"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains 2017 : The Only Course you will need to Score 400+ in GS
Mains Foundation 2017 by Ravi R Chokkalingam – to cover GS Paper 2, Paper 3, Paper 1 (Social Issues), Ethics & Essay – with 4 Full Length Mock Tests.
Classes (Online | Offline) commence from 27th June for Mains Foundation, Mains Current Affairs, GS Paper III, Ethics & Essay

Call : 9555923039 for early bird discounts

History Optional Coaching 2014

edited August 2013 in Coaching & Websites
Hi All
I am a new member to this forum ...
am planning to go to delhi for 2014 mains prep
pls guide me about history optional coaching centre... i came across Carrer point and ALS as good for history ..pls pour our thoughts
am not sure if this is already discussed ...if so pls redirect me to the available lin
thanks in advance....
·

Comments

• Hi Sharmila,

From my personal experience of History coaching my advice would be to not do it :P It's completely manageable by yourself. Take up the IGNOU material available for free online and a text book or 2 in each of the 4 sections (Ancient, Medieval, Modern and World). What would help is to join a test series, which would keep you on track with respect to keeping a schedule and it'll give you access to a teacher and fellow aspirants with more experience to clear doubts and some support.

But if you still think you need the coaching, then if you are an absolute beginner Baliyan is supposed to be good, whereas if you are ready to do a lot of text book reading and preparation for class Hemant Jha at Career Point is supposed to be good.

Hope this helps.

IFS aspirant | History Optional | 3rd attempt | 2nd interview|
    ·
  • Hey Sharmila,

I second @descorpio86.
    I am doing classes in Career point(Hemant Jha sir).Have completed ancient n medieval portion and World history n Modern history classes are from june.
    And after taking coaching I have realized that History can definitely be done without any coaching.What is required is to see the recent previous years papers and to complete the reading of IGNOU material and some std books and preparing your own answers plus any test series which will help you to understand how to frame your answers.
    So I strongly suggest you not to take any coaching for history.This will save you 40k bucks and precious time which you can then devote to self study.
    And if you still think that you need coaching then Jha sir is very good teacher provided you have completed the basic readings.
    Battle lost !

..But the war still goes on..
    ·
  • @deep88 is there any way through which we can see some snapshots of your notes or practice questions by Jha sir so it might help us to make a decision regarding coaching at Jha Sir. It will certainly help a lot(pics through mobile will be great if u can)
    ·
  • @deep88
    the assistant there at hemant sir's institute told me that sir will cover modern and world history from june to sept and then there will be 1 month break to revise, and after that medieval and ancient wil be covered from november to february. Is it true?
    and what about answer writing practice, hemant sir himself evaluate every answer written by a student? Is hemant sir approachable for personal attention/doubt clearance?
    I am too a history optional student, I have already read all the basic texts and joining coaching only for answer writing practice. So confused b/w baliyan and hemant sir.
    ·
  • @robin27 yes definitely.I'll try to upload the snapshots but after 26th ! :)

Battle lost !

·
  • @A_R yes its true about the schedule of the classes.
    Hemant Jha sir doesnt take any answer writing sessions.Though he tells the answer formats of the topics he teaches.And yes he is always approachable for personal doubt clearance.
    Battle lost !

·
  • @deep88
    thanks a lot. :) :)
    can you please tell me from where have you done your GS??
    I am from chandigarh and coming delhi in may end. I had just heard about big names like vajiram, ALS, srriram but don't have any idea about the faculty and teaching level/comfort level of all these institutes. AS u r in delhi, can u tell me student's general reviews about these institutes?
    ·
  • @deep88 ok will be waiting for that
    ·
  • Hi @descorpio86. and Deep88
    thanks for ur suggestions...actually i have a fair idea of history ...i did not go for coachin i read myself
    since am comin to delhi from chennai ...i want to utilise the maximum ...i have left ma job recently so am not very sure bout the period of stay n delhi ..may be six months ...
    i have decided to join hemanth jha career point ...hope it helps me ...
    and i am planning to join Sriram ias for the new added syllabus ...if any one have any personal experience
    guide me on that....i learnt sriram is better than vaji from the discussions from internet source
    but since i dont know anybody personal who r in delhi am kinda confused...if u guys hav any idea let me know..
    ·
  • I've also heard the same reviews for gs over net and in this forum itself. Hence decided to join sriram. Have already deposited the fee of Rs. 35,000 for the additional syllabus. Classes starting from 13 june. I have opted for 8 - 10 a.m. batch. I hope it's going to be good.
    2012: Mains | 2013: Interview | 2014: IRTS | 2015: IPS | 2016: Uncharted Territory
    Step by step success is written in my destiny
    ·
  • Kindly tell the names and contact details of any broker ( genuine ) , you know for flat/rooms near ORN,Karol Bagh & MN area.
    It would be of great help.

Thnx
    What though the field be lost
    All is not lost
    The unconquerable will and the courage
    Never to submit or yield- Zahiruddin Babar
    ·
  • @Maxi
    we should send DD by speed post or courier right??how did u send?
    am also plannin to take 8 to 10 batch only ..
    ·
  • @Maxi
    we should send DD by speed post or courier right??how did u send?
    am also plannin to take 8 to 10 batch only ..
    I'm from Gurgaon, so gone there in person and deposited the fee by hand. I think any of speed post or courier will do. It should not be an issue. I think there are some more people here on this forum who are joining the same morning batch @ sriram's. It will be good to have a study group. Where are you from?
    2012: Mains | 2013: Interview | 2014: IRTS | 2015: IPS | 2016: Uncharted Territory
    Step by step success is written in my destiny
    ·
  • edited June 2013

I am from chennai....got 8-10 batch in sriram mains....
    ·
  • So who are finally joining hemant jha for history? ? Starting from 25th
    All is not lost
    ·
  • Hi Frenz,

I am planning to get postal material for History (Mains) - Hemant Jha Sir's material. Please let me know if any one has gone through the notes. How is it?
    ·
  • I'm going through it and I'm really finding it helpful.
    Enjoy the hard work.
    ·
  • I am not from Delhi, and planning to take History as optional for Mains 2014. Can you please suggest good distance learning course/ test series for History. Hemant Jha has been mentioned in this forum for notes, is the test series good too?
    ·
  • @Sinduja, Hemant sir do not take test series , on the contrast he is sort of against writing tests.He thinks that mains question level is quite high as compared questions asked in other coaching;s test . My frnd is taking Baliyan sir's tests and he is satisfied . My optional is also History ( appearing in 2014 ) I think if you really want to join test series, then go ahead with Baliyan.

Hope it helps.
    All is not lost
    ·
  • @arav_kumar2013 Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will look definitely look for Baliyan's test series and might go for it.
    ·
  • @arav_kumar2013
    The question was for distance learning test series. Does Baliyan sir has some provision for it too or @Sinduja you're planning to come to Delhi?
    Enjoy the hard work.
    ·
  • @JasmeetSingh I am looking for distance learning test series as am not planning to come to Delhi. @arav_kumar2013 Does Baliyan sir offer it? Thanks in advance
    ·
  • @Sinduja . IMO no one offers distance learning test series for Mains over here in Delhi. You should look for some good history teacher in your city for answer checking purpose.
    Enjoy the hard work.
    ·
  • i am coming to Delhi for IAS 2014 preparation. i have decided to take as optional.
    i don't want to go for coaching of history, but want to join a test series for history.
    please tell me which institute is the best for the History test series?? (for best evaluation).
    and when should i join it ? from starting?? means october??

please give ur view
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google