Courses for CSE 2018 by ForumIAS
MGP 2018 - ( 40 Tests : 20 Half Length Tests + 20 Full Length Tests) - Beins 1st October | Prelims - 1st October | CGP 2018 - 25th September

[Official] Doubt Thread For Polity & Economy - IAS 2016

Let's gear up for pre/mains 2016.We can post queries related to Indian Polity, Constitution,Law,Judiciary,Govt Policies/Schemes/Missions and Programmes.
Request the mods to let this be the official polity thread for 2015-2016.

Here's one question to start with :
1) Recently the govt has announced Underground Coal Gasification(UCG) Policy.What are long term implications on our economy and environment.Also discuss the carbon sequestration method in brief.

Message from root: Please create such threads for candidates targeting for 2016. Senior players can help freshers through such threads. Please be constructive in your use of ForumIAS
·

Comments

• "The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for winding up of National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC) with immediate effect as the Council has fulfilled the mandate for which it was constituted."

Mandate of NMCC was: (Copy pasting)
    As per its mandate, the NMCC is expected to improve the competitiveness of industry which in turn will push up the growth rate of the manufacturing sector. Improving the competitiveness of the sector requires continuous effort on the part of the Government and the industry.

How can we say than that NMCC has fulfilled the mandate for which it was contituted??
    Your views over this decision??
    ·
  • Changes in withdrawal from,EPF AND PPF. why so much confusion? Pros n cons
    ·
  • punditjee said:

Changes in withdrawal from,EPF AND PPF. why so much confusion? Pros n cons

There is thread regarding this... People have explained it there....
    ·
  • Anyone have information regarding project seabird??
    ·
  • Question. Which of the following is unitary element in the indian federal system ?
    i) Decentralisation of powers
    ii) Appointment of Governors
    iii) unequal representation in Rajya sabha
    iv) Judicial Review
    v) All India services
    vi) Bicameral Legislature

A. i , iii , vi
    B. ii , iii, v
    C. iii, v, vi
    D. ii, iv, v
    E. None of the above.

Please post your ans. and provide the source for the same. Thanks
    ·
  • Question. On which matter, it is not essential to take advice from the council of ministers for the president.
    A. Appointment of Ambassadors
    B. To Assent on Bills
    C. To assent on Bills referred from Governors
    D. To dissolve Loksabha
    E. To Assent on Constitutional amendment Bill

Please post your ans. and provide the source for the same. Thanks
    ·
  • @subject
    1st question.answr should be -b
    2nd question answr should be-a & c

@guyz dere r certain provisions like citizenship,5 &6 th schedule,state reorgnistns which doesnt need special majority n r outside perview f 368.does it mean president not obliged to give his assent n can use his veto in dese cases.plz elaborate thnx
    ·
  • @subject
    1st question.answr should be -b
    2nd question answr should be-a & c

@guyz dere r certain provisions like citizenship,5 &6 th schedule,state reorgnistns which doesnt need special majority n r outside perview f 368.does it mean president not obliged to give his assent n can use his veto in dese cases.plz elaborate thnx

sorry i wrongly interprtd qustn 2-answr is b,d,e
    n dis is my challenge doctr saab @DrKingSchultz
    ·
  • @resilience.. Good sir, President has no discretion in matters of dissolution of Loksabha. He can dissolve it only when the CoM recommends it.
    On the other hand, President has discretion in dismissing the CoM if he feels they have lost the majority in the Loksabha or if the Loksabha passes a NCM. He also has discretion in appointing the PM if no party has received a clear majority after elections.
    Correct me if I am wrong. :)

yes i lost d challnge n its gud to lose den to b ignorant.thnx t.c. :)
    ·
  • @resilience.. Good sir, President has no discretion in matters of dissolution of Loksabha. He can dissolve it only when the CoM recommends it.
    On the other hand, President has discretion in dismissing the CoM if he feels they have lost the majority in the Loksabha or if the Loksabha passes a NCM. He also has discretion in appointing the PM if no party has received a clear majority after elections.

King bhai when CoM looses the majority in the lok sabha, President can use his discretion(CoM recommendation is not required here) either to dissolve or to appoint any other PM, by giving him time to prove the majority on the floor.
    ·
  • If motion of thanks is amended in Lok sabha, then is it MUST for govt to resign or they MAY? I read somewhere it amounts to defeat of govt! But does that mean they will have to resign ?
    ·
  • Governor
    1.which of following is correct wrt Governor
    a.Constitutionally eligibility for post of Governor includes citizen of India,>/=35 yrs of age,should not be resident of same state.
    b.The Governor takes final decision on disqualifilation of MLAS based on consultation with speaker of the assembly.
    c.The Governor of sate appoints -vice chancellor of universities,chairman of state public service commission,chairman of state election commissions etc.
    d.the money bill and constitutional amendment bills are presented only after prior recommandation of Governor.

2.which among following are discretionary power of Governor
    i.dissolution of state legislative assembly when COM has lost its majority
    ii.reservation of bills for the consideration by President.
    iii.appointment of finance commission of state,speaker of the house and chief minister.
    iv.recommandation for president rule in state.
    v.issuance of ordinance.
    choose d corrct code
    a.i,ii,iv and v only.
    b.all
    c.i,ii,iii,v only
    d.i,ii,iv only

plz answr
    ·
  • Governor
    a.Constitutionally eligibility for post of Governor includes citizen of India,>/=35 yrs of age,should not be resident of same state.
    b.The Governor takes final decision on disqualifilation of MLAS based on consultation with speaker of the assembly.
    c.The Governor of sate appoints -vice chancellor of universities,chairman of state public service commission,chairman of state election commissions etc.
    d.the money bill and constitutional amendment bills are presented only after prior recommandation of Governor.

iii.appointment of finance commission of state,speaker of the house and chief minister.
    v.issuance of ordinance.
    choose d corrct code
    a.i,ii,iv and v only.
    b.all
    c.i,ii,iii,v only
    d.i,ii,iv only

plz answr

1-a
    2-d
    ·
  • Governor

v.issuance of ordinance.
    choose d corrct code
    a.i,ii,iv and v only.
    b.all
    c.i,ii,iii,v only
    d.i,ii,iv only

plz answr

1-a
    2-d
    Q1 answer should be "c" ; a couldn't be the answer as constitution says nothing w.r.t latter part of option that is "he should not be resident of same state"
    ·
  • If motion of thanks is amended in Lok sabha, then is it MUST for govt to resign or they MAY? I read somewhere it amounts to defeat of govt! But does that mean they will have to resign ?

yes, if an amendment is passed to motion of thanks in Lok sabha it would amount to no-confidence in the government and concerned govt will have to resign. However, similar case in Rajya sabha amounts to government's inability to have consensus with the opposition.
    ·
  • @DrKingSchultz & @storyteller sub khatam utam kar k baithe ho yar tum log.nice answr keep goin :)
    ·
  • edited April 2016
    Supreme court
    1.Choose the correct option
    a.Constitutionally the eligibility for appointment for sc judge includes -citizen of India,>=35 yrs of age,High court judge for >=5 yrs only.
    b.every opinion of sc in advisory/reference jurisdiction is binding upon president .
    c.the impeachment motion of sc judge is non-existencial after dissolution of Parliament.
    d.Constitutionally sc judges can be impeached on charges of proven misbehaviour and incapacity only.

2.which among following is exclusive original jurisdiction
    a.opinion on pre-constitutional treaty and agreements.
    b.enforcing fundamental rights of an aggrieved person through issuance of writ.
    c.dispute settlement between union and states.
    d.inter state water disputes.

3.which among following explains Judicial review .
    a.jurisdiction based on procedure established by law.
    b.jurisdiction to maintain supremacy of constitution.
    c.both
    d.jurisdiction to reinforce status of supreme court as custodian of constitution,guardian of fundamental and legal rights.

4.Which of following does not ensures indepedence of supreme court.
    a.Appointment of judges on consultation with members of judiciary.
    b.expenditure i.e. salaries,allownces charged on consolidated fund of india.
    c.Parliament can neither curtail nor extend the jurisdiction of sc.
    d.under dpsp state endevours to seperate executive from judiciary.
    ·
  • 1-d
    2-c
    3-c
    4-c

Kindly tell the correct answers
    ·
  • 1-d
    2-c
    3-c
    4-c

Kindly tell the correct answers

yes bro/sis ol r right :) i think corrct option was simply an easy catch.btw u r prepring furiously atb.
    ·
  • Q.1.which of following are set of non-constitutional statutory bodies.
    a.central vigilance commission,national commission for linguistic minorities,national human rights commision.
    b.solicitor general,Sebi,enforcement directorate.
    c.CVC,Forward market commision,national commission for minorities.
    d SEBI,NIti ayog,IRDA

2.WHICH among following is not the functions for national commission of STs-
    a.To examine and participate in socio-economic planning of sts.
    b.to determine minimum support prices for minor forest produce.
    c.to suggest measures to control and eliminate shifting cultivations.
    d.all are functions.

3.Article 338 in part XVI is entitled as-
    a.special provisions relating ro certain classes.
    b.special provisions relating to certain class and minorities.
    c.special provisions relating to certain castes.
    d.special provisions relating to SCs nd STs.

4.consider following statements-
    i.state reorganistion commission 1953-55 recommanded for constitutional status to national integration council.
    ii.any amendment to national commission of scs or sts will be constitutional amemdment requring retification by grtr then equal to half of state legislative assemblies.

which of above are correct.
    a.i only
    b.i n ii
    c.both incorrect
    d.ii only
    ·
  • 1.D
    2.D
    3.D
    4.B
    ·
    a.central vigilance commission,national commission for linguistic minorities,national human rights commision.
    c.CVC, Forward Markets Commission, National Commission for Minorities.
    d SEBI,NIti ayog,IRDA

NITI Ayog is not Statutory.
    ·
    c.CVC, Forward Markets Commission, National Commission for Minorities.
    d SEBI,NIti ayog,IRDA

NITI Ayog is not Statutory.

Yes!! You are right. Got confused because of NCM.
    ·
    c.CVC,Forward market commision,national commission for minorities.
    d SEBI,NIti ayog,IRDA

2.WHICH among following is not the functions for national commission of STs-
    a.To examine and participate in socio-economic planning of sts.
    b.to determine minimum support prices for minor forest produce.
    c.to suggest measures to control and eliminate shifting cultivations.
    d.all are functions.

3.Article 338 in part XVI is entitled as-
    a.special provisions relating ro certain classes.
    b.special provisions relating to certain class and minorities.
    c.special provisions relating to certain castes.
    d.special provisions relating to SCs nd STs.

4.consider following statements-
    i.state reorganistion commission 1953-55 recommanded for constitutional status to national integration council.
    ii.any amendment to national commission of scs or sts will be constitutional amemdment requring retification by grtr then equal to half of state legislative assemblies.

which of above are correct.
    a.i only
    b.i n ii
    c.both incorrect
    d.ii only

1.c
    2.b
    3.a
    4.perhaps none i hav no idea.
    ·
  • edited April 2016
    Constitution amendment-

1.The costitutional provision for citizenship-acquisitation and termination is amended through.
    a.ordinary bill beyond scope of art.368
    b.special majority in parliament.
    c.special majority with ratification of >= 50%state assemblies.
    d.through executive order.

2.which of following is correct wrt constituyional amendment-
    i.a bill for the purpose can be introduced by minister or pvt MP in eithet house without prior recommandation of President.
    ii.there is no provision of joint sitting in case of any deadlock.
    iii.federal provisions are to be ratified by >=50% of state assemblies within 14 days.
    iv.the president can neither withhold nor return the bill for reconsideration.
    v.the bill collapse with dissolution of loksabha.
    a.all are correct
    b.i,ii,iii & iv
    c.i,ii,iv & v
    d.i,ii & iv

3.consider the following and choose correct sets of constitutional amendment requiring ratification by >= 50% state assemblies.
    i.delimitation constituencies
    ii.manner of election of president.
    iii.dpsp
    iv.number of pusine judges in supreme court.
    a.all
    b.i,ii,iii
    c.ii ,iii
    d.ii only
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog