Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Probable Essay Topics for UPSC Mains

edited August 2013 in Essay
friends,please suggest some topics relevant for essays and if possible quote some sources from where we can get the complete picture about that essay...an essay a week keeps failure away :)>-
·

Comments

• 1. Women's issues
    2. Militancy, Naxalism, poverty and development, human rights
    3. Rio+20 spinoffs
    4. Indian cinema though the years
    5. Food security, TPDS, Aadhar, etc
    6. Energy security, atomic energy in India, ITER, green energy (remember the Lakshadweepian coconuts)
    7. Financial inclusion
    8. Cybersecurity
    9. Demographic dividend
    10. Fruitful pseudointellectual persuits
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • @arindam sarkar...good one friend except 1 and 10 for completely different reasons all together :-)) .women's issues is way too general and 10th one is way too specific.And may i request you mention a broad framework for the above mentioned essays
    ·
  • @arindam sarkar...good one friend except 1 and 10 for completely different reasons all together :-)) .women's issues is way too general and 10th one is way too specific.And may i request you mention a broad framework for the above mentioned essays
    These are just topics. Expansions would take too much time for one person. Hope others pitch in.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    Even if we just get the topic titles then too it would be great. We can then expand them from various resources on our own. Expanding is not bad though.
    ·
  • Some IR essay topics:

Alternative South-Asian strategy for India: Exploring soft power
    Asia’s defining triangular relationship: China, Japan and India
    Asia's developing power balance and its implications on the resource scramble over the next century
    The European Union as a model for a 'world government'
    ·
  • some of the topics which come to my mind:

1) Sports: Just a part of the game or a business?
    2)Indias demography - A path towards great future or darkness?
    3)The world post 2100
    4)India - a superpower in the making or just another big country?
    5)Indias democracy - an eyewash or a reality?
    ·
  • India seeks-"a growth with no negative externality on environment"
    ·
  • Gandhi-Ambedkar duals perfectly signified the dichtomy of lower caste(dalit) movement
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    :-S
    i don't think this is going to work at all if we continue posting just the topics randomly. i think we should decide ona common issue(Every week say indo china this week) and list 3-4 topics from that issue itself and select one(via voting) and then write the essay on that topic and paste the link/essay here for common evaluation. that way we will not only cover one topic every week but also cover a lot of topics by Oct. :)

whay say @andy133 @Partho @Stardust1901 @fallen_leaves @ArindamSarkar @dilip sirs @other senior members.

Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
    ·
  • @Woodpecker ... This seems like a goo idea .
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    @Woodpecker ... This seems like a goo idea .
    sir let others convey their views also and then we will pick an issue and topic by evening and write something and post it(essay) by saturday evening. :)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    :-S
    i don't think this is going to work at all if we continue posting just the topics randomly. i think we should decide ona common issue(Every week say indo china this week) and list 3-4 topics from that issue itself and select one(via voting) and then write the essay on that topic and paste the link/essay here for common evaluation. that way we will not only cover one topic every week but also cover a lot of topics by Oct. :)

whay say @andy133 @Partho @Stardust1901 @fallen_leaves @ArindamSarkar @dilip sirs @other senior members.

http://forumias.com/discussion/1402/statement-of-interest-forumias-premier-league#Item_10
    ·
  • edited August 2013
    The Growing Water Crisis in India - Challenges, Concerns and Possible solutions!

Take it from me - We will see an essay related to environmental issue this year. My money is on water! :D
    ·
  • Capital punishment and Mercy petition was a lot in news. So was gambling in sports. So, I suggest these topics for essay:
    1. Criminal justice system in India
    2. Betting/gambling has diminished the sheen of sports

Everybody seemingly wants fodder points. So here are some for the topics I wrote:
    1. Criminal justice system: still a legacy of British, it's more punitive than reformatory
    lakhs of undertrials languish in jails. Some even for petty crimes. Recently Supreme Court took up a habeas corpus petition by such an undertrial. But the ques is how many cases is the Court going to accept, coz there are lakhs!
    No. of prisons is less compared to no. of prisoners. Bad state of prisons
    Issue of VIP treatment to VIPS
    Issue of mercy petitions getting delayed for so long and now India is on the verge of executing so many criminals. protests by Amnesty international.
    Authoritative attitude of policemen-delayed police reforms
    Encounter deaths- Supreme court has called it a rarest of the rare crime and such policemen deserve death penalty.
    All is not that bad. Recently Himachal became the first state to introduce open prison system.
    Juvenile justice system- procedure estbd by law to be followed.
    Yet lot remains to be done.

2. Betting/gambling in sports is legal in many countries. it is strictly regulated though.
    Betting occurs, thats not bad. But match fixing is bad.
    In India, Goa recognizes gambling. Horse races are also legally gambled upon. This is a great source of revenue for the govt. Revenue from gambling on a popular game can be used to encourage other sports
    But in Britain it was found that people became dependent on the gambling money specially after recession set in. Also, no amt of regulation can ensure zero fixing.

Well, we can expand on these points. Please contribute your own points as well.
    :)
    ·
  • The Growing Water Crisis in India - Challenges, Concerns and Possible solutions!

Take it from me - We will see an essay related to environmental issue this year. My money is on water! :D
    For sure!!!

L-)
    When they say you can't do it, it definitely means you have to do it!
    ·
  • 1. People vs Parliament
    2. Is Nuclear power an answer to India's growing energy needs post Fukushima?
    ·
  • Just found a great source of essay topics. And the great thing is, that they promise to provide a great list every year. Not all are relevant to us, but some are great :

http://www.bilderbergmeetings.org/conferences-10s.html

The itinerary of the Bilderberg group meetings.
    ·
  • Who owns the internet?
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.
    ·
  • Who owns the internet?
    I do. ;) I'll let you all use it - no preconditions. :)
    ·
  • Like the time you let us all use Folder4IAS? ;)
    ·
  • Who owns the internet?

NSA Says "and I thought my jokes were bad"... [-X :-))
    ·
  • Like the time you let us all use Folder4IAS? ;)
    Not really. Somebody else owned that. I only own the boring parts of the internet. :)
    ·
  • Who owns the internet?

NSA Says "and I thought my jokes were bad"... [-X :-))
    Yeah. Those guys can't crack a joke to save their lives - too serious. Anyway, I joke enough to compensate well.

(Ok, enough PJ for me for today :)). )
    ·
  • How about POLICE-PUBLIC PARTNERSHIP?
    ·
  • edited November 2014
    Very strong feeling Nehru may be asked. Reasons

1) 125 birth centenary of Nehru I think.

2) Modi trying to discard UPSC. So grudge on Modi. :D
    I don't know where I am going but I am on my way.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog