Do we need to make a flow chart,diagram even in essay. please give some tips to write a good essay.

please suggest ideas for essay.

thanks
"If you don't quit, and don't cheat, and don't run home when trouble arrives, you can only win."

Comments

• I dnt thnk you should use diagrams, but flow chart can be used if it helps you in explaining a point in less words. For essay you can see preparenevaluate.com they are doing a pretty gud job.
  • thanks a lot, will got through this one...
    "If you don't quit, and don't cheat, and don't run home when trouble arrives, you can only win."
  • @Neyawn :

I also have this doubt, if you can help here.

If I draw a a diagram/flowchart in my essay (which is helpful, and not like unnecessary stuffing to draw attention), will my essay become like a GS answer ? will it leave bad taste, like examiner thinking that this guy does not even know that essay is a literary write up and not answer to a question where you use diagrams to explain things better. Any suggestions ?
    Life Is Calling. Where Are You?
  • @etat and @neyawn @babur +1 all
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • edited November 2015
    Abey Flow chart banao yaa NAA banao , framing karo yaa NAA karo , structure banao yaa NAA banao , design banaao yaa NAA banaao , Colorful ball pens use karo yaa NAA karo ,.........Aapki marzi , jo karna hai kariye ..

LEKIN , Content accha hona chahiye jo likha hai uska .......buss..........Kyonki agar content accha nahi hua to fir kuch bhi kar lo , marks nahi milne wale ......
  • My personal experience. You can do anything you like. But the key is content and structure. Content, because - that's what essay is seeking from you. Structure, because - it makes the difference, finally. All have content but falter in structure. Now structure is nothing but letting the ideas flow logically and in sequence.

I have given one Mains, last year. There was an essay on Tourism too. I drew graphs and some maps too(bad one actually) here. Overall, got 148 in essay. While others who just wrote in paragraphs too got good marks. No particular strategy works but I believe, content and structure remain constant.
    That pretty much sums it up, I guess and answers your question @sparkle.

If you can draw something that usually comes in Yojana, that format I guess could be rewarding.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Thank you so much @Neyawn and @AeroplaneDriver

Just one more doubt.. When we try to cover too many angles in our essay, isn't there a risk that essay becomes a "khichdi". For one of my mock tests I got this feedback recently that you have been trying to cover too many things in ur essay.

So how to decide how much is too much ? If we dont cover many angles than there is a risk that essay becomes very narrow in approach.
    Life Is Calling. Where Are You?
  • @AeroplaneDriver what kind of diagram you drew in your tourism essay?, any more examples can you give? thanks//
    Our survival instinct is our single greatest source of inspiration. - Dr. Mann
  • I have heard that if you can write an article like that of the Hindu then you can write a good essay.

I was thinking of drawing cartoons( the way Keshav does in The Hindu)

This I think will not only differentiate my essay from others but also show the humorous witty and creative side to the examiner.

What do you guys think?
    Mere gham pe hasne wale, tujhe konsi dua doon!
  • I have heard that if you can write an article like that of the Hindu then you can write a good essay.

I was thinking of drawing cartoons( the way Keshav does in The Hindu)

This I think will not only differentiate my essay from others but also show the humorous witty and creative side to the examiner.

What do you guys think?
    yaar..who said that to write like the hindu articles for essay?? that is not the right way...there is no connection with the hindu like article and an essay...editorial most of the times are different than the kind of essay upsc demands..
  • edited November 2015
    NFAK bhai ---

Bhai mujhe nahi pata " The Hindu " ke editorial jaisa kuch likhna padta hai bhi yaa nahi essay mein . .......mujhe is vishay mein kuch bhi idea nahi hai......

Lekin ek cheez confirm hai , aur wo ye ki ---- " The Hindu " ke editorial jaisa essay to main aane wale kai janmo tak NAHI likh paaunga , kyonki meri English us laayak hai hi nahi ......

Tuuti Fuuti English hai meri bhai , class 10th level ki .......ab usse zyada mujhe kuch aata bhi nahi hai aur naa main likh paaunga .......

Aage Bhagwaan maalik hai mera fir ...
  • wellcartoons in essay really grt idea r.k. laxman
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • thank you all for feedbacks.....

I will approach for flow charts and diagrams in essay only when it is relevant , looks needed very much for the essay...
  • @AeroplaneDriver what kind of diagram you drew in your tourism essay?, any more examples can you give? thanks//
    I drew a rough 'sketch' of Indian map. I'd divided it into 6 zones:

A. 4 corners, 1 centre
    B. Island groups.

Therein, I'd marked 12 locations - one extremely famous one, the other one was lesser heard but had potential to draw tourists. Like, for North India, I'd marked Chandigarh(famous) and Pokhran Fort(lesser heard), for South India, I'd marked Hampi(famous) and Lambasingi(in AP, not so famous), for 'East', I'd marked Darjeeling(famous) and Mawlynnong(not so famous) and etc etc.

The basic aim was to take the paper-checker to an all-India tour through my essay. I just wrote few lines of the above mentioned places, like Lambasingi in Andhra Pradesh experiences snowfall sometimes. These points along with the map were co-opted with the main body of the essay.

But I must admit the luck factor here. I like digging out lesser known facts of my country. It did help in exam. So, I can very safely conclude that I dont have the talent neither desirable skill to write an essay - it was sheer serendipity. A score of 148 last year can giggle me with less than 100 score this year. UPSC, I swear!

100 is also better...i got in 90s... :( my essay lacked all-india look. damn!!! i should have thought about it during exam...)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog