Mathematics optional for UPSC Mains

Anyone giving with mathematics optional ? How were the scores in mains for mathematics optional

Comments

• Yes I am.
    I got 71 in p1 and 142 in p2. I am fully satisfied with my marks because I was very less prepared. Managed to score that much only because I was in touch with some topics during my teaching in Delhi Univ.
    However, overall I have been a good student in Maths. Studied from IIT Bombay then cleared CSIR JRF and then appointed as a Asst Prof in DU.
    This year I hope to break the ice..........
    Mathematics CSE 2015
  • Me too
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
  • me too guys ...
    have completed syllabus .... appeared in test series in dec- jan
    but little confused with my pre score .. getting 245 .. but in this forum people predicting cutt off much higher :(
  • me too guys ...
    have completed syllabus .... appeared in test series in dec- jan
    but little confused with my pre score .. getting 245 .. but in this forum people predicting cutt off much higher :(
    hii i am also preparing for 2013 mains, planning to take mathematics. If you can help me with booklist and source list for mains, will be of great help.
  • I am also taking mathematics.
  • Yes I am.
    I got 71 in p1 and 142 in p2. I am fully satisfied with my marks because I was very less prepared. Managed to score that much only because I was in touch with some topics during my teaching in Delhi Univ.
    However, overall I have been a good student in Maths. Studied from IIT Bombay then cleared CSIR JRF and then appointed as a Asst Prof in DU.
    This year I hope to break the ice..........
    can you please tell about your correct attempt in the exam ? just wanted to get an idea of scaling. have heard that there is heavy scaling in maths
    Arise awake and stop not until the goal is reached :)
  • edited May 2013
    @crazee Dude it was my first attempt...

Regarding scaling, yes they have scaled first paper heavily. But this year they scaled not just Maths but other paper too (just see the mark of Pub Ad).

I scored 71 after attempting <200 in paper 1. So if one attempt 80 to 90 % in both the paper a good score (compared to humanities) could be achieved.
    Mathematics CSE 2015
  • @crazee Dude it was my first attempt...

Regarding scaling, yes they have scaled first paper heavily. But this year they scaled not just Maths but other paper too (just see the mark of Pub Ad).

I scored 71 after attempting <200 in paper 1. So if one attempt 80 to 90 % in both the paper a good score (compared to humanities) could be achieved.</p>
    thanks man :)
    People scored 40-50 in other subjects in paper 1 thats why I wanted to know.
    Arise awake and stop not until the goal is reached :)
  • Me too Taking Maths..Last yr
    Paper 1- 91
    Paper 2- 160
  • Mathematics material for sale

Earlier I was having mathematics and physics as my optional. But, now I have chosen to go for Physics and hence interested in selling my mathematics material. Material includes:
    1. Xeroxed material of VVR( K Venkanna- IMS institute) - Rs 1400
    2. Boooks mentioned on Kashish Mittal and Prakash RP blog

Books will be sold at around 60-70% of MRP. All books are brand new. If anyone is interested then PM me or if you want to inspect the material personally, you can visit IITB, Mumbai.
  • Hi All,

Little introduction of mine: I have appeared in two mains with physics and Math. This time i am dropping physics.
    I have few difficulties in Fluid mechanics ( some portion), Abstract algebra (some portion) and real analysis(some portion).
    To make this thread more useful should we discuss direct topics/doubts etc? It will benefit all. What others say?
  • @abhish0001 I too think that we can discuss direct topics/doubts.It will be useful for all.
  • hi...who's test series is best for maths optional in delhi?
  • @abhish0001 its a real good idea
  • Hi,
    I am using M.D. Raisinghania for Fluid Mechanics and assume that every one is using the same. But I need to know what all chapters every one is doing? do we need to cover motion of cylinder? I covered fluid mechanics from 12 markers point of view. But now I am planning to cover this completely.
  • Hey guys i want to take mathematics as an optional subject.Please give me some brief idea about it,marks statistics and other things..Thanks
  • edited July 2013
    @gourav1919
    I need following material
    Xeroxed material of VVR( K Venkanna- IMS institute)
    Statics - Krishna Series
    Dynamics - Krishna Series
    Fluid Dynamics - M.D. Raisinghania
    Mechanics - Krishna Series (Rigid Dynamics vol.-1 and Vo.-II)
    Linear Programming - Krishna Series
    Suresh
    msureshuh[at]gmail[dot]com

[Moderator note: Do not mention email in posts]
  • @DareDevil @scoob_88 : What is a good (and average) score in optional after scaling out of 500 to secure a place in coveted pdf assuming you have done average in GS?
  • @DareDevil @scoob_88 : What is a good (and average) score in optional after scaling out of 500 to secure a place in coveted pdf assuming you have done average in GS?
    Leave good or bad. If your optional is Maths, try hard to score not less than 300. It is achievable.

Mathematics, and for that matter other science/engineering optional, is know for its wonder. Unlike the humanities subject, here if you answer a question then answer it rightly. Otherwise, examiner will not give any mark for the worlds, symbols and digits.

Therefore, read some standard books, solve lots of unsolved problems and be well prepared to face any variations, if any, in the paper, . Mathematician will figure in top 20 this year.
    Mathematics CSE 2015
  • Guys, Does anyone here have any idea where the solutions of previous year question papers can be found
  • Guys, Does anyone here have any idea where the solutions of previous year question papers can be found
    Why you need solution? Read the concerned topic and then try to solve the questions..........

If you are unable to solve, then let me know. I will try to upload scanned answer..........
    Mathematics CSE 2015
  • In this thread we need more participation. Mathematics provide very good opportunity this year. We can discuss problems and upload test series etc if possible.
  • In this thread we need more participation. Mathematics provide very good opportunity this year. We can discuss problems and upload test series etc if possible.
    Hmmm.

I am solving exercise problems of Books, therefore, do not feel the need of referring test series.

Anyway, I am staying at home so do not have any such coaching materials to practice.

Mathematics CSE 2015
    Hmmm.

I am solving exercise problems of Books, therefore, do not feel the need of referring test series.

Anyway, I am staying at home so do not have any such coaching materials to practice.

How are you tackling abstract algebra and dynamics part in paper 2? That has been a problem for me.
  • Dynamics is more like History. You need to remember lots of formulas and in most of the cases even the solution of some of the standard problems. I have a desi writer (G.P. srivastava) book but it is just ok. One another book that is generally followed by the Universities is written by some M. Ray. This one is better to see.

Regarding Abstract algebra, this falls under my area of excellence so for me it poses no challenge.

For beginner, I will suggest H.G Gallian's book. One of the most simplest book on Abstract Algebra and once you do that UPSC's question will fall short of yours' standard. For more knowledge, read Herstien.

Mathematics CSE 2015
  • How difficult is fluid dynamics .. the book by rai singhania seems quite complex
  • @abhish0001 , @DareDevil

What is your approach for real analysis ...... the book by rai singhania is quite vast and elaborate .. do we need to solve all the questions

kindly reply

• I think prakash raj purohit blog gives you chapter wise details of real analysis. that along with previous year questions must serve your purpose.
  • @abhish0001 , @DareDevil

What is your approach for real analysis ...... the book by rai singhania is quite vast and elaborate .. do we need to solve all the questions

kindly reply

I just finished the book "Introduction to Real Analysis" By Robet G. Bartle.

The book contains everything you need. you can download from http://bib.tiera.ru/

This book is referred in DU, i myself taught from this book to B.Sc 3rd yr. Therefore if the paper setter happens to be from DU you know what will be his/her source...

I will suggest buy a hard copy. The book is really awesome yet simple.
    Mathematics CSE 2015
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog