Whether BPSC top rank service is better against Maharatna PSU job?

Dear friends,
I am working in Maharatna PSU for past 10 years. I had appeared first time in BPSC this year and now preparing for Mains exam. But I am unable to put my sincere effort because I am doubtful that whether joining even top rank service of BPSC is good for me or not @ age of around 35 years.
Since, my age limit for Civil Service is over. I had appeared 3 mains exam of Civil service but couldn’t finally selected. Because of my interest in administrative service and also as I want to work in Bihar, I tried first time in BPSC this year.
Please advise me that whether top rank service via BPSC mains exam can be preferred over Maharatna PSU job (current salary: Gross – approx. Rs. 1.0 Lakhs/ month + Annual incentive of approx. Rs. 3.0 Lakhs)

Comments

• These are existentialist questions for which there are no surreal answers.
  • abhigail said:

Dear friends,
    I am working in Maharatna PSU for past 10 years. I had appeared first time in BPSC this year and now preparing for Mains exam. But I am unable to put my sincere effort because I am doubtful that whether joining even top rank service of BPSC is good for me or not @ age of around 35 years.
    Since, my age limit for Civil Service is over. I had appeared 3 mains exam of Civil service but couldn’t finally selected. Because of my interest in administrative service and also as I want to work in Bihar, I tried first time in BPSC this year.
    Please advise me that whether top rank service via BPSC mains exam can be preferred over Maharatna PSU job (current salary: Gross – approx. Rs. 1.0 Lakhs/ month + Annual incentive of approx. Rs. 3.0 Lakhs)

apologies beforehand.but i will state you the reality.
    if you are yadav or kurmi go ahead.
    or else stay back. hope you get the point.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • I can't plan my career based on the current govt status.
    In general, which post is expected to be better in respect of my present Job at PSU.
    Further, as i know that my salary will be reduced by 1/3 rd approx in SPSC but i want to know that what other benefits is available in BPSC top Job?
    What is the promotion aspects for various services, what max promotion i can reach in my 24-25 years of services in BPSC top Job viz. Dy. Collector, DSP or Commercial tax officer?
  • abhigail said:

I can't plan my career based on the current govt status.
    In general, which post is expected to be better in respect of my present Job at PSU.
    Further, as i know that my salary will be reduced by 1/3 rd approx in SPSC but i want to know that what other benefits is available in BPSC top Job?
    What is the promotion aspects for various services, what max promotion i can reach in my 24-25 years of services in BPSC top Job viz. Dy. Collector, DSP or Commercial tax officer?

Then go ahead buddy..If you got selected as Dy. Collector then you must will retire as D.M and if you got selected as Dy.SP then you must will retire as DIG..
  • mrlobo said:

abhigail said:

Dear friends,

apologies beforehand.but i will state you the reality.
    if you are yadav or kurmi go ahead.
    or else stay back. hope you get the point.

in that case you need not brag your status of your monthly salary.nor did you have to ask for public opinion for your so called sudden liking for doing for something for bihar.

if you had the deep intentions,you would have done it anyways.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • u wont become dig...people who joined at DSP and SDM at 25 became SP and DM at 53,55...
  • kgips said:

u wont become dig...people who joined at DSP and SDM at 25 became SP and DM at 53,55...

Don't know about other states... But in Rajasthan one can reach upto IG level. At present one would take 15-17 years reaching SP....and yes promotions are a little bit slow in administrative services....
  • mdghori said:

abhigail said:

I can't plan my career based on the current govt status.

Then go ahead buddy..If you got selected as Dy. Collector then you must will retire as D.M and if you got selected as Dy.SP then you must will retire as DIG..
    1 st attempt hai kya?
    kindly check your facts. your children will start preparing for civil services and still you would be an SP at the most.
  • kgips said:

u wont become dig...people who joined at DSP and SDM at 25 became SP and DM at 53,55...

