The Only Test Series you will ever need to crack Prelims 2017
Join ForumIAS Prelims 2017 Test Series – 31 Tests to cover the full syllabus – with 10 Sectional Tests6 Subjectwise Tests and 8 Simulator Tests ™ to cover the full syllabus. This will be supplemented by 2 Full Length Current Affairs Tests and 1 Test on Economic Survey and India Year Book. On your request, we have also included discussion classes/videos for each Test.

Economics as optional

How many are willing to take Economics as optional? Which books, notes, strategy to refer for its preparation. Seniors help and guidance is required.

Moderator's note: Please refer Rule No. 4 Posting Rules
·

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Are bhai log. kya kissi ne Economics Optional nahi liya hai Mains exam ke liye.seniors.kaha ho.

Moderator's note: Please refer Rule No. 4 Posting Rules
    ·
  • please visit prince dhawan's blog where last yr topper harshika singh has discussed her strategy for economics .
    bhaiya laagat nahi hai ki kauno economics lehan haiin ee exaam maa.
    each-time you're defeated you come closer to the victory
    | political science |didn't qualified in first attempt- 2014, but this isn't the end.
    ·
  • I am thinking of taking economics as my optionals.however,i am not from eco background.cud u kindly share yours so that we can start discussing here after gauging each others proficiency in the subject.i am just a trundler
    ·
  • same case here.. no background in economics.. any senior here who can guide?
    जहाँ जन्नत की उम्मीद ही नहीं वहाँ गुनाहो से क्या डरना..
    ·
  • @MattHardy good to see that som1's in the same boat as mine.as of now,don't think there's any senior guiding us in this regard.i would kindly urge that we start preparin ourselves.i assume u r preparin for 2013 mains itself.if yes,v can surely start discussing here.
    ·
  • @punterdgr8 -- sorry bro, I am actually preparing for 2014.. rather , havent started anything in economics..
    yahan to guidance ki umeed se aa gaya tha... so obviously, my speed and study wont be as systematic as yours.
    जहाँ जन्नत की उम्मीद ही नहीं वहाँ गुनाहो से क्या डरना..
    ·
  • I think we should follow standard books keeping in mind the UPSC mains syllabus becoz hardly any notes or guidance is available for Economics optional. I think we should mainly follow the books suggested by Ms Harshika Singh (AIR 8) in Prince Dhawan's blog, the books list finalised by me is given below:

1)Microeconomics: Advance Microeconomics by Koutsyansis
    2)Macroeconomics: Macroeconomics by Mankiw
    Apart from the book by Ahuja can also be referred for Macro & Micro economics
    3)International economics: Book by Dominc Salvator
    4)Public Finance: Book by Lekhi
    5)Growth & Development : Mishra and Puri
    6)Indian economy for Paper 2:
    Dutta & Sundaram, Mishra & Puri, Economic survey, India Year Book (for govt. schemes)
    7) Financial Express and Economic & political weekly magazine for current affairs on all topics.
    Notes have to be prepared to smooth-en our revision.
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    @Sam_CB hav som of those buks.hav started 4m micro basics.dis mite seem foolish of me to giv eco in such a short time but hav very much decided 2 go 4 it even if it means startin 4m d scratch.guess,v'll hav 2 keep in touch constantly jus to keep ourselves updated.
    @MattHardy all d best,nyways!!!

Moderator's Note: Please refer Rule No. 11 and 12. Posting Rules

Rule 11. Do not use SMS language. Make your content readable.
    Rule 12. Use Correct English and follow basic grammar rules as far as possible.
    ·
  • Hi all,

Even I want to take economics as optional, some of them even suggested a silver lining in economics. Questions will be more theoretical and straight forward, less twists and if we know the concepts we can sail through, not sure how much true is this :)
    ·
  • Even I want to go with Economics optional. I've gone through the previous papers of Economics from 2009. I've attached the same here for the convenience of having all of them at one place.
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_I_2012.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_II_2012.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_I_2011.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_II_2011.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_I_2010.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_II_2010.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_I_2009.pdf
    pdf
    pdf
    ECONOMICS_II_2009.pdf
    ·
  • I have heard that Shankar IAS academy and Brilliant Tutorails provide postal coaching for Economics optional. Anyone having idea about it so that we can refer them for effective prepartion as very less guidance is avialble. It is said that if you can understand the basic concepts of Economics its easier to relate with current happenings.
    ·
  • I think IGNOU notes are one of the best sources for economy. Many are recommending it.
    ·
  • @271274 Can u please specify which IGNOU notes to refer from IGNOU BA and MA Economics course?
    ·
  • I don't know about ignou notes but certainly brilliant won't help as that was what told by one of the toppers.also regarding q's being straight forward,i've gone through the papers and nowhere could i find them to be 'straight forward';could be wrong but that assessment is a bit relative.anyways good to see the thread active.so guys,hit this forum according to your convenience and we shall discuss about it.remember the bigger pool we have the more better to study as someone pointed out 'there's very little guidance available'
    ·
  • @Sam: BA Ignou notes alone will do to a great extent.
    ·
  • @punterdgr8 It's not someone its me who said 'very little guidance' is available, thats because very few people opt for this optional (can be checked by seeing the list of number of candidates taking various optionals for mains in past years). Even after being one of the main stream subjects, due to its complex nature and mathematical background few people only opt it. Questions in UPSC mains in any subject is not straight forward especially in paper I (of economics) well paper 2 is little theroretical. Questions in paper 1 can be tackled by reading economic news and analysis in Hindu, economic times, EPW and other newspapers and magazines. Since on a daily basis so many things are happenning in the world if we be regular, it will be easier for us.
    ·
  • Can someone please clarify my doubts?

1. When FDI & FII comes in, who receives the forex? (Does the investee company or the stake seller get it or they get the converted amount in rupees while RBI keeps the forex?)2. How does this forex get circulated to the people who need it, i.e. the importers?

Thanks
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.
    ·
  • @271274 harshika did she read all these book ?? :O :O
    CSE 2013 : Revolt
    CSE 2014 : Revolution
    ·
  • @woman ....FDI/ FII is received by businesses. It is basically an investment only (the sources are foreign).
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google