. Thanks for the patience and we will press the START button from today onwards.
Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
·

Comments

• Few cents of mine...UPSC would never ask such technical details at all...there may be one or two questions at max but the remaining questions are basically current oriented only, bas we tend to neglect them, even in prelims they ask only things which are in news be it of geography or anything else...from static part they never ask something v.technical, i think NCERT is sufficient for static portion. Seeing above technical analysis i think it would become quite difficult to go in so detail, there would be literally no end. So stick to basics and read newspaper properly, we have to score at max 110, so obviously we can skip some questions easily
    ·
  • Ok few of my inputs.

1. Why cloudbursts usually takes place prior to onset of monsoon in Himalayan regions?

Answer: Because of presence of westerly jet stream(WJS)

Let me explain. In winter,WJS has a segment which is south to Himalaya.It vanishes in summer time(shifting of ITCZ). BUT prior to that from march onwards Himalayan region gets heated up,but the heated air is unable to go up due to presence of WJS. By the time monsoon hits north India, WJS has vanished. As soon as WJS goes away the "blocking effect" ends and the warm air moves up pretty fast,gets condensed,gets heavy and then heavy downpour occurs..That is cloudburst.

2. Does melting of sea-ice leads to sea level rise?

Answer: Not directly but indirectly yes.

Sea-ice is already in sea or ocean(Remember the movie Titanic,the scene where the ship hits the sea-ice),its volume is already accounted for( Archimedes principle). So when sea-ice melts there is no change in sea-level because there is no extra addition to volume. However melting of ice reduces Albedo of earth (Albedo is the fraction of Sun's radiation reflected from a surface). This leads to temperature rise (global warming) and more melting of glacier,thus indirectly leading to sea level rise.

3. What is Hinayana vs Mahayana?

This is a very deep topic. But if you want to make it easy,at least from UPSC point of view,remember these:
    -Original form of Buddhism was Hinayana where no pictorial representation of Buddha is seen. He is reflected through symbols like Bodhi tree, wheel etc
    - Mahayana developed later,around 1st century BC. They made sculpture of Buddha. Gandhara art, Mathura art all falls here.
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
    ·
  • Bhai.. I feel a revamped strategy for prelims is very much needed now.. So it would be great if ForumIAS or someone else can come up with and post a revamped strategy in r/o 2016 now.. coz the old strategies (like laxmikanth, rajiv ahir, GCL ko 5 baar padh lo types) are now not working anymore in this changed pattern where CSAT is qualifying and people are attempting and scoring really high in Paper -1 (whose standard has also degraded in itself and demands a fresh strategy).. Personal opinion only.. Baki jaisa sab ko sahi lage..
    ·
  • banke007 said:

Few cents of mine...UPSC would never ask such technical details at all...there may be one or two questions at max but the remaining questions are basically current oriented only, bas we tend to neglect them, even in prelims they ask only things which are in news be it of geography or anything else...from static part they never ask something v.technical, i think NCERT is sufficient for static portion. Seeing above technical analysis i think it would become quite difficult to go in so detail, there would be literally no end. So stick to basics and read newspaper properly, we have to score at max 110, so obviously we can skip some questions easily

Bhai wo UPSC h pahle bhi core se question puche hue h UPSC ne..like Tidal bores,locations se related ..main thing h ki aap ke basics clear hone chahiye uske bad aap current se ache se relate kar payenge aak kal aise bhi options mixed hote h both current as well as concepts both involve hote h ..jitna gyan bator sakte ho bator lo baki to paper k time dekha jayega..
    ·
  • I totally support this initiative.

No copy paste job. We should use this platform for absolute clarity.

Remember " "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    ·
  • Bhediya said:

banke007 said:

Few cents of mine...UPSC would never ask such technical details at all...there may be one or two questions at max but the remaining questions are basically current oriented only, bas we tend to neglect them, even in prelims they ask only things which are in news be it of geography or anything else...from static part they never ask something v.technical, i think NCERT is sufficient for static portion. Seeing above technical analysis i think it would become quite difficult to go in so detail, there would be literally no end. So stick to basics and read newspaper properly, we have to score at max 110, so obviously we can skip some questions easily

Bhai wo UPSC h pahle bhi core se question puche hue h UPSC ne..like Tidal bores,locations se related ..main thing h ki aap ke basics clear hone chahiye uske bad aap current se ache se relate kar payenge aak kal aise bhi options mixed hote h both current as well as concepts both involve hote h ..jitna gyan bator sakte ho bator lo baki to paper k time dekha jayega..
    True but i think NCERT and newspaper are deadly combination. Itna technical analysis karna is not possible in each and every subject, and then it would be misutilization of our limited cognitive resources and time which should be better channelised in optionals or in preparing somthing else. Baki to yahan har koi samajhdar so apne hisab se strategy devise karega
    ·
  • IWRA said:

Ok few of my inputs.

1. Why cloudbursts usually takes place prior to onset of monsoon in Himalayan regions?

Answer: Because of presence of westerly jet stream(WJS)

Let me explain. In winter,WJS has a segment which is south to Himalaya.It vanishes in summer time(shifting of ITCZ). BUT prior to that from march onwards Himalayan region gets heated up,but the heated air is unable to go up due to presence of WJS. By the time monsoon hits north India, WJS has vanished. As soon as WJS goes away the "blocking effect" ends and the warm air moves up pretty fast,gets condensed,gets heavy and then heavy downpour occurs..That is cloudburst.

2. Does melting of sea-ice leads to sea level rise?

Answer: Not directly but indirectly yes.

Sea-ice is already in sea or ocean(Remember the movie Titanic,the scene where the ship hits the sea-ice),its volume is already accounted for( Archimedes principle). So when sea-ice melts there is no change in sea-level because there is no extra addition to volume. However melting of ice reduces Albedo of earth (Albedo is the fraction of Sun's radiation reflected from a surface). This leads to temperature rise (global warming) and more melting of glacier,thus indirectly leading to sea level rise.

3. What is Hinayana vs Mahayana?

This is a very deep topic. But if you want to make it easy,at least from UPSC point of view,remember these:
    -Original form of Buddhism was Hinayana where no pictorial representation of Buddha is seen. He is reflected through symbols like Bodhi tree, wheel etc
    - Mahayana developed later,around 1st century BC. They made sculpture of Buddha. Gandhara art, Mathura art all falls here.

Just add thermal expansion to the rise of seawater in addition to melting of glaciers.
    ·
  • good initiative... can someone create a back up of all questions? coz at times it becomes very difficult to search something u read long back! that will be of great help too... :)
    Be the change you want to see in others...
    ·
  • good initiative... can someone create a back up of all questions? coz at times it becomes very difficult to search something u read long back! that will be of great help too... :)

These are concepts dude...At a later point we will do something for recap...around June or July ...till then pitch in :)
    ·

Abhi thoda material to bane.People can afford to dig deep at this point of time. From june onwards everyone will be in pre-mode and post-pre everyone will be in mains mode. Hence this is the best time to invest in such kinda initiative.
    ·
  • So someone set today's agenda.
    ·
  • IWRA said:

So someone set today's agenda.

It might be difficult to fix day to day agenda...we might miss some topics...so posting randomly but we can make sure it is as diverse and non repetitive..
    ·
  • I'm in sleepy..:-)

Will post few good things in coming times..but better if some guy takes pain to segregately save the upcoming Big Data..!!..
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·
  • I'm in sleepy..:-)

Will post few good things in coming times..but better if some guy takes pain to segregately save the upcoming Big Data..!!..

Welcome back Choti... :) Hope exams went well... B)
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89 Yuppp..hope so..rest result will tell..till dat i believes m the next topper ;) welcome 2 u too..nice to c u ..
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89 Thanks for the initiative. Couldn't clear this time, the pain still lingers. Need to ace through this time.
    In the midst of fearful uncertainties, romanticize the countless possibilities...
    ·
  • Very good initiative. Despite doing everything i couldn't clear prelims. I hope all leakages will go after being a part of this thread.
    Thanks.
    Karma - the Panacea
    ·
  • In cloud burst, there is one more explanation. High electrostatic charges in cloud doesn't let the water to escape untill high quantity of water gets accumulated in the cloud. High intermolecular forces between water molecules due to lowered temperature. Also High density of water droplets. When gravitational force becomes high to overcome electrostatic charges, then sudden rainfall within short duration.
    Musafir hu yaaron... na ghar hai na thikana... mujhe chalate jana hai, bas chalate hi jana hai.........
    ·
  • edited December 2015
    banke007 said:

Bhai, let people share freely what they feel appropriate in concise words. One can always use his her own discretion to decide what to read and what to leave.
    Musafir hu yaaron... na ghar hai na thikana... mujhe chalate jana hai, bas chalate hi jana hai.........
    ·
  • Someone please explain difference b/w previous pension scheme the New pension scheme.
    Never Out of Fight
    ·
  • friends....

my 2 cents on what works in prelims and how we should prepare

generally we(serious aspirants) miss cutoff not by 10 15 marks but by 5-6 marks ie 2 silly mistakes!

is it really a silly mistake .... i don't think so... but 1 thing is certain ...there are 65 70 doable questions ...and u can easily qualify if your accuracy is >90 % in these question ... so those 35 "tough" questions really doesnt matter

now how to improve accuracy.. we generally confuse between two close options ....we can improve accuracy of our elimination and option selection if we try something similar to this thread.... it would really be great

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/3798/nuances-in-prelims

so instead of
    ·
  • friends....

my 2 cents on what works in prelims and how we should prepare

generally we(serious aspirants) miss cutoff not by 10 15 marks but by 5-6 marks ie 2 silly mistakes!

is it really a silly mistake .... i don't think so... but 1 thing is certain ...there are 65 70 doable questions ...and u can easily qualify if your accuracy is >90 % in these question ... so those 35 "tough" questions really doesnt matter

now how to improve accuracy.. we generally confuse between two close options ....we can improve accuracy of our elimination and option selection if we try something similar to this thread.... it would really be great

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/3798/nuances-in-prelims

so instead of
    ·
  • I am in
    ·
  • Defcon1 said:

i am all in . after solving 32 ioi tests, being top ranker in iasbaba 60+3 day plan and countless coachingwalas test series (photocopy), my heart still aches that i wasnt allowed to write mains exam.
    this time i would like to do things differently ,since now it hardly takes a month to revise all static parts of gs.

bhai how wud u rate ioi...they claims that 60 questions came frm theirs..afterdoing so many tests what went really wrong then..
    Bhai dont get offended...i too failed pre this time..also solved some ioi papers...really dont know what went wrong
    I m not able to figure out what to do and how to do
    Down-yes Out-No

कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।
    ·
  • Defcon1 said:

div27 said:

Defcon1 said:

i am all in . after solving 32 ioi tests, being top ranker in iasbaba 60+3 day plan and countless coachingwalas test series (photocopy), my heart still aches that i wasnt allowed to write mains exam.
    this time i would like to do things differently ,since now it hardly takes a month to revise all static parts of gs.

bhai how wud u rate ioi...they claims that 60 questions came frm theirs..afterdoing so many tests what went really wrong then..
    Bhai dont get offended...i too failed pre this time..also solved some ioi papers...really dont know what went wrong
    I m not able to figure out what to do and how to do
    first of all , no one can predict the real upsc exam ques .
    second these test series are to keep a check on your prep.no test series is better than any one else
    and i will rate
    iasbaba60+3 better tan ioi than vision than vajiram than others
    only fault i find in my prep is
    not covering ca too much ..!!
    over emphasis on mains
    never thinking about prelims
    too much optional practice in july
    bhai same to same with me as well...neglected ca...focussed too much on optional and essay widout thinking abt prelims....i think ca part did me this time
    Down-yes Out-No

कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google