Don't know about other states... But in Rajasthan one can reach upto IG level. At present one would take 15-17 years reaching SP....and yes promotions are a little bit slow in administrative services....
    Then i am compelled to tell you that:

1.In UP, a DSP spends more than half of his/her career waiting for timely promotions.
    2.Due to the trend of people getting selected at 34-35 yrs of age on average, you can expect to become an SP at the time of your superannuation.
    3. There is too much IPS lobbying after Ad.SP level. Depending on the incumbent govt., things change. If it is SP(Party), you can expect favoritism, meaning you can supercede an IPS for a dist. posting.
    4. There is excess pressure on DSP's because they are the middle level officers catering to the circles and all decisions to the Kotwali level flows through them and at the same time SHO's are most hostile to new PPS recruits, especially in UP and Bihar. So, expect some tussles
  • very slow promotion in bihar...aur ab to lalu ji wapis aa gaye....promotion hoga bhi ki nahi pata nhi....promotion to chodo, salary mil jaye time pe wahi bahaut h.
  • edited December 2015

kgips said:

Then i am compelled to tell you that:

1.In UP, a DSP spends more than half of his/her career waiting for timely promotions.
    2.Due to the trend of people getting selected at 34-35 yrs of age on average, you can expect to become an SP at the time of your superannuation.
    3. There is too much IPS lobbying after Ad.SP level. Depending on the incumbent govt., things change. If it is SP(Party), you can expect favoritism, meaning you can supercede an IPS for a dist. posting.
    4. There is excess pressure on DSP's because they are the middle level officers catering to the circles and all decisions to the Kotwali level flows through them and at the same time SHO's are most hostile to new PPS recruits, especially in UP and Bihar. So, expect some tussles
    If such a situation existed in karnataka then I think most of the talented lot wouldn't even mind applying for psc exam. In karnataka, from dysp u need max 8 yrs to become Addnl SP another 8 max for SP and after 25 yrs of service starting from DySP compulsorily you'll be IGP. Beyond IGP you cant go, thats the last rank given.
  • KKSKKS
    edited December 2015
    What is the level of competition in BPSC compared to UPSC? I am planning to take Mechanical Engineering and LSW as optionals for mains. Is scaling too high in case of engineering subjects?
    IFS 2016- Rank under 10
    CSE 2016- Rank 550s
  • KKS said:

What is the level of competition in BPSC compared to UPSC? I am planning to take Mechanical Engineering and LSW as optionals for mains. Is scaling too high in case of engineering subjects?

I am also planning to take Mech Engg and LSW. Do u have previous year question paper for Mechanical Engg optional in BPSC Mains. I have filed RTI for the previous 5 years question paper for Mechanical Engg.
  • What are other perks and facilities available for BPSC top job officers such as govt quarter, servant, transport I.e. official vehicle and other facilities such as Medical benefits etc?

What is the promotion aspects for commercial tax officer?
    In the last exam of BPSC I.e. 53-55th exam, the UP boy has got rank 1 but he has opted Commercial tax officer. In UPPCS, the top post is SDM, DSP and Asst commissioner Commercial tax but in BPSC, the top job may be Dy. Collector, DSP and Commercial tax officer. As I have heard, the commercial tax officer become Assistant commissioner Commercial tax after 8-10 years. Why there is so much difference in the post offered by BPSC and UPPCS. If there is so much disparity, then UP guy can't opt Commercial tax officer in Bihar.
    I want to look for the positive aspects of BPSC top job which makes myself motivated for continuing my preparation.
  • abhigail said:

KKS said:

I am also planning to take Mech Engg and LSW. Do u have previous year question paper for Mechanical Engg optional in BPSC Mains. I have filed RTI for the previous 5 years question paper for Mechanical Engg.
    No, I dont have. Please also share with me if you get the question. I think very few people will be taking mechanical as an optional. Are you appearing for CSE mains?
    IFS 2016- Rank under 10
    CSE 2016- Rank 550s
  • KKS said:

abhigail said:

KKS said:

No, I dont have. Please also share with me if you get the question. I think very few people will be taking mechanical as an optional. Are you appearing for CSE mains?
    I will share it if I will receive the same from BPSC.
    I m not appearing in Civil service mains this year.
  • abhigail said:

What are other perks and facilities available for BPSC top job officers such as govt quarter, servant, transport I.e. official vehicle and other facilities such as Medical benefits etc?

What is the promotion aspects for commercial tax officer?
    In the last exam of BPSC I.e. 53-55th exam, the UP boy has got rank 1 but he has opted Commercial tax officer. In UPPCS, the top post is SDM, DSP and Asst commissioner Commercial tax but in BPSC, the top job may be Dy. Collector, DSP and Commercial tax officer. As I have heard, the commercial tax officer become Assistant commissioner Commercial tax after 8-10 years. Why there is so much difference in the post offered by BPSC and UPPCS. If there is so much disparity, then UP guy can't opt Commercial tax officer in Bihar.
    I want to look for the positive aspects of BPSC top job which makes myself motivated for continuing my preparation.

Any guys please comment on the above, particularly about commercial tax officer.....
    Do any one or their freinds/ closed relatives have any real /actual experience about the top services of BPSC?

• IPS officer's in Bihar. ..there are many BPS officer's alloted rank of IPS...
    pdf
    pdf
    IPS_BIHAR_CADRE-2.pdf
  • Some BPSC officer's who are at present DIG...
    pdf
    pdf
    DIG_Rank.pdf
  • List of SP in Bihar...
    pdf
    pdf
    SP_Rank.pdf
  • BPS officer's in Bihar....
    pdf
    pdf
    BPS_Posted_in_Bihar-1.pdf
  • Thanks Vipul..
    This list reflects that after 8 -9 years of service, there is probability of getting rank of IPS (if I m correct).
    Now, I believe that at least DSP is better than my present job at Maharatna PSU even after 10 years of my current service.
    I m now feeling motivated towards my preparation.

However, if u find similar information about Dy Collector or Commercial tax officer, then please share with me...
  • abhigail said:

Thanks Vipul..
    This list reflects that after 8 -9 years of service, there is probability of getting rank of IPS (if I m correct).
    Now, I believe that at least DSP is better than my present job at Maharatna PSU even after 10 years of my current service.

However, if u find similar information about Dy Collector or Commercial tax officer, then please share with me...

Sir BPSC second time introduced SDO in Bihar...earlier best rank opt only BDO or CO..after 12 yrs service you promoted as SDO...now you directly recruit as SDO..which is much better...
  • Rank of IPS you will get only after 20 yrs of service but if u are around 30yrs old u retired from DIG...
  • BAS officer's in Bihar....
    pdf
    pdf
    BAS-Civil-List-2011.pdf
  • abhigail said:

Thanks Vipul..

Sir BPSC second time introduced SDO in Bihar...earlier best rank opt only BDO or CO..after 12 yrs service you promoted as SDO...now you directly recruit as SDO..which is much better...
    The post as per advertisment is deputy collector and not SDO. Whether deputy collector is same as SDO? I heard that deputy collector will become SDO after minimum 8-10 years.
  • Rank of IPS you will get only after 20 yrs of service but if u are around 30yrs old u retired from DIG...

From the list of DIG, what date is reflecting their BPSC batch year; I thought that in the list, it is represented as Name (Batch of BPSC).
    For eg., Upendra kr Sinha (1999) got IPS rank in 2007. I thought that he is from 1999 Batch of BPSC and become IPS in 2007...
  • abhigail said:

Rank of IPS you will get only after 20 yrs of service but if u are around 30yrs old u retired from DIG...

From the list of DIG, what date is reflecting their BPSC batch year; I thought that in the list, it is represented as Name (Batch of BPSC).
    For eg., Upendra kr Sinha (1999) got IPS rank in 2007. I thought that he is from 1999 Batch of BPSC and become IPS in 2007...
    I am sure this time Depty collector recruit as SDO don't worry. ..RDO will became BDO after 2 yrs of service...you recruit as ASDO after 2 yrs u will became SDO...
  • BAS officers....
    pdf
    pdf
    BAS-Special-Secretary.pdf
  • BAS officer's...
    pdf
    pdf
    Additional-Secretaries.pdf
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog