Can Bitcoins be a global currency?

Hi everyone...we all know what bitcoins are
But can it be seen as global currency ????

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style

Comments

• edited November 2015
    [content irrelevant][content removed]
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • to know that if bitcoin can be used as currency/money,,,,
    first lets see what is the function of money and what characteristics currency shall have:

- Money shall have these characteristics to perform the required functions:

- unit of account - that is people come to term the value of things in currency terms, for example, 1 litre of milk is equal to 1 bitcoin
    - medium of exchange - that is u can actually hand it over to me or in case of bitcoin transfer the required currency in my account
    - store of value - its value shall stay a bit constant (in any case this is not really true even for fiat currency) so value can fluctuate a bit
    - other characteristics - like portable, durable, limited quantity, uniform

Does Bitcoin have these characteristics?
    Mostly

But what are the problems with bitcoin?

The problem is if rupee falls the whole India is in trouble and government will do any lengths to save it,,but if bitcoins fall no government is interested… So risk will be completely yours,,,,

Second, for something informal like Bitcoin, why shall i put my trust in it. For example, people even check 500 rupee notes 1000 times before accepting it,,,so what guarantees the surety of bitcoin. What if i m being ripped off,,,,,so except internet freaks people will stay away from it

Bitcoins are being mined randomly by people,, i don't know if rich people will ever accept that a new currency comes in and suddenly slaves become kings (of course rich people decide most of the things,,,,,the very fact that there are shouts of returning back to gold standard is one example)

Nonetheless, these arguments does not rule out probability of bitcoins or some other coded letters becoming global currency in distant future. But chances are less till the time the states have their hold.

I am not too sure if i have been able to answer the exact question posed. But hopefully shed some light,,,others can jump in with more insights,,,
  • it could . But do we need it ?
    It is mostly used by people (as of now) for mostly

-buying e-products ,
    -shady products ,
    -those who don't want to pay taxes(govt's will control it if it goes mainstream)
    -ease of payment

Now with rise of digital payments and (payment banks in India's case), digital goods etc & ease of payment will increase.

Also to buy bitcoins you still need dollars (either to buy directly or to invest in mining machines) so that further discourages the concept of " e money " .

• Created in 2007, the world’s first decentralized currency now an accepted form of payment in dozens of countries around the world. As more countries begin to adopt this innovative technology, it’s clear that Bitcoin has the potential to become the new global currency not tied to a specific country or central bank.
  • Yes. Bitcoins is the future of currency. Evolution of currency always followed technological evolution. From metal currency to paper and plastic currency ( debit +credit cards) . Now its digital currency. Besides technological reasoning it also has obvious financial reason to be the future of currency. Current monetary system is deepshit in corrupt practices. Central banking system is failing miserably from bank of America to IMF. Also the other financial institutions like goldman sachs are not in congruence with the demand of world financial system. So the people have started believing more in the decentralised monetary syatem.
  • Created in 2007, the world’s first decentralized currency now an accepted form of payment in dozens of countries around the world. As more countries begin to adopt this innovative technology, it’s clear that Bitcoin has the potential to become the new global currency not tied to a specific country or central bank.

I think its 2009 not 2007. the bitcoin network came into existence with the release of the first open source bitcoin client and the issuance of the first bitcoins, with Satoshi Nakamoto.
  • @ted_cruz your thoughts bro
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